PS3 Media Server

Osiris

sometimes you have to transcode and I thought tversity had an option to transcode only when needed. In any case I use to be a big fan of Tversity but after I built my new WHS I switched to the PS3mediaserver and love it, much easier to use and just works. :)

+Audioboxer

Has anybody encountered any issues with the Cinavia DRM? Essentially the audio track is muted during the movie and there's no way to get it back. Happened to me whilst I was watching The Losers, and there's no known fix right now.

http://www.cinavia.com/

No idea, all I can add is the developer was taking a break after build 410, but on twitter he says he will return soon.

DirtyLarry

Thought I'd post this here, because this has made my life even easier. Right now I have 3 hard drives my media is split over and it's annoying having 3 separate hard drives added to PS3MS then having to browse through each one. All my movies are listed in alphabetical order, but if I'm sifting through them looking for something to watch I need to remember to browse all 3 hard drives on my PS3...

Instead what you can do is create one folder somewhere, on any drive, say c:\Movies, and create what is called symbolic links to your content in this folder.

LinkShell Extension - http://schinagl.priv...nkshellext.html

Intall LinkShell Extension, then highlight whatever folders/files you want, right click and go to 'Pick Link Source', then go to the main movies folder you created, right click, Drop As -> Symbolic Link Clone.

It creates a 0kb shortcut that is compatible with PS3MS (normal windows short cuts won't work in case you're wondering why you've just done all the above).

I just dump everything into my C:\Movies folder now and have added that to PS3MS. All my content is under the one folder even although it's split over 3 drives.

Nice tip, I definitely have to try this. I found out on my own that regular shortcuts do not work, so this would be nice as I do have stuff over a few externals as well.

Has anybody encountered any issues with the Cinavia DRM? Essentially the audio track is muted during the movie and there's no way to get it back. Happened to me whilst I was watching The Losers, and there's no known fix right now.

http://www.cinavia.com/

I've read comments by people about the Cinavia DRM, it is definitely affecting everyone.

ynnoj

I've read comments by people about the Cinavia DRM, it is definitely affecting everyone.

Sony dropped it in with 3.10 firmware. Is it possible for me to go back?

+Advancer

Sony dropped it in with 3.10 firmware. Is it possible for me to go back?

Sorry, there's no chance to downgrade the firmware on your PS3 =/ Many would if they could, ever since they removed the Other OS option.

ynnoj

Sorry, there's no chance to downgrade the firmware on your PS3 =/ Many would if they could, ever since they removed the Other OS option.

I thought that was the case. Just have to wait until they find a way around this piracy measure. It'll only be a matter of time.

+Audioboxer

On a related note what on earth is Cinavia DRM?

Sethos

DRM made by someone called Cinavia ... *cough*

+Audioboxer

DRM made by someone called Cinavia ... *cough*

I was asking as I have no idea how it "gets into" your regular files setup for streaming. Yup even personal rips, done many myself and all you're doing is extracting the video and audio track you want and putting them into a container for viewing.

I still don't understand how DRM is coming into affect here.

Besides basic Blu Ray DRM which is easily defeated by AnyDVD when ripping, that's all I know of in relation to DRM and movies.

ynnoj

Cinavia is a somewhat new DRM technology that uses "audio watermarking" embedded into the audio stream portion of a movie. In a nutshell, what it does is compare the source of the audio to the format in which a movie was released (ie theatrical or commercial disc), and if the watermarked audio source detects a difference, the movie will either be mute (but most likely not play at all). So far, there have been at least two popular movies found on peer-to-peer that contain Cinavia DRM: TS/CAM versions of The Wolfman and Shutter Island.

http://filesharefreak.com/2010/03/03/cinavia-drm-aimed-to-stop-piracy-on-blu-ray-ps3s/

+Audioboxer

Damn that's sucky indeed.

Hopefully there will be workarounds that don't involve transcoding/messing around with audio tracks too much.

M4nB3arP1g

Cinavia is the main reason I haven't updated my ps3 besides the other os option.

Mike Herm

I have this running on my Windows Home Server 24/7 with forced transcoding for all extensions, even native ones, its great because it varies the bit rate to account for heavy network traffic, which i have a lot of because I run a web server out of my house and have a couple media extenders and 7 computers hooked up. It is very beneficial even with a fully gigabit connected network. If putting it on a Home Server, i do suggest installing the Combined Community Codec Pack (CCCP) as well because it really helps with the CPU load.

AbandonedTrolley

Yeah unfortunately I hit the problem with 'Losers', it plays fine through VLC on the PC just not on the PC. Not sure anyone will find a way around this one, but will be happy to be proven wrong :)

rajputwarrior

i gave up on this program. would never work properly. wired or wirelessly. tried about 8 different versions, official releases and beta. ended up buying one of these

http://www.patriotmem.com/products/detailp.jsp?prodline=6&catid=69&prodgroupid=159&id=895&type=20

thing is awesome! put my own HDD in it too (Y). I can stream 720p and even 1080p from my wireless N setup to this thing without issue. PS3 media server, not so much. fast forward/rewinind would cause it to have a hernia, not with the patriot box though (Y)

Andrew

^ yup, except I went the Revo route instead.

rajputwarrior

(Y) got a link to that? never heard of revo (don't think they sell them in canada...) i tried googling. all that came up was a wifi radio box...

AbandonedTrolley

Been running a Revo with XBM for a while now, I have one of the original single core machines but still works well enough. Best thing about it is that it is totally silent!

Sethos

Got a question here,

As I was watching a few 1080p movies on my 360, I noticed the bar on the 'status' tab, the 'coding buffer status' ( My software is in Danish, so I'm doing rough translation ). It would basically

decline slowly as the movie progressed and when it hit the bottom the movie would start skipping and lag all over the place. I could pause it and let the buffer thing regenerate and it would

run smoothly again but the audio would be out of sync.

Now question is basically, what is that and how do I stop it from dropping? What I can do is pause the movie every hour or so but I'd love to get a more permanent fix.

( I did set the buffer max size to 600 )

+Audioboxer

Got a question here,

As I was watching a few 1080p movies on my 360, I noticed the bar on the 'status' tab, the 'coding buffer status' ( My software is in Danish, so I'm doing rough translation ). It would basically

decline slowly as the movie progressed and when it hit the bottom the movie would start skipping and lag all over the place. I could pause it and let the buffer thing regenerate and it would

run smoothly again but the audio would be out of sync.

Now question is basically, what is that and how do I stop it from dropping? What I can do is pause the movie every hour or so but I'd love to get a more permanent fix.

( I did set the buffer max size to 600 )

You'll probably have to lower the quality of the transcoding.

Sethos

Arg, no way - I'll just pause it every hour and let it buffer up :rofl:

arrrgh

hmm, if you are doing the transcoding on the i7 940 box, you should have plenty of power to handle 1080p content. Make sure that under "Common transcoding settings" the number of cores is set correctly and that under "Mencoder" you have Enhanced multicore support enabled.

Sethos

I am, everything is set up for multicore rendering ( Cores only set to 4 as HT is disabled, for gaming purposes ).