Would You Like To See Windows Se7en Have a Boot Scree  

470 members have voted

1. 1. Select Your Choice

• Yes Make it Welcoming
    • Yes, Anything But The Black Screen
    • Yes, It Would be Nice To See While I Wait For It To Load
    • No, It's Pointless As It Loads Quick
    • Who Cares

I don't think it needs anything. Why do you want an ugly pixelated and probably stretched (on widescreen displays) logo? I'm perfectly fine with the bootscreen as it is in Vista.

Agree.. I don't really care but i took my time and applied a homemade bootscreen. Takes no time.. All of you could do this if it really bothers you.

Agree.. I don't really care but i took my time and applied a homemade bootscreen. Takes no time.. All of you could do this if it really bothers you.

Wow :o ! That's like the first time you agree with me on themes etc!

It's pointless, you only see it for a few seconds (if that), I'd rather MS focus on more important things then a screen you rarely see. If you desperately need a boot screen, I'm sure companies like Stardock can offer a solution for you or make one yourself, it's not that hard :)

I too hate the black boot screens, they always look like some command line error would pop up. On the other hand I like Vista's less is more approach. They can even ditch the progress bar for something even simpler. But with a lighter background.

A boot screen that's not black. Please Microsoft!!

This is unlikely for one primary reason. On much PC hardware (especially desktops), a mode switch is required after the boot screen. And on most hardware, a mode switch results in a black screen for at least a moment. Apple avoids this problem because they control the hardware, so they can set the correct resolution right when the device starts up.

That's why black backgrounds are popular choices for boot screen backgrounds (and not just for Windows). They make it easier to mask the mode switch.

This is unlikely for one primary reason. On much PC hardware (especially desktops), a mode switch is required after the boot screen. And on most hardware, a mode switch results in a black screen for at least a moment. Apple avoids this problem because they control the hardware, so they can set the correct resolution right when the device starts up.

That's why black backgrounds are popular choices for boot screen backgrounds (and not just for Windows). They make it easier to mask the mode switch.

Hi Brandon,

I don't know if this is a silly idea, but here it goes:

I'm assuming that for most users once they set the resolution they want for their screens, they keep it that way for a long time (the only exception being, first configuring your PC).

I'm also assuming that the correct display drivers are installed and up to date.

(I don't have any data to back those assumptions up, so they might be wrong).

My sugestion is this: can't Windows tell what the installed hardware is when the device starts up, if it has been previously configured (e.g. the first time the hardware is detected) ?

This way we would only get the screen switch once (the first time windows boots up to detect the hardware).

Would this solve your problem? I would like to hear your thoughts.

Thanks and have a nice PDC!

Something that identifies the OS would be nice, but it doesn't need to be all glitzy. It does still need to be predominantly dark for the reasons that Brandon stated, and also because the boot screen displays at 60Hz (which made Windows 2000's white boot screen really painful to look at on a CRT).

And yes, people still use CRTs.

I like vista's boot skin because it is minimalistic and i use it as my xp bootskin (reshacked)

but if windowns 7 is going to load faster than xp/vista i don't see any need of a bootscreen :(

If I have see a boot screen Id rather have it be somewhat nice. Vista's was too minimalistic for my taste.

Yeah, it's really annoying to just have a scrolling bar with "Copyright, Microsoft Corporation" below it. (Y)

make it like linux... showing services going up and stuff.

Add /sos to the boot options and you get something similar. :)

Its pointless. Vista boots quick enough for me not to sit there staring at it. Also, new ways of booting Windows has really made the boot sequence even more irrelevant, Hibernation comes to mind. Most persons leave their PC's on throughout the day or night rarely even rebooting.

I also do not believe in making the boot screen flashy or 'interesting' than it already is. Its current state is for a reason. Its to meant to indicate to the user the status of the OS load process. Nobody is gonna look at hanged boot screen, the first thing you will do is a cold boot.

Also, I don't think its priority over other more important things in the OS that needs improving, like remembering Explorer views.

If you look closely, it says CONCEPT across the boot screen.

I hope this conversation is more about the story, then the attached image. Somebody is really bad at photoshop... or Paint. Look at the work around the "7"

post-42644-1224457940_thumb.jpg

Hi Brandon,

I don't know if this is a silly idea, but here it goes:

I'm assuming that for most users once they set the resolution they want for their screens, they keep it that way for a long time (the only exception being, first configuring your PC).

I'm also assuming that the correct display drivers are installed and up to date.

(I don't have any data to back those assumptions up, so they might be wrong).

My sugestion is this: can't Windows tell what the installed hardware is when the device starts up, if it has been previously configured (e.g. the first time the hardware is detected) ?

This way we would only get the screen switch once (the first time windows boots up to detect the hardware).

Would this solve your problem? I would like to hear your thoughts.

Thanks and have a nice PDC!

There is a reason why it's called a boot screen or loading screen .. it's still loading the drivers and the graphical subsystems.

Boot screens are minimalistic by nature and usually don't support higher resolutions.

Not only is it done to speed up the proces but also to debug something in case something goes wrong.

What you suggesting is a good idea but sucks in practice. It's like wanting to eat a sandwich whilst making a sandwich.

Why dont they just eliminate the boot screen?

Computers should be fast enough. People expect Windows to start when they turn on their pc - nothing else. Nobody really needs to know that Windows is loading. They already know.

People expect Windows to start when they turn on their pc

Actually that's a concept Microsoft is working on, an instant on PC, now that's a good idea.

Why dont they just eliminate the boot screen?

Computers should be fast enough. People expect Windows to start when they turn on their pc - nothing else. Nobody really needs to know that Windows is loading. They already know.

Apparently that's not the case for my 3-year-old laptop running XP.

Actually that's a concept Microsoft is working on, an instant on PC, now that's a good idea.

Not only Microsoft are doing it ;)

Splashtop already exists on many computers. It's "instant on". Look it up ;)

Let me see...

when was the last time I saw my computer boot?...ummm...ummm...ummm

I voted Who cares? My computer "sleeps" most of the time.