Mac's - are they overpriced?

LTD
So basically from this 24 page thread (or God knows, maybe it'll reach 100 pgs :p) if you have the money and want a mac, go buy one; if not just pass by peacefully. :)

That about sums it up.

If this were an experiment or study of some kind, we would have actually gotten government funding in order to arrive at that conclusion.

EcPercy

Definitely overpriced when compared to other laptops. Since they are using Intel now I assume the hardware is mostly the same as PC and yet the price difference is pretty substantial. My favorite thing I saw about a macbook pro was the power cord. I wish other laptop makers would just license it from apple. I love the idea that if your cord was snagged on something it just drops out and doesn't pull the laptop across the room.

Jub

Apple would never sell-out one of their inventions. That's like giving the recipe for a new cookie to a rival cookie bakery.

As for being the same parts, I'm quite sure Apple have deals with (at least) Intel and nVIDIA that allows them to receieve components of top quality with a guarantee of it. Compare that to a PC, read overclocking forums and such, people are actually grateful if their unit is decently manifactured.

@LTD,

I wouldn't extend my selfishness as to agreee on myself being reasonable, although I try! But I can with much confidence tell you that there are about as many people here with equal intellect to various countries all over. That is, people you'd rather see not visit your favourite board :lol:

39 Thieves
I wouldn't want to go near a mac, only cos of steve jobs tho.

and it has to be said, Compiz on Linux blows anything clean outta the water in terms of shinyness in a window-manager.

I nearly spit out my coffee. Thanks for that!

...oh...wait...you were serious?

d10p

Apple has gotten a lot better in terms of pricing their products over the years. Hell, I was an early adopter of the iPods (3G), for 20GB it cost ~$600CAD... ridiculous!

As time goes buy, the technology needed to make some of these laptops get cheaper.

I believe the MacBook isn't overpriced... try to find a similar spec'd 13" with such a sleek design for a lower price... you can't.

Also, considering the iMacs come with high-quality displays in them, I'd say they are pretty decently priced, although there is a bit more of a premium.

The MacBook Pro, and the Mac Pro, seem to be the most overpriced for the specs... but when you look at their whole product line, their pricing does seem to make some sort of sense.

Chicane-UK
I nearly spit out my coffee. Thanks for that!

...oh...wait...you were serious?

Indeed. Compiz is very pretty, and does lots of cool stuff - but it's still far too rough round the edges and is about a 1,000 miles away from having the polish that the OSX compositing / effects engine has. The OSX system is seamless and completely reliable - Compiz does weird stuff, you get tearing, and other such delights.

I think Compiz is a huuuge step forward on the Linux desktop and provides lots of lovely sparkle that was missing for too long but it's just nowhere near ready for primetime yet. I've no doubt its day will come though!

Srugie

I've always found them to be very overpriced for the hardware that you are recieving.

DavidM
As for being the same parts, I'm quite sure Apple have deals with (at least) Intel and nVIDIA that allows them to receieve components of top quality with a guarantee of it. Compare that to a PC, read overclocking forums and such, people are actually grateful if their unit is decently manifactured.

I always laugh when people post stuff like this, please for the love of god show me where or how you know this. Have you seen the super secret Apple invoice listing the parts as "APPLE ONLY - TOP QUALITY + GUARANTEE"

Do you honestly believe Intel and nVidia are going to tell people, "Sorry all the good **** is going to Apple, here are some components of lesser quality"

Jub

Most likely not, DavidM, but as they order large quantities of the same item there are more possibilities of a fine manufacturing. I haven't said that I am right, I might be wrong, but I strongly believe this to be the case since I can re-call reading it a few times as well.

If you are a PC user, and an experienced one, you must know that there are differences from cpu to cpu et cetera.

"For the love of God" made me chuckle - thank you. :)

NienorGT

The most funny thing is half of people that complain here have %INSERT POPULAR BRANDNAME HERE% shoes, cloths, watches, fashion stuff that ARE overpriced...

scrtsqurrl
That about sums it up.

If this were an experiment or study of some kind, we would have actually gotten government funding in order to arrive at that conclusion.

And no doubt a committee would have been formed (1.3 brains, 6 or more legs) :D

Couldn't agree more. Can't afford one, don't want one? Don't buy one! Also don't trash talk what you can afford.

I've always found them to be very overpriced for the hardware that you are recieving.

Thanks for copying my avatar :angry:

ienhz
I read something a few days ago (will try and find link again) with someone explaining the level of detail they went into designing the new aluminum Macbooks. Take for instance the thumbscoop. As they didn't want to have a clip to open the lid, they tried out hundereds of variants of the thumbscoop to get the exact right size to get the correct pressure, even looking at it under an electron microscope.

I was guinely quite suprised they'd go to those lengths, and the macbook is full of loads of little details like that. I used to think Mac products were totally overpriced, but now I see they at least go the extra mile for it.

Yeah too bad their hardware always have terrible quality control with the melting plastics, faulty GPUs (part deux) and whatnot. You'd think with all the recent nVidia troubles they'd thoroughly test the GPUs in the new Macbooks.

fix-this!
Yeah too bad their hardware always have terrible quality control with the melting plastics, faulty GPUs (part deux) and whatnot. You'd think with all the recent nVidia troubles they'd thoroughly test the GPUs in the new Macbooks.

as ive been saying, apple products "look nice" but are overpriced for what you get.

duritz

i just bought a lenovo w500 with the following for the same price as a macbook (1300)

Intel Core 2 duo 2.53 ghz 1066 mhz 6mbL2 chache

Vista bis w/ xp cd

3 gb ram ddr2

fireGL V5700 512 mb vram ddr3

2 GB intel turbo hard drive cache

160 GB hd 7200 rpm

Dvd R/rw

The mac doesnt even come close to these specs. I was going to get one until i saw what i could get for 1300.

oh btw i got this with 15% off the sale list, which ends in just over an hour. (they have counter on website)

fix-this!
i just bought a lenovo w500 with the following for the same price as a macbook (1300)

Intel Core 2 duo 2.53 ghz 1066 mhz 6mbL2 chache

Vista bis w/ xp cd

3 gb ram ddr2

fireGL V5700 512 mb vram ddr3

2 GB intel turbo hard drive cache

160 GB hd 7200 rpm

Dvd R/rw

The mac doesnt even come close to these specs. I was going to get one until i saw what i could get for 1300.

not a bad laptop but still too much for my tastes, if i were you id install 4gb of ram and up the hdd to at least a 320. but yeah try to get a macbook with specs like that for that price, oh wait you can't !!!! :laugh:

scrtsqurrl
i just bought a lenovo w500 (..)

lenovo_w500.jpg

Vs

macbook1black20061108.jpg

How can it be compared. Lenovo = Ugly. Apple MacBook = Style.

BinaryFragger
Since they are using Intel now I assume the hardware is mostly the same as PC

No, the Intel CPUs in Apple computers are different as their off-the-shelf/Newegg equivalents.

Instead of using electricity, Apple Intel CPUs are powered by a combination of the user's smugness and hot air.

BlueFiberOptics
No, the Intel CPUs in Apple computers are different as their off-the-shelf/Newegg equivalents.

Instead of using electricity, Apple Intel CPUs are powered by a combination of the user's smugness and hot air.

You forgot the unicorns! :laugh:

MochiFX

and neil patrick harris?

Denholm

not to forget the Leprechauns! leprechaun.gif

Brad.

So basically, my interpretation of it is that if you are a stylish person and have a lot of cash ready to be spent on a good laptop then get a macbook or an imac. I'm yet to see a laptop that looks as good as a Macbook to be quite honest. I'd love one as I like good looking things, I just can't afford it, meaning I won't get one.

Apple really are targetting the stylish/rich area of potential customers with their products, it's clear to see. In the end people like that won't bat an eyelid at how much it costs or what they're getting for their money. Hell, if I had the spare cash I'd buy one (Y)

On the other hand many people don't care about how ''sexy'' their hardware is, which means that the Macs don't appeal to them. That's okay, what's not okay is how people like that start flaming the Mac hardware.

LTD
So basically, my interpretation of it is that if you are a stylish person and have a lot of cash ready to be spent on a good laptop then get a macbook or an imac. I'm yet to see a laptop that looks as good as a Macbook to be quite honest. I'd love one as I like good looking things, I just can't afford it, meaning I won't get one.

Apple really are targetting the stylish/rich area of potential customers with their products, it's clear to see. In the end people like that won't bat an eyelid at how much it costs or what they're getting for their money. Hell, if I had the spare cash I'd buy one (Y)

On the other hand many people don't care about how ''sexy'' their hardware is, which means that the Macs don't appeal to them. That's okay, what's not okay is how people like that start flaming the Mac hardware.

This whole thread has descended into a semi-flamewar that is based on generalities and vague assumptions.

I bought a Mac because I simply couldn't stand working in a Windows environment anymore. And OS X at the time seemed to be a great fit for me. It's in line with my philosophy about how computing should take place, and what it should mean to a person. It's in keeping with what I find most important in hardware and an OS. It has nothing to do with money, or even style. It's about tastes and beliefs. For me, if function isn't wrapped in effective form/design, then I won't be interested in using those functions. It's about the WHOLE package. I want a family of hardware/devices that work seamlessly together, and that require very little work on my part to maintain.

Has nothing to do with me being "stylish" or "rich." I just took longer to save up for an Apple product. If you want something and it costs more, you'll need to be a little more patient and put aside a little more money. It may not take long, or it may take quite a while. It's all relative.

Brad.
This whole thread has descended into a semi-flamewar that is based on generalities and vague assumptions.

Has nothing to do with me being "stylish" or "rich." I just took longer to save up for an Apple product. If you want something and it costs more, you'll need to be a little more patient and put aside a little more money. It may not take long, or it may take quite a while. It's all relative.

That's the other reason I missed out, however most people I know in real life with Macs are in fact rich and/or stylish. Many people will be looking to use OSX which is why they switch to using a Mac.

Keep in mind I'm on about the general public who use it for themselves, not media business such as magazine editors.

LTD
That's the other reason I missed out, however most people I know in real life with Macs are in fact rich and/or stylish. Many people will be looking to use OSX which is why they switch to using a Mac.

Keep in mind I'm on about the general public who use it for themselves, not media business such as magazine editors.

Well, it does tend to attract that particular demographic, I'll give you that.

I find that whenever I walk into my local Apple Store (it's usually pretty busy), I see a lot of women - younger professional types, and good looking, too. That's interesting.

Richard Hammond
Well, it does tend to attract that particular demographic, I'll give you that.

I find that whenever I walk into my local Apple Store (it's usually pretty busy), I see a lot of women - younger professional types, and good looking, too. That's interesting.

Not really interesting, women buy things as a fashion statement just like how they buy designer clothes, its trendy to have a Mac so like the sheep they are they go and buy a Mac because only cool people use them.