PS3 Media Server

Can you take a screen grab of the mencoder section showing off your subtitle settings?

Aye it looks fine to me, im a bit stumped :/

I'll have a look on the official forums. As I say I'm not probably the best guy to talk to about subtitles, never used them. Some other people on Neowin should surely chime in.

Think you could upload the subs and let other people check them? Stick them on mediafire or something.

Subs seems to work fine on the PC, so I'd expect them to work fine on my TV as well. As I said, tried subs from two different sources as well, so I just think it's just not feeding them correctly. One thing though, I had "Definitely disable subtitles" enabled up until today, would it change anything when you've had that enable and then disable it?

Guess I just have to watch the film on my PC *sigh*

Subs seems to work fine on the PC, so I'd expect them to work fine on my TV as well. As I said, tried subs from two different sources as well, so I just think it's just not feeding them correctly. One thing though, I had "Definitely disable subtitles" enabled up until today, would it change anything when you've had that enable and then disable it?

Guess I just have to watch the film on my PC *sigh*

Long shot as it's probably the first thing you did, but it might need a program restart for that option to start working? [in fact you will have restarted it if you installed a new build]

Does the subtitles button on the PS3 do anything? Push triangle then go to subs?

Also tell me if it's transcoding the video, see the buffer on the main window, if it's topping at 100mb and filling the whole bar it's just remuxing, if it's using x/400 or 600mb (whatever your buffer size is) it's transcoding.

Any time you use subs it will transcode regardless of if the video is PS3 compatible.

Of course I restarted, also had to in order to upgrade :p

Subtitle button on the PS3 just tells me; "There are no subtitles available".

Here is the main window of the program with the movie running;

bij9e1.png

So it's transcoding?

Yeah it is!

I gotta head out for a few hours just now, I'll try and solve this with you later if you don't nail it (Y)

Of course I restarted, also had to in order to upgrade :p

I have to recommend you to try a complete uninstall with removal of all your settings and fresh install.

I had serious issues even getting connections going once after an upgrade from one version to another and I do remember reading about changes to the subs part for some release (don't recall which one) .

After a complete fresh install everything worked fine again as usual for me :)

Mind giving it a try?

I found out VOBSUBs are not supported. I think media info tells you what type of sub it is?

Supposedly it's not as popular a type of sub, but for whatever reason mencoder doesn't currently support it. AVISynth does though...

You could always try using TSMuxer to actually mux the subs into the MKV file so they aren't separate, but I dunno if that which change anything.

I have some subtitles on a MKV which I presume are integrated into the file. Is there anyway to disable them?

Just tick "definitely disable subtitles" under "Common transcode settings".

Just tick "definitely disable subtitles" under "Common transcode settings".

Due to the terrible Mac UI, I don't think I can view that option :(

Looking in PMS.conf now and I can't see it there either.

EDIT: Got it.

Edited by ynnoj

Due to the terrible Mac UI, I don't think I can view that option :(

Looking in PMS.conf now and I can't see it there either.

Don't think mine has it either, UI shot:

pmssubs.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

revision 330:

http://mogoo.free.fr/files/trunk/pms-setup...ws-1.10.630.exe

revision 329 for OSX:

http://files.exonet.nl/ps3/pms-macosx-beta-r329.dmg

- Changes / Features

OSX: tsMuxeR and FLAC binaries are now available in this build, this adds a lot of features on Mac which were previously only available on Windows or Linux (like DTS and remux support)

Externalization of PS3/Xbox playback profiles, it's now possible to create profiles for any media renderer (Popcorn Hour already included)

Handling of UTF8 and UTF16 encoding, and case insensitive external subtitles

CUE playlist support

Updated tsMuxeR binaries (better H264 camcorders support)

Windows: Launcher now detects Java 64 bits if installed

Windows: Updated mencoder/mplayer/ffmpeg builds

OSX: Native look, now looks like a Mac application

OSX: Updated mencoder/mplayer/ffmpeg builds, support for FriBidi

OSX: Updated build script to make a bundle or dmg automatically (thanks to Josh Klun)

New translations: Slovenian (thanks to Rob Wall)

- Fixes

Media library major speed and size improvements (you may have to reset the library)

Improved fix for the stopped videos issue

Better support for mkvs with NTSC video track

Fix spaces usage in the audio/subtitles configurations

Fixed black screen with some AVC videos badly flagged at L4.1

Fixed cover art files not always read

Fixed bug with multiple playlist in one folder

CUE playlist support is pretty big for people who play music!

Launcher now detects Java 64 bits if installed*

Nice.

Handling of UTF8 and UTF16 encoding, and case insensitive external subtitles*

^I've been waiting for this.

Now to hope for a stable version.

Nice! I updated. This little program has made my PS3 the media player of the house. My only complaint is that my PS3 is on all the time now.. well almost all the time. :D

Most people probably won't agree with me but I'd really love to see the developer(s?) redo the interface, make it a lot more user-friendly. Every time I recommend this program to anyone, I always have to help them out, set up the various settings for smoother playback and maximum use of their computer. Then I have to explain in detail how they get into each section and what various settings means, which is fair enough for the more 'casual' user, a lot of the text is plain Greek.

So redo the entire interface, make it look Vista / Windows 7 native, much friendlier interface and lose all the technical terms - Perhaps leave that in a 'classic' version for those of us who understand it. It would help spread this program because pretty much any PS3 users I talk to never heard of this but when they use it ( And learn the various aspects ), they just love it - I want to see it grow more popular.

Yeah the interface is it's downfall.

It's such a geek friendly interface, heavy on the options/tweaks.

I think having an advanced mode/basic mode would be the best way to go. I enjoy being able to tweak everything, but as you said Sethos to a new person it probably seems like a cluster **** of options.

I dunno if it can become Vista/Win7 native looking as it uses Java as the front end?

Edited by Audioboxer

Yes, being able to toggle basic / advanced mode would be great but they'd still need to ease up on the terms or provide some automatic detection of hardware in case they decide to remove settings like multi-core support under basic mode. Hopefully they will start to focus on the interface or just the 'friendliness' of it.

As for the look, I got to be honest, my knowledge of coding is about minus three, so I don't know what's possible under each language but it's just an eye-sore when using it in combination with Aero but not a "deal-breaker" issue at all.