PS3 Media Server

ynnoj

I'm trying to stream HD (720p) content wirelessly but it's horrendously jumpy. Is there anything I should alter?

Andrew

That's the nature of wireless unfortunately. Are you far away from the router? It would sometimes be jumpy for me and my PS3 and router are right next to each other. I switched to wired though seeing as KZ2 was coming out and I figured I'd use it more.

Make sure you are using 600 (640?) ram in the settings too. The more it has the better.

Don't bother with the DMZ or any of that nonsense. Doesn't make a difference when using this app.

ynnoj

Both my MacBook and PS3 are literally feet away from my router. I've tried adjusting the buffer size to 600, but it never seems to save the setting.

Would it help if my PS3 was wired, even if my MacBook remains wireless?

TheElite

I didn't think another thread was needed for this, but, when I connect my external HD to my PS3, none of my videos (normal or Divx/Xvid) show up. Only music works.

I connect it back up to my 360 and everything including the folders works. I should mention that there are no files in the root, only folders.

matthewmarley

Unless your HD is FAT32 then your files wont show as it doesnt read NTFS.

Both my MacBook and PS3 are literally feet away from my router. I've tried adjusting the buffer size to 600, but it never seems to save the setting.

If you have the option to go wired then do it.... I have never had any issues with 720p and 1080p content.

ynnoj
If you have the option to go wired then do it.... I have never had any issues with 720p and 1080p content.

I will be once I have my new router and external HDD. Until then, no HD streaming for me :(

I'm still suffering from lack of video thumbnails. Any suggestions?

+Audioboxer
I will be once I have my new router and external HDD. Until then, no HD streaming for me :(

I'm still suffering from lack of video thumbnails. Any suggestions?

See if installing CCCP works - http://www.shakeababy.net/cccp/Combined-Co...-2008-09-21.exe

Also custom cover art is way better than thumbnails IMO anyway

ps3customart.jpg

Boz posted his PSD on page 13 or 14 I think.

Just save the output as folder.png and put it in the same folder as the MKV file.

ynnoj
See if installing CCCP works - http://www.shakeababy.net/cccp/Combined-Co...-2008-09-21.exe

Also custom cover art is way better than thumbnails IMO anyway

ps3customart.jpg

Boz posted his PSD on page 13 or 14 I think.

Just save the output as folder.png and put it in the same folder as the MKV file.

Slight issue, I'm running a Mac :pinch:

I look the look of the folder art, I'll try it out.

TheElite
Unless your HD is FAT32 then your files wont show as it doesnt read NTFS.

The HD is in FAT32, otherwise it wouldn't work on the 360 either.

+Audioboxer
I didn't think another thread was needed for this, but, when I connect my external HD to my PS3, none of my videos (normal or Divx/Xvid) show up. Only music works.

I connect it back up to my 360 and everything including the folders works. I should mention that there are no files in the root, only folders.

Push triangle on your USB drive under the XMB, then select show all.

If you want your PS3 to pickup media files automatically you need to create a folder called VIDEO in the root of your USB drive, then put your videos in there (subfolders can be used, you just need them all under root/VIDEO).

Andrew

Yup, I had the same problem. You could always try changing your wireless channel, it may help cut out any interferences.

And it's worth a go wiring the PS3, but you still have a cloud between your MB and router. It might occur less, at least for the mean time until you get the N router.

zerolimit

I have my External HD on my ps3 but how can I make it so it shows the Images! I can't find the drive from my computer! thanks guys! or does the HD need to be connected to my computer! and if its connected to the computer NTFS should work right? by the way its as FAT32 right now!

ynnoj
Yup, I had the same problem. You could always try changing your wireless channel, it may help cut out any interferences.

And it's worth a go wiring the PS3, but you still have a cloud between your MB and router. It might occur less, at least for the mean time until you get the N router.

I tried a wired connection and it was a lot better. Not perfect, but that should improve once I get my N draft router.

I have my External HD on my ps3 but how can I make it so it shows the Images! I can't find the drive from my computer! thanks guys! or does the HD need to be connected to my computer! and if its connected to the computer NTFS should work right? by the way its as FAT32 right now!

What kind of media are you trying to view? As Audioboxer said, you'll need to create a root folder on your HDD called 'VIDEO' and the PS3 should pick it up automatically.

zerolimit

It reads it, I want to make it have the album art work like the previous pages showing the Blu-ray Cover!

+Audioboxer
It reads it, I want to make it have the album art work like the previous pages showing the Blu-ray Cover!

If it's for video files download the PSD file Boz posted on page 13/14 and save as a PNG file called cover.png in the same folder as your video.

If all your videos are in the same folder name it like this

Video1.mkv

Video2.mkv

call the image file video1.mkv.cover.png, and the image file for the next video, video2.mkv.cover.png

If it's audio files, you can use cover.png but also in PS3MS there is an option called "audio thumbnails display". From the list box you can select "download from amazon" and PS3MS will automatically download your covers for you when you browse your audio folders on the XMB. That is subject to decent tagging though and some obscure stuff may not be on Amazon.

zerolimit

yea I figured that part out but how do I get ps3mediaserver to find the HD? Its hooked up to the ps3 but I can't find the name of the external hd ? what drive is it? or does the external drive have to be hooked up to my pc instead of the ps3?

+Audioboxer
yea I figured that part out but how do I get ps3mediaserver to find the HD? Its hooked up to the ps3 but I can't find the name of the external hd ? what drive is it? or does the external drive have to be hooked up to my pc instead of the ps3?

Why on earth would you have the drive hooked up to the PS3?

This program is for streaming media from a PC to the PS3 :p

If you're using an external hard drive to your PS3 you would play the content directly off it. Obviously you're limited to FAT32 and to get around that you'd need to mux your HD content with an application that can split it into 4GB segments - MKV2VOB

Best solution would be to hookup your external to your PC and stream everything.

zerolimit

MKV2VOB is my life! hehe! i use that for everything! awsome thanks!

calidro

I ran into some issues with PS3MS v1.10.51 on my box running Windows 7 beta (6.1.7000). I installed PS3MS in the default directory (C:\program files\...) and left everything default in the GUI then fired up the PS3 then ran PS3MS.

After a search for media servers the PS3 found the PS3MS. I was able to search all of my folders and subfolders, to a point. Now I'm not sure that PS3MS chokes on drilling down past several folders or what but I couldn't get to my files. I could see the folder the files were in, but couldn't get into the folder.

I then uninstalled PS3MS. Reinstalled, but this time changed the install dir to be C:\PS3 Media Server. Then I created a desktop icon, right click - properties. Go to the compatibility tab and changed:

'run this prog in compatibility mode for:' = Windows XP SP2

'privlege level' = check run this prog as an adminstrator.

After these setting changes I now have everything working perfectly on my Windows 7 beta box.

Summary:

1) Install to C:\ not C:\program files

2) Run in compatibility mode for XP SP2

3) Run program as administrator

This works for me, hopefully this helps others.

insanekiwi

i am a ps3 media server noob too and am not afraid to ask stupid questions:

currently my ps3 uses wlan, yet i hooked up a NAS via a switch and some cabled to my ps3. can i use the ps3 with wlan and lan at the same time so the ps3 media server sees it?

ynnoj

Now that the Mac client supports the TsMuxer engine, my 720p MKV streaming is flawless :D

Sethos

Can't get my subtitles to work. Got them in the same folder as the movie, same name. Everything in the Media Server settings are set to allow subtitles and it even says [External subtitles]* on the PS3 but nothing is displaying :/

+Audioboxer
Can't get my subtitles to work. Got them in the same folder as the movie, same name. Everything in the Media Server settings are set to allow subtitles and it even says [External subtitles]* on the PS3 but nothing is displaying :/

Try this latest beta - http://mogoo.free.fr/files/trunk/pms-setup...ws-1.10.620.exe

I read something about subtitles in the fixes/changes.

Sethos

Nope, still nothing :/

+Audioboxer

Can you grab some subs off the internet for another movie in your collection and see if it works?

I don't use subs myself so I'm not sure about the process. I think it supports all kinds of subtitle files, SRT is the most popular right?