• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Why do people like to buy HUGE HDTVs?

darren89    0
Dude.. 30 years is a lot for a TV.. I haven't even been alive 30 years and I've had like 5 TVs..

that's a large amount... :blink:

MrKuro    0
And TVs, especially LCDs, are estimated to last around 20-30 years. I highly doubt I will be living in the same place in 30 years. When I move, I want to be able to move my TV easily.

haha , wow .. even though my sets will last 30yrs, doesn't mean i will keep or use them for that long (hell i can hardly go a generation without upgrading)

if the mobility of your tv is such an issue, then get something small ... but to me the mobility of the stuff in my house/garage/shop is not even a concern to me.

after reading this thread you are obviously young , possibly cheap, or just very concerned about trivial / bizarre things (like weight of the items in your home???).

Are you part Amish or something?? it seems you/your family has something against technology (first HDTV tech in general, now just larger HDTV's?)

Edited by WolfDV

sn00pie    2

30 years for LCD TV's? I thought the bulbs were only good for so many thousand hours... and after that they're pretty much toast unless you want to fork out on a new bulb?

DaDude    46
Dude.. 30 years is a lot for a TV.. I haven't even been alive 30 years and I've had like 5 TVs..

Really? I've had the same 27" Sony Trinitron for 20 years now. I heard LCDs last longer than CRTs. So, if my CRT can last longer than 20 years, then so can LCDs. If you had five TVs, I'd suggest you start buying reputable brands because good TVs rarely break down.

AimLXJ    18
Ok, enough with the flaming. I don't know what part of my question was "flamebait," but my question was answered already, so there ya go. Now, I'm praying that a mod would lock this topic. Starting this was a huge mistake. People on this site are so immature. I post on the AVS forum and I don't get nearly as much flaming responses as this site. No offense, but I think the moderators need to be more strict here. People here going overboard.

I wonder how many people have said that on Neowin already and left right away.......

Well anyway, I perfer to buy a big HDTV because

1. Playing games and watching movies on a big screen is great because you can see everything :p

2. Watch 10 channels at the sametime and beable to see every detail of it! (okay maybe not 10... but you get the idea)

APH-Alex    13
that's a large amount... :blink:

Well I don't live on my own yet, so I mean the TV's that my family has had, but still, for the amount of time I've been alive, the TVs have been upgraded probably every gen.

Brandon    297
Really? I've had the same 27" Sony Trinitron for 20 years now. I heard LCDs last longer than CRTs. So, if my CRT can last longer than 20 years, then so can LCDs. If you had five TVs, I'd suggest buying reputable brands because good TVs rarely break down.

Not true anymore.

TVs are becoming disposable. Brand names might have a slightly lower failure rate then generic brands, but theres been a lot of problems with LCD TV's from all manufacturers

DaDude    46
Are you part Amish or something?? it seems you/your family has something against technology (first HDTV tech in general, now just larger HDTV's?)

I'm not against large HDTVs. I'm just curious. That's all.

Not true anymore.

TVs are becoming disposable. Brand names might have a slightly lower failure rate then generic brands, but theres been a lot of problems with LCD TV's from all manufacturers

So you're saying LCD TVs don't last as long as CRT TVs?

Dane    176

They buy big things because they lack in that department somewhere else. LOL just kidding.

I dont know. I'd be fine with a 32 inch HDTV

MrKuro    0
Really? I've had the same 27" Sony Trinitron for 20 years now. I heard LCDs last longer than CRTs. So, if my CRT can last longer than 20 years, then so can LCDs. If you had five TVs, I'd suggest you start buying reputable brands because good TVs rarely break down.

are you for real, your actually suggecting you use a set until it dies (this isnt a toaster oven we are talking about :p )

.. its high end tech, like all my pcs, ipods, phones, amps, consoles, vehicles, etc, etc (perhaps i just have to much disposable income on hand)

but none of them I use til they die , I simple upgrade them every year or so, to keep on the cutting edge. (hell most of the time I get rid of things before the warrenty even expires)

I guess you just perfer to be on the low dull end of things (its ok, not everyone has to up-to-date)

DaDude    46
I guess you just perfer to be on the low dull end of things (its ok, not everyone has to up-to-date)

Wow, are you suggesting I ALWAYS buy the latest thing so I'm "up-to-date?" I just ask why people prefer big TVs and now people are telling me how to spend my money? Geez. Am I the only one that works full time here? Lol, because there isn't enough time in this miserable world to stay "up-to-date."

MrKuro    0
So you're saying LCD TVs don't last as long as CRT TVs?

he wasnt saying that at all;.... lcds/plasmas will last as long or longer than older crt tech.

and alot of people just UPGRADE their stuff long before the product will even break down

Wow, are you suggesting I ALWAYS buy the latest thing so I'm "up-to-date?" I just ask why people prefer big TVs and now people are telling me how to spend my money? Geez.

no just the opposite actually, I think you are probably a person that doesnt replace anything unless he absolutely needs to. (you are not like a lot of us on here... we have a tendency to update things very frequently)

Edited by WolfDV

AimLXJ    18

CRT has a life span of about 10 years or around that time, slowly CRT will start flickering and more overtime until it dies. LCD has a life span of 30 years (If you use it around 8 hours a day) and the light source will die out.

DaDude    46
no just the opposite actually, I think you are probably a person that doesnt replace anything unless he absolutely needs to. (you are not like a lot of us on here... we have a tendency to update things very frequently)

Well, not exactly. It's just that HDTV is so amazing that I plan to have it until it dies. Why would I throw away such a wonderful piece of technology (like an HDTV) before it dies? :D

Rudy    457

I've gone through a lot of tvs (way more than 5.....) and none of them were "broken". I usually end up selling my old tech

HawkMan    5,232
CRT has a life span of about 10 years or around that time, slowly CRT will start flickering and more overtime until it dies. LCD has a life span of 30 years (If you use it around 8 hours a day) and the light source will die out.

Actually it's probably lower nd has little to do with flickering, but the phosphor degrades over time. it hapens slowly so if you don't have somethign to compare it with you won't notice untill they get really old. but CRT's loose color definition, color depth and most improtantly brightness over ages, at 5 years it should be noticeable in a comparison.

Krome    204

xraffle, does it hurts your circuitry if I say I want my tv screen as big as the ones in Wheel-of-Fortune. I mean the one behind the players. I wish I can get a TV that huge.

DaDude    46

I'm going to make myself as clear as I can. I am not putting down anyone who buys large TVs. If I gave that impression, I apologize. My question is: why do people buy them? My question was NOT: why are people stupid enough to buy large TVs? I just asked why because I was curious. Like what Dane said, I would be happy with a 32". That's all. No harm intended.

APH-Alex    13
Well, not exactly. It's just that HDTV is so amazing that I plan to have it until it dies. Why would I throw away such a wonderful piece of technology (like an HDTV) before it dies? :D

Because there's better pieces of technology available? :p

deuz    2

jediangel and xraffle belong together for starting most pointless threads ever, then trying to argue something unbelievably pointless, then asking the argument to stop because rather than realising its pointless they just dont know how to argue as opposed to insult....

on topic: if you want to watch hd ideally you want a bigger tv with a further back viewing area.., and also homes these days are being built with bigger living areas and smaller outdoor areas a larger tv aestheically fits better. human nature dictates one-upmanship..lol

DELTETHISACCOUNT    0
I'm going to make myself as clear as I can. I am not putting down anyone who buys large TVs. If I gave that impression, I apologize. My question is: why do people buy them? My question was NOT: why are people stupid enough to buy large TVs? I just asked why because I was curious. Like what Dane said, I would be happy with a 32". That's all. No harm intended.

My goodness. Seriously were you hired be some kind douchebag company to post this crap? What the hell is wrong with your morals?

1.) You start off the thread asking a morally stupid question.

2.) When someone replies in a 'non-flaming' way, you try to start a flame by implying that someone said something that they didn't. "So what you're saying is..." "So you're implying that..."

3.) When someone does flame you, you try going back into your little safety zone by restating your original 'intentions' and occasionally label the person who flamed you as 'immature'.

Arguing with you is like trying to convince a stubborn child that vegetables are good for them and this entire thread is proof of that. The process keeps repeating and repeating. I can cite more sources here than I can for an English essay.

Edited by Ruiz

Jimmy0    38

A 40" LCD would probably be lighter than your old 27" Sony TV.

Why are you keeping something that is so heavy?

cork1958    1,705

Good question, sort of. Although weight has nothing to do with buying a tv, in my mind, I'm kind of interested in knowing why people buy such huge tv's to begin with?

I mean if you're a tv freak who actually watches it 8 hours a day, I could understand it, but most people just have them on for the background noise, whether they'll admit it or not. I have yet to see a huge tv that gives THAT great of a picture, IMO, to even warrant wanting one anyway. Most of the reasoning behind buying a huge tv is simply bragging rights and to say "look at me, I'm cool, I have a huge tv. I can play keep up with the Jones!"

Just my opinion though! :whistle:

Jimmy0    38
Good question, sort of. Although weight has nothing to do with buying a tv, in my mind, I'm kind of interested in knowing why people buy such huge tv's to begin with?

I mean if you're a tv freak who actually watches it 8 hours a day, I could understand it, but most people just have them on for the background noise, whether they'll admit it or not. I have yet to see a huge tv that gives THAT great of a picture, IMO, to even warrant wanting one anyway. Most of the reasoning behind buying a huge tv is simply bragging rights and to say "look at me, I'm cool, I have a huge tv. I can play keep up with the Jones!"

Just my opinion though! :whistle:

I am just curious ... but how huge is "too huge"?

I recently bought a 32" LCD TV for my bedroom (which I can lift with ease by myself, for weight reference), and now I find our family TV (a 26-28" CRT, not sure on exact size) to be a tad on the small side. But this is also to do with how far I am sitting away from either set.

+Human.Online    8,541

A 37" widescreen is roughly the same height as a 28" 4:3 so comparing sizes in that way is moot.

I have a 42" wall mounted, and find it just great for gaming and movies. Sure it is overkill for the odd tv show, but it suits it's purpose. Also it is exactly the same width as my chimney breast.