Football: Winter Transfers 2008

Not Just Yet!

Sky Sports News understands that Arsenal are rated at only 50-50 to land Russian star Andrei Arshavin.

The Gunners were reported to have a deal for the Zenit St Petersburg playmaker virtually sewn up.

Arsene Wenger has made landing the talented 27-year-old his priority during the January transfer window, keen to bring in creative cover for the injured Cesc Fabregas.

However, his pursuit of a man that caught the imagination of Europe's top clubs during an eye-catching showing at Euro 2008 looks in danger of collapse.

Zenit have always insisted that they would be willing to part with Arshavin should their valuation of the player be met.

The reigning Uefa Cup holders have also announced on numerous occasions in recent weeks that they expect a sale to be pushed through before the current window closes on 2nd February.

With the situation now appearing to have taken a backwards step it remains unclear as to where Arshavin's future may lie, with Arsenal facing an anxious wait before determining whether or not he will be heading to Emirates Stadium.

The Gunners could feasibly see their No.1 target snatched from under their noses by Premier League rivals Manchester City.

The Blues have seen their efforts to take Kaka to Eastlands come up short and it is thought that Mark Hughes may be about to turn his attention to Arshavin.

Kaka is a legend for saving football by turning down Man City's ridiculous bid. I think Man City should use their money more wisely buy buying a few wicked defenders and a few strikers, why waste all the money on one player? Don't get me wrong Kaka is a unique player but no one is worth 100 million.

And instead they buy Craig Bellamy for ?14m:rofl::

Portsmouth have completed the signing of Liverpool winger Jermaine Pennant on loan for the remainder of the season.

The 26-year-old former Birmingham City man had previously rejected the chance to join the South Coast outfit permanently after a fee was agreed for his services.

However, Pompey made a second approach suggesting a loan deal, which was also accepted by the Reds as Pennant is well down manager Rafa Benitez's pecking order.

Pennant, who is out of contract this summer, will now spend the rest of the season at Fratton Park in a bid to put himself in the shop window before deciding his long-term future.

Adams knows the winger well following their time together at Arsenal and the Pompey boss is looking forward to seeing Pennant providing the ammunition for former Anfield team-mate Peter Crouch.

Exciting prospect

"I've known him a long time," Adams told the club's official website. "We were together at Arsenal a long, long time ago. He was the new kid on the block and a very exciting prospect.

"He's quick and technically very gifted. He can have a go at defenders.

"I saw him play with Peter Crouch for Liverpool at Fulham last year and was constantly getting past their left-back and getting crosses in for Crouchie.

"That's a good combination that I wanted to put back together.

"He's going to put some good crosses in and hopefully weigh in with a few goals himself."

Great signing for Pompey that. Pennant is a very good player in my opinion.

Andrei Arshavin's agent has indicated that his client would be willing to buy out his contract at Zenit St Petersburg.

The Russian playmaker is growing increasingly frustrated with the ongoing saga surrounding his future.

He has made no secret of his desire to secure a move away from his homeland during the January transfer window, but has so far failed to secure such a switch.

Premier League giants Arsenal are believed to be leading the chase for his signature, but Zenit's ever-increasing demands continue to delay any potential agreement.

"Unfortunately in this matter there is no movement," Arshavin's agent Dennis Lachter told the Russia press.

"The sticking point is, of course, money and rather the totally unacceptable amount of Zenit's demands for Andrei.

"The position of the club remains unchanged and that is the reality that we have faced for a long time.

"If the situation remains unchanged we will use Article 17 of the Fifa rules and buy out the contract of Andrei at the club, which could happen as early as November this year.

"In that situation, Zenit would have to be satisfied with a much smaller amount than they are offered by representatives of Arsenal.

"If Andrei becomes a free agent, he will get many proposals, from England, Italy and Spain."

Arsenal are reported to have tabled a ?12million pound offer for Arshavin, but Zenit believe their prized asset is worth more than that in the current market.

"The situation has not changed since Friday, which means Arsenal would like to pay only ?12m, not one cent more," said Zenit's general director Maxim Mitrofanov.

"And we, at Zenit, are ready to discuss with them about maybe a better offer from our side.

b>

"We are ready to make a step forward to them, but they should do the same.

"However, I have told the people from Arsenal we are ready to discuss a lot of things to make the situation easier for them."They have a deadline, as I understand, until 26th January, because after that, they should have some time to get another player and I respect this position."b>

In case he buys out the contract he would go to the club who offer him the biggest salary I'd imagine.. possibly City?

Edited by Kralik

In case he buys out the contract he would go to the club who offer him the biggest salary I'd imagine.. possibly City?

The player should make his mind up.

10 days left.

If he wants a fortune to play for us, he has been misinformed, we pay reasonable tax free rates off shore.

I want Arsenal to quit mooching around and fill 2 defenders, 2 midfielders or 3 maybe, a winger and do not sell Nicolas Bendtner, he is mustard.

I would like Drogba also, as he needs a new club and is a great diver, we need a diver at Arsenal.

Andrei Arshavin is so desperate to move to Arsenal that he has been praying that Zenit St Petersburg will let him leave Russia and move to London. The Russia forward has been Arsenal’s No 1 target this month, but he has been left in limbo while the clubs haggle over the price. Arsenal value Arshavin at about ?12 million, while Zenit believe that he is worth closer to ?18 million. With time running out before the transfer window closes next month, Arshavin has begged Zenit to lower their asking price.

“My hopes now rest with God. Apart from him, nobody can help me,” Arshavin, 27, said. “I see Arsenal as my team of the future. Everything now depends on Zenit. If they want to sell me, they can do it very quickly.”

Arsenal are believed to have told Zenit that they will walk away unless a deal is done by Monday and the Russian club have indicated that they are willing to reach a compromise, while touting the player to Inter Milan and Manchester City through third parties.

“My intentions to leave the club have not changed since the summer,” Arshavin said. “It is obvious that in these times of crisis, no one will offer such a big amount.

“Zenit have to think realistically. I believe that Arsenal’s offer is much closer to my real value in the transfer market at the moment.”

Update:

Dennis Lachter, Arshavin's agent, is tired of the UEFA Cup holders' money-grubbing attitude, which he believes is completely unfair on his client.

He told the press last night, "The figure [Zenit] are giving is true, but it's not the whole truth. The offer also provided for extraordinary bonuses which Zenit would quite realistically get if Arshavin played a certain number of games or Arsenal won a trophy.

"But here we deal with their barbaric attitude. If you do not stay with us, you are not going to play for anyone else. Unfortunately, they are in the position to behave like this."

Zenit announced last week that they had invited the Emirates club's deal-makers to Russia to continue talks and wrap up a deal this Tuesday just passed, but Lachter insists this never occured.

"They claimed Arsenal negotiators were coming to St Petersburg but it's not true," he said. "There are no negotiations at all at the moment."

See that last line.. worries me coz not so long left in the transfer window and we need players bad.. I would Veloso and Ibrahim Afellay + Upson + N'Zogbia.. coz they will be relatively faster to sign.

Edited by Kralik

I read today on the teletext that Eduardo has come through a 90 minute reserve game with Stoke City.

He is very Keen to get back in the first team.

I hope so too, however, I hope Wenger decides that Bendtner is ready to be unloaded.

(Y) We should probably loan him out..

I hope he isn't sold.

I like him, he will be twice as good in a couple of years when he has roughed it up longer in the premiership.

Adebayor I was hoping we would have sold, as he misses a lot of easy chances.

Eduardo, Bendtner and Van Percy are the dream ticket for the next 5 years.

Well Arsenal should move on and attempt a Bid for Gareth Barry and Toure's brother.

Why would Villa sell Barry to Arsenal of all teams? :p

lol.. they are fourth.. want UCL and dont want us to take our top 4 spot back..

Yaya does not want to leave Barca according to his agent.. Ibrahim Afellay is a pretty decent player and young too.. Arsene should go for the Dutch players just like we had in the 90s.. :p Affellay, Babel, Urby Emanuelson etc..

Adebayor I was hoping we would have sold, as he misses a lot of easy chances.

I was hoping too.. but there must be something special about him that Milan/Barca etc want him? Every season I wish we would sell him but then he is not sold and I don't mind giving him another chance hoping he might finally get his act together..

Edited by Kralik

Why would Villa sell Barry to Arsenal of all teams? :p

lol.. they are fourth.. want UCL and dont want us to take our top 4 spot back..

Yaya does not want to leave Barca according to his agent.. Ibrahim Afellay is a pretty decent player and young too.. Arsene should go for the Dutch players just like we had in the 90s.. :p Affellay, Babel, Urby Emanuelson etc..

I was hoping too.. but there must be something special about him that Milan/Barca etc want him? Every season I wish we would sell him but then he is not sold and I don't mind giving him another chance hoping he might finally get his act together..

Babel is a little git, to put it the fine way.

Arsenal were going to sign him from Ajax.

Babel said he wanted to stay at Ajax; He also said he wanted more experience.

Then what do you know he signs for Liverpool.

Babel is apparently Van Percy's room mate, so maybe Liverpool might release him.

We need an Ian Wright-Wright-Wright kind of front man.

I am a few year younger than Ian, however we grew up in the same area, I watched him at Dulwich Hamlet, Crystal Palace and then Arsenal.

Shame we could not have signed Richards and Wright-Phillips from Man City.

I get the feeling Richards will be shown the door soon, when some flash Brazilian takes his place and Wright-Phillips might want

to emulate his dad at Arsenal. <---Hopefully, ha ha.

BREAKING NEWS:

Zenit St Petersburg have rejected Arsenal's latest offer - said to be the club's final offer - but reports from Russia indicate that negotiations are still ongoing... More details to follow...

BREAKING NEWS:

Zenit St Petersburg have rejected Arsenal's latest offer - said to be the club's final offer - but reports from Russia indicate that negotiations are still ongoing... More details to follow...

Update:

According to Zenit Radio though this latest offer has also been rebuffed, yet Russian media outlet Interfax are stating that negotiations are still ongoing.

The north London club are reportedly leading the chase for the player's signature, as director Ken Fryer has remained in St Petersburg to discuss terms with Zenit general manager Maxim Mitrofanov.

Arsenal's valuation still falls some way short of the ?20 million that Zenit are holding out for.