Football: Winter Transfers 2008

Given is good.. if only slightly than Almunia but still better..

I'm sorry, do you watch the same football as everyone else? While I concede he is starting to get older, he is really the only reason the Toon hasn't been relegated many times over. If he was only slightly better than Almunia, why is it that every transfer window teams come asking about him?

If anyone else watched the Liverpool v Newcastle game last weekend, you would have seen that the only reason Newcastle did not concede about 15 goals (and I'm not joking) is because of Shay Given.

Thoroughly disappointed that the window has been open for 24 hours and no nice, shiny new signings.

Bah.

Well here's smth for you..

Dos Santos was a summer arrival brought in by former boss Juande Ramos but it appears Redknapp doesn?t see the Mexican youngster in his future plans and is ready to sell.

A return to Mexico seems to be on the cards with Chivas having already confirmed their interest in the 19 year old, although they haven?t as yet received an answer from Spurs regarding their enquiry.

"We asked about him but we didn't receive any positive answers," said Chivas' vice-president Nestor de la Torre.

"We have asked various questions about his contractual situation, but the truth is that there has been nothing formal."

So here they are.. first of the confirmed signings for one of the big-4 club.. and its Man Utd..

After months of speculation, snags, and vultures looming ominously as competition for the duo hotted up, Manchester United have now officially confirmed that Partizan Belgrade wonderkids Zoran Tosic and Adem Ljajic have officially joined the club.

A statement on the club's official website read: "United is pleased to announce it has reached an agreement with Partizan Belgrade and the players for Zoran Tosic and Adem Ljajic to join the club.

"Tosic, 21, will sign with immediate effect and wear the no.14 shirt, while an agreement is in place for 17-year-old Ljajic to remain with Partizan for the rest of 2009.

"A press conference will be held next week," it continued, "once the necessary paperwork has been filed with the relevant football authorities."

Manchester United have not disclosed the fee, but Sky Sports believe the cost of both talents is ?16.3 million.

I know its The Sun reporting this so its probably a load of ****.. but this would be great for Arsenal if it happens.. Arteta is a very handy midfielder.. can solve many of our problems.. lets wait and see on this one..

oh and.. Happy New Year!!! y'all..

I prefer Alonso.

Can't see Everton allowing Arteta going for a song, you know how tight Arsenal are when buying players.

This also bothers me here

Edited by leesmithg

Bridge going to city. Might do them something, but for 12mill? I would have only payed half of that!

Talksport are saying Defoe has called in sick, so he doesn't have to play in the FA cup thus if he changes club he is not cup tied.

Says a lot about the player doesn't it!

Bridge going to city. Might do them something, but for 12mill? I would have only payed half of that!

Talksport are saying Defoe has called in sick, so he doesn't have to play in the FA cup thus if he changes club he is not cup tied.

Says a lot about the player doesn't it!

13.41 Tony Adams admits he is unsure over whether Jermain Defoe will ever play for Portsmouth again
Sky Sports

After confirming the capture of two exciting young talents, Alex Ferguson has confirmed that is the end of the Red Devils' transfer dealings for now... Following the capture of Partizan Belgrade midfield duo Zoran Tosic and Adem Ljajic today
I prefer Alonso.

Can't see Everton allowing Arteta going for a song, you know how tight Arsenal are when buying players.

This also bothers me here

And what exactly makes you think that it will be easier for us to get Alonso than it will be to sign Arteta.. :p

And what exactly makes you think that it will be easier for us to get Alonso than it will be to sign Arteta.. :p

Didn't say it was easy.

I would like Arsenal to sign Defoe.

Defoe is an Arsenal fan and a great striker.

Must be hard to play for S**rs when you are a Gunner.

Obviously he is a professional so that don't come into it.

Be nice to see him being the genuine 'fox-in-the-box'.

Not going to happen.

He is a red. He is even doing a Didi and developing a Scouse accent.

Seems at the moment though we are not going for Arteta or Alonso.. Wenger said in a recent interview:

"Mikel Arteta is a very good player but we have not made any enquiry about him at all," insisted Wenger.

"There is no progress [on Arshavin]. If there is any progress made you will be informed, I promise you. If we buy a player you will be informed."

and there is no mention of Alonso..

I wouldn't be surprised if Wenger buys just one player but will leave till the end of the window.

Arsenal have so many first team players out, it would benefit them by spending ?50,000,000 in the transfer market(s) due to the lost revenue

if we don't qualify for the champions league and at least get that prized 4th spot.

Hill-Wood should just put up the money.

We may be a business in some respects, however, you must invest in your business for a brighter future.

Arsenal have so many first team players out, it would benefit them by spending ?50,000,000 in the transfer market(s) due to the lost revenue

if we don't qualify for the champions league and at least get that prized 4th spot.

Hill-Wood should just put up the money.

We may be a business in some respects, however, you must invest in your business for a brighter future.

Exactly.. money makes money... thats basic business know-how.. I'm sure he'll sign 2 or more.. he is just not ready to spend a lot.. my guess is maybe ?30M for 2 players.. but that will be it and it wont be enough im afraid.. coz we need 2 central midfielders.. 1 to replace Cesc and 1 first team holding midfielder.. we need atleast 1 winger to replace injured Rosicky and Walcott plus at least 1 tall centreback..

Manchester City have completed the signing of Wayne Bridge from Chelsea for an undisclosed fee.

The England international has put pen to paper on a four-a-and-half-year deal at Eastlands and becomes manager Mark Hughes' first signing since the opening of the winter transfer window.

Hughes is eager to strengthen his squad and has the vast financial resources of the Abu Dhabi United Group at his disposal.

Bridge moved to Stamford Bridge from Southampton in July 2003 for ?7million but was unable to secure regular first-team football.

Ashley Cole's performances at left-back have kept him ahead of Bridge for both club and country and he has decided to move on to secure regular football.

Hughes told the club's official website: "Wayne's a player I know I played alongside him at Southampton and I saw him come through the ranks.

"He was an outstanding young player and he's progressed year on year in his career.

"He's a successful player. He's an England international and has just played for one of the top four sides in the country.

"He's of the right quality and he's the type of player we need to attract. We need good players that understand this league and we'll look to carry on in that way and add more if we can."

[S]

Italian giants Juventus are reported to have tabled a ?20 million offer for Jermain Defoe despite the Portsmouth striker saying he wants a return to Tottenham.

According to the Mirror the offer from the Serie A club was made over night, and has prompted Harry Redknapp to increase his original offer of ?5 million to ?16 million.

Despite the latest interest from Italy, Defoe has made no secret of the fact that he always wanted to play under Harry Redknapp, and this was the main stimulus for him signing with Portsmouth in the first place.

"If Portsmouth can agree an acceptable deal with Tottenham I would like the opportunity to talk to them," he said.

"I've enjoyed my time immensely here, but I can't deny that Harry Redknapp's departure as manager hit me hard particularly because he was the primary reason why I joined Portsmouth in the first place and said so at the time.

The 26-year-old was quick to deny that his desire to leave had anything to do with the appointment of Tony Adams, insisting that his only priority was to return to having Redknapp as his manager.

"It has absolutely nothing to do with it. I have a great deal of respect for Tony Adams and what he's trying to achieve. We have a very good working relationship.

"But I left Tottenham to join Portsmouth with the intention of working with Harry for a considerable time to come. So it was obviously a big blow when he left and particularly when he went back to my former club.

"I could have gone to other clubs when I left Tottenham but I wanted to work with Harry.

"I enjoy being around him because he brings the best out of me and that is all you can ask for from a manager."

Heard something about Pennant possibly being put forward to Spurs for a swap with Lennon.

I would love to see that happen but I think Spurs would be missing out if they did that swap!

I can't quite understand why he wants to join up with harry again. Defoe is of the age where he should be working these things out himself.

They must suck each other off or something.

Heard something about Pennant possibly being put forward to Spurs for a swap with Lennon.

I would love to see that happen but I think Spurs would be missing out if they did that swap!

I heard that rumour a few weeks ago. The same time that there was a rumour Keane would be moving back to Spurs in January for ?5 million (and they would also write off the ?10 million we currently owe them), leaving us with a ?5 million loss overall.

Its a load of bollocks though, I don't think we will sign Lennon and I will eat my invisible hat if Keane leaves in January.

I heard Real Madrid are interested in Pennant and so are Juve.. actually there was a rumour going around that Juve already put a bid in for him..

Yeah but Pennant priced himself out of the move with his wage demands.