There is Nothing Wrong with Vista

Why is that people cannot like a product without being accused of being paid parrots from Apple/Microsoft/Sony/Nintendo/whatever-tech-company? :rolleyes:

I have no problem with people liking a product. But when EVERYONE here acts like I'm the only person in the world that hates Vista, then I smell something fishy. Nobody here agrees with me, yet all my friends, relatives, and co-workers agree. I would understand if SOME people agree and SOME disagree with me. But everyone here is disagreeing with me. So, I say that these responses I'm getting are biased.

Let me try asking this again because maybe people aren't seeing it as I'm not getting an answer. What version of Vista are you people using? I use Premium and so do my friends and family. Maybe it's just Premium that has problems.

I'm using Vista Ultimate 32-bit. I'd be running 64-bit if I could, but unlike retail Ultimate disks, I got mine from the university with a student discount (Vista Ultimate for $35 is a good deal no matter how you slice it ;) ), and it didn't come with the extra 64-bit disk. Ah well, I'll buy Windows 7 retail most likely, and go 64-bit with it (plus 7 will likely be in use for a while, so its worth having something I can transfer to my future builds :D).

Personally, my advice to anyone is to go 64-bit with Vista (and upgrade up to 4GBs of RAM since DDR2 is so cheap these days); might as well do it now so you're already future-proofed for Windows 7 (as in you're already accustomed to running things in 64-bit), and to enjoy possible performance boosts now. :D

I have no problem with people liking a product. But when EVERYONE here acts like I'm the only person in the world that hates Vista, then I smell something fishy. Nobody here agrees with me, yet all my friends, relatives, and co-workers agree. I would understand if SOME people agree and SOME disagree with me. But everyone here is disagreeing with me. So, I say that these responses I'm getting are biased.

It might be because you actually are in the minority here having problems. Try opening a new thread in this forum, state exactly what your problem is, what you have installed, and what hardware you have. (All of it.) Then we can try to help. :)

It does not appear that there are "millions" of people having problems.

The one thing I can agree on is Vista not being perfect. But, for one part it comes down to drivers and the hardware. Want an example?

Let's take my Dell XPS M1210 laptop as an example. There are two components in that laptop which has caused me the most grief - its onboard sound chip and the GPU. The chip's a Sigmatel STAC92xx chip. What was wrong with the onboard sound chip? The driver which first shipped with my laptop (let's keep in mind that this was one of Dell's very first laptops which came with Vista pre-installed, the M1210 is an XP-era laptop but when I got it in February 2007, it was no longer a 'Vista Capable' machine, but instead a plain 'Windows Vista' machine) sucked. Sound quality was terrible. I also tried XP, but found out that it was using the same garbage driver as well. Back in Vista, Microsoft's HD Audio driver worked perfectly. Later on Dell would release an updated Sigmatel driver that fixed these problems, just that they didn't list it as compatible with the M1210 when it clearly was.

As for the GPU. It's a GeForce Go 7400. The WDDM driver from Windows Update is trash. The first ForceWare sets were enough to get by, but caused a few problems in some games. I tried the modified drivers from laptopvideo2go.com but they had one serious problem with this GPU - occasionally the entire system will grind to a halt after resuming from standby. It would be almost a good year or so until Dell put a properly working Forceware set available on their site.

But anyways. Let's quickly summarize all your problems in Vista in one list:

- Shutdown freezing: I occasionally get this. I would agree that MS needs to work on brutally shutting down processes if they refuse to shut down.

- Wireless problems: Driver issue.

- Autoplay not working: Could it be some background program that's messing around? For instance, some burning suites stop autoplay from working when they're active, for obvious reasons.

- Windows Update freezing: no clue.

AVG, Zone Alarm, Spybot: AVG and Spybot are okay, I used to use both of them on my desktop. Zone Alarm is questionable. I still stand by the stock Windows Firewall for its ability to set different location profiles based on what network you're connected to.

I have no doubt that it runs fast. That I agree. But what's funny is that I buy a pre-installed XP Dell computer and no problems occurred. Yeah, XP did have issues but it was once in a blue moon. Now, I buy a pre-installed Vista Dell computer and I experience various types of issues all the time. Funny world, ain't it?

I could say that when I got a XP (Sony Vaio) machine back in 2003, I had problems. What was the issue? Whenever I was connected to the 'net using a modem, if some sound would play the system would lock up. No amount of driver updates fixed the issue. After much yelling at Sony's customer service I gave up and threw in a Sound Blaster card plus a dedicated graphics card. Problem went away.

XP-era machines aren't all that fault free as you make them out to be.

ROFLMAO, ok now I know who I'm talking to here. I won't be posting in this topic now because the replies I'm getting are really out of this world. No need for antispyware or anitvirus?? WTF is going on with the BS here?

Discussed already. You're applying pre XP SP2 era thinking to Vista.

Don't complicate my life = not complicated (self explanatory)

Reformat HD = complicated

Make up your mind. Reformatting the HD would cause more headaches. If it were that simple, I would've reformatted the HD and install XP instead. But life isn't as simple as that. I've heard horror stories from people who reformatted their HDs.

Do horror stories include "I tried to format my system, but OH **** I FORGOT I LEFT MY IMPORTANT DOCUMENTS IN THE WINDOWS FOLDER! NOW THEY'RE GONE!" :pinch: Those same people think upgrading hardware is like surgery. :pinch:

No, reformatting the hard drive isn't complicated. To make your life easier, why don't you isolate your personal stuff on another partition? Like your documents, videos, profile folders (i.e. for Firefox), etc. Then if your OS gets hosed your stuff's still intact. And yes I was doing this for XP as well.

It is surprisingly easy to redirect your profile folders - Desktop, Documents, Downloads, Favorites, Music, Pictures, Videos, for instance - to another drive. View their properties and check out the location tab.

OK, if Vista is so great, then why do many businesses refuse to use it. Where I work, they bought brand new computers and they all came with Vista. Then the IT department reformatted them with XP. Hmm. Why on earth would they remove such a wonderful OS???

Discussed already. Most applications used by everyday users work fine in Vista. Certain systems used in the corporate sector aren't ready yet. And - surprise - point of sales systems are still on 9x OSes! (though I did see one Vista POS machine a few weeks ago)

I think that's about it...

It might be because you actually are in the minority here having problems. Try opening a new thread in this forum, state exactly what your problem is, what you have installed, and what hardware you have. (All of it.) Then we can try to help. :)

It does not appear that there are "millions" of people having problems.

I did loooong time ago but got no response. I post my issues and get no response. I post here and say Vista is annoying and get nothing but flaming responses. Just shows who I'm dealing with here.

I did loooong time ago but got no response. I post my issues and get no response. I post here and say Vista is annoying and get nothing but flaming responses. Just shows who I'm dealing with here.

Every thread you created in this forum got at least two replies beside your own. Only one of them never seemed to get resolved, but you never bumped it to see if people were just missing it.

The one thing I can agree on is Vista not being perfect. But, for one part it comes down to drivers and the hardware. Want an example?

yeah, this is because these drivers are probably not Vista-compatible. Again, a Vista problem.

- Shutdown freezing: I occasionally get this. I would agree that MS needs to work on brutally shutting down processes if they refuse to shut down.

- Wireless problems: Driver issue.

- Autoplay not working: Could it be some background program that's messing around? For instance, some burning suites stop autoplay from working when they're active, for obvious reasons.

- Windows Update freezing: no clue.

The shutdown problem, I believe, is fixed. I uninstalled an old XP software and it seems to be ok now. But see, that software was ok with XP, but not with Vista. And I never had shutdown problems with XP. The wireless problem was fixed when I bought a new router. Apparently that router is not compatible with Vista as I've had no problems with that on XP. So, I have reason to believe that Vista is causing these issues.

Windows Update only freezes when I update Windows Defender. I have no clue why. But I don't download Defender updates anymore to avoid that problem from happening. The Autoplay problem I still have yet to solve.

Every thread you created in this forum got at least two replies beside your own. Only one of them never seemed to get resolved, but you never bumped it to see if people were just missing it.

Just because they got replies doesn't mean they were good ones. Some people posted vague responses or ones that didn't make sense.

I usually don't bump up threads because from past experiences, it just annoys people.

But you don't understand. When I had XP, NOTHING had to be fixed. Now I have Vista, I have to fix these issues because I have "crappy hardware/drivers" and stuff. This proves that Vista has a problem with certain hardware. XP never had hardware/driver issues like this. Even when I had a pre-installed XP computer, nothing had to be reformatted. Yes, these problems on Vista can be fixed. No doubt about it, but the fact that Vista is so sensitive that every little thing I do causes problems just proves that Vista isn't very stable. I repeat, I rarely had problems on XP.
yeah, this is because these drivers are probably not Vista-compatible. Again, a Vista problem.

If you put leaded fuel in a car which takes unleaded petrol, it is your problem. If you put contaminated fuel (without your knowledge) in your unleaded car, it is the fuel's problem. In both instances, it is not the car's problem.

As for the GPU. It's a GeForce Go 7400. The WDDM driver from Windows Update is trash. The first ForceWare sets were enough to get by, but caused a few problems in some games. I tried the modified drivers from laptopvideo2go.com but they had one serious problem with this GPU - occasionally the entire system will grind to a halt after resuming from standby. It would be almost a good year or so until Dell put a properly working Forceware set available on their site.

early FW for vista just few problem ???

> FW 100.xx

it s*** ***

graphic driver randomly restarting itself "the driver stopped working and recovered" dozen times

and i get some lovely random bsod , big thanks goes for the sooo great s&&&&& driver

games keep crushing

thank you so much nV for the unbroken drivers !

/scarism off

------------------

no problem now (using latest FW 178.15)

I'm all for pointing out what is wrong with Vista, but Windows is not going to magically become infected with viruses the very second you remove a virus scanner.

I've used Windows for years without any sort of virus scanner or spyware scanner running. (I perform manual scans, I don't like to have any utilities like that running full time)

That's a very ignorance response, sorry, but it just is.

If you magically come infected by a virus or something in Vista as soon as you don't use a Anti-virus scanner etc, then you (the user) is doing something wrong, maybe you lack a decent Firewall?

I haven't had a Virus in years, literally. Not because I'm ignorant or Arrogant, I'm just aware of what not to download and what I can download.

Anti-virus programs are tailored towards people who aren't very good at managing they're systems I feel. Anti-virus programs today just install a load of crap which is unnecessary and hog system performance.

Anyways, even if you had the best Anti-virus program in the world, they are only good at trying to prevent a virus from installing itself, but if one gets through, you are truely ****ed.

I see this one about your shutdown problem that you stopped responding in: https://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=672362

This one, where you asked if Vista was slower than XP, which isn't a support request and you never came back to: https://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=671592

This one, where you ask about replacing Vista with XP, which doesn't help you with your Vista issues: https://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=667542

These, about wireless issues where it appears you never got an answer that worked, but you never asked again, instead insisting we weren't providing valid information: https://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=659160 and https://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=651879

This one, about IE, where you stopped responding: https://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=649255

You provided the bare minimum information in each case to explain your problem, but not enough to help diagnose it. There are 100s of posts on Neowin every minute and it's easy to have yours bumped off the radar. If you don't reply somehow within a few days people generally assume your problem is gone.

Wait the minute. Non-Vista compatible drivers are Vista's fault? How is that Vista's fault when manufactures don't make their drivers for Vista? You do KNOW that XP OS's and Vista OS's architecture is VERY different right?

Install XP drivers in Windows 98 see if it works.

The shutdown problem, I believe, is fixed. I uninstalled an old XP software and it seems to be ok now. But see, that software was ok with XP, but not with Vista. And I never had shutdown problems with XP. The wireless problem was fixed when I bought a new router. Apparently that router is not compatible with Vista as I've had no problems with that on XP. So, I have reason to believe that Vista is causing these issues.

Again, Vista is NOT the same as XP. You don't go put XBOX game into PS2 console to play that game can you?

You have reasons to believe Vista is causing the problems but you need to take a moment and dig deeper into the issue to find out more.

It's like designing a hardware and your hardware is spec'ed to the limits that the customer wants then later on the customer goes beyond the spec'ed limits and bitch why does it NOT WORK?

Wait the minute. Non-Vista compatible drivers are Vista's fault? How is that Vista's fault when manufactures don't make their drivers for Vista? You do KNOW that XP OS's and Vista OS's architecture is VERY different right?

Install XP drivers in Windows 98 see if it works.

Again, Vista is NOT the same as XP. You don't go put XBOX game into PS2 console to play that game can you?

You have reasons to believe Vista is causing the problems but you need to take a moment and dig deeper into the issue to find out more.

It's like designing a hardware and your hardware is spec'ed to the limits that the customer wants then later on the customer goes beyond the spec'ed limits and bitch why does it NOT WORK?

And why exactly does Microsoft make their new OS like that? They can make Vista backwards compatible if they wanted to but they didn't in order to make cash.

And why exactly does Microsoft make their new OS like that? They can make Vista backwards compatible if they wanted to but they didn't in order to make cash.

They did make it backwards-compatible. I can still use software I bought 10 years ago on it.

I see this one about your shutdown problem that you stopped responding in: https://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=672362

My response: "I tried your steps and I went to HKEY CURRENT USER\Control Panel\Desktop, but there wasn't any AutoEndTasks entry." and got no response.

These, about wireless issues where it appears you never got an answer that worked, but you never asked again, instead insisting we weren't providing valid information: https://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=659160 and https://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=651879

yeah, I found the solution on my own. Nobody helped there. I asked people to recommend a good Vista router from that list I provided and instead I got nothing but insults.

This one, about IE, where you stopped responding: https://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=649255

Yeah, no solution there. I installed Mozilla and I haven't had a problem since. I have no idea why that IE problem occured, but based on some posts I've seen here, I'm not the only one with that problem.

Are you kidding?

How much do you actually know about how an operating system works, or what a driver is?

:|

I should alert Microsoft. I'm using an OS called Windows Vista that is backwards-compatible. I'm obviously a victim of software counterfeiting.

They did make it backwards-compatible. I can still use software I bought 10 years ago on it.

It's funny you can, yet I can't ;)

Only coz it's 64 bit though. Curse those 16 bit apps! :p

Not that anyone cares, but VISTA RC1 will recognize and read an old 5.25 inch

floppy drive.

http://www.vistax64.com/vista-hardware-dev....html#post74311

What do you want it to do, read punchcards?

It's funny you can, yet I can't ;)

Only coz it's 64 bit though. Curse those 16 bit apps! :p

I wasn't counting those. I'm using Vista x64 too. Fortunately, most apps that have a 16-bit installer are so low-horsepower they run fine in Virtual PC. :)

Guys PLEASE tell this gentleman here who in this forum hated and bashed Vista the most?

That's right...Me and guess what dude, like my thread title says: "There is Nothing Wrong with Vista"...NOTHING!!!!!!!!!!!

You need to format your HD, re-install it, update ALL your drivers and make sure your hardware is FULLY compatible with it and believe me...it WILL work. Trust me dude. I know what I am telling you. I've been where you are right now. I used to think just like you. Do the right thing. Again for the last time:

1. Re-Format

2. Re-install

3. Update ALL drivers

4. Make sure hardware is FULLY compatible

5. Have at least 4GB of memory.

6. Be happy!!!

Oh and BTW, please DO NOT disable any services, especially Superfetch. It makes Vista perform better on the long run. Trust me.

Guys PLEASE tell this gentleman here who in this forum hated and bashed Vista the most?

That's right...Me and guess what dude, like my thread title says: "There is Nothing Wrong with Vista"...NOTHING!!!!!!!!!!!

You need to format your HD, re-install it, update ALL your drivers and make sure your hardware is FULLY compatible with it and believe me...it WILL work. Trust me dude. I know what I am telling you. I've been where you are right now. I used to think just like you. Do the right thing. Again for the last time:

1. Re-Format

2. Re-install

3. Update ALL drivers

4. Make sure hardware is FULLY compatible

5. Have at least 4GB of memory.

6. Be happy!!!

Oh and BTW, please DO NOT disable any services, especially Superfetch. It makes Vista perform better on the long run. Trust me.

+1 disabling services in vista is pretty pointless. and superfetch makes things much more responsive. Programs (especially firefox and photoshop cs3) launch much faster on vista for me. If your hardware is fully compatible with vista and you have good drivers it WILL work fine. There are a few genuinely annoying bugs that are vista's fault (mainly the folder view bug for me) but besides that it is a fine os.

+1 disabling services in vista is pretty pointless. and superfetch makes things much more responsive. Programs (especially firefox and photoshop cs3) launch much faster on vista for me. If your hardware is fully compatible with vista and you have good drivers it WILL work fine. There are a few genuinely annoying bugs that are vista's fault (mainly the folder view bug for me) but besides that it is a fine os.

Agreed. The only app I couldn't really get to launch quickly was Word 2007, and I've since switched to OpenOffice 3 which loads almost instantly, but everything else is pretty damn fast.