PS3 Media Server

The beta Mac client is so unstable. I generally have to Force Quit every time I'm done using it.

I recommend uninstalling/reinstalling for anyone on Windows or MAC who just installed over the top.

Had to re-do my settings after, but it fixed some crashing.

I recommend uninstalling/reinstalling for anyone on Windows or MAC who just installed over the top.

Had to re-do my settings after, but it fixed some crashing.

I always have to fix my settings every time I update, clean install or not.

Apparently it's the new mencoder build causing some issues, 625 for anyone that wants to roll back - http://mogoo.free.fr/files/deprecated/pms-...ws-1.10.625.exe

Also, some dudes been working on IMDB support, which is quite cool :cool:

IMG_8709-small.jpg

http://ps3mediaserver.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2126

Also, some dudes been working on IMDB support, which is quite cool :cool:

Wow, cool indeed, talk about being creative.

To bad that it probably can't be implemented and be made to look more naturally integrated to the rest of the PS3's slick interface.

I agree with the heft interface. Of all the Transcoding Settings, I've only touched upon the Video File Engine.

In a way, I don't mind the current layout. It takes time to learn how to tweak it all. Everyone's network is different and settings vary from network to network.

IMDB support working here.

It picks up the info from my file names as well it seems, no need for anything else other than the movie file.

Update for IMDB support

Update 11 May 2009

slightly improve Moviename detection from filename

Added (internal) plugin support. ( 3 plugins atm -> IMDB,CSFD(Czech) and FILMWEB(Polish) )

Added MOVIEINFO.conf (config file in PMS root directory)

Added Tv resolution support for displaying Plot (can be changed in MOVIEINFO.conf ->Linelength)

Number of cast to display can now also be changed in MOVIEINFO.conf

Plugins can be switch on or off in MOVIEINFO.conf

Websites are now decoded in UTF-8

Based on r333

Jar updated

Patch with classes updated

New updated JAR file (11 May ) (based on 333 revision) ftp://user:%22%22@r17968.ovh.net/pms11052009.zip

Been having a few issues with this on since upgrading to windows 7.

I cant fast forward on files, they just stick then when I press play it just goes back to the start.

I have CCCP codec pack and Core AVC installed, is there anything else that I could be missing.

Thanks

Matthew

Been having a few issues with this on since upgrading to windows 7.

I cant fast forward on files, they just stick then when I press play it just goes back to the start.

I have CCCP codec pack and Core AVC installed, is there anything else that I could be missing.

Thanks

Matthew

Are you using the latest beta, build 630?

The version of mplayer in that build is terrible, slow, sluggish and doesn't display thumbnails correctly.

http://mogoo.free.fr/files/deprecated/pms-...ws-1.10.625.exe - Install this first and go into the main folder, win32, then copy mplayer.exe to your desktop. Uninstall.

http://mogoo.free.fr/files/trunk/pms-setup...ws-1.10.630.exe - Now install this, go into the main folder, win32, then overwrite mplayer.exe with the copy on your desktop.

Shagrath is going to be releasing a new build soon with a better copy of mplayer I believe.

Would you recommend any other codecs to install along with what I have already got ?

Codec packs don't actually matter for PMS I don't think - It does everything with it's own tools.

I guess just make sure you have the latest beta of CCCP installed - http://www.cccp-project.net/beta/

Let me just see if I understand this correctly - this thing has full on-the-fly remuxing support? As in, the high-def MKV files that I have on here will play instantly when I select them on the PS3, without the actual audio or video stream being re-encoded or transcoded? If so, awesome!

My current method for getting videos to play is taking the .mkv, importing it into tsmuxer, remuxing the streams into an .m2ts container, adn then sharing the file. And if the stream is DTS, I have to extract that first, do a lengthy two-pass conversion to 640kbps AC3 using eac3to in the command line, then import that audio stream and the video stream into tsmuxer. Needless to say, it's kind of a pain. If I want to watch a movie, I have to go to my PC, figure out what I want to watch, and then spend ten minutes or more remuxing the file before I can go back to the PS3 and play it.

If I'm right about the whole remuxing on-the-fly thing, that means CPU usage should be low, right? I'd like to run this on a crappy old Athlon 64 3200+ system I have lying around, as it currently streams 1080p h264/ac3 m2ts files flawlessly on my wired LAN.

Also, what's the deal with what I was reading about DTS? It takes the DTS stream but just changes its header tags to LPCM 2.0 to trick the PS3 to sending the stream to the receiver, without actually having to alter the DTS stream itself? Does anyone know how to do this manually so I can do that instead of an AC3 encode when I opt to convert files to .m2ts by hand?

Thanks!

Let me just see if I understand this correctly - this thing has full on-the-fly remuxing support? As in, the high-def MKV files that I have on here will play instantly when I select them on the PS3, without the actual audio or video stream being re-encoded or transcoded? If so, awesome!

My current method for getting videos to play is taking the .mkv, importing it into tsmuxer, remuxing the streams into an .m2ts container, adn then sharing the file. And if the stream is DTS, I have to extract that first, do a lengthy two-pass conversion to 640kbps AC3 using eac3to in the command line, then import that audio stream and the video stream into tsmuxer. Needless to say, it's kind of a pain. If I want to watch a movie, I have to go to my PC, figure out what I want to watch, and then spend ten minutes or more remuxing the file before I can go back to the PS3 and play it.

If I'm right about the whole remuxing on-the-fly thing, that means CPU usage should be low, right? I'd like to run this on a crappy old Athlon 64 3200+ system I have lying around, as it currently streams 1080p h264/ac3 m2ts files flawlessly on my wired LAN.

Also, what's the deal with what I was reading about DTS? It takes the DTS stream but just changes its header tags to LPCM 2.0 to trick the PS3 to sending the stream to the receiver, without actually having to alter the DTS stream itself? Does anyone know how to do this manually so I can do that instead of an AC3 encode when I opt to convert files to .m2ts by hand?

Thanks!

It remuxes content that is dxva compliant or at least complies to the correct amount of reference frames in relation to encode resolution (720p/1080p).

Some content may need transcoding.

It does it all on the fly without altering the original file. If your files are encoded correctly and are just remuxing pretty much any system will be able to handle it. If anything needs transcoding you'll need a fairly decent system.

DTS works by tricking the PS3 into thinking it's receiving PCM so it passes the audio stream untouched to the receiver which knows it's DTS and plays it back correctly - Nothing is altered in relation to stream quality, only headers are changed.

If you want to make permanent changes use MKV2VOB - http://www.mkv2vob.com/showthread.php?tid=1

Be warned though files converted through MKV2VOB to play DTS won't work right on your PC afterwards due to the way the headers of the DTS stream are patched to think it's PCM. Best just to use PS3Mediaserver unless you plan on copying files to the PS3 hard drive, then MK2VOB is the option for you.

Neat, this is gonna save me a lot of effort in the future then. I'll download it and give it a shot, thanks!

EDIT:

Configured it as per your guide a few pages back. Currently streaming a 720p .mkv of House However, it takes a good 15 seconds or so to start streaming, and mencoder.exe is running and chewing up CPU. This leads me to believe that it's transcoding, when, according to the settings I used, it shouldn't be. I know this file is compatible with the PS3, because I ran it through tsMuxer a few days ago and streamed it with Twonky and it plays perfectly.

Any way to fully disable the program's transcoding ability so files that aren't compatible will just fail to play altogether?

Edited by DWells55

Well, I just tried it out with a 1080p .mkv with a h264 stream that averages around 20Mbps but will peak close to 30Mbps along with a DTS audio stream. DTS worked and the receiver reported it as a 3/2.1 stream as it was which was nice. mencoder.exe has two instances running still and using CPU, but I have no idea what they were doing as the video quality was clearly not transcoded and there's no way my system could transcode 1080p, especially at that bitrate. However, every five to ten minutes or so, the video would pause for about a second and stutter before picking back up.

Any idea what would cause this, what my limiting factor might be? If it's not transcoding, I don't see why my CPU would be a problem. The network connection is to a 10/100Mb router (running DD-WRT) and wired on gigabit-rated Cat5E I cut and crimped myself, so I doubt my network has anything to do with it. The hard drive isn't the greatest, but it's SATA and certainly capable of sustained read/write over 30Mbps. I'm thinking it may be because of the low free space on both my partitions (less than 5GBs), so I'm doing house cleaning on both partitions currently and then merging them so I'll have a larger chunk of free space, hopefully 20GB or so.

Anyways, I'm gonna give my own ideas a shot tomorrow ot try to get this working, but any suggestions in the meantime would be great.

Well, merged my partitions, cleared my temp, and freed up 40GB of hard drive space. Just tried another high bitrate movie (closer to 16mbps average, peaks in low 20s) and while the 6.1 DTS-ES stream worked just fine, it still exhibited the same stuttering problems. Any suggestions?

Athlon 64 3200+

1GB DDR

XP Pro SP3

Lousy, yes, but it can tsMux a movie much faster than the length of the movie, and it's had no trouble streaming large m2ts files over Twonky in the past.

Anyways, I've upped the transcode buffer to 600 and disabled all the Vedio engines with the exception of tsMuxer and that seems to have fixed it for this one file at least. I'll test again later with some higher bitrate files.

EDIT: after fifteen minutes of being fine, the second I finished my post and walked back over to the couch, it stuttered. Sigh. Also, the buffer setting of 600 doesn't stick after exiting the program, regardless of using the save button. I'll try that beta out later.

Ahhhh PS3MS uses your RAM to transcode and mux files so it's not constantly grinding away at your hard drive. That's what that 400mb buffer is, 400mb of your ram.

1GB of ram is pretty low for that.

Also your specs ain't that great for transcoding, a dual core processor is best for 1080p files. 720p would be better for you, but all 720p would remux anyway. It's only some incorrectly 1080p files that need transcoding.

Yeah I don't plan on doing any transcoding, the quality loss defeats the purpose of a 20GB Blu-ray rip. My rips are all h264 since I had PS3 compatibility in mind, so far I'm yet to have a single 1080p file I ran through tsMuxer have any problems playing on it. As for RAM, it is low, but I'm not running anything else and I have non-essential services disabled, so it shouldn't be running out of RAM. My goal with this software was just to save me the hassle of manually running an already compatible file through tsMuxer when I want to watch it.

Anyways, I'll give the beta a shot.

It's annoying how it randomly signs me out of the Playstation Network whenever I'm watching pretty much anything, happens very frequently.

New Beta: version 1.11.335 / revision SVN 335 (next official version should be an 1.15 or 1.20)

2 major changes:

- update of the ffmpeg/mplayer/mencoder windows builds: http://oss.netfarm.it/mplayer-win32.php. Hope this will solve troubles people had with the 1.10.630...

- introduce a whole new HTTP Engine, based on the Netty project. Basically http stuff is now asynchronous.

Of course, this is highly experimental, that's why it's enabled by default icon_e_smile.gif you can revert to the old one in the "general configuration" tab.

Feedbacks more than welcome. copy/paste of the changelog regarding this:

. no more random sound cuts when playing mp3s

. better network/system performances ?

. better media renderer support ? (my set top box at least)

. better AVI/MP4 support on ps3 ? (fingers crossed for solving the "network error" issue on OSX)

http://mogoo.free.fr/files/trunk/pms-setup...ws-1.11.335.exe

http://mogoo.free.fr/files/trunk/pms-linux-1.11.335.tgz

OSX - http://ps3mediaserver.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1635 (don't think latest beta has been compiled yet)