Football: Winter Transfers 2008

!!!

Lukas Podolski was one of the most talked-about players of the summer as his stunning form helped propel Die Mannschaft to the final of Euro 2008, where they were beaten by Spain.

Still, his international form didn't help the 23-year-old to make any more headway at Bayern Munich, where he remains a frustrated fringe player.

Now, perhaps irked by Bayern's loan swoop for American ace Landon Donovan, Podolski will hope to kick-start his club career elsewhere.

"I have made my mind up that I would like to leave the club in the winter," he told Bild newspaper. "I have already told the management that I want to leave this winter."

Oh man!! what I wouldn't give for him to play for Arsenal..

Real Madrid Confirm Huntelaar Arrival

Real Madrid have reached an agreement to sign striker Klaas Jan Huntelaar from Ajax.

Real made the announcement on their official website, with Huntelaar due to move to Santiago Bernabeu in January on a contract which runs until 2013.

The Holland international has been brought in as a replacement for compatriot Ruud van Nistelrooy, who has been ruled out for the rest of the season with a serious knee injury.

Huntelaar had been linked with a host of Europe's leading clubs after his goalscoring exploits in the Eredivisie, with Real winning the race for his signature.

leave javier alone, i love watching him play. He is rough but not dirty, he gets in your face but never takes a card. And when he's on top form he can control the defensive side midfield no problem.

leave javier alone, i love watching him play. He is rough but not dirty, he gets in your face but never takes a card. And when he's on top form he can control the defensive side midfield no problem.

Absolute class player.

I was just going to post this..

Looks like you beat me to it Rappy :angry: :)

What do you guys think of a player who signs for Real Madrid now?

I think Real can never be like they were.. their management is to blame for that.. they have a bench that if Arsenal gets 3/4 from we can win UCL and EPL. But those players stay there and on bench and waste themselves.

Now its Huntelaar and Arshavin.. some more talent will be wasted.

I would rather go to Westham and play every game than go to Madrid and sit on a bench every game, hoping the coach woulld ask me to go in.. ;)

Edited by Kralik

I don't know if any of these rumours will go through, i'm just compiling a list of players Arsenal have been linked with:

A? Albiol (Valencia,CB), Arshavin (Zenit St Petersburg, CAM/ST), Alonso (Liverpool, CM), Afellay (PSV, CAM/RM.LM/CM),Aquilani (Roma,CM), Adler (Bayer Leverkusen,GK)

B? Barry (Aston Villa, CM), Busquets (Barcelona,CM), Ben Arfa (Marseille,LM/CAM), Benzema (Lyon,ST)

C? Camacho (Atletico Madrid,CDM), Capel (Sevilla,RM,LM), Cana (Marseille,CDM)

D? Douglas (FC Twente,CB),Dentinho (Corinthians,ST), Steven Defour (Standard Leige,CAM), Di Maria (Benfica,LM), Delph (Leeds,CM),Diogo (Olympiakos,ST),Diego (Werder Bremen, CAM), Dabo (St Etiene, RB/LB)

E? Eljero Elia (FC Twente,ST/RM/LM)

F? Fazio (Sevilla,CB), Felipe (Fiorentina,CDM), Frings (Werder Bremen,CDM)

G? None

H? Hildebrand (Valencia,GK), Hangeland,CB), Huntelaar (Ajax, ST)

I? Inler (Udinese,CM)

J? None

K? Kranjcar (Portsmouth,CAM,LM),Kalou (Chelsea,ST)

L? Landreau (PSG,GK), Lescott (Everton,CB)

M? Matudi (St Etiene,CDM), Menez (Roma, CAM), Marchena (Valencia,CB)

N? None

O? Ozil (Werder Bremen, CAM,LM)

P? None

Q? None

R? None

S? Silva (Valencia,LM/CAM),Senna (Villareal, CDM)

T? Toure (Barcelona, CDM), Turan (Galatasaray,LM/CAM)

U? None

V? Veloso (Sporting Lisbon,CDM/CB/LB), Villa (Valencia CB), Van Buyten (Bayern Munich,CB)

W? Weidenfeller (Borussia Dortmund,GK), Witsel (Standard Leige CM/RM/LM)

X? None

Y? None

Z? Zapata (Udinese, CB)

The above is what I read with respect to Arsenal, here

I would dismiss Toure straight away as he would be here already.

I would rather go to Westham and play every game than go to Madrid and sit on a bench every game, hoping the coach woulld ask me to go in.. ;)

Like Mascherano and Tevez?

The above is what I read with respect to Arsenal, here

I would dismiss Toure straight away as he would be here already.

You may be interested to know that Ben Arfa turned down Arsenal in the summer due to his feud with Diaby.

He is also not on friendly terms with Nasri!

• 2 weeks later...

Its all abt Spurs this time...

Speculation surrounding the future of Tottenham Hotspur striker Roman Pavyluchenko continues to mount, with Real Madrid the latest club to be linked with a move for the Russian.

Pavyluchenko arrived at White Hart Lane in September for ?13.8 million, yet has enjoyed a slow start to his North London career.

According to the Telegraph, new Madrid boss Juande Ramos is interesting in bringing the striker to the Santiago Bernabeu, a club the player himself has previously admitted he would love to play for.

The paper quotes the Russian as saying previously, ?If they make an offer for me, of course I will go. They're my favourite club in all of Europe and I only follow the Spanish La Liga so I know how they have played.?

Tottenham Hotspur are reportedly hoping to sign Chelsea?s Joe Cole and are also interested in adding Michael Owen to the ranks at White Hart Lane, according to the News of the World.

Club manager Harry Redknapp is believed to be a huge admirer of Cole, having managed him previously during his time at West Ham United, and is hoping to lure him to North London.

The midfielder has reportedly had contract talks at Chelsea delayed until the end of the season, a time when he will have just a year left of his current deal.

The tabloid quotes a Tottenham ?source? as saying, ?Harry loves the way Joe plays and can?t believe Chelsea are running the risk of losing him.

?It is behind the striker where Harry sees him for Spurs ? given a licence to thrill.?

The source for ^^ this is a bit shady.. News of the World.. I dont trust anything coming from them.. so im guessing this wont happen..

Juventus director Alessio Secco is in London planning a raid for Tottenham midfielder Luca Modric and he will use the opportunity to bag Arsenal's William Gallas.

The Bianconeri transfer chief has been scouring the Premier League as he looks for a January bargain.

And, after having visited Chelsea during their Champions League clash, Secco is planning to visit Arsenal and Tottenham.

Tuttosport claims Juve are keen on Spurs dynamo Modric and a player plus cash exchange deal with Vincenzo Iaquinta seems on the cards.

The former Udinese hit-man has been on the bench for most of the season and he is getting fed up. The Old Lady will use him as bait to try and convince Tottenham boss Harry Redknapp to accept a deal.

Same here Tuttosport is not a credible source but the offer is an interesting one.

Diarra set for Real Madrid

Portsmouth have accepted a substantial bid from Spanish side Real Madrid for midfielder Lassana Diarra.

The 23-year-old France international joined Pompey from Arsenal in January this year and has now been given permission to speak to Madrid.

"We have always said that we would only allow our players to leave if we received an exceptional bid," a Pompey spokesman told the club's website.

Manchester City were also thought to be interested in signing the player.

City were understood to be prepared to offer in the region of ?20m but Diarra hinted earlier this week in Spanish newspaper Marca that he wanted to move to Real.

"When you talk about Real Madrid the other teams are no longer important, all the others take second place," said Diarra.

"It would be a dream to be able to play for such a large club."

Diarra started his career with French side Le Havre before signing for Chelsea in 2005. He moved to the Gunners on the final day of the August 2007 transfer window but left for Pompey five months later.

"We could not stand in the way of a move such as this for Lasanna," continued the Portsmouth statement.

"It shows how far the club has come under the ownership of Alexandre Gayadamak when Real Madrid come in for one of our players.

"Should the deal be completed, we have already identified possible replacements."

Diarra has not played for Pompey since 15 November but is close to a return following an ankle injury.

Real are coached by former Tottenham boss Juande Ramos and want a defensive midfielder because Mali international Mahamadou Diarra is sidelined for the season after undergoing knee surgery.

Arsene Wenger should be kicking himself. He let Diarra go on the cheap six months after signing him, and look where Diarra is now. He is exactly the type of player Arsenal need at the moment.

Arsene Wenger should be kicking himself. He let Diarra go on the cheap six months after signing him, and look where Diarra is now. He is exactly the type of player Arsenal need at the moment.

ahan.. :unsure:

Yeah can't believe he let him go, even if he wanted to go he should have kept him.

Feckkk, brilliant piece of business by Portsmouth though. 15M profit right there.

You may be interested to know that Ben Arfa turned down Arsenal in the summer due to his feud with Diaby.

He is also not on friendly terms with Nasri!

In a interview he said he had the chance to sign for Arsenal in the summmer but decided not to because he thought he wasn't mature enough. Do you have a Source? I know him and Diaby had a fight when they were little but you would think they'd be cool now?

Here's the video of it: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=xqof0zIDMWs

In a interview he said he had the chance to sign for Arsenal in the summmer but decided not to because he thought he wasn't mature enough. Do you have a Source? I know him and Diaby had a fight when they were little but you would think they'd be cool now?

Here's the video of it: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=xqof0zIDMWs

Yeah, I've seen the video of the fight before. As for the Nasri and Ben Arfa rift, I thought it was pretty much common knowledge to be honest with you and I've read it multiple times on the net, similarly he also has a rift with Benzema.

Looks like we might be getting new signings at Arsenal after all.. :)

At his pre-match press conference on Friday, the manager (Arsene Wenger) reiterated that HE has the final decision over potential reinforcements.

"They [the Board] let me do what I want to do," said Wenger. "I know how much money I can spend and I will try to do it in a wise way."

Wenger is not expecting much transfer activity in January, with the exception of the one club least affected by the economic downturn - Manchester City. However, if the Frenchman had his way the annual scramble for signings would be abolished.

"I don?t agree with the transfer window," said Wenger. "I think they should either open it for the whole year or close it for the whole year. But at the moment it is an in-between solution which is, for me, personally bad.

"I think it will be quiet [this year] because most of the clubs have no money. Except Man City.

"I think this season Manchester City will not come back to fight for it [the title] but you know my opinion about that and I think that clubs should live on their natural resources.

"I am convinced that it will happen. The next step for Uefa is to force the clubs to live within their natural resources which is the right decision. It would mean teams with the most supporters to earn the most potential. It would force the clubs to look for more fans."

Diarra was a whining lickle biartch.

He refused to play combination football and kept asking to leave as he didn't like rotation.

Arsenal will get some of the transfer fee, they are also a business.

They usually write certain things in about future transfers greater than what they sold at price.

My winter shopping wishlist for Arsenal:

Miguel Veloso (We badly miss a holding midfielder, the advantage with Veloso is that not only is he excellent as a DM but also very good at free kicks)

David Silva (We need players who can control the wings, Silva is also great from range)

Jesus Navas (Same as Silva.. very good at wings)

Lucas Podolski (We need a striker coz Bendtner is not in form and AW wont play Vela in first team)

Bastian Schweinsteiger (Will add experience to midfield)

Alex Pato (Something for the future)

Sergio Asenjo (To replace an ageing Almunia)

Oscar Ustari (Great reserves keeper)

Xabi Alonso (What can I say.. pure class! he will link up with Cesc very nicely I think) ;)

Arda Turan (JIC Navas or Silva dont sign for us.. again.. to add width)

Stephane M'bia (Just in case Veloso can't play)

Ezeqiuel Garay (Excellent upcoming defensive player)

James McCarthy (Also for the future.. he is the SFL 'Young Player of the Year')

To sell:

Nicklas Bendtner (I never liked him.. not good enf to be at Arsenal)

Tomas Rosicky (I love him but I think injuries are ruining his career.. I doubt he will be as good as before when he finally comes back.. but i'll be hoping otherwise)

Alex Song (No comments)

Abou Diaby (Same as above.. )

Manuel Almunia (Too slow and lacks vision)

Vito Mannone (If we get Ustari and Asenjo.. no place for him then)

Danielson (Not good enf.. either sell him or demote him to reserves)

Silvestre (I never liked Silvestre... in almost every game I saw him play for France or Man Utd.. he either gets a red card or gives away a penalty.. I honestly could not see what Wenger sees in him)

Emanuel Eboue (We badly need some REAL midfield players.. defenders who are promoted to midfield are not good enf to mount a serious bid for a league title.. Wenger should get Navas, Turan and David Silva and sell Eboue)

Also loan out some youngsters.. Randall, Simpson, Lansbury, Gibbs and Coquelin etc..

Edited by Kralik

My winter shopping wishlist for Arsenal:

Miguel Veloso (We badly miss a holding midfielder, the advantage with Veloso is that not only is he excellent as a DM but also very good at free kicks)

David Silva (We need players who can control the wings, Silva is also great from range)

Jesus Navas (Same as Silva.. very good at wings)

Lucas Podolski (We need a striker coz Bendtner is not in form and AW wont play Vela in first team)

Bastian Schweinsteiger (Will add experience to midfield)

Alex Pato (Something for the future)

Sergio Asenjo (To replace an ageing Almunia)

Oscar Ustari (Great reserves keeper)

Xabi Alonso (What can I say.. pure class! he will link up with Cesc very nicely I think) ;)

Arda Turan (JIC Navas or Silva dont sign for us.. again.. to add width)

Stephane M'bia (Just in case Veloso can't play)

Ezeqiuel Garay (Excellent upcoming defensive player)

James McCarthy (Also for the future.. he is the SFL 'Young Player of the Year')

To sell:

Nicklas Bendtner (I never liked him.. not good enf to be at Arsenal)

Tomas Rosicky (I love him but I think injuries are ruining his career.. I doubt he will be as good as before when he finally comes back.. but i'll be hoping otherwise)

Alex Song (No comments)

Abou Diaby (Same as above.. )

Manuel Almunia (Too slow and lacks vision)

Vito Mannone (If we get Ustari and Asenjo.. no place for him then)

Danielson (Not good enf.. either sell him or demote him to reserves)

Silvestre (I never liked Silvestre... in almost every game I saw him play for France or Man Utd.. he either gets a red card or gives away a penalty.. I honestly could not see what Wenger sees in him)

Emanuel Eboue (We badly need some REAL midfield players.. defenders who are promoted to midfield are not good enf to mount a serious bid for a league title.. Wenger should get Navas, Turan and David Silva and sell Eboue)

Also loan out some youngsters.. Randall, Simpson, Lansbury, Gibbs and Coquelin etc..

That is a rather optimistic list isn't it :p?

Miguel Veloso <-- Class player and is definitely what Arsenal need at the moment.

David Silva <-- Another class player who would do well at Arsenal, although Valencia will not be selling him anytime soon.

Jesus Navas <-- Great right winger, but will never leave Spain due to his homesickness problem.

Lukas Podolski <-- Will be leaving Bayern at the end of the season, but will most likely return to his hometown club of Koln.

Bastian Schweinsteiger <-- I don't think Bayern will sell him as he means a lot to the club.

Alexandre Pato <-- Alongside Aguero, Pato will turn into the best forward in the world within the next few years, why would AC Milan sell him?

Sergio Asenjo <-- Good shout, could see him going to Arsenal in the near future.

Oscar Ustari <-- Another good shout, but I think he would want to be number 1 if he went to you.

Xabi Alonso <-- OUR player of the season so far, he has really raised his game and I can't see us selling him to you. Ever.

Arda Turan <-- If you are going to be getting a wideman, I think the most likely candidate is Turan.

Stephane M'bia <-- An Arsenal-esque player for sure, and I could see Wenger going for him.

Ezeqiuel Garay <-- Signed for Real Madrid in the summer and was loaned back to Racing, I doubt Real will sell him as he will turn into a brilliant defender in the future.

James McCarthy (Also for the future.. he is the SFL 'Young Player of the Year') <-- Liverpool gave this lad a trial a year or so back, and I could see him going to one of the Prem's big four in the next few years.

Diarra Deal Confirmed

Real Madrid have confirmed they have completed a deal for Lassana Diarra, subject to a medical.

Portsmouth midfielder Diarra will be in the Spanish capital on Monday to undergo tests ahead of completing the move.

The French international has agreed a four-and-half-year contract at the Santiago Bernabeu and will officially join the club when the transfer window opens on 1st January.

"Real Madrid Football Club, Portsmouth FC and French midfielder Lassana Diarra have reached agreement today," said a Madrid statement released on Sunday evening.

"The deal is subject to the player passing a medical. The player will remain with Real Madrid until 30th June, 2013."

It is believed Diarra will cost Real in the region ?20million (?18.5million).

That is a rather optimistic list isn't it :p?

It is extremely optimistic Marty :blush: reasons being.. Wenger wont sign a lot (actually it would be great if he signs even 1) of experienced players from this list and I made this 'wishlist' keeping in mind Alisher Usmanov might take over.. also I really dont agree to how Wenger signs players NOW.. you have to make sure that you get better and not worse when u sign new players.. and what he did caused us to have 3 trophy less seasons.. every season it seems this might be the year we win something again.. and at the end we come close but dont win anything.. its frustrating.. See my list.. experience and youth.. that's how u win trophies and make sure the overall standard is maintained.. ;)

Edited by Kralik