Football: Winter Transfers 2008

It is extremely optimistic Marty :blush: reasons being.. Wenger wont sign a lot of experienced players and I made this 'wishlist' keeping in mind Alisher Usmanov might take over.. also I really dont agree to how Wenger signs players NOW.. you have to make sure that you get better and not worse when u sign new players.. and what he did caused us to have 3 trophy less seasons.. every season it seems this might be the year we win something again.. and at the end we come close but dont win anything.. its frustrating.. See my list.. experience and youth.. that's how u win trophies and make sure the overall standard is maintained.. ;)

All I see that Arsenal need is, a decent goalkeeper, Friedel class is what we need, our 1st and 2nd choice are not good enough.

We need Adams type defenders, infact the 32 years I have supported Arsenal we were called boring, boring and another one boring.

Because we were happy with 1-0 wins.

So Keown, Adams, Winterburn, Dixon and Linighan.

Thats the type of defence we need.

With a bit of luck Rafa will chain Alonso to Anfield - he has been playing out of his boots this season, as of most of the players, we could do with an extra player who can get something in the net though.

Ah well, Liverpool on top for Christmas (at least til the 26th) so I am a happy man :D

With a bit of luck Rafa will chain Alonso to Anfield - he has been playing out of his boots this season, as of most of the players, we could do with an extra player who can get something in the net though.

Ah well, Liverpool on top for Christmas (at least til the 26th) so I am a happy man :D

Reports are that Santa Cruz wants to leave Rovers.. Big Sam is trying his best to make him stay.. but if Roque decides he wants to move on.. a lot of big teams will be after him i'm sure.. Man City has already shown interest in him (and every other great player in the world :p ).. but Liverpool, Man Utd (I read of Tevez link to Real Madrid somewhere) and Arsenal can go for him too.. especially if we sell (and we should sell) Bendtner.

The Warnock link is an interesting one. He is a cracking little player...although seeing as the lad is from Ormskirk he is only semi-Scouse ;)

He would have done well for Liverpool, but he was just too injury prone at the time. He has done brilliantly at Blackburn though, his injury problems are behind him, and believe me, if he went to Spurs he would do very well. He is a passionate little player who plays football the way it should be played; hard and fair.

Zakora at pompey? I don't think pompey fans think highly of him. He's a diving.....

I'll be more interested in an out and out left and right winger.

We've got to have people their, utaka has been useless, little is only good when he is fit and you need defensive help on the right hand side. Thomas is always injuried. Traore isn't ours and neither is Behajdi.

A young defender wouldn't go a miss. Distin and Sol aren't getting younger.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11670_4676696,00.html

What they need

In goal, Arsenal have Manuel Almunia as No.1 and youngster Lukasz Fabianski as back-up. Almunia, 31, is fine. He is an alright goalkeeper. Calm (unlike Lehmann) although probably not world-class. Addressing this area, though, should be far from high on Wenger's list of priorities.

Defensively, the Gunners need much work (I write this as long ball after long ball from Liverpool finds Arsenal wanting). Wenger seems a little perplexed at his best central two when all are fit and available. Former captain William Gallas' future remains in doubt and could leave amid rumours of interest from Italy and his homeland France. Johan Djourou has partly solved the problem of aerial concern but the Swiss is still learning. They need someone rugged.

Fabregas, when he returns from injury in four month's time, needs a new Flamini. I do not mean to lambast Alexandre Song, but he is not of Cesc's level, he is not his soul mate. Flamini brought the best out of Fabregas last term and Wenger must surely be aware that the captain is their best player. To impede Cesc's quality is like peeing on your favourite trainers. Injuries have also exposed the lack of depth out wide, and an exciting wideman could be on Arsene's mind if one becomes available.

Up front, things are good. Eduardo's return is a huge boost while there is decent competition with a solid range of experience and youth. This is largely the point I am trying to make when you look all over the park at Arsenal.

What they'll get

You will have probably noticed I have not touched on speculated targets. Wenger is impossible to second guess. Who, honestly, predicted the captures of say Eduardo or Sagna? But it is these types of signings that supporters would not begrudge: largely unknowns but with undoubted class. Regarding the rumour mill, Gervinho, Bafetimbi Gomis, Felipe Melo, Parfait Mandanda and Axel Witsel, to name but a few, have been mooted as Arsneal targets.

Barcelona enforcer Yaya Toure would probably be a good start.

According to the News of the World, Arsenal are lining up January bids for Newcastle United's Shay Given, Steven Taylor and Charles N'Zogbia.

Given has been a long-time target of Arsene Wenger's, and he was heavily linked with a move to the Emirates in the summer as a direct replacement for VfB Stuttgart-bound Jens Lehmann.

The Irishman is widely regarded as one of the Premier League's very finest goalkeepers, a reputation which was only enhanced by his stunning performance against a rampant Liverpool on Sunday night.

However, the 32-year-old has rebuffed numerous offers to leave Tyneside in the past, and it is more than likely that he could see out his career with the club he joined from Blackburn Rovers in 1997.

Taylor, meanwhile, could be a more approachable target, as he has flitted in and out of the first team this season despite being the most highly rated of all Newcastle's defensive prospects.

The England Under-21 captain has won many admirers since making his senior debut for the Toon back in 2004, and it is thought that

Wenger likes the player's determined, no-nonsense attitude - something his Gunners' rearguard has lacked in recent times.

But undoubtedly the most likely to leave Tyneside in N'Zogbia, who has all but confirmed that he will not renew his contract which expires at the end of the season.

The French winger was tipped for greatness after Sir Bobby Robson gave him his big break just over four years ago, but his career has stalled somewhat under the procession of managers who have come and gone since.

First of all.. the source.. NOTW not exactly reliable.. so I'd not really trust everything they say.. now if this were true.. I'm glad abt 2/3 of these.. Given is good.. if only slightly than Almunia but still better.. and we needed a keeper.. Almunia is no where as good as to be a first keeper of a top club.. now N'Zogbia.. seeing how we have only youth.. N'Zogbia can be interesting.. he has pace and not afraid of getting some blows in.. Taylor is physical too but is he any better than the 2 we have now? Im not sure..

Nadir Belhadj Seals the Deal!

Portsmouth have signed loan star Nadir Belhadj on a permanent basis.

Belhadj has impressed at Fratton Park since his arrival on loan from Lens last summer and Portsmouth have moved quickly to sign him permanently.

The 26-year-old has signed a four-and-a-half-year deal at Pompey after they agreed a ?4.5million [?4.4million] fee with Lens for his services.

Portsmouth boss Tony Adams was delighted to secure the signing of Belhadj with a number of clubs across Europe, including Barcelona, credited with an interest in the left-back.

"I'm delighted to have secured Nadir as a permanent signing," Adams told the club's official website.

"Nadir is an excellent acquisition for the club and even Arsene Wenger commented on his ability to spring from defence to attack so quickly. He has great pace and energy and is a terrific crosser of the ball, too.

"His enthusiasm is first class and he's already a big favourite with the Fratton Park fans - they recognise he gives everything."

It's nice that we've got him. Although it does leave Herman in the lurch a bit. I wonder if Arsenal will sell us Armand?

I really like Herman, he' a solid knock chunks out of you type defender. We could have perhaps slowed the goals down by putting in defence ahead of Noe Paramont.

Glen Johnson agent is talking to the paper about the rumour that he was geting a tour around the liverpool traning ground, basicly it's not true. No one is sure about Defoe.

I'm sure a change of some of the old guard can help teams. Look at Boro' since the aussy lads have gone, things haven't been that bad for them compared to when bent nose took over.

Arsenal have loaned their highly-rated young right-back Gavin Hoyte to Watford for the remainder of the season. The 18-year-old is expected to be the first of many of the Premier League club's promising youngsters to be loaned out so they can gain valuable first-team experience.

West Bromwich Albion have agreed a deal to take the striker Jay Simpson, 20, on loan while the Dutch midfielder Nacer Barazite, 18, will remain at Derby County until the summer. Arsenal's manager, Ars?ne Wenger, hopes his players can progress by gaining senior experience away from the Emirates Stadium.

It was reported late yesterday afternoon that Juventus had joined the race to sign Miguel Veloso from Sporting Lisbon.

The player’s agent confirmed the rumours surrounding the Bianconeri’s interest in an interview with Calciomercato.it.

Despite this however, Juventus’ sporting director Alessio Secco has denied these claims by declaring that the Old Lady are certainly not interested in the versatile midfielder, and that they know nothing of this.

“Veloso does not interest us,” Secco told Stadionews.it.

“We are looking at signing some talented midfielders in the future, however Veloso is not on our agenda,” he added.

Blackburn Rovers are finally prepared to agree a fee with Manchester City with regard to the transfer of striker Roque Santa Cruz, according to the British tabloid the Daily Mail.
So far this season in Serie A, Inter coach Jose Mourinho has struggled to find adequate support up-front for star man Zlatan Ibrahimovic.

The Corriere dello Sport today claims that Owen, whose contract at St James’ Park runs out in the summer, could arrive next month in an exchange deal, with the Inter-owned David Suazo, currently on loan at Benfica, moving the other way.

This would satisfy Mourinho until the end of the season, when it is likely he will be re-united with Chelsea’s Didier Drogba in time for the start of the 2008/09 campaign.

Edited by Kralik

According to The Sun, Arsenal are hatching a plan to snare Everton midfielder Mikel Arteta during the January transfer window.

The Gunners are reportedly willing to offer ?12 million for the Spanish playmaker's services as they seek to plug the gap left by Cesc Fabregas' long-term injury.

It is believed that manager Arsene Wenger had initially hoped to sign Xabi Alonso, the Liverpool star who dealt Fabregas his knee injury, but he is not confident of prising the EURO 2008 winner away from Anfield.

Thus, the Frenchman has turned his gaze to the blue half of Merseyside, where dwells Alonso's compatriot, fellow Basque and childhood friend.

Since arriving at Goodison Park in 2005 as a holding player, Arteta has established himself as one of the most creative and versatile players in the Premier League.

I know its The Sun reporting this so its probably a load of ****.. but this would be great for Arsenal if it happens.. Arteta is a very handy midfielder.. can solve many of our problems.. lets wait and see on this one..

oh and.. Happy New Year!!! y'all..

It's open!!!

It most certainly is!! And Man City as expected haven't disappointed.. Some reports even suggest the owners have handed Hughes ?100M for winter transfers!!!

And The Independent reports him already starting to spend..

Manchester City have made a ?10 million offer for Wayne Bridge and are expected to follow up their move for the Chelsea defender by lodging a bid for Roque Santa Cruz, the Blackburn Rovers striker, before the end of the week as the Barclays Premier League?s new financial superpower waste no time flexing their muscles in the transfer market.

With West Ham United demanding in excess of ?20 million for Craig Bellamy and Scott Parker, after rejecting a ?15 million bid from City for the pair last weekend, Mark Hughes has focused his attention on the pursuit of other leading targets as the transfer window opens for business today.

Hughes has long identified Bridge as his first-choice target to fill the club?s problematic left-back position, although if he is unable to persuade the England player to leave Stamford Bridge ? or if Chelsea refuse to sell Ashley Cole?s deputy ? the City manager is likely to turn his attention to Philipp Lahm, of Bayern Munich, who has won 52 caps for Germany.

City are also eager to prise Santa Cruz from Ewood Park, with Sam Allardyce, the Blackburn manager, all but conceding defeat yesterday in his efforts to keep the Paraguay striker. A bid of about ?17 million could be lodged as early as today ? with Nedum Onuoha, the City defender, possibly a makeweight in any deal ? although Allardyce is holding out for ?20 million after accepting that Santa Cruz, whom Hughes signed from Bayern for ?3.8 million in July 2007, is eager to team up again with the former Blackburn manager.

Hughes, backed by the club?s immensely rich owners, the Abu Dhabi United Group, has a budget of up to ?60 million as he looks to recruit six new players. Hughes reiterated yesterday that City would not be held to ransom and, so far, the manager appears to have been true to his word. City were keen to sign Lassana Diarra from Portsmouth, but pulled out of the running because they were unwilling to go anywhere near the ?18 million that Real Madrid agreed to pay for the France midfield player last week.

Similarly, Hughes believes that West Ham?s combined valuation of Bellamy and Parker is unrealistic, even if the figure is, in part, a tactic from the East London club, who are hoping to buy enough time to sell off other players, such as Lu?s Boa Morte, Matthew Etherington and Calum Davenport, and avert the threat of losing their star names.

Matthew Upson, the West Ham and England defender, is also a target for City, although Hughes may turn instead to Kolo Tour?, of Arsenal, or Joleon Lescott, of Everton.

Bill Kenwright, the Everton chairman, insisted yesterday that David Moyes, the club?s manager, is under no pressure to sell and Joe Kinnear, the Newcastle United manager, has warned City against making a bid for Shay Given, his goalkeeper. ?He won?t be leaving ? he has no interest in that whatsoever,? Kinnear said.

Although Hughes?s focus will be on bolstering his squad, he also wants to offload at least half a dozen players. Tal Ben-Haim, the Israel defender signed from Chelsea for ?3 million in the summer, could return to his former club, Bolton Wanderers.