Football: Winter Transfers 2008

Sky Sports News understands Scott Parker will join Manchester City within the next 48 hours.

City boss Mark Hughes is desperate to add steel to his badly underachieving side and has earmarked West Ham's Parker to do just that.

Hammers chief Gianfranco Zola is a firm admirer of a player well liked at Upton Park, but the club's precarious financial position is likely to dictate a sale.

Sky Sports has learnt that Parker has already engaged with City officials over personal terms that will substantially improve his current deal of ?70,000 per week should the move be pushed through.

City initially targeted Lassana Diarra but have now turned to Parker in light of the then Portsmouth man's decision to spurn their offer in favour of Real Madrid.

Parker's career has not perhaps taken off as he would have liked since leaving Charlton for Chelsea in 2004, with a subsequent move to Newcastle not seeing the best of him either.

At West Ham, though, he has rediscovered his best form and has forced his way back into the England reckoning under Fabio Capello.

It is such displays of late that have prompted a sizeable offer from City and it does now look as though he will become the latest big money signing to make the switch to Eastlands.

Crap:((

Crap :(

Scott Parker is a very handy player.. he is under-rated and unappreciated coz there are always stars around him.. but he plays hard and gives it his all.. I always liked him..

BBC SPORT-

Downing submits transfer request

Downing has been at Middlesbrough since his schooldays

Middlesbrough winger Stewart Downing has signalled his intent to leave the Riverside Stadium by handing in a written transfer request.

The 24-year-old, who has 21 England caps, signed a new five-year deal in February 2008 but is rumoured to have become increasingly unsettled recently.

Tottenham had a reported bid of ?6m rejected by Middlesbrough last week.

Manager Gareth Southgate has repeatedly stressed that local boy Downing would not be sold.

As a Spurs fan, that ?6m bid seems good:p:p , if rather cheeky. I could see him leaving for around the ?10m to ?15m mark, he'd be a decent signing for us too.

More Spurs related....

BBC Sport

Spurs and Pompey differ on Defoe

Defoe is believed to be a target for several Premier League clubs

Tottenham and Portsmouth are about ?1.5m apart in their valuations of Pompey striker Jermain Defoe, BBC sports editor Mihir Bose understands.

Pompey paid Spurs about ?12m for Defoe in 2007 but now want upwards of ?15m.

Any deal for Defoe, 26, would also have to take into account monies owed to Tottenham by Portsmouth in deals for Younes Kaboul and Pedro Mendes.

"If Portsmouth do not want to sell a player then we cannot force them to do so," said Spurs boss Harry Redknapp.

Defoe has also been linked with Manchester City and Aston Villa but Tottenham appears his most likely destination.

Just what we need back at the Lane, a small fast poacher to play alongside Pav or Bent. Over ?15m sounds a bit expensive however, especially if there's a chance of getting Michael Owen for less than a third of that price.

Keane won't be leaving Pool......all he needs is a few regular games to keep that confidence up.

Now with Torres back they will hopefully start playing off of each other :D

Would love to have Lennon playing for us - read that he would be going for something like ?400k at the end of the season, now that will be a bargain in the making!

Lennon for ?400k? Correct if I'm wrong, but was that not Theo Walcott, on some UEFA young player ruling? Unless Lennon has some crazy clause in his contract.

Defoe back to Spurs for 15 million quid.. tidy profit there I just hope Peter Storrie managed to get out of the sell on clause of 4m (seeing as he's going back to the originating club).

We don't need the mis-firing sulker!

Lennon for ?400k? Correct if I'm wrong, but was that not Theo Walcott, on some UEFA young player ruling? Unless Lennon has some crazy clause in his contract.

That was about Walcott and its all rubbish reported by The Sun.. Arsenal doesn't treat its players like that. Besides no RELIABLE club sources have verified this information. Its just wishful thinking and tabloid journalism. Part of this speculation is inspired by Wilshere signing on with us and becoming a pro and how much Wenger admires him. That doesn't mean Walcott will lose his place though. Wilshere is left footed and like to play on the left wing while Walcott plays on the opposite wing. Below is an example of what I just stated:

The hype at Arsenal has long been shifting away from Theo Walcott and onto fluent playmaking midfielder Jack Wilshere.[/b]>

His rise to prominence has been quick, and with good reason. He can pick a pass, he is finely balanced and, although Wigan Athletic - and other clubs included - tried to muscle him off the ball in the Carling Cup earlier in the season, Wilshere stood strong and rode the challenge.

Such is his stratospheric rise to prominence that he has been included on the bench in vital Premier League ties such as the visit of Manchester United.

Promising

His touch and technique are superb, he knows where the net is, and it has been said by Arsene Wenger that he outclasses Spaniard Cesc Fabregas when he embarks on a dribble.

He enjoyed a good run in the under-18s last campaign, a few games in the reserves, a good pre-season with the first team, and is currently reaping the rewards.

Wenger is quoted by the club's official website as saying: "Jack is a passionate and committed young player, he is not afraid of tackles and I am convinced he will have tremendous penetrative power in a few years.

"We have already seen Jack?s qualities in both his first team performances and in training on a regular basis, and we look forward to Jack being an important part of our first team for years to come."

Wilshere is only the club's fifth 16-year-old to feature in the Champions League after his substitute appearance against Dynamo Kyiv.

but that doesn't mean though that we want to get rid of Walcott now. Walcott will be a great one day and Arsenal fans and manager love him. He'll stay.

Defoe back to Spurs for 15 million quid.. tidy profit there I just hope Peter Storrie managed to get out of the sell on clause of 4m (seeing as he's going back to the originating club).

We don't need the mis-firing sulker!

Defoe scored 17 goals in 36 games for Portsmouth, comprising eight in his first seven matches and nine more this season.

"Mis-firing"??? Looks a pretty good return to me, near as dammit 0.5 goals a game.

Hah I signed Jack Wilshire in my newest FM 09 game, he's ace :D

I loaned him out for a couple of seasons in FIFA 09.. now he's back at Arsenal :p Superb 90+ overall player ;)

Anyhow.. Santa Cruz seems to be the next target for City.. him and Robinho will be a pretty lethal strike force if the deal falls through.. as a replacement Blackburn are turning to Diouf.. as well as Wigan reports Sky Sports..

Also:

The Corriere dello Sport reports this morning that Milan have completed an incredible swoop for Liverpool winger Jermaine Pennant and have reached an agreement to sign him next July when his contract with the Reds will run out and the 25-year-old will become a free-agent.

The newspaper considers the move a done deal and reveals that the Rossoneri will soon make it official.

Why did we let him go? :huh: Ah well.. we have Walcott and Wilshere now.. good luck to him wherever he goes :p

Edited by Kralik

Pennant? I don't rate him at all, OK he's a pretty quick player, but whenever I've seen him play (admittedly only on TV), he seems to ALWAYS make the wrong decision or play completely the wrong pass. I hope he proves me wrong though and makes a success at Milan, there must be some reason all these big clubs were after him after all.

16.26 Zenit St Petersburg have confirmed to Sky Sports News that talks are taking place with Arsenal regarding a deal for Andrei Arshavin.

Arsenal fans will rejoice :p

Arsenal fans will rejoice :p

We'll rejoice when he proves himself and gives us a reason to rejoice.. but first we have to sign him and everyone knows how hard that is coz Zenit might ask for an outrageous amount of money for him..

Edited by Kralik

Further on that ^

The Ballon d'Or nominee (Arshavin) revealed earlier in the week that he was eager to join the Gunners, and now he has eloborated on exactly why he hopes to leave Zenit this winter.

"I want to play at a good European club and I want to prove how good I am,"1 Arshavin said, before touching on the gulf between his current club and the continent's elite.

"I think it is a distant prospect that Zenit will ever be as big as the likes of Real Madrid or Juventus.

"It will take some time and Zenit must win many titles first. But recently the club have been progressing.

"The main thing is that the management should have willingness and players should be provided with opportunities."

Arshavin is not quite at the Emirates yet, though, as Arsenal are still trying to talk Zenit down from their €22 million asking price.2

1. IF Arshavin really means this and provided the deal falls through and he really proves himself at Emirates like he said he wants to.. that would lead to the fans rejoicing.

2. Zenit are out of their minds OR they dont want anyone to sign Arshavin coz €22M is an outrageous amount of money to ask for him.

Zenit can demand however much they want for him, he is there player and they do not need to sell (they have rich owners).

They bought Danny for ?24 million, which is more than they are asking for Arshavin.

Zenit can demand however much they want for him, he is there player and they do not need to sell (they have rich owners).

They bought Danny for ?24 million, which is more than they are asking for Arshavin.

Ofcourse they can ask whatever they want. But if I'm Arsene Wenger and someone is asking me to pay 22M for a player who is not as skilled as someone I sold for a mere 16M and he was the best striker in the world at the time (Henry). I'll have to rethink the deal.

On the subject of the Zenit star, Wenger coyly told Arsenal TV: "We don’t want to talk too much about who we want to buy but in this job no news is good news."

While Denilson has been a sound performer for Arsenal this season, he is far from the disciplined defensive midfielder that the north London club are in need of.

"Defensive midfielder is also a priority," Wenger added.

"We want to spend money. We have it available, but we do have limited resources," the Frenchman conceded.

Oh man! :happy: at last Wenger is talking some sense.. we really need a couple of midfielders.. I hope He gets a centre back as well..

Charles N'Zogbia, 22, is desperately seeking to leave Newcastle United this month, with the transfer market open for business.

He is quoted as saying in L'Equipe: "I'm at a turning point in my career right now.

"My agents are talking with Tottenham and [Aston] Villa and, from what they've told me, Arsenal could also be in the frame.

"I have a preference for the Gunners, but they are three great clubs."

"I've been here for four years," he noted, "At some point, though, you have to know how to aim higher.

"[Newcastle] know what my aims are. I want to continue to progress and, as soon as a big club knocks on the door with a good offer, I don't think they'll prevent me leaving.

"But while I'm waiting I'm continuing to train, without letting my head go down, because I am above all a professional."

N'Zogbia went on to concede that, if all else fails, he'd consider a return to France, where he started out on the books of Le Havre.

:pacifier:

Edited by Kralik

Ofcourse they can ask whatever they want. But if I'm Arsene Wenger and someone is asking me to pay 22M for a player who is not as skilled as someone I sold for a mere 16M and he was the best striker in the world at the time (Henry). I'll have to rethink the deal.

How many Thierry Henry's can you buy for ?16 million though? Arsenal set the price. Don't forget that Darren Bent cost ?16.5 million as well.

How many Thierry Henry's can you buy for ?16 million though? Arsenal set the price. Don't forget that Darren Bent cost ?16.5 million as well.

True..

Anyway.. Arsene talked abt transfer lately..

“No, nobody will go and at the moment we have not bought anybody so that's quite simple. Sorry to disappoint you,” he said at Friday’s pre-Bolton press conference.

Some newspaper reports have linked Kolo Toure with a move away from the Club. The Arsenal manager poured cold water on that particular rumour but admitted that phone calls had been taken about some of his squad.

“We’ve had enquiries,” said Wenger when asked about the Ivorian. "But not about the players you’re thinking about."

“I like personally Matthew Upson,” he said. “But there again I would not like to come out on that.

“However at the moment, we are not looking to buy on the defensive side of our game.”

"Nothing is missing [from my squad] but you always want to add some quality to what you already have. I am very happy with the quality of the players I have and I believe that at the moment we are a bit short number-wise. If we can add one or two players then we will do it but the squad I have is not lacking quality; we have enough quality.

"[Only exceptional talent will be signed] because we have a squad of quality. You want always to improve that kind of quality."

What does he mean "At the moment" we are not looking..:shifty:y: Wenger thinks we dont need any defenders.. go figure..

I think West Ham will gain profit this window already selling Matty for ?2m and probably Davenport for ?3m but then of course we have the stupid Tevez inquiry and the impending lawsuit from Fulham and more.