Slumdog Millionaire (2008)

Saw the movie a couple days ago. One of the best movies I have ever seen well, in a very long time. Forrest Gump/Shawshank? I'll put it in my top 3-5 for sure.

I agree

woah , i never ever expected or dreamt or even think about this happening in my lifetime , regarding a movie about my City getting this kind of reviews all around.

This movie placed in city i live in , places shot where i constantly roam around (like V.T Station) and the Movie gets recognized internationally and all you guys here actually liking it . I really feel good about bombay more than ever now.

I have to tell you from my point of view what i felt on hearing first time about SlumDog Millionaire .

In India there is bollywood industry, a sorry excuse for hollywood (couldnt they name it different, why even rob title of Hollywood when you are constantly copying plots from it ) the movies here get old after some years, you just get bored to hell seeing all dancing and singing constantly, and when you start seeing this are just remakes of hollywood movie (the plots atleast) and a really ****ty version at that your head starts exploding if you see them, Ofcourse there are some rare gems, and some movies which dont even have music in it and just story and good one and which holds water ( like Wednesday ) but all the 1000s of others are crap .

And Then , We have a joke here, that European , US tourist come here and instead of talking and shooting the economic-financial, progress that has happened in Bombay (or India), they will try their best to shoot a pic of cows on road and hungry kids and dirty ppl running around, its like they constantly try to ignore the progress in city and want the real "dirt" ( no pun was intended ) about India so_to_speak.

Now with this in my mind, I suddenly come across a movie made by director in UK about bombay and the title is "Slumdog Millionaire" ,nails it isnt it, I was like, great , fantastic, make a movie of slums here, make that part of bombay famous ( its kind of like what if ppl keep talking and making movies of all places in toronto , ontario winnipeg where you can easily find weed and how kids , ppl keep making meths in home labs and all that kind of ****, even you will start getting disgusted if thats what is being represented in movies about the city, i am talking on that line) .

But now after holding this apprehension i am downloading this movie and seeing your reviews here, i think its not what i imagined and its in different class of its own, its good to read how this movie is getting good reviews and kinda Indy-Film like buzz for oscars etc.

That's it, hope i didn't bored you guys by writing this lill brief buzzing in my head.

• 2 weeks later...

Went to see it when it came out. Very good and it hits home for me bc im indian. for mature audiences only, was stuck with teenagers and they laughed everytime the guy said millonaire. I admit i was funny but not every time.

Probably going to have to wait for this to go to DVD =[

Or just catch the first show of the day..if it's before noon (go on Saturday, Sunday or your day off) it's 4 dollars.

Movie is dope..not really sure how it relates if you are not Indian..hmm. It is the truth though.

The story could easily be set anywhere. They are known issues that anyone can relate to.

Watched this last night, and I particularly enjoyed it.

The fiancee didn't though. She's not good with anything a little different though :( Sister Act is her favourite film - nuff said!

I hate people that enjoy watching bad films. No offense to the misses.

Trust me, we read from the same hymnsheet pal. It frustrates me greatly that she watches this trashm, and when presented with something a little more in-depth or meaningful, she cannot see beyond the surface.

It's doubly frustrating because she is an intensely intelligent person - just loves trash moves.

Oh, well in that case it's okay. I know a lot of kind of dumb people that don't like a movie unless it's a comedy or a slaughter film. Some people can't appreciate a good script or monolgue by an actor.

To test if you're one of these people watch "Glengarry Glen Ross".

I'm actually a bit underwhelmed by this. I didnt expect it to bear that much similarities with the superior City of God. The plotting, the setting, the characters, the camerawork, the pacing (though CoG has more energy and momentum), the atmosphere... that's a hell lot to share in common. But I enjoyed it it still feels greatly satisfying in the end. I unreservedly recommend this.

4/5

Going to watch this weekend. A. R. Rahman is a genius and I am looking forward to listening to his music again. The weird thing about his music is that even if you don't like his compositions in the beginning, by the time you finish listening the second time, you will fall in love with it.

He lives less than a mile from where I live!

totally, he's a genius. although SM is probably is lesser works. i just wonder at those who like the SM if they look at some of earlier work.. starting from Roja

Seriously, Boyle has got to teach the sh*tty Indian film industry to make movies which have more depth like that in Slumdog Millionaire. I am tired as hell watching the same movies with cheesy plots, acting and direction comparable to that of one done by a Chimpanzee.

I'll assume you didn't watch Tare Zameen Par, Lagaan, Gajini, Fashion, Jonny Gaddar, DevD Oye Lucky....

I guess you get only SRK movies there