There is Nothing Wrong with Vista

It's funny you can, yet I can't ;)

Only coz it's 64 bit though. Curse those 16 bit apps! :p

post-78314-1223876339_thumb.png

If I cant play SkiFree then Vista has no business on my PC :p

Somebody said something about Vista's shutdown freezing?

Surprise, same problem on XP. It's most likely a driver or a problem with another piece of software installed.

Not everything is Vista's fault, if anything, it's a good OS.

Are we guinea pigs?

Microsoft always does it, they just release an OS that is not fully functional, and then keep patching it whenever something pops up.

It's like a medicine company releasing a drug, and if someone kills from it, they modify it, if someone else becomes paralized, they modify it again.. I wonder how many people lost their data, etc because it took years for MS to release SP 1, 2, 3...

i partly agree with you on the guinea pig part, as you actually have a choice. they can't think of every possible hardware and usage scenario, can they? it's much easier to do so for apple, and noone is really expecting it from linux -- i think that's why win gets bashed so often, and that's why it takes these service packs and patches. if you wanna make it simple for yourself -- when a new win comes out, simply wait out till the sp1 and then move your precious production env. on it. simple. and if you read forums like these -- you will know about everything that might possibly go wrong until that

Everyone serious enough about Windows Vista and it's performance should also check this out:

https://ms.istreamplanet.com/springboard

Watch it trough .. especially your xraffle. I can understand if you don't understand every term used in that video, but it'll give a good idea on how and why Vista acts like it acts.

Ok I'll watch it

Edited by xraffle

Just to throw another spanner in the works.

I'm at college currently doing a degree course. At our college we have several computers that ran on XP last year. It was great. Microsoft pushed the college to update to vista cause 'it was better'.

The IT team had all summer to work on getting the system ready, an easy thing to do. They managed quite well.

Come September when people start enrolling the system went haywire! 5 weeks into the year and the IT team have abandoned vista. Labelled it as rubbish. The system was sent back to Microsoft and they had no idea what was causing it (so it wasn't just the department).

Personally I think vista is ok. Take a lot of system to run and it is a little laggy on older systems but it is good. On the other hand, my experience from college shows that is far from perfect.

Vista's been fine with me so far. Some things are a bit different than what I was used to, like the sleep button taking over the shutdown button or the clunky Explorer that often forgets my folder options. The DPI options seemed to be a last minute thing -- a custom DPI had the third Misc. shutdown item (the arrow) in the Start menu to be partially cropped off due to not having enough space and the icons looked jaggy in some parts. The UAC was an absolute pain in the butt the first time I installed Vista. Every folder change or installation came with some "Are you sure?" prompt. Had to search Google for a way to turn it off. I have it turned on again with TweakUAC.

But other then that, it's been fine. Searching is definitely a lot better.

sounds like a driver issue as home premium and ultimate are not that different except for a few features.have you applied sp1?what are your specs?have you checked for malware with malwarebytes?

I run Vista Ultimate primarily because of Ultimate Extras and the Remote Desktop Assistance (I'm the administrator of the house LAN); however, the system itself largely is old (the only two hardware components I have added since Vista itself shipped are the graphics and sound card, and both of those were upgrades; the graphics card was upgraded due to hardware failure, and the sound was a crossgrade so that my Mom, that also runs Vista Ultimate on her desktop, could move beyond onboard sound). I have had NO problems with Vista Ultimate (or with SP1) that were not related to dumb maneuvers on MY part (IBK errors, basically, with me being the idiot). Since Vista's launch, I've upgraded five other people from XP, and crossgraded two from Vista x86 to x64 (both running 64-bit single-core Celerons), and none have had a single issue (the last upgrade is a Dell OptiPlex GX260 that is older than my homebuilt midtower!).

OK, if Vista is so great, then why do many businesses refuse to use it. Where I work, they bought brand new computers and they all came with Vista. Then the IT department reformatted them with XP. Hmm. Why on earth would they remove such a wonderful OS???

Because your company's IT team has not upgraded all their scripts for the active directory and other infrastructure..

It is very complicated.

Only the Research side of the hospital at where I work supports Vista and the clinical side does not. However they did purchase 5000

licenses for Windows Vista Business, meaning we should have a roll-out eventually.

I wonder if other organizations have purchased the licenses but are in the process of migrating their infrastructure first..

Anyone else share this experience?

Basically what you are trying to say is that Windows Vista does not suite your needs as well as you believe Windows XP to have been.

But let's clear some things up.

So, I say that these responses I'm getting are biased.

Okay, but you got to understand that everything ever written by humans are biased. There is NO SUCH THING as "unbiased". Everyone is entitled to their own beliefs and comes from different backgrounds and education that influenced the works of a person, whether it is verbal, written, etc. Reading a book on WWII from an American writer and a German author may likely result in different highlights, even in factual matters, on the same subject. If you call the American writing about WWII biased because Americans were portrayed positively, do you call him/her biased? What if the American writer portrayed only Germans positively, isn't that another type of bias? Even if the writer wrote things on both German and American areas, there is no equal representation of facts and opinions that would be done by the writer to even unconsciously lead the reader in one direction.

There are areas that a person value and favor over another, and things that appeal to one more than another person. I'm not discussing moral relativism here, which is another subject (See: Kholberg's theory on moral development) but in general matter as in this forum thread. To illustrate, I have seen examples of publications explicitly favoring one product over another because of the company, or whatever. That's obvious 'bias' towards one company over another, but there are areas where sites are 'unbiased' simply because what the site values over another characteristic of a product matches the general opinion of the viewer (Eg. Price, quality, performance, etc). That is a form of bias that is normally not labeled as such.

To address your point, what you are getting here are biased, but you are biased and so are all your 'IT friends' that you have consulted, but there are different degrees and forms of bias-ness. The reason why you are labeling others as 'biased' is simply because what everyone else is suggesting does not match your general opinion, therefore you are labeling them as biased. What you are basically trying to say is that they are in fact wrong, and I can assure you that they are not. Everyone else that you have consulted as you've mentioned earlier is 'unbiased' because their opinion supports what you have preconceived of Vista already, which to the credit of such shows that you already have a opinionated preconception of Microsoft Windows Vista, which they have probably influenced you in other shape, way, or form before already.

For the record, I would highly encourage you to open up your mind and quit denying every suggestion like "omg formatting a hard drive is RIDICULOUS!!!!11!!1" and writing off every positive experiences of Vista and labeling them as "omg they are sooo wrong!" -- every 'biased' opinion have a degree of truth. And yes I'm a Vista user and I wrote this post without my computer crashing, no autoplay issues, yes my computer shuts down, and yes it performs well because I have quality, performance hardware from a clean Vista install.

Basically what you are trying to say is that Windows Vista does not suite your needs as well as you believe Windows XP to have been.

But let's clear some things up.

Okay, but you got to understand that everything ever written by humans are biased. There is NO SUCH THING as "unbiased". Everyone is entitled to their own beliefs and comes from different backgrounds and education that influenced the works of a person, whether it is verbal, written, etc. Reading a book on WWII from an American writer and a German author may likely result in different highlights, even in factual matters, on the same subject. If you call the American writing about WWII biased because Americans were portrayed positively, do you call him/her biased? What if the American writer portrayed only Germans positively, isn't that another type of bias? Even if the writer wrote things on both German and American areas, there is no equal representation of facts and opinions that would be done by the writer to even unconsciously lead the reader in one direction.

There are areas that a person value and favor over another, and things that appeal to one more than another person. I'm not discussing moral relativism here, which is another subject (See: Kholberg's theory on moral development) but in general matter as in this forum thread. To illustrate, I have seen examples of publications explicitly favoring one product over another because of the company, or whatever. That's obvious 'bias' towards one company over another, but there are areas where sites are 'unbiased' simply because what the site values over another characteristic of a product matches the general opinion of the viewer (Eg. Price, quality, performance, etc). That is a form of bias that is normally not labeled as such.

To address your point, what you are getting here are biased, but you are biased and so are all your 'IT friends' that you have consulted, but there are different degrees and forms of bias-ness. The reason why you are labeling others as 'biased' is simply because what everyone else is suggesting does not match your general opinion, therefore you are labeling them as biased. What you are basically trying to say is that they are in fact wrong, and I can assure you that they are not. Everyone else that you have consulted as you've mentioned earlier is 'unbiased' because their opinion supports what you have preconceived of Vista already, which to the credit of such shows that you already have a opinionated preconception of Microsoft Windows Vista, which they have probably influenced you in other shape, way, or form before already.

For the record, I would highly encourage you to open up your mind and quit denying every suggestion like "omg formatting a hard drive is RIDICULOUS!!!!11!!1" and writing off every positive experiences of Vista and labeling them as "omg they are sooo wrong!" -- every 'biased' opinion have a degree of truth. And yes I'm a Vista user and I wrote this post without my computer crashing, no autoplay issues, yes my computer shuts down, and yes it performs well because I have quality, performance hardware from a clean Vista install.

Ok, why are people still replying to a discussion that I thought was long over but yet people choose to ignore the "Autoplay" thread I started. Apparently, people are more interested in arguing rather than actually being helpful.

Ok, why are people still replying to a discussion that I thought was long over but yet people choose to ignore the "Autoplay" thread I started. Apparently, people are more interested in arguing rather than actually being helpful.

Ignore or overlook? A lot of us found this topic in the "Latest Forum Activity" above. Anyway, I checked it out, but I'm afraid I don't know the answer to that one.

Ok, looks like I'm going to have to take people's advice here and reformat as my computer is all messed up. When I can't get Auto Play to work nor can I get Windows Update to update, something is definitely all screwed up. But reformatting isn't going to be so easy. Boy! My friend isn't going to be so thrilled when he has to set up my wireless internet again as he ran through tons of problems when he set it up the first time. This is going to be fun!

Alright, I did what everyone suggested and my computer is fully reformatted. I installed all the drivers from CD that came with my computer. Everything went smoothly and you are all right. It was a snap, but it took about a half hour to do. But of course, my wireless needs to be set up and I don't know the security key, so I have to have my friend set that up when he gets back tomorrow night. Right now, I'm using his computer to use the internet. Hopefully, this will be the end of my Vista issues. If there is anything else I need to do in order to assure myself that these problems don't come back again, please let me know.

Thanks to all who helped. I really appreciate it.

My experience with Vista (both Home Basic and Home Premium) while not completely faultless has still been pretty great.

In fact I'm currently using my rather aged laptop at present while my gaming machine sits waiting for Far Cry 2. And Vista Home Basic is running just dandy with an old geforce 4 and just 512mb RAM.

I've not even had to disable anything to make it run pretty rapidly, even when doing several things at once and this machine only gets a 1.0 Vista rating.

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=247&tag=fdjust

The guy speaks the truth!

Just out of curiosity, why exactly does pre-installed Vista cause more problems? What make installing Vista myself any different from the way Dell did it when I ordered the computer?

cause it came with bloatwares

a lot of trialwares , junkware that screwup default system setting etc

I've been using Vista for quite sometime now and frankly, its a beautiful operating system that puts you in control of everything there is. It looks better, it performs better, its surely a step ahead. All said and done, its a new operating system and def needs some getting used to.

Can you believe it? Ever since I reformatted my computer, Vista is shutting down much faster than before. It used to take a while to shut down and sometimes it would freeze. I guess I had some bloatware running and Vista sometimes struggled to shut it down.