The Official Neowin NHL Playoff Thread

Check your NHL Rule Book there BroChaos...

Source : Official National Hockey League Referee's Manual (1999-2000 Season)

<Edit : Off that rule doesn't mention a defending player's ability to score against their own net. Though with all the rules I suppose many things are covered under many rules. >

Cara, I am sure this will be taken as anti Red Wings, but the rule you quote pretty much makes the case for that not being a goal. There is no way that the puck was more than 50% accross the line and rebounded OUT! I don't think it would be physically possible for the puck to hit the inside of the post and rebound out while being 50% accross the goal line. Unless of course he had a wicked backspin going on the puck!

My two cents. At any rate, the Ducks cannot continue to give up 60 shots a game a win their series. They better find some defense quick. A few of the shots the Ducks goalie took last night looked as though they would need to be surgically removed from his chest. If that continues it will only be a matter of time and the Wings will soften him up.

m0fo, ace135cc and Ji@nBing I thought the game was pretty good! Sorry, I would feel the same you all do if I was on the opposite side of the score. What did you think about some of the calls last night? Ref's need to let the guys play a little. I thought both sides had some really bad calls go against them. Personally, I don't know how you could call interference against Bure when he had nowhere to skate when he was going through the crease. Also, I forget who on your side got called for cross checking Tkuchuk but that was a pathetic call. This is hockey, not basketball! There is going to be a little contact, it is part of the game. I fully expect Tkuchuk to get clobbered nightly when he parks in front of the goal. For that matter I'm sure he expects it as well.

I really think that hurt you guys last night since you have a very physical team. I still think it is going to be a tough series.

Vancouver got outplayed in every aspect like Crawford said....they need to forget about this game and move on too game 2.....they can beat St. Louis.

Vancouver in 6

Never heard of any 50% rule. I have always heard 100%.

Detroit won't make the finals, Cujo isn't a good enough goalie. He has never fit in well with the Wings.

THERE IS NO 50%+ RULE, THE PUCK MUST CROSS THE LINE COMPLETELY, GET AN UPDATED RULE BOOK!

:rolleyes: yeah, what year is that book from? the 70's? btw, none of the 6 goals against vancouver should have counted either. they hit the mesh at the back when they went in :whistle:

m0fo, ace135cc and Ji@nBing I thought the game was pretty good!  Sorry, I would feel the same you all do if I was on the opposite side of the score.  What did you think about some of the calls last night?  Ref's need to let the guys play a little.  I thought both sides had some really bad calls go against them.  Personally, I don't know how you could call interference against Bure when he had nowhere to skate when he was going through the crease.  Also, I forget who on your side got called for cross checking Tkuchuk but that was a pathetic call.  This is hockey, not basketball!  There is going to be a little contact, it is part of the game.  I fully expect Tkuchuk to get clobbered nightly when he parks in front of the goal.  For that matter I'm sure he expects it as well.

I really think that hurt you guys last night since you have a very physical team.  I still think it is going to be a tough series.

yeah.. some of the calls were horrible....

but i have to disagree with you on the call against bure.. although he didnt' have anywhere to go, he did give our goalie a little cheap shot (elbow to the back of the head) and the call against jovo (crosscheck on tkuchuk) was also a good call... he gave him an extra shot when it was not needed and pushed him to the ground... however, all those lame too many men on the ice calls and roughing calls ****ed me off and also how naslund got 2 hooking/tripping calls that took us off the PP just in the 1st period... i think he deserved one of those but not both...

there were just way too many penalties called though... marouelli and dean warren should just shove those whistles up their a**es and let them play damnit

m0fo, ace135cc and Ji@nBing I thought the game was pretty good! Sorry, I would feel the same you all do if I was on the opposite side of the score. What did you think about some of the calls last night? Ref's need to let the guys play a little. I thought both sides had some really bad calls go against them. Personally, I don't know how you could call interference against Bure when he had nowhere to skate when he was going through the crease. Also, I forget who on your side got called for cross checking Tkuchuk but that was a pathetic call. This is hockey, not basketball! There is going to be a little contact, it is part of the game. I fully expect Tkuchuk to get clobbered nightly when he parks in front of the goal. For that matter I'm sure he expects it as well.

I really think that hurt you guys last night since you have a very physical team. I still think it is going to be a tough series.

it was a good game in detroit, i missed the first half of the first period, but from what i saw, it was a really good game, and the ducks just had the better shot getting it in the net...

can't say much about the blues/canucks game since it wasn't show here. :cry:

:rolleyes: yeah, what year is that book from? the 70's? btw, none of the 6 goals against vancouver should have counted either. they hit the mesh at the back when they went in :whistle:

What rule book is that from?

:rofl:

Good one!

yeah.. some of the calls were horrible....

but i have to disagree with you on the call against bure.. although he didnt' have anywhere to go, he did give our goalie a little cheap shot (elbow to the back of the head) and the call against jovo (crosscheck on tkuchuk) was also a good call... he gave him an extra shot when it was not needed and pushed him to the ground... however, all those lame too many men on the ice calls and roughing calls ****ed me off and also how naslund got 2 hooking/tripping calls that took us off the PP just in the 1st period... i think he deserved one of those but not both...

there were just way too many penalties called though... marouelli and dean warren should just shove those whistles up their a**es and let them play damnit

If a team is going to win or lose in the playoffs, let it be up to the team, not the refs. This is not their show. I feel the same way as you do, they need to put the whistles "somewhere" and let the guys play.

Got a reply back from Buccigross...

No,? you aren't going crazy.? According to NHL Rules the "Inside Post" call was a perfectly valid and applicable rule up until this season.? It was abolished after several calls had been made by on-ice officials which were disagreed with upon later review by the NHL Commission.

So no, the rule is correct and accurate as you quoted in your email but I'm afraid that for this playoff season, despite what the fans and commentators might feel about it, the rule no longer stands.

That is the on topic part, so the rule stood until the beginning of the season. Figure:p :p Just like Brett Hull's goal on Hasek the year the Stars 'won' the cu:p :p

Good news is it looks like I'm getting an ESPN TeeShirt out of this deal for sending in an intresting questio;) ;) I deserve it after putting up with some of you guys her;) ;)

PS: Anyone else see a typo in his letter or is it just me?

well i'm glad to hear that rule isn't enforced anymore. i have no idea how it ever even got created? is it just me, or does it seem totally insane to have it? it would never be easily enforcable, and it contricts the original goal rule. however, he seems to imply that fans and commentators were in favor of it.....oh well, i guess it's just me :p

thanks for clearing things up though, and that's cool that you got a reply. :)

hehe, putting up with us? ;)

Normally I get a response, they've even answered my question on the air once. ;)

Yes! Putting up with you guys! St. Louis and Colorado fans all over the place. :p

yeah its good that the nhl got rid of that rule...stupid rule...the puck didnt go in...period...it has to be 100% across the line to be a goal...and thats how it should be

yeah its good that the nhl got rid of that rule...stupid rule...the puck didnt go in...period...it has to be 100% across the line to be a goal...and thats how it should be

aaaaaaaaaamen!

exactly! Its like saying i got half a cup of coffee, but in my mind its completely full! :blink:

Is the glass half empty? or half full! Bah..

Damn it! Dallas needs another cup to prove that they deserve the win.

damn right they do :p

that series is still going to this day :)