Why do people like to buy HUGE HDTVs?

I'm going to make myself as clear as I can. I am not putting down anyone who buys large TVs. If I gave that impression, I apologize. My question is: why do people buy them? My question was NOT: why are people stupid enough to buy large TVs? I just asked why because I was curious. Like what Dane said, I would be happy with a 32". That's all. No harm intended.

Why do people drive SUV when they could do the same with a Yaris? Why buy a BMW when you can drive a nice low cost Hyundai?

Why do we like to have 40+" of HDTV, it's because

- It's better.

- It's closer to what you have in a theater.

- Life like size, easier on the eyes.

- Because some movie are not exactly 16:9 and you still get some black bars at the top and bottom, reducing the size of what you're watching.

- Because playing with a big screen is even more fun (Wii, Xbox360, PS3, HTPC).

- Because some of us have the space to have them.

- Because some of us have the money to buy them.

- Because it's nice to have better technology, even if my older TV is not dead yet.

- Because we can and want to...

- Because we don't carry them around in our pockets.

- Because most of the time, they a delivered right at your door or even better, you can have them installed for you (so no problem with cracked LCD / post office crap).

- Because LCD / Plasma / Projector HDTV are light, sometime much lighter than smaller CRT.

- Because for a while, smaller LCD HDTV where NOT FullHD 1080p, only 720p. So if you wanted to have the real FullHD experience, you needed to buy a bigger HDTV (not true anymore).

Well, did I miss something? And you can't argue with ANY of these, it's all true. It all goes down to what you like AND need.

You don't like a big TV, then, don't buy one.... Stick with a 32" HDTV and be happy with it.

The weight of the TV is hardly a buying decision for most. You set it up and thats its. Unless you plan to move often, I don't understand why the OP is concerned with the weight of a TV.

Why do people drive SUV when they could do the same with a Yaris? Why buy a BMW when you can drive a nice low cost Hyundai?

I don't know. I own a Toyota Corolla and it's get from one place to another, so I'm happy with the car I have. :D

- Life like size, easier on the eyes.

I find this to be one of the top 5 myths about LCDs. I own a LCD monitor for my computer and my eyes strain just as much on them as on a CRT.

Good question, sort of. Although weight has nothing to do with buying a tv, in my mind, I'm kind of interested in knowing why people buy such huge tv's to begin with?

I mean if you're a tv freak who actually watches it 8 hours a day, I could understand it, but most people just have them on for the background noise, whether they'll admit it or not. I have yet to see a huge tv that gives THAT great of a picture, IMO, to even warrant wanting one anyway. Most of the reasoning behind buying a huge tv is simply bragging rights and to say "look at me, I'm cool, I have a huge tv. I can play keep up with the Jones!"

Just my opinion though! :whistle:

Now, you see. If I really wanted to post flamebait, I would've posted this, but I didn't. I'm not going to agree or disagree with this person because I know it would just lead to arguments.

I don't know. I own a Toyota Corolla and it's get from one place to another, so I'm happy with the car I have. :D

I find this to be one of the top 5 myths about LCDs. I own a LCD monitor for my computer and my eyes strain just as much on them as on a CRT.

Now, you see. If I really wanted to post flamebait, I would've posted this, but I didn't. I'm not going to agree or disagree with this person because I know it would just lead to arguments.

for a guy who wanted the topic closed and locked, and refused to engage in a conversation with people like us, you sure are head deep in this conversation.

You never told us, how big is your HDTV?

It's not a myth, LCD are much better than CRT on the eyes. Even the best CRT still have to refresh the screen, even if it real fast, it cause flickers. Some don't see it, some do and cause headaches.

Lets not forget, LCD don't need to be shielded for radiation....

You must have one crap LCD...

for a guy who wanted the topic closed and locked, and refused to engage in a conversation with people like us, you sure are head deep in this conversation.

You never told us, how big is your HDTV?

Well, several moderators/supervisors dropped by and they refuse to close the topic. My SDTV is 20". When I get an HDTV, I plan on getting a 32".

Well, several moderators/supervisors dropped by and they refuse to close the topic. My SDTV is 20". When I get an HDTV, I plan on getting a 32".

Just don't go too big, you want to be able to lift it.

IF you get one... you have been researching/looking since July now...

IF you get one... you have been researching/looking since July now...

I'm patiently waiting for the prices to go down. I'll probably wait until after Christmas when there is a sale or after Feb. 2009. But hey, if my SDTV happens to break, I may get one sooner. But right now, it's still kicking, so I'm in no rush. Trust me, it takes time and patience when upgrading. My parents have been looking into getting a new stove for a few years now. These things just take time.

I'm patiently waiting for the prices to go down. I'll probably wait until after Christmas when there is a sale or after Feb. 2009. But hey, if my SDTV happens to break, I may get one sooner. But right now, it's still kicking, so I'm in no rush. Trust me, it takes time and patience when upgrading. My parents have been looking into getting a new stove for a few years now. These things just take time.

A new stove?

Seriously, I don't understand how this thread isnt closed and this guy banned.

A new stove?

I'm just going to post one last time on this thread. I've had it already. The stove thing was just an example to let people know that certain things take time. I'm not going to just go out and buy something right away.

Anyways, accept it if you want, but I apologize for the trouble this thread cause. It was not my intention. I will try not to start a thread on this category. It seems to get out of hand. Again, I apologize. I'm hoping this thread will be closed sometime soon. The end...

prices are quite low now, so if you are concerned about the relatively cheap price of a decent 32'' hdtv, then you likely can't aford a quality larger hdtv anyways, hence rendering this whole thread moot.

(btw, if you ever get one I hope to hell you get a decent one, not some no name crap, otherwise your going to be right back on here complaining again)

also ... years of pondering over a new stove??? just wow

xraffle, I think because you are suggesting people to go the other way when people strive to get better things and bigger things. I think your statement kinda show that you are appalled at how people want bigger and better things that doesn't go with the crowd. I think that's what got you burned when people does not see it your way.

My parents have been looking into getting a new stove for a few years now. These things just take time.

When I got my new home, I changed my stove, fridge, washer and dryer.... all at the same time, and all during a weekend.

These things don't need to take time when you know what you want. Got slow parents?

:rolleyes:

Every thread started by xraffle here where to first, trash HDTV and now he is questioning why we would like to have big screen HDTV....

And nothing we can say satisfy him because he already have is mind set on the question.

A poor guy that finally wants a HDTV but can't put money on it...

The guys got a point.

I sometimes struggle in the morning to get my 40" HDTV on the train with me.

i know it.. i hats it when i have to take my 62 inch plasma on the city bus with me... and when i have to ride my bike with my 62 inch its dang hard

maby he doesnt understand spending 6 grand in something to sit on your arse and watch? maby he is more of an outdoors guy. or an old grandpa..

why not get a projector? it can be sadjusted for size

i know it.. i hats it when i have to take my 62 inch plasma on the city bus with me... and when i have to ride my bike with my 62 inch its dang hard

lol, almost funny, but you lost it with the fake size (unless you can show me a 62'' plasma) :p

And yeah, the bigger the better

That's what she said :p

But mostly yeah people buy bigger screens for the screen space. Again, you are not lugging it around and compare a similar size CRT which will be a lot heavier so it is still lighter than a CRT of its size.

The reason that HDTVs can get so huge is the reason why people buy them. CRTs can't go to that size. Viewing movies and shows in HD means you get more details, and lesser eye strain compared to CRT.

And yeah, the bigger the better

That's what "she" said. :laugh:

According to MSN News (can't find original article), men are mostly attracted to the color red, curvy edges (in women and cars), and larger things (cars, muscles, houses, etc.) That is just how the AVERAGE man is.