Mac's - are they overpriced?

i agree with this and that's not right. you can make windows and any other os look just as good for free.

Some people want to pay the money for it. So let them.

I have, I'm happy with mine, I'll admit its over priced, but I have the money to spend and I rather spend that extra 300 on a Mac than save that 300 and get a Dell.

Its really that simple. So I don't see what everyone else is arguing about...

I think its sorta ridiculous for someone to argue that a Mac can be better value for money on hardware alone. Its got a posh badge. If you want it, pay extra for it. Really lmao. Thats that. Sure there is the unibody and the "experience" but why does people always fail to mention the POSH BADGE.

...I love my posh badge, its about time the rest of you admit you do too...:/

Although just to be cheeky. BMW, Benz, Ferrari wasn't born with the badge. Every badge come from somewhere. BMW, Benz, Ferrari are posh because they really are proper cars. Apple was really down and out in the mid to late 90s, maybe there is a reason why their badge is now posh. And don't tell me its marketing alone.

I think the best way to sum it up is this. You know how some say there is that "Ferrari magic" about well...a Ferrari? You can't exactly say what gives it that magic can you? Is it the speed? the technology? the badge? the color? No one really knows but its there. People trip over themselves to pay for a Ferrari if they have the money when they can probably get something just as reliable (if not more), just as quick, just as pretty for a lot less. Its the same thing with Apple. There is a sort of "Apple magic" that Dell, or HP or Asus can't replicated. Is it the performance? Is it the technology? the badge? the brush aluminum? Again, no one really knows but its there. Yes you have to pay a little something extra for that extra bit of "magic" but from the way things are going, there obviously are no shortage of people who have the money and are more than willing spend it for that magic.

But at the end of the day. Magic is still just magic right? A trick of the eye. ;) but yet, unbelievability fascinating.

The argument here is not whether or not Mac's are overpriced. The argument (and the only one that matters) is are Mac's overpriced to you.

End. Of. Discussion.

Edited by NeoXY

I'd say they are overpriced to the majority of consumers (and to me personally).

it doesn't matter if you are rich and can afford them they are still overpriced. they are overpriced because there isn't much competition. if you want to use macintosh then you have to buy the computer of apple. if you want to use windows you have a huge variety to choose from: hp/toshiba/dell/acer etc.

You edited your post isn't?

Whatever... you didn't liked any example, so I went looking oh HP US store for a 15" laptop to compare it to the $2000 MacBook Pro you are talking about.

HP dv5tse (Costom) Vs Apple Macbook Pro (Base Model)

Price USD with shipping w/h rebate: $1795 / $2000

CPU: T9400 2.53GHz - 6MB - 35W / P8600 2.4GHz - 3MB - 25W

RAM: 4GB DDR2 800MHz? / 2GB DDR3 1066MHz

Chipset / Graphic: Intel GM45 w/x4500MHD ONLY / nVidia 9400 w/ External 9600GT

HardDrive: 250GB for both

Software: Vista Ultimate + Roxio Photosuite + Cyberlink DVD Suite / MacOSX + iLife '08

Battery life: 12 Cell big size for around 5-6H Battery life / 6 Cells internal for 5H

Screen: 15.4" 1680x1050 Glass? / 15.4" 1440x900 LED Backlit Glass

Keyboard: Normal / separated keys with Backlit

Casing: Normal plastic case... / Aliminium full case in 4 parts

Trackpad: Synaptic standard + 2 buttons / Glass trackpad with 1 button under

Power source: Big adapter with normal plug / Small thing with magsafe

That much overpriced?

The 25W is less powerful but obviously cost more than a regular 35W 2.5GHz.

Ok, for RAM, the HP wins, but MacOSX have a better memory management.

Overpriced? Look the Graphic power it have, the 9400 alone can beat by two or more time the x4500MHD

http://www.pcgameshardware.com/aid,665014/...tel_G45/?page=1

Overpriced? You get the Full MacOSX + iLife '08, no versions to choose, it end there...

Look the big oversized battery pack, it go out of the case... The 6Pack Extended battery is claimed to give 3h30 with no wireless activity, the Mac give 5h WITH wireless use.

About the screen, well, the Glossy thing is a per user choice, but the resolution is definitely better on the HP. Now, the thing that I don't know is about the quality, the MacPro is targeted to graphic professionals tough.

Look at the casing, there nothing to comment about, the aluminum beat the competition for it's sturdiness, style, lightness. Again there, you think that Aluminum is cheaper than Plastic? There is Extra Cost, that for sure...

The trackpad, well a glass multitouch trackpad may have some extras isn't?

There ONE thing that Apple SUCKS...

It's ports, seriously, there Apple Sucks on this.

The result?

Well, it may be overpriced in "some" ways but it really have some features that make it special.

Yes, I also think they are. But that's also one of their few disadvantages. So it depends a bit on how you look at it. A higher price than I had wanted to pay for it wasn't a decisive factor for me.

You edited your post isn't?

Whatever... you didn't liked any example, so I went looking oh HP US store for a 15" laptop to compare it to the $2000 MacBook Pro you are talking about.

HP dv5tse (Costom) Vs Apple Macbook Pro (Base Model)

Price USD with shipping w/h rebate: $1795 / $2000

CPU: T9400 2.53GHz - 6MB - 35W / P8600 2.4GHz - 3MB - 25W

RAM: 4GB DDR2 800MHz? / 2GB DDR3 1066MHz

Chipset / Graphic: Intel GM45 w/x4500MHD ONLY / nVidia 9400 w/ External 9600GT

HardDrive: 250GB for both

Software: Vista Ultimate + Roxio Photosuite + Cyberlink DVD Suite / MacOSX + iLife '08

Battery life: 12 Cell big size for around 5-6H Battery life / 6 Cells internal for 5H

Screen: 15.4" 1680x1050 Glass? / 15.4" 1440x900 LED Backlit Glass

Keyboard: Normal / separated keys with Backlit

Casing: Normal plastic case... / Aliminium full case in 4 parts

Trackpad: Synaptic standard + 2 buttons / Glass trackpad with 1 button under

Power source: Big adapter with normal plug / Small thing with magsafe

That much overpriced?

The 25W is less powerful but obviously cost more than a regular 35W 2.5GHz.

Ok, for RAM, the HP wins, but MacOSX have a better memory management.

Overpriced? Look the Graphic power it have, the 9400 alone can beat by two or more time the x4500MHD

http://www.pcgameshardware.com/aid,665014/...tel_G45/?page=1

Overpriced? You get the Full MacOSX + iLife '08, no versions to choose, it end there...

Look the big oversized battery pack, it go out of the case... The 6Pack Extended battery is claimed to give 3h30 with no wireless activity, the Mac give 5h WITH wireless use.

About the screen, well, the Glossy thing is a per user choice, but the resolution is definitely better on the HP. Now, the thing that I don't know is about the quality, the MacPro is targeted to graphic professionals tough.

Look at the casing, there nothing to comment about, the aluminum beat the competition for it's sturdiness, style, lightness. Again there, you think that Aluminum is cheaper than Plastic? There is Extra Cost, that for sure...

The trackpad, well a glass multitouch trackpad may have some extras isn't?

There ONE thing that Apple SUCKS...

It's ports, seriously, there Apple Sucks on this.

The result?

Well, it may be overpriced in "some" ways but it really have some features that make it special.

relax there buddy, i can see your a die hard apple fan. don't worry no one is bashing your favorite os maker. just face the facts that apple would do better if they would lower there prices.

when comparing laptops you should also consider portability, how much do they weigh? heavier or lighter than normal windows laptops?

...damn, wanna ditch my desktop and get an imac or a macbook even... :p

Yes, they're vastly overpriced. One thing that i've never understood is why macs(both desktop and notebook) are priced hundreds and hundreds of dollars higher than others computers, while pretty much always using inferior hardware. Mac OS isn't worth THAT much to justify the extreme premium. Nor are their designs.

But then again, it's apple. Everything with their name on it is always priced way higher than things that do exactly the same thing their product does.

i admit they look nice but how do they "last longer" ?

They seem to be more reliable and work without problems for longer, could have to do with their design or build quality.

For example, compare the build quality of a cheap Dell or HP PC to an Apple computer.

.. using inferior hardware..

:laugh: What inferior hardware are you blurting about?

Both Dell and HP have better build quality in my experience (Y)

Well, I have a HP DC7800SFF right here.

It looked great in the catalog but in reality it looks and feels very cheaply made, and is not at all solid or well designed.

I'm sorry but I'm gonna have to stop you there

1. It has already been proved that Vista is the most secure OS.

2. The number of viruses for Macs rose by 1300% last year online.

3. Graphics for Macs are just dreadful and theres no denying that.

1. Well gee - how long did it take for Microsoft to get that right? Windows has been the industry whipping boy for years when it comes to security, and deservedly so. So they finally release a secure version of Windows, whilst other vendors have had a grasp of security for years, and suddenly Microsoft is security king? Give me a break.

2. I, like most Mac owners, won't be installing antivirus any time soon. Really.. I'm not even remotely concerned about virii yet.

3. What planet are you on? I think you've just used language badly to explain what you're trying to say.. I'm assuming by graphics you mean gaming on the Mac, simply because people continue to not make games for OSX (well.. except Blizzard). The Mac has been the industry standard for graphic design since forever because of how seriously Apple takes things relating to design such as the replication of colour on screen and in print, accuracy of fonts, etc etc.. and certainly the rendering engine in OSX which provides all of the nice glossy effects was way WAY ahead of what Windows had to offer, and in many respects still is!

Good god... this thread makes my head hurt.

They seem to be more reliable and work without problems for longer, could have to do with their design or build quality.

For example, compare the build quality of a cheap Dell or HP PC to an Apple computer.

You said it yourself, if you compare the build quality of something cheap with something expensive...what do you think you will get! Maybe it would be better to compare...I don't know...maybe laptops that cost the same?

Good god... this thread makes my head hurt.

Excellent and knowledgeable replies Chicane-UK. :pinch:

And yeah, I've just about given up on this thread too.

So :shifty: how many Windows fan-boys does it take to change a light bulb?

None, the light bulb is working as intended.

I'll just have to reply with a few words.

In my opinion, as an Apple MacBook Pro owner, is that they are quite harshly overpriced. But they have their reasons, and I think the first and biggest issue is with a large user-base, with which you get: interest in writing viruses and more software developers resulting in more crapware (as in poorly written applications, which continues to be Windows' main flaw).

The hardware itself I cannot speak of. I am one user, and one user that have encountered more trouble with my Macintosh computers than with my PC's. But that may be bad luck, or it may not. Fact is people always tell you how great Apple quality is, but the question is if that's all lies or truth or something in between. If it's true, then the statement 'overpriced' suffers a loss, but if it's not true than it certainly can be written with bold letters.

All in all, you get a complete system. In my case at current date, a beautiful MacBook with a half-decent monitor (better, in my opinion, than it's PC counterparts even though they may offer higher resolution), an operating system with an awesome framework for building software (Cocoa) which results in better performance and less crashes, and a bundle of too many applications including: GarageBand with lots of samples, a video editor, a photo management application, document/image file viewer for various formats, et cetera. The software bundles, although I usually don't keep 'em, are superior to those of Windows (Vista). And that's just the first-impression-applications, what's beneath it is even more cute!

Just to make sure you got it right; I'm absolutely neutral. I have my moments when I shout at either of my computers, there are times I yell "f**k Microsoft!" or "f**k Apple!". But in the end, it's just money. If you can't afford one, then bad luck *or* save money if you really want one. It's always possible. If you want to bash and complain, buy a "PC" instead.

I'll just have to reply with a few words.

In my opinion, as an Apple MacBook Pro owner, is that they are quite harshly overpriced. But they have their reasons, and I think the first and biggest issue is with a large user-base, with which you get: interest in writing viruses and more software developers resulting in more crapware (as in poorly written applications, which continues to be Windows' main flaw).

The hardware itself I cannot speak of. I am one user, and one user that have encountered more trouble with my Macintosh computers than with my PC's. But that may be bad luck, or it may not. Fact is people always tell you how great Apple quality is, but the question is if that's all lies or truth or something in between. If it's true, then the statement 'overpriced' suffers a loss, but if it's not true than it certainly can be written with bold letters.

All in all, you get a complete system. In my case at current date, a beautiful MacBook with a half-decent monitor (better, in my opinion, than it's PC counterparts even though they may offer higher resolution), an operating system with an awesome framework for building software (Cocoa) which results in better performance and less crashes, and a bundle of too many applications including: GarageBand with lots of samples, a video editor, a photo management application, document/image file viewer for various formats, et cetera. The software bundles, although I usually don't keep 'em, are superior to those of Windows (Vista). And that's just the first-impression-applications, what's beneath it is even more cute!

Just to make sure you got it right; I'm absolutely neutral. I have my moments when I shout at either of my computers, there are times I yell "f**k Microsoft!" or "f**k Apple!". But in the end, it's just money. If you can't afford one, then bad luck *or* save money if you really want one. It's always possible. If you want to bash and complain, buy a "PC" instead.

Is everyone in Sweden as reasonable as you are? :)

If so, get them on to Neowin, fast. You'll be doing everyone here a favour.

I read something a few days ago (will try and find link again) with someone explaining the level of detail they went into designing the new aluminum Macbooks. Take for instance the thumbscoop. As they didn't want to have a clip to open the lid, they tried out hundereds of variants of the thumbscoop to get the exact right size to get the correct pressure, even looking at it under an electron microscope.

I was guinely quite suprised they'd go to those lengths, and the macbook is full of loads of little details like that. I used to think Mac products were totally overpriced, but now I see they at least go the extra mile for it.

So basically from this 24 page thread (or God knows, maybe it'll reach 100 pgs :p) if you have the money and want a mac, go buy one; if not just pass by peacefully. :)