Windows 7 build 7000 (Beta 1) QnA!

As far as I know the nVidia preview driver is included. Windows Vista drivers should work fine. If you boot from the disk you can format before the installation. Never run it as your main OS though! Always use something final for important things and daily use!

NVIDIA!?!? im running ATI hd 3600 now :D

Im going to run windows 7 as main os, i dont do anything major yet, just listen to music and internet.

im so excited, I remember testing out windows 98 beta. my dad beat the **** out of me cause I used his credit card to have cd shipped to me LOL

Edited by DrOmango

Hmm... ATi also has special Windows 7 drivers on their site.

Hmm... Well you could try to, but remember to backup important documents etc to a USB stickie or something.

NVIDIA!?!? im running ATI hd 3600 now :D

Im going to run windows 7 as main os, i dont do anything major yet, just listen to music and internet.

im so excited, I remember testing out windows 98 beta. my dad killed me caus I used his credit card to buy it LOL

ATi WDDM 1.1 Preview drivers are available (I've posted them here on neowin) and work great.

I noticed that I did not have a mouse during the install process. I was tabbing through the hard drive format options. Oddly enough I have a Microsoft Intellemouse optical.

Also is there a way to make the control panel work like vista/xp. Something about the way the all items option looks seems diffrent and is not familar. Is there a way to change it.

I noticed that I did not have a mouse during the install process. I was tabbing through the hard drive format options. Oddly enough I have a Microsoft Intellemouse optical.

Also is there a way to make the control panel work like vista/xp. Something about the way the all items option looks seems diffrent and is not familar. Is there a way to change it.

The last option in control panel (All control panel items) does that.

Something I really DON'T like is that the Windows Update reboot timer is still there. I postponed it 4 hours ago, and now it suddenly pops up again with a 5 minute countdown timer! That's like quite annoying... Why not just always let the user choose instead of forcing a reboot if they didn't pay attention the five minutes the counter is running? Nagging is okay, but doing things without asking permission is not.

I'm thinking for the consumer who hasn't learned to right-click outside Word and Internet Explorer so far ;) (and that's quite a lot of people unfortunately)

I don't believe that.

Three words: Live Mesh bug?

-------------

I don't believe that.

Oddly enough, there are people that don't use a computer as much as you and me. Otherwise, we'd see them on this board! :p

If one wants to use this W7 beta 1 build as their main OS, in how much time does it expire? Does it require activation after setup? Can you leave the CD-Key blank and still get more than 3 or 30 days worth?

You get 30 days by default, the official beta should be out by then so you could get a key from microsoft. If for some reason it's not publicly out in 30 days you can just use the rearm tool. You don't need to enter a key during setup.

Seems kinda weird that they would invite people to be in the bets.. yet they haven't even started it yet.

Isn't the public one supposed to be out on the 7th?

They better release it to the promised soon.. I have a feeling of their being no public beta.

Seems kinda weird that they would invite people to be in the bets.. yet they haven't even started it yet.

Isn't the public one supposed to be out on the 7th?

They better release it to the promised soon.. I have a feeling of their being no public beta.

It will be a public beta.

-------------

Oddly enough, there are people that don't use a computer as much as you and me. Otherwise, we'd see them on this board! :p

Come on, 'right click'? That's like the most basic thing for a new Windows user to do. Back in high school, when you were learning about the mouse, you learned about the the functions of both left and right click.

Why would they invite people if it was a public beta

There is a different experience between the Public and Private betas. Private testers have the opportunity to work closely with the Windows Team, provide feedback, reports in a structured way. Opportunities like that don't come with the Public beta, you just get to use, send in feedback yes, but it doesn't necessarily read by Microsoft. Technical betas give you the chance to actually make an impact on the product in a big way, trust me, I know.

There is a different experience between the Public and Private betas. Private testers have the opportunity to work closely with the Windows Team, provide feedback, reports in a structured way. Opportunities like that don't come with the Public beta, you just get to use, send in feedback yes, but it doesn't necessarily read by Microsoft. Technical betas give you the chance to actually make an impact on the product in a big way, trust me, I know.

Ok lol

I've just never been in a private Microsoft beta before

Had no idea how it all works.

(like how the Internet and Mail icons also disappeared, and I'm afraid that's one step too far).
I'm thinking for the consumer who hasn't learned to right-click outside Word and Internet Explorer so far ;) (and that's quite a lot of people unfortunately)

I don't understand how that could be too far? I don't even understand their use anyway? The way I see it is, now-a-days, the average consumer would know which browser they use to browse the Internet (Internet Explorer, Firefox, etc). They might not know what a web browser actually is (lol) but they at least know what they use (they will more than likely know this from the application icon they see everytime). The same goes for email. Therefore, what is wrong with getting rid of these hideous things? (I hated it when it said "Internet" and "Email" in bold underneath the shortcuts to them, even though they could be easily deleted). A consumer is bound to know they can pin things to the start menu. Hell, I figured that out before I was even into computers much.

If a user does not know they can do that or does not even know about the right-click options then they really should not be using a computer. If they complain and blame the computer / operating system then they should stop being so ignorant and we, as developers, should not cater for the ignorant average user! That's the way I see it :)

The bug was actually in Live Mesh itself rather than Windows 7 and as sharp65 said, there will be an update for the Windows version of Live Mesh which will fix this (they have already fixed it internally).