The Official Neowin NHL Playoff Thread

I am extremly dissapointed as a hardcore Ducks fan, they seemed to let the ora of NJ get in there heads, they played horribly. No discredit to the Devils, they played an amazing series, so congrats to them. I now have to wait until next season, Anaheim will be a lock for the confrence finals, probably against Detroit. If you don't believe that, you are blind. The same core for Anaheim comes back, but on July 1st they will sign Teemu Selanne, the ONE thing they were missing this playoffs. Detroit will arm themselves for one more run for Steve Yzerman, then he will retire and hockeytown will crumble, you can not replace the real face of Detroit hockey.

Jeff Friesen should have gotten the Conn Smythe too, he was there when it counted for NJ. I just can't see it going to the loosing teams player. Hopefully the Ducks trade Petr Sykora too, that guy is worthless. He only scores meaningless goals when they are already up by 3 and NEVER comes through when it counts. So congrats to the Devils...

:bounce: :devil: Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee Haaaaaa .

Way to go New Jersey !

:devil:

Can the Canucks win it next year ? :rofl: :s :/

I am extremly dissapointed as a hardcore Ducks fan, they seemed to let the ora of NJ get in there heads, they played horribly. No discredit to the Devils, they played an amazing series, so congrats to them. I now have to wait until next season, Anaheim will be a lock for the confrence finals, probably against Detroit. If you don't believe that, you are blind. The same core for Anaheim comes back, but on July 1st they will sign Teemu Selanne, the ONE thing they were missing this playoffs. Detroit will arm themselves for one more run for Steve Yzerman, then he will retire and hockeytown will crumble, you can not replace the real face of Detroit hockey.

Jeff Friesen should have gotten the Conn Smythe too, he was there when it counted for NJ. I just can't see it going to the loosing teams player. Hopefully the Ducks trade Petr Sykora too, that guy is worthless. He only scores meaningless goals when they are already up by 3 and NEVER comes through when it counts. So congrats to the Devils...

Whatever drug you are doing, please pass it around! ;)

I mean, get real. Steven Yzerman is one guy, and when he retires you can bet he'll go into the front office for the Wings. While he may not be on the ice, he'll remain part of the team.

Also, look at Detroit this year, we played the majority of the year without Stevie Y, so you can't say that will cause Detroit to crumble.

I also feel firmly that the ducks will meet up with Dallas or Colorado next year since I forsee Detroit going President's Cup next year once we can get Fisher back into the lineup.

Oh well, we'll see!

LETS GO RED WINGS!

i dunno much about colorado with Abischer in net (however u spell his name)... If theyre gonna have 2nd or 3rd rate goaltending, Forsberg and Sakic need to come out and play

Wow, this thread is quiet...must be all the duck fans out getting drunk.

Actually doing calculus and linear algebra hw. Getting drunk would be a lot more fun. I kinda expected one of the goalies to get a shutout.

The canucks vs detroit for conference next year. Ducks will make to 2nd round.

Congrats to the Ducks, but man am I ****ed.

Had a hockey game tonight so I decided to tape the game and watch it after my game. Yeah some jackass let everyone else know who won when it was over during the game. Needless to say there were about 4 other people that were just as ****ed as I was.

But again congrats to the Devils.

See you next season

well everyone, this thread has been a lot of fun. 95 pages worth. not many people like hockey here in alabama so it was nice to have somewhere to go to talk hockey. I look forward to this thread again next year. Hopefully the Thrashers will be next year's cinderella story.

Congratulations to the New Jersey Devils : 2002-2003 Stanley Cup Champions

devils_team_cup_gallery.jpg

Edited by CatnipOligarthy

damn damn damn, the ducks just got shut down. i was a little upset by the nj fans, giguere got a standing ovation by me. congrats to everyone on a well played (pretty well reffed i might add too, see how noone notices the refs when they are doing well ;)) series. congrats to the ducks on an amazing run, i'm not even a ducks fan, but they had me rooting for them like crazy.

also, thanks to everyone who posted in this thread, you guys all rock, you guys all know hockey is the only true sport (we don't need halftime shows FOR EVERY GAME like the nba finals to draw a crowd). this thread was a blast, and i think everyone behaved themselves pretty well, for as heated as the stanley cup playoffs can get. can't wait to see you guys back here next year! flyers in 2004!!!

i dunno, they were probably in no mood to cheer when they saw Bettman walk on to the ice

They weren't cheering before that, and that was about 15 minutes.

axis -- You're a moron, Hockeytown will not crumble without Steve Yzerman. Fans may love him, but once he retires it's not the end of the world. He hasn't been playing up to par for the last 3 years, so you mind telling me how Detroit would still be playing amazing with him? Your entire post was pretty asinine.

bayrider -- Colorodo will get a new goalie. Even if they don't, they'll make the playoffs but won't make it far.

yea i know... who is up for trades to be picked up by colorado though?

Almost any goalie you can think of is open to Colorado when it comes down to it. There's probably less than 10 goalies that they couldn't get if they wanted.

Bettman didn't ruin the NHL. I'm tired of people always blaming things on the commish. You wouldn't have done a better job.

i wouldnt have made it so that only 4 of 30 teams are making money... who in their mind would invest after seeing those numbers?

:rolleyes:

Very few teams were making money before he was commisioner. And I highly doubt you would have made it so more than 4 of the teams are making money. How would that be? Making a salary cap that the players union would never do, not to mention the owners who have to pass it? Possibly selling tickets for cheaper thus ruining profits and losing more money? Giving money to the poor teams losing money in the NHL's overall profit, making it so more teams have a profit but the overall profit would be zero? So, how exactly do you plan on making it so all the teams are making a profit? You seem to think you've got the solution, I'd like to hear it.

its not just that, how can these teams in sunbelt cities such as Nashville, Atlanta, Pheonix, Carolina, Miami have come around when teams such as the Canadians, SENATORS, Vancouver, Rangers (ok, lots of $ spent on salary), St Louis, Boston etc are losing money with sell outs almost every game. Common sense would be to fix whats not working now, then expand. Or how about making new rules every damn season be-it no skates in the crease (which ruined that season) to this "obstruction" penalty which Brett Hull put it best.. "do the refs even know what obstruction is? because i sure as hell dont". Before bettman came in, sure, a few teams had problems, but now it looks like he's balanced it out and given almost every team problems. I'm not one of those Pro-Canadian only hockey fans where i think only the original 6 teams should be in the NHL + every other major city in canada having a team. Nor am i anti-expansion, im glad to see hockey is opening up in states where people have never heard of hockey before. I just think its time that bettman move out (or similiarily, we kick him out like they did to him in the NBA) and bring someone back to restructure and properly manage how hockey is ruled, played, televised and attendended. I know its not hard to make every team a Detroit or Colorado franchise, but it would be nice to see more of those franchises than we see now.

<---Big Flyers Fan here, season ticket holder as well. :)

Just found this thread in my searching, as much as I hate the Devils, being a Flyers fan, they really deserved it and played extremely well. The fans should not have booed Giguere, that was a classless display.

It was a great finals series, great playoffs and an awesome season. Can't wait for next year.

The CBA expires after the 2003-04 season so this next year might be the last NHL hockey for a while. :(