Windows 7 build 7000 (Beta 1) QnA!

I'm impressed to say that it feels a lot better than even 6956.

Working beautifully. I gave Ati's W7 preview driver another shot at the advice of some other members here and find it to be working very well. It gave me problems in 6801 so I had avoided it in 6956, but it is working great here.

I also noticed that an annoying bug that caused programs not to pop up windows correctly when clicking their running taskbar icons has been fixed. i.e. Clicking the icon for Pidgin now brings up my buddy list, clicking the steam icon brings up my games list whereas I had to go to the hidden tray icon to get these to appear before.

I gotta say, im very impressed with this os. Still trying to figure out some new stuff. installing applications with no problems.

Actually I did have a problem, but the troubleshoot compatibility made it work :D

After nearly four hours of downloading and another couple hours of installing software/drivers, it's finally up and running fully. I thought 6956 was pretty fast by itself, 7000 does seem a little faster but barely noticeable for me. Stability was the most noticeable difference as I had a few issues every once in a while with 6956. The other immediate change I noticed is the fullscreen window title bar text more readable and does not blend into the desktop background as much. Firefox 3.1b3pre (shiretoko) still crashes when exiting gmail (*sigh*). Guess that is just something Mozilla needs to get straightened out.

After nearly four hours of downloading and another couple hours of installing software/drivers, it's finally up and running fully. I thought 6956 was pretty fast by itself, 7000 does seem a little faster but barely noticeable for me. Stability was the most noticeable difference as I had a few issues every once in a while with 6956. The other immediate change I noticed is the fullscreen window title bar text more readable and does not blend into the desktop background as much. Firefox 3.1b3pre (shiretoko) still crashes when exiting gmail (*sigh*). Guess that is just something Mozilla needs to get straightened out.

Firefox 3.05 does not exhibit the problem.. it must be specific to that version of Firefox and windows 7.

For folks who are wondering, Daemon Tools is still a no-go.. it can't start its install routine before windows 7 is fully loaded.. they'll likely have to come out with a new version specifically for windows 7.

The OS feels marginally faster to me as well, though 6956 didn't feel sluggish at all.

A few other things I noticed -

Programs like Pidgin and Steam that used to "Hide" in the system tray and were unresponsive to clicking on their program icon on the super bar now respond as expected. Pidgin pops up the buddy list and steam pops up your games list. However, if you don't have an active window of the program open somewhere, the icon on the superbar does not inform you that it is running.

My audio settings for speaker configuration are being remembered now.. sometimes 6956 would forget them and reset the output to stereo instead of 7.1 (I have a HD4870 hooked up to a Pioneer A/V receiver)

Windows experience index actually went up after I installed ATI's W7 preview drivers.. my lowest score is 6.0, which is my hdd score.. W7 seems to like the 32mb of onboard cache.

They put the "change user account icon" on the side-bar in the personalize section.. if it was there in 6801 or 6956, I don't remember it.

This feels like a nearly finished OS... even more so than 6956.. kudos to Microsoft on this one.

Wonder if this is fixed in 7000, in build 6956 minimizing a firefox/minefield window would open up my windows live messenger (2009) contact window (if open)! Both are pinned to the taskbar.

The gadgets are still not working if you turn off UAC, and many gadgets like sidebar player( http://gallery.live.com/liveItemDetail.asp...p;bt=1&pl=1 ) does not work in this build.

The sidebar player did work in version 6801 64 bit.

MS should fix this UAC/Gadgets bug before they release the public beta.

I would also like to see the green color in the volume icon in the taskbar again.

Not much has change in this build from version 6956 however, the speed seems to be a little better in version 7000.

Edited by Luke777

:laugh:

Oh yeah. This is clearly Beta 1 quality.

:rolleyes:

post-262662-1230368659_thumb.jpg

and after running the Performance Index Tool - I now have a taskbar!

post-262662-1230369182_thumb.jpg

Edited by Denholm

rofl @ Denholm

About lower scores: as previously mentioned sequential read speed is no longer the only test for disks. Other tests with random reads and background (random) reads will also determine your disk score.

Sucks that some WEI scores will be lowered from Vista, but at least it can inform users who notice choppy performance with a 4-rated HD.

hello to all :)

I would have some questions to make on beta 1:

1) during the installation it still creates the partition from 200 mb?

2) regarding build the 6956, what changes in meaningful way?

3) if it creates that partition from 200 mb, it creates problems for installations in dual boot of systems linux?

Excused for my English? are Italia:p:p

rofl @ Denholm

About lower scores: as previously mentioned sequential read speed is no longer the only test for disks. Other tests with random reads and background (random) reads will also determine your disk score.

Sucks that some WEI scores will be lowered from Vista, but at least it can inform users who notice choppy performance with a 4-rated HD.

It totally invalidates the whole system then. If Microsoft is going to go with the system ratings, don't make it so the system ratings drop nearly two full points! It doesn't make any sense at all for an OS that's supposedly faster, but really the same speed as what Vista performs.

I made this DVD cover some maybe interested in... quite basic but maybe something useful if want to keep it looking bit better then bland DVD case. Apologies for Pale like colour photoshop didn't want to play nice too much and BG image had to be stretched for canvas.

Warning 3225x2138 approx 3MB size.

http://localhostr.com/files/02bee2/Win7dvd33.png

I have psd if anyone wishes to try fix it.

:crazy: Shouldn't be surprised that this 'Beta 1' is crappy. That will teach me for downloading something before it's ready.

Wow you think this Beta is crap just because of a stupid score, that in no way affects your performance in normal windows use ? Or because of some minor bug ? :blink:

Here we go again with Vista Second Edition crap... :(

Wow you think this Beta is crap just because of a stupid score, that in no way affects your performance in normal windows use :blink:

Nooooope, I'm sure it was referring to his previous screenshot where there was no taskbar after installing his version of Windows 7 :D

What happened there Denholm? Is the taskbar still not showing?

EDIT: Oops, just saw your original post again Denholm so I have my answer ;) lol.

Wow you think this Beta is crap just because of a stupid score, that in no way affects your performance in normal windows use ? Or because of some minor bug ? :blink:

Score? What score are you spouting off about?!

A missing Taskbar - which has now come good, was my main complaint.

What happened there Denholm? Is the taskbar still not showing?

:laugh: Sure its working now. But it was really annoying starting windows, no taskbar just a start menu button. ROFL

Working beautifully on both my iMac and MacBook Pro.

No issues installing the Boot Camp drivers at all? Hm, I'm tempted to give it a go then...

No issues installing the Boot Camp drivers at all? Hm, I'm tempted to give it a go then...

I was going to try it Mephistopheles. But I decided against it until Win 7 goes final.