Mac's - are they overpriced?

Definitely not overpriced... my friend picked up a brand new Blackbook for $1299 CAD. Yeah, its the old model, but for $1299 its a steal... especially considering I paid $1049 for my brand new plastic Macbook with student discount.

Definitely not overpriced... my friend picked up a brand new Blackbook for $1299 CAD. Yeah, its the old model, but for $1299 its a steal... especially considering I paid $1049 for my brand new plastic Macbook with student discount.

well if you have the $$ to blow, then good for you. like i said i was in the apple store last night at the mall and it was dead as can be. only a few people looking, not buying. the prices are outrageous as far as im concerned. for what id spend on a slower macbook i could build a super fast custom desktop pc with loads of extra's.

well if you have the $$ to blow, then good for you. like i said i was in the apple store last night at the mall and it was dead as can be. only a few people looking, not buying. the prices are outrageous as far as im concerned. for what id spend on a slower macbook i could build a super fast custom desktop pc with loads of extra's.

a super fast custom desktop pc with loads of extras, bar portability... Yeah, sounds grrrrrrrreat to me... :p

I got my 1.83GHz white macbook (2nd hand) for ?100 off a friend's shop... That aint overpriced to me...:pp

I don't see how that's a "steal."

Outdated parts for $1300? A Dell XPS M1330 is cheaper, lighter, and has better specs than the old plastic Macbooks. The blackbook was a huge ripoff when it was still available. The aluminum Macbooks, on the other hand, I feel are worth their price considering the build quality and components which I'd say are comparable to the Sony Vaio SR series.

Not to mention that your friend could've gotten the aluminum Macbook for $50 more with the student discount (which Apple doesn't check anyways).

I'm sorry but I'm gonna have to stop you there

1. It has already been proved that Vista is the most secure OS.

2. The number of viruses for Macs rose by 1300% last year online.

3. Graphics for Macs are just dreadful and theres no denying that.

There are currently ZERO viruses in the wild for OS X, and no documented infections in the wild. Ever.

Not five. Not two. Not one. Nada. Nothing.

It's been like this since OS X's release on March 24th, 2001.

What are "graphics" on a Mac? If were talking about the way in which the OS leverages hardware capability to run eye candy, then OS X will do better and with far fewer resources. Then again, Vista eye-candy is a different from OS X eye-candy. I'm not even sure the comparison should be made to begin with.

If we're talking about games, then it depends on the videocard.

Edited by LTD

There are currently ZERO viruses in the wild for OS X, and no documented infections in the wild. Ever.

What are "graphics" on a Mac? If were talking about the way in which the OS leverages hardware capability to run eye candy, then OS X will do better and with far fewer resources. Then again, Visa eye-candy is a different from OS X eye-candy. I'm not even sure the comparison should be made to begin with.

as i said before both osx & linux will one day require security software other than a firewall.

No one can prove YOU over paid for your $1300 Macbook. That's not the question. If you feel you got your moneys worth, then you didn't over pay. It doesn't matter what anyone says or what price sheet they present. Was you Macbook worth $1300 to YOU? Then who gives a crap that some random person on the net says?
I do think the new Alu MacBooks are worthy.

Now, people and this thread say no it's not, so I request them to stop fooling arround just bashing Apple and start giving REAL proof.

Look at all posts that says: "Yes, Mac are overpriced"

Now search for ports that give real proof of what they are telling, you find some? Any posted links? Info? Anything substantial to be a proof other than just what they says them self?

What the point to argument something with nothing?

Where are the facts, the proofs, links of what people are saying?

I still wait for someone to bring something factual.

Until then, this thread is just an useless flame war in the clouds...

What are "graphics" on a Mac? If were talking about the way in which the OS leverages hardware capability to run eye candy, then OS X will do better and with far fewer resources. Then again, Vista eye-candy is a different from OS X eye-candy. I'm not even sure the comparison should be made to begin with.

No viruses = ballocks

Just google it. There are reported viruses. You're diluded, and like to pretend that life in your "safe" little Mac world is all bliss...

I do think the new Alu MacBooks are worthy.

Now, people and this thread say no it's not, so I request them to stop fooling arround just bashing Apple and start giving REAL proof.

Look at all posts that says: "Yes, Mac are overpriced"

Now search for ports that give real proof of what they are telling, you find some? Any posted links? Info? Anything substantial to be a proof other than just what they says them self?

What the point to argument something with nothing?

Where are the facts, the proofs, links of what people are saying?

I still wait for someone to bring something factual.

Until then, this thread is just an useless flame war in the clouds...

i told you i just saw a macbook last night at the apple store for $2000 with lower end specs. that = OVERPRICED !!!!

i told you i just saw a macbook last night at the apple store for $2000 with lower end specs. that = OVERPRICED !!!!

Lol, rip off eh. I could build a Core i7 for that much

Seems like some of you people just like to flame. Well, my mistake hoping for some of you to understand reasons. :/

lower end specs against what?

Lol, rip off eh. I could build a Core i7 for that much

yeah no kidding, i mean apple products look nice but they are not high end specs and cost way too much for my tastes and alot of other peoples too.

im not bashing it, but come on, i could make linux look exactly like leopard for free. :laugh:

lower end specs against what?

against most desktops & laptops with the exception of alienware.

i just bought my laptop in September for $600 out the door.

HP Pavilion dv6809wm Entertainment Notebook :

AMD Turion 64X2 2.0GHz.

Nvidia Geforce 7150m

4GB DDR2 Ram

320GB Hard Drive

Atheros AR5007 802.11 b/g

Windows Vista Home Premium x64 SP1

the macbook i saw had 2 gigs of ram and a 120gb hdd with a core2duo i believe. that again= overpriced

I don't see how that's a "steal."

Outdated parts for $1300? A Dell XPS M1330 is cheaper, lighter, and has better specs than the old plastic Macbooks. The blackbook was a huge ripoff when it was still available. The aluminum Macbooks, on the other hand, I feel are worth their price considering the build quality and components which I'd say are comparable to the Sony Vaio SR series.

Not to mention that your friend could've gotten the aluminum Macbook for $50 more with the student discount (which Apple doesn't check anyways).

The Blackbook may be "outdated" in terms of hardware, but isn't everything now days? The big point is with a Mac is that they tend to last longer overall and they hold their resale value, plus you are getting top-notch customer service and support that actually understand any issues you may have and do their best to resolve them.

In terms of the Dell XPS model, they are lacking in build quality in many areas, the parts are cheap and the machines tend to not be put together well (I have seen many come through my office with uneven casing parts, warped keyboards, and bad hinges). Not to mention that the first time you boot up an OEM PC you are presented with about ten bubble pop-ups in the system tray, followed by Norton/McAfee/Acme Inc. Internet Security activation prompts, followed by a bunch of other things strewn about, and many of these annoyances will remain for the life of the PC (unless you know what you're doing and format the machine clean). With a Mac, you take it out of the box, turn it on, select the language you want and enter your name and some other information that might take all of 3 minutes, and you're presented with a clean desktop with no added software besides Apple's iLife suite or any other applications you chose to have pre-loaded at the factory.

Apple isn't targeting to every audience out there, PC gamers or gadget geeks who love to disassemble everything in their house, a Mac probably isn't for you. For those who don't care about exactly how things work and just want to get their work done easily and have a little fun, or for those of you who want to try something different, then it's definitely something to consider.

I myself was a Windows programmer prior to switching to the Mac early this year. I had dabbled with Macs before (an older PowerBook G3 with Panther, a snow-white iMac (CRT) with Panther, and some older models running classic Mac OS previous to playing with Mac OS X) but never really liked the feel of it, mostly because I was so deep into Windows that I couldn't break the mould; I even played around with Panther inside of PearPC for some time when that project was active. My breaking point was when Mac OS X 10.5 hit the osx86 scene and I decided to give it a whirl on a notebook that I had kicking around, and while some things wouldn't work (Ethernet, Wi-Fi, and sound), I absolutely loved the way it felt, so I wound up making a trip to an Apple retailer to play around with some Macs and I fell right in love with them, haven't looked back since.

Edited by Mercellus

So, you are avoiding to answer my question, you guys compare a laptop to a desktop, you compare an out of the box OS to a customized Linux...

Is that all what you can bring on? And you call this not bashing it?

Lol sanctified, boring isn't?

So, you are avoiding to answer my question, you guys compare a laptop to a desktop, you compare an out of the box OS to a customized Linux...

dude, i just gave you an example of a macbook against my hp laptop. no ones bashing apple, but the prices are outrageous and not worth it IMO unless you like to splurge your $$$.

dude, i just gave you an example of a macbook against my hp laptop. no ones bashing apple, but the prices are outrageous and not worth it IMO unless you like to splurge your $$$.

I'd love to know which MacBook you were looking at that is $2,000, it must have been the MacBook Pro, which wouldn't even fall in the same customer/pricing segment as your HP Pavilion Entertainment notebook. The newer model HP Pavilions that are remotely worth using are selling for $999.00 + applicable taxes and environmental fees at our local Staples Business Depot, which is pretty much on par with the white MacBook that is still available.

(Oh, and please keep an eye on the hinges on your HP, the dv6000 and dv9000 series have a long history of hinges going to hell after about a year an a half, if you notice anything at all call HP at your earliest convenience).

I'd love to know which MacBook you were looking at that is $2,000, it must have been the MacBook Pro, which wouldn't even fall in the same customer/pricing segment as your HP Pavilion Entertainment notebook. The newer model HP Pavilions that are remotely worth using are selling for $999.00 + applicable taxes and environmental fees at our local Staples Business Depot, which is pretty much on par with the white MacBook that is still available.

(Oh, and please keep an eye on the hinges on your HP, the dv6000 and dv9000 series have a long history of hinges going to hell after about a year an a half, if you notice anything at all call HP at your earliest convenience).

the specs of my laptop are far superior to what i saw from apple last night. even $999 is cheaper than $2000 man.

i doubt ill keep this laptop anyways for that long, but for now it does the job.

Alright. My laptop. $2000 NZD, Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, Dual 7200RPM 160GB HDDs, 17" Monitor, ATI Radeon 2600HD, HDMI.

Macbook. 2.4GHz

* Intel Core 2 Duo

* 2GB DDR3 Memory

* 250GB hard drive1

* NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics

* Illuminated keyboard

* Aluminum unibody - $2899.00 NZD

Hold on, hold on. The features are a illuminated keyboard? And a aluminum body? Is that all you've got to go on?

Yeah, I compare Unix and Windows out of the box.

I can get Unix, that comes feature complete, but I can't do anything else on it.

Or Windows, that maybe lacks that build in Office Suite, but I sure can play games and install whatever the hell I want on it.

Alright. My laptop. $2000 NZD, Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, Dual 7200RPM 160GB HDDs, 17" Monitor, ATI Radeon 2600HD, HDMI.

Macbook. 2.4GHz

* Intel Core 2 Duo

* 2GB DDR3 Memory

* 250GB hard drive1

* NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics

* Illuminated keyboard

* Aluminum unibody - $2899.00 NZD

Hold on, hold on. The features are a illuminated keyboard? And a aluminum body? Is that all you've got to go on?

Yeah, I compare Unix and Windows out of the box.

I can get Unix, that comes feature complete, but I can't do anything else on it.

Or Windows, that maybe lacks that build in Office Suite, but I sure can play games and install whatever the hell I want on it.

you paid $2000 for those specs in a laptop ?

i love how these threads turn into os flame wars.

you paid $2000 for those specs in a laptop ?

i love how these threads turn into os flame wars.

NZD, it's crap all really. (also, 6 months ago) - that's around $1000USD i think

HAha...yeah, it is rather amusing

NZD, it's crap all really. (also, 6 months ago) - that's around $1000USD i think

HAha...yeah, it is rather amusing

As of right now according to XE.com, 1,000.00 USD = 1,865.83 NZD.

This is what happens when the economy goes to hell.

As of right now according to XE.com, 1,000.00 USD = 1,865.83 NZD.

This is what happens when the economy goes to hell.

Dayum, that's pretty shocking actaully lol.

@McDave - But the touchsmart actually has touch features