• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Why do people like to buy HUGE HDTVs?

DaDude    46

I hope this question doesn't anger anyone, but I was just curious: Why do people like to buy such large HDTVs (i.e. over 32"). Most people like to buy 40-50" HDTVs. I don't get it. The greatest advantage LCDs have over CRTs is that it's light. And if you get a 50" HDTV, it's now heavy. It's not light anymore. So, why would people break their backs buying a heavy 50" HDTV when they can get a nice light 20-30" one?

Jimmy0    38

So the reason you buy a TV is because its light? :huh:

Do you hold it on your lap whilst watching it or something? Usually you put the TV in one place and then leave it there for years.

SirEvan    122

um.....are you serious? I take it you've never been to the movies, where screens are like 200 ft wide?

I have a 52" LCD HDTV and it is absolutely gorgeous to watch...so immersive, If i could afford an 80" I would.

HawkMan    5,232

Becaise for 99.999999% of the tv's lifetime, I'll be watchign it, not carrying it around.

And big hi res tv image is just awesome. Seriusly have you even seen a 42 inch or bigger tv picture, or atually watched a full movie or played games on these sizes. mmmyeah.

Doli    545

Not all big HDTVs are heavy and it not like you keep moving it around.

random_n    50

The larger screen provides a more immersive, theatrical experience. Also, with the increasing amounts of text in device menus and games, they're easier to read as well.. The only time the thing gets moved is when it's installed, broken, or everything in the house gets moved along with it. So long as the floorboards support it and a couple of coordinated people can move it, weight is not an issue.

+Audioboxer    2,876

The guys got a point.

I sometimes struggle in the morning to get my 40" HDTV on the train with me.

User6060    351

we have big houses with big rooms...32" would look ridiculous on my wall especially with the 10" ceilings

Argote    73
The guys got a point.

I sometimes struggle in the morning to get my 40" HDTV on the train with me.

Sarcasm FTW

But the OP is wrong, the biggest advantage of LCD plasma is that it allows for bigger screens to be built. Also, they look really cool.

And yeah, the bigger the better

Sir Topham Hatt    272

Here in the UK though, houses are fairly a lot smaller than in the US.

This means (in some houses) you have to physically move your head to watch a certain part of the screen (anyone ever sat near the fornt in the cinema?).

However, if I had the money, I would probably wait a year, then buy a huge TV. Why wait a year? Blue Ray needs to be a bit more used and accepted rather than standard DVDs for me to warrant spending hundreds on a huge HDTV. It is the way forward though, whether you like it or not.

SuperJediMedia    47

LOL What The Hell?

Bigger is Better. my friend!

I only have a 32" because I am poor, but I LOVE HD SO Much to justify spending $25+ on the Blu-rays!

Sure, if I have MORE $$$, DEFINITELY will get me a BIGGER screen!!!

KZWings    6

My 46" LCD weighs less than my 34" (maybe 36") CRT.

Brian M.    778

Weight isn't really issue (only time the TV ever gets moved is when the Christmas tree goes up, and then, I think the glass stand it's on weighs more than the TV itself (we have a 46" Panny as our main box)).

We chose a 46" because it's just about right - it's better than a 42", yet a 50" is just a bit *too* big (and often run at a lower resolution and use cheaper panels :().

Fourjays    106
Here in the UK though, houses are fairly a lot smaller than in the US.

This means (in some houses) you have to physically move your head to watch a certain part of the screen (anyone ever sat near the fornt in the cinema?).

:yes: If you are having to move your head, it is too big. There is nothing wrong with a big screen IMO, providing it suits the room size and viewing distance. However I do get the impression some people will buy big TVs for the sake of "my pe... TV is bigger than yours".

jerzdawg    338

Besides the obvious "Bigger is Better" comment.... there is a rule of thumb with HDTVs on viewing distance to screen size... I am about 8 to 10 feet away from my tv and its 52... I still feel like I could have gotten a 60 if I could afford it

screen-size.jpg

Just curious as I remember when you first starting looking at HDTVs (sometime in July)... are you ever going to actually get one?

hyde+    7

I just got a 52" 120Hz sony set, and I think it is still too small for my room (18' wide). I am sitting 16ft away from the set, and it looks like it is 32" set at 10 ft.. Sometimes I just go sit in the middle of the room while playing games, it looks incredible.

Oh, I found a trick, just extend your arms and make a fame with your thumbs and index fingers, make a rectangular shape.

If the picture you see is smaller than your "frame" your tv is too small.

If the picture is larger than your frame, your tv is just fine, you can always go bigger...

I would have bought a 60" if I had the money....

Mathachew    149
Besides the obvious "Bigger is Better" comment.... there is a rule of thumb with HDTVs on viewing distance to screen size...

screen-size.jpg

Just curious as I remember when you first starting looking at HDTVs (sometime in July)... are you ever going to actually get one?

Bingo! Another graph to illustrate when bigger is more appropriate: http://s3.carltonbale.com/resolution_chart.html

Roger H.    776

i have a 50" Plasma and i wouldn't want it any other way. I had a 55" Sony Rear Projection CRT and that was heavy!!! But since i moved it maybe once in 2yrs i guess it doesn't matter :). The 50" Plasma that's here now weighs probably 100lbs but definitely moveable easily if i needed to.

roadgeek9    0

My father and I have a 42" HDTV in our living room - only because he got it for a good price ($799). To tell you the truth, I think that a 32" would have been fine for us.

hyde+    7

Since we got videophiles here... can anyone recommend picture calibration DVD or BD for HD?

I used one before but that was not for HD. Acoustic something..

shockz    5,939

It honestly depends on how far away you are from the TV... would you want a 32 inch TV when your sitting 10, 15 feet away??

Roger H.    776
Since we got videophiles here... can anyone recommend picture calibration DVD or BD for HD?

I used one before but that was not for HD. Acoustic something..

I dunno the "best" but i've always heard good things about AVIA. I have it but keep forgetting to use it. I manually did it (the setup) and tuned it the way i like it best.

The Laughing Man    442

I own a 37" for a monitor 46" for a Xbox, 120" projector for Movies/Games , Have a 50" plasma in a spare room I never use " a 32" in 2 bathrooms, Ya, try carrying those around sheesh.

-KJ    71

Oh, it's xraffle :p

Somehow I knew!

I don't see how weight is a concern for a TV that usually stays put in one area. Your arguement is strange.

hyde+    7
I dunno the "best" but i've always heard good things about AVIA. I have it but keep forgetting to use it. I manually did it (the setup) and tuned it the way i like it best.

Avia didn't have good reviews, neither did Video Essentials. Although they both worked great and produced very pleasing results on my old CRT set, but that was back then when we did it with DVD.

Since we now have BD and much higher res TVs, there should be a better versions of these calibration discs.