Windows 7 Build 6936 Screenshots IS HERE !

the new taskbar seems like it will limit the screen viewing size....

That's because Microsoft are pushing for multi-touch. Easier to push a bigger button than a smaller one.

Microsoft are doing their best to make the classic theme look even uglier than under Vista:

post-1302-1226769504_thumb.png

IMNSHO this is hideous.

I'm curious (really, no sarcasm), but what's ugly about it? I keep hearing a lot of people say that Classic is ugly on Vista, and by looking at that screenshot, I assumed it was now better on 7.. but alas, it seems that I'm wrong.

To me, it just looks like Classic. Yes, it's ugly, but in my opinion, Classic has always been ugly (OT: I actually used to skin Windows 98 with Windowblinds quite a while before XP came out). I'm genuinely curious, what is so ugly about Classic in Vista and 7 that differs from Classic in 2000 and XP? Thanks.

I still use Classic. Why? When using Windows in a Virtual Machine on OS X it's nice to have a really dull UI, otherwise it's a bit too confusing on the eyes to have shiny awesomeness on top of shiny awesomeness, even worse when the designs aren't the same.

So you just don't want your Apple OS to feel inferior ? :p

I'm curious (really, no sarcasm), but what's ugly about it? I keep hearing a lot of people say that Classic is ugly on Vista, and by looking at that screenshot, I assumed it was now better on 7.. but alas, it seems that I'm wrong.

To me, it just looks like Classic. Yes, it's ugly, but in my opinion, Classic has always been ugly (OT: I actually used to skin Windows 98 with Windowblinds quite a while before XP came out). I'm genuinely curious, what is so ugly about Classic in Vista and 7 that differs from Classic in 2000 and XP? Thanks.

I agree, Classic is, was and allways will be ugly, there'sno but about it.

the only reason it's uglier now is beause both windows and other OS' now ship with proffesionally designed "pretty" themes.

The taskbar and icons look bulky and oversized, and the transparency in the second shot is just plain weird. Maybe it works better than it looks in still shots, but I'm not that impressed by it.

When you see it on a higher res shot, the difference is pretty minor imo. If like another poster said the difference is 10pixels, (30pixels for the older one and 40 for the newer one) then it really is. Only when you get down to lower res does it make a bigger difference I'd say.

Looks great in the screenshots imo.

the new taskbar seems like it will limit the screen viewing size....

do you even bother to read any previous posts? its adding 10 pixels of height to the taskbar. if you dont like it you can set it to the size of the old taskbar.

also, the taskbar was first introduced when, like 14 years ago? when most people were probably working on 800x600 or 1024x768? i'm using it on a laptop with a 1280x800 res actually and its not an issue at all

I feel the same way; Classic has always looked plain and ugly, and since we weren't stuck with it since 8 years ago when XP came out, I think everyone just forgot how ugly Classic is, especially if you keep that same grey color for the window elements and taskbar. Just in comparison with the Aero theme, Classic really looks clunky and uninspiring.

I feel the same way; Classic has always looked plain and ugly, and since we weren't stuck with it since 8 years ago when XP came out, I think everyone just forgot how ugly Classic is, especially if you keep that same grey color for the window elements and taskbar. Just in comparison with the Aero theme, Classic really looks clunky and uninspiring.

i agree. one thing that i think changed in vista/svr2008 is that classic seems to have big/awkward window borders compared to 2000/xp classic which i think is what turns people off mostly. and the newer start menus just dont look good in classic either