Football: Winter Transfers 2008

Here's the first rumour I came across..

Source: http://www.goal.com/en/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=956207

A move to Arsenal for Iaqunita would be a strange one, with the North London club full to the brim with striking talent such as Emmanuel Adebayor, Robin van Persie, Nicklas Bendtner, Eduardo and Carlos Vela.

However, reports suggest that Wenger is ready to make a move for the 28-year-old striker in the January transfer window.

A more likely transfer is the purchase of Roma's highly-rated defensive midfielder Daniele De Rossi. De Rossi has become a revelation under Luciano Spalletti at Roma and has cemented his place in the side as a holding midfielder.

Arsenal have been on the look out for some experience in the middle of the park, and De Rossi would fit the bill perfectly, providing some much needed energy and tackling ability to a lightweight Arsenal midfield.

On the other hand..

Wenger has not ruled out the prospect of new recruits but he cited Saturday's 2-1 victory over Manchester United as proof that he already possesses plenty of strength in depth.

"It's far from decided," replied Wenger when asked about his transfer window plans.

"We will make a check at the end of December and we will see. We have had many players out and showed we have a great squad that can win the big games."

Plz buy AW... its absolute nonsense to say we don't need experienced or better players..

:p Not exactly a transfer news.. but interesting coz I miss Mourinho in EPL

Recent reports from various sources in England and Italy are suggesting that Manchester City's cash-filled owners are preparing a mega bid to lure The Special One back to the Premier League to replace under-fire manager Mark Hughes.

Gary Neville’s days could be numbered at Manchester United. Club Captain Neville, 33, is in the final year of his contract and has not been offered a new deal.

Neville, who missed the last 16 months after damaging his ankle during a Premier League clash with Bolton Wanderers in 2007, has struggled to regain his form and has started just four of 11 league games this season.

More strikers for us????!??

Arsenal are understood to be interested in Brazilian striker Lenny and could push through a deal in the New YearArsenal are understood to be interested in Brazilian striker Lenny and could push through a deal in the New Year.

The highly-rated 20-year-old joined Palmeiras from Fluminense in January but his contract expires next month and he could leave on a free transfer.

He has made just 12 appearances for Palmeiras and has yet to score but it seems he has done enough to impress Arsene Wenger.

Reports suggest that Arsenal have already agreed a pre-contract with Lenny and faxed Palmeiras to make them aware of the situation.

Lenny is expected to be sent on loan to Arsenal's Spanish partners Salamanca for the second half of this season.

Edited by Kralik

From BBC Sport's Gossip Page:

Andrei Arshavin looks set to leave Zenit St Petersburg, with Tottenham interested in the Russian striker. (Daily Mirror)

Tottenham, West Ham and Arsenal are keen on Ghana midfielder Stephen Appiah, who is a free agent after leaving Fenerbahce. (Daily Mirror)

Derby are lining up Bolton defender Danny Shittu on a month-long loan deal. (The Sun)

Aston Villa will attempt to sign Wigan and England striker Emile Heskey in the January transfer window. (Daily Star)

Everton have agreed a ?2m deal to sign Egypt striker Emad Meteb in January. (Daily Star)

Manchester City boss Mark Hughes could sell Elano, Michael Ball, Nedum Onouha, Dietmar Hamann and Darius Vassell in a January clear-out. (The Independent)

Chelsea manager Luiz Felipe Scolari has been warned by Chelsea hierarchy that he faces a January transfer freeze because of the global credit crunch. (Various)

Arsenal are lining up Palmeiras striker Lenny, who is out of contract in January. (Daily Mirror)

Sunderland manager Roy Keane is interested in Lille centre-back Adil Rami. (Daily Star)

Hull City boss Phil Brown is attempting to sign Dutch winger Eljero Elia from FC Twente. (Daily Mirror)

Former Arsenal striker Thierry Henry could quit Barcelona to join David Beckham in the United States. (Daily Express)

Barcelona left-back Sylvinho says he will consider a January move to Celtic, who he confirmed have been in contact with with the Spanish club over a possible transfer. (The Sun)

The Scottish champions are also looking to bring in Red Bull Salzburg's Marc Janko in the transfer window in order to boost their striking options. (The Herald)

Looks like the Arshavin/Spurs fiasco is ready to start up again!

From BBC Sport's Gossip Page:

Looks like the Arshavin/Spurs fiasco is ready to start up again!

Thanks guys..

mm.. I can't see Chelsea stopping Scolari from buying..

and I can't see Arsene spending money and buying TBH.. I hope he does because we need players but he doesn't seem to think so.. De Rossi.. hell yeah!! he's a class player.. I wish we get him..

Arshavin to spurs? maybe/maybe not.. all depends on how Zenit do in UCL.. if they go through to next round.. I think he'll want to stay.. but lets wait.. Zenit may demand ?22m for him again :DD

No news on City so far? Well expect them possibly trying to lure Mourinho over but no player news.. let's see if they go after Ronaldos (Christiano and the real one:pp) and Kaka as the rumours were when last window closed.

Nah got nothing to report we can't afford a part timer let alone a full timer :p

Yeah, screw the transfers, I just want some wins in the Zola-Era! :p

Maybe even being able to hold up a lead and as a mega bonus, even a clean sheet! :laugh:

News scoop from Spanish daily "AS", REAL MADRID is considering asking ZENIT OF ST.PETERSBURG for the loan of its star forward ANDREI ARSHAVIN.

The idea is to get Arshavin on loan in the January 2009 Winter Market & have the option of buying the player at the end of the season. If the Russian fits in with Spanish Football quicky & shows his true potential, Real Madrid is willing to spend 30M? to secure the player for good.

The De Rossi rumor is absolute rubbish. He is highly touted as the one to take over as the leader of Roma after Totti retires. No way they will let him leave.

The De Rossi rumor is absolute rubbish. He is highly touted as the one to take over as the leader of Roma after Totti retires. No way they will let him leave.

I have to agree.. can't see this happening myself.. de Rossi is Rome born and raised and is playing for his childhood dream team.. no way he will leave him..

According to The Guardian, Santa Cruz is dissatisfied with his current situation at Ewood Park and wants to link up with his former manager Mark Hughes at Eastlands.

The Paraguayan hitman was heavily linked with City after Hughes defected from Blackburn during the summer, while Arsenal and Manchester United were also thought to be interested.

I can't really see Roque Santa Cruz moving to Man City. Man City have more money than Belgium, so they'll go and buy another world class player.

An update on Arshavin to Real..

MADRID: Real Madrid may sign a new striker to fill the gap left by Ruud van Nistelrooy, who is out for the season after having knee surgery, the Spanish club?s coach Bernd Schuster said on Friday.

?I am not saying it is necessary but of course with Ruud out, if there is any opportunity we will make the most of it,? he told reporters.

?Ruud?s loss will make us more attentive to the market. Someone important could come who can help us,? the German coach added.

Van Nistelrooy underwent an operation on his right knee in the United States this week and is expected to be sidelined for between six and nine months.

?It is a big blow for us. But our big problem is not so much scoring goals as avoiding conceding a lot. We all want him back but we have to move on,? said Schuster.

Spanish media have named Zenit St Petersburg star Andrei Arshavin, one of the stars of the Euro 2008 Finals, as a likely recruit and the 27-year-old has shown his interest in joining the club.

?How could I not want to go to Real Madrid, it?s a great team, one of the best,? he said in a interview published Wednesday in Spanish sports daily AS.

AS said on Tuesday that Real want to sign the Russian on a six-month loan from January. The Spanish champions would then negotiate the purchase of the striker with Zenit, based on his performance during those six months, it said.

Real would be unable to play Arshavin in the Champions League however as he has already turned out for Zenit in the competition this season. ? AFP

Adriano - Drogba swap??

Sportmediaset claims Adriano could move to West London and Sacchi has backed the deal.

"When Inter took Adriano back in 2004, we had already allowed him to move to Chelsea," Sacchi told Mediaset Premium.

"[Roman] Abramovich has always liked him and I wouldn't be surprised if Chelsea come knocking on Massimo Moratti's door soon."

Sacchi was technical director at Parma four years ago but Inter, who owned the player, stepped in to scupper the move.

Sportmediaset claim Chelsea may even consider swapping Drogba for the Brazilian hit-man.

The Ivorian has caused some controversy after his coin-throwing antics last week.

This hasn't gone down well with the Stamford Bridge hierarchy and he may be kicked out.

Mediaset have always linked Drogba with a move to Italy. In 2006 he was supposed to join Inter's bitter rivals Milan but that unsurprisingly failed to take off.

Here's a couple:por you Liverpool fans :p

With qualification for Champions League football the main objective this season, Bianconcelesti chief Claudio Lotito is ready to invest some of Lazio's transfer kitty in Liverpool's Argentinean midfielder Javier Mascherano.

The Italians are keen to add some muscle in the middle and il Corriere Dello Sport claims the Liverpool man is their main target.

What abt this one MightyJordan? You see this one happening?

Manchester City are attempting to take advantage of the continuing uncertainty at Liverpool by lining up a surprise ?17m bid for Javier Mascherano.

IMO City will go after E:DRY big player possible :D exciting times ahead.. le:p see who they can lure :p

and some more rumours..

There are so many rumours abt Arshavin and Madrid.. I think this will go through this winter..

Russian international Andrei Arshavin announced earlier this month that he could not play beyond the winter transfer window for his current side Zenit St Petersburg - and would force his way out if necessary.

Having made that statement, Arshavin's agent, Dennis Lachter, now faces the task of finding a club that is willing to meet Zenit's demands and that will suit his client's plans.

Madrid have not confirmed that they are even interested in the player, while Bayern were surprised by the forward's statement that he would jump at the chance to join them this week.

Lachter has now decided to move things along and has told reporters, according to AS, that Madrid should make a move because they would have a great chance of signig Arshavin in January.

"There are several things, but none of them are concrete, unfortunately," he explained.

"But the club that is best suited to sign Andrei at the moment is Real Madrid, although they have yet to start any serious negotiations."

Tottenham Hotspur were set to land the player in the summer, only for Zenit to keep raising their asking price, a move which also put Barcelona out of the running.

With Zenit now stating that the 27-year-old can go, interest has been growing and Arshavin could have his pick of clubs in two months' time, Lachter added.

"They continue to come in from Spain, Italy and England and all of them are leagues where he would like to play. That is nothing new to hear though," he said.

I've never seen him play or heard abt him.. any ideas how he is?

There have been constant rumours emerging this year that Inter’s Mario Balotelli is becoming increasingly displeased with his lack of first team football, meaning that he could be set for a move away from the club in the near future.

According to the latest reports, two clubs have expressed their interest in the young Italian in recent times, with them being Villarreal of Spain, and Manchester City of England.

According to Turin-based newspaper Tuttosport, director of sport Alessio Secco has been given the green light by the owners to complete a major transfer coup.

It is alleged that a handful of high-profile names are on the young executive’s shopping list, including Werder Bremen ace Diego, Germany international Lukas Podolski and Schalke 04 starlet Ivan Rakitić.

But the most pressing issue for the Corso Galileo Ferraris directors revolves around the possible heir to Czech Fury, who is expected to hang up his boots at the end of this season.

Secco was in Berlin last night for the friendly match between the Germans and England to observe Bastian Schweinsteiger and Tuttosport claims that the Old Lady are prepared to splash the cash for the 24-year-old.

Arsenal need someone like Schweinsteiger.. if we get him and Barry or Alonso.. our midfield will be all set..

The Italian (Maldini) will finally be hanging up his boots at the end of the season and reinforcements are needed at San Siro.

With the emphasis shifting to bringing in younger players, all eyes have focussed on the Santiago Bernabeu.

Il Corriere Dello Sport claims the Rossoneri are ready to make a mega-bid for the Spanish international Sergio Ramos.

Vice-president Adriano Galliani admitted that a defender is needed and he will flex his muscles to get one.

"There will certainly be some reinforcements at the back seeing that Maldini will retire. It will be hard if not impossible to replace him," said the chief.

22-year-old Ramos would be an ideal replacement. The defender is comfortable playing both on the left and right.

Skrtel arrived at Anfield in January as cover for the injured Daniel Agger, after impressing Rafael Benitez with his exploits for eventual UEFA Cup winners Zenit St Petersburg.

The Slovakian has been a huge hit, earning comparisons to Manchester United's Nemanja Vidic as an uncompromising defender who is no slouch with the ball at his feet.

The 23-year-old was well on the way to making the centre-half slot his own when he was struck down by injury in Liverpool's 3-2 win over Manchester City, and he is expected to sit out until at least Christmas.

And while he has settled well on the pitch, it would seem that Skrtel is finding it considerably more difficult to cope with everyday life on Merseyside.

Zenit goalkeeper Kamil Contofalsky, a close friend of Skrtel's, told 90 Minutes magazine: "I talk a lot to Martin on the phone and he said he would like to return to Zenit because it's very boring for him in England.

"He feels lonely there, doesn't have any friends. And also the local paparazzi follow him all the time.

"There's no such camera madness in Russia and Martin confessed to me that life in St Petersburg was better for him."

It has been rough days for Real Madrid fans across the world, and this weekend brought no consolation as Bernd Schuster's men dropped three more points against an extremely determined Valladolid outfit at the Estadio Jose Zorilla .

The Madrid hierarchy are in desperate search for a world renowed striker who can bring back the glory days to the Bernabeu after their sudden drop of form.

Barcelona-based Sport.es claim that the capital side have begun preliminary negotiations with Chelsea about the signing of Didier Drogba this winter.

In a well-publicised transfer saga throughout the summer, Barry looked certain to move to Liverpool, only for the deal to collapse as the Merseysiders failed to meet Villa’s asking price.

Since then, O’Neill’s side have continued their assault on the Premier League top-four, with the Midlanders securing an impressive 2-0 victory over Arsenal at the Emirates Stadium on Saturday, and Barry’s own form has been imperious.

However, while O’Neill is wary of the fact that the England international could buy himself out of his contract for ?2 million next summer, he insists he won’t pressure the 27-year old.

“I haven't spoken to Gareth about it, because he wanted to forget about the situation. He wanted to leave it and see,” O’Neill told the Express and Star.

"If Gareth wants to come down and discuss something with me I would certainly be open to any invitation."

'Cmon Wenger.. get us Barry!!

Sadly we don't hear anything from Arsenal sources abt transfers and we need it the most IMO..

I can see this.. team with most rumours this winter.. City.. besides Mark Hughes can be out if they lose 1-2 more games before christmas.. I can see Big Sam coming in.. to be replaced possibly by Mourinho next season.. also Mourinho to Man Utd is very much on the cards if Sir Alex finally decides to quit.

Edited by Kralik

I heard somewhere that Gallas is leaving Arsenal come January... Is this true?

I hope we get rid of that cry baby and get Martesacker or some other great defender.

Barry will be available.. we must get him.. or try atleast.. also Bastian Schweinsteiger..

Arsenal desperately needs someone to come in at DMf.

I would love for us to get Veloso but the only thing against him is he is not experienced. Same with M'Bia excellent DMf but not experienced enf..

But hey.. with everything going on the Liverpool who knows.. maybe we can get Mascherano :whistle:;) :p

Juventus goalkeeper Gianluigi Buffon has fuelled speculation that he will be leaving Serie A side Juventus in January to join Manchester City in a world transfer record ?60 million move by saying if the figures were true he would ?make the deal happen.?

Reports in this morning?s papers suggest City are lining up a deal that would see the Italian World Cup winner handed a ?240,000-a-week contract, making him easily the best paid player in the Premier League.

And the veteran goalkeeper gave City encouragement when he said that Juventus would be foolish to turn down an offer of that magnitude.

?If a club is willing to pay that much for you, it would be fair to say I will tell my agents to make the deal happen,? said Buffon.

?Juve can go and buy a team full of champions of their own."

City have conceded at least two goals in seven of their last eight matches and defensive reinforcements are a priority to Hughes.

The manager is also likely to offer Kolo Toure a route out of the Emirates Stadium with a similarly generous offer.

Brazilian striker Adriano has been a square peg in a round hole at Inter Milan for some time, and his future at the San Siro is not being measured in years. But is he the sort of player who would fit into Rafa Benitez's title-chasing Liverpool squad?

It seems unlikely; yet that is what some sections of the Italian media are speculating this morning.

The question of the looming January transfer market is exercising the media, and according to Italian radio, Liverpool are ready to enter the race for the 'Emperor' with an ?8 million bid.

Italian international Guiseppe Rossi spent two years at Old Trafford before being sold to Villarreal in the summer of 2007.

However, the 21-year-old has a buy-back clause in his contract which Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson admitted was tempting him.

?We would be interested in bringing him back,? said the United boss to the Daily Telegraph, ?When Villarreal offered the money they did, we put in a buy-back clause. You always keep your options open.?

Rossi scored an impressive 23 goals last season and has hit five goals in seven outings in the Primera Division this season - and his former boss confessed he had been reluctant to let him leave Manchester.

?It was difficult to let him go. It was based on the fact that he wanted first-team football and we couldn't guarantee it. Simple as that,? explained Sir Alex, ?He's doing very well now. He's an excellent player.?

While The Sun reports that Luiz Felipe Scolari is intent on taking Robinho from Eastlands, its Sunday sister claims that Mark Hughes has asked his bosses to launch an equally ambitious raid on Stamford Bridge.

The News of the World puts forth that the City manager has told Shiekh Mansour, who fronts the Abu Dhabi United Group (ADUG), that Terry is the best defender in the world.

Hence, as the Arab owners are determined to transform the Sky Blues into the best team on the planet, Mansour has agreed to bankroll an astonishing ?60 million bid for the England skipper.

It is understood that City will offer Terry a contract worth around ?10 million per season, which would make him the best-paid footballer in the world.

"Tevez said 'yes' to Madrid...for next season," trumpeted Spanish sports daily Marca.

According to the newspaper - known for publishing stories that advance whatever agenda Real Madrid are interested in pursuing at any given time - a deal between Los Merengues and the Argentine international has already been signed.