Neowin HP Magic Giveaway winners

QFT. This has to be the silliest argument ever.

not true, i once had an arguement with my ex because she asked what i wanted for dinner and i said "i didnt mind"

lasted days that row did lol

not true, i once had an arguement with my ex because she asked what i wanted for dinner and i said "i didnt mind"

lasted days that row did lol

Dude, you've got the hedgehog. That's like the a top trump card for all arguments.

Dude, you've got the hedgehog. That's like the a top trump card for all arguments.

i'd rather have a new computer (its not too late to change your votes everyone!!!) lol

Gotta say, I did like the mat. There must be some rules and regulations out there about putting your dirty shoes on our corporate logo though, gotta get our lawyers on that one... ;)

lol

FYI, it did take a lot of effort to cut out a template and carefully as one can, apply the paint to the mat. The paint leaked through to the floor. So there was a bit of clean up.

I think mine looks better than the snow on the ground.

Of course you're going to think your own entry looks better :rolleyes:

Tell me how that first image is not TOUCHED up without software... Oh very nice image I must say, just really what camera take a circle picture with black all around it? If it's one of those special glass balls, Ok where is the camera at? Seems like that broke 1 rule about dont use software to manipulate the image!

He used a fisheye lens. Next time, do a little research before making that kind of claim. :)

The guy with the picture in the parking lot just happen to be able to use a camera and light source and he was that good to be able to magically get a Neowin logo to stroll around.. Right... uh huh ...

It's not hard. I've done it before. You just need a long shutter speed and a light source. Here's one I did a couple weeks ago using a 10 second exposure.

Smile.JPG

lol

FYI, it did take a lot of effort to cut out a template and carefully as one can, apply the paint to the mat. The paint leaked through to the floor. So there was a bit of clean up.

I spent a lot of time and some money on my entry as well. I had to buy gold spray paint,glue,ribbon,gold glitter,hot glue gun, glue sticks and sand paper! lol I bought all that and spent hours working and still got beat by a guy with a snow shovel! haha :woot:

trust me when I say you aren't the only one feeling a bit frustrated.. but there's nothing you can say or do that will change the outcome man.

I spent a lot of time and some money on my entry as well. I had to buy gold spray paint,glue,ribbon,gold glitter,hot glue gun, glue sticks and sand paper! lol I bought all that and spent hours working and still got beat by a guy with a snow shovel! haha :woot:

trust me when I say you aren't the only one feeling a bit frustrated.. but there's nothing you can say or do that will change the outcome man.

Honestly, I don't expect that it will. ;) Just wanted to get out my thoughts.

FYI, I think the majority of the entries were commendable. I want it to be clear that I believe most of the top ten deserve the honor. Just two IMO do not. Although I can appreciate the efforts. :)

I would like to know how my entry ranked at the very least. I did put a bit of thought and effort into mine more so than a Kiwi fruit cut out. The only thing I see that the horse field had over my entry was the sheer size of it. I believe I put more creativity into my entry than the vast majority. So at lest tell me how I ranked.

And I rather upset that someone could merely make a design from snow on the ground and be second place. like a number entries I put money and effort into my design. pfft.

I agree with the snow thing, you should have read my email to HP about this contest.. lol

I just want to say that everyone should respect the outcome of the competition. I personally think that if the moderators collectively rate your entry to be where it is then it probably deserves it. Hell I wanted the mini 1000 pretty bad, but that's the way it is. If you've been in competitions then you would know that it's not the effort that counts, it's how judges rate your entry, and if effort and quality is there, it shows.

It's not that we thought ours were the best. But I put a hella lot more time into mine than going in my backyard and playing with my snow.. I do have snow in my backyard so it would have been very easy to do exactly the same thing. Instead I put a decent amount of money along with creativity to do something unique. Anyone could go in their backyard and play with snow...

Ok, I come here tonite to see if I won the contest, What to my surprise I freaking lost because I followed the Rules! (well I have to say it was nice to at least have a 1 in 128 shot) way better odds than other sites.

Good Job Folks!

However.

I do want to put my 2 cents worth in, I think the guys judging didnt follow their own rules, that was my first impression as soon as I saw some of the winners. I think they were blown away by the things folks came up with. They lost site of the their own rule!

Still not really complaining, I like what some of those winners did.

Tell me how that first image is not TOUCHED up without software... Oh very nice image I must say, just really what camera take a circle picture with black all around it? If it's one of those special glass balls, Ok where is the camera at? Seems like that broke 1 rule about dont use software to manipulate the image!...grrr... Man that's a lot of saw dust.

The guy with the picture in the parking lot just happen to be able to use a camera and light source and he was that good to be able to magically get a Neowin logo to stroll around.. Right... uh huh ...

The other guy with the light source, He could wave his light to just the right Letter and fill out... I have to see that done in person.. Still like it tho...

My main complaint is I thought the rules said no Software Photography tricks.. It doesnt look that way to me.

Last buy not least...

Thanks for having the competition. I enjoyed entering it even tho I didnt win.

Now i have to visit the Neowin board more often!

Another post I agree with...

It's not that we thought ours were the best. But I put a hella lot more time into mine than going in my backyard and playing with my snow.. I do have snow in my backyard so it would have been very easy to do exactly the same thing. Instead I put a decent amount of money along with creativity to do something unique. Anyone could go in their backyard and play with snow...

Haha wow.

u-mad1.jpg

Another post I agree with...

Funny, because MasterC just single-handedly proved him wrong.

lol i didn't evne enter this contest because there was gonna be this whole unfairness involved.

basically, different things appeal to different people

the title of the competition should have been "How hard can you work to create a neowin logo"

Let me break it down for you, creativity does count but only to a degree. The more _labour work you put into your entry the higher chances of you getting the win.

All these judges do is put theselves in your position and see what took the most EFFORT to do. This is all psych and philo!

Seriously, no one cares.......

Maybe next time there is a competition, there should be a rule that anyone moaning about the winners shall be insta-banned! Life goes on. You didn't win. Better luck next time.

Also, well done to all the winners. Some really good entries there!

lol i didn't evne enter this contest because there was gonna be this whole unfairness involved.

basically, different things appeal to different people

the title of the competition should have been "How hard can you work to create a neowin logo"

Let me break it down for you, creativity does count but only to a degree. The more _labour work you put into your entry the higher chances of you getting the win.

All these judges do is put theselves in your position and see what took the most EFFORT to do. This is all psych and philo!

Exactly.. how hard can you work to create a neowin logo.. i didnt go out in my damn yard for 2 minutes and shovel

Congratulations to those that won. It was the same as I laid out my top ten :yes:

To those complaining: You must not understand the idea of a competition. You all volunteered to put time into entering this contest; nobody guaranteed you anything but a chance of winning something doing so. Each and every staff member that voted did so with his/her own opinion on what best showed creativity and effort. This was a collective vote, not the opinion of one or a few, but of 50 different people. There was no bias, no agenda... We voted for what we individually liked most. Just because it doesn't agree with your opinion about what the best ones were does not make it unfair in the slightest. By participating with your own time and effort, you are automatically predisposed to believe yours is the best... It's human nature. All that we ask is that you put those feelings aside and congratulate those that did win, as that is the honorable thing to do.

I thank all those that participated, and once again congratulate those that won. I for one am proud of the members here and all the different entries that we had. If there were a way to have more winners, I'm sure we would have done so. Heck, we split the prize into 8 when it was meant for only 1 person, which is much more than I can say for the other sites that participated. So be thankful you had at least that much more of a chance to win than anywhere else.

Congratulations to those that won. It was the same as I laid out my top ten :yes:

To those complaining: You must not understand the idea of a competition. You all volunteered to put time into entering this contest; nobody guaranteed you anything but a chance of winning something doing so. Each and every staff member that voted did so with his/her own opinion on what best showed creativity and effort. This was a collective vote, not the opinion of one or a few, but of 50 different people. There was no bias, no agenda... We voted for what we individually liked most. Just because it doesn't agree with your opinion about what the best ones were does not make it unfair in the slightest. By participating with your own time and effort, you are automatically predisposed to believe yours is the best... It's human nature. All that we ask is that you put those feelings aside and congratulate those that did win, as that is the honorable thing to do.

I thank all those that participated, and once again congratulate those that won. I for one am proud of the members here and all the different entries that we had. If there were a way to have more winners, I'm sure we would have done so. Heck, we split the prize into 8 when it was meant for only 1 person, which is much more than I can say for the other sites that participated. So be thankful you had at least that much more of a chance to win than anywhere else.

I understand that, but i would like to know if mine was even in the top 25 and was eligible to win. And if not, why....? How the hell does a UV reactive neowin logo get beat by snow or a fancy camera. The saw dust one i'll give some credit to, along with the tiny one made with metal and had a cool blue background (in which i thought mine was much cleaner and better presented, but hey, i give the guy credit)that I think only ended up winning.. 6th, and the apple was also a good idea. I'm just saying, i don't think a little design made with snow deserves a $700 computer.

but i would like to know if mine was even in the top 25 and was eligible to win.
As stated, we are not releasing any other statistics other than the top 10 presented in the initial post.

The winners were picked by staff, and ordered by favourite entries. I was just by what the staff liked leesmithg

If I was a mod i'd be going through this thread hitting the ****ing ban button so fast peoples heads would spin. Seriously. What a bunch of whinny little bitches.