Official Macworld thread

17" Unibody MacBook Pro

Should have came out when the other MacBooks were released. Leaving the optional Matte screen to the 17" only is not very fair. Non-removable battery is a kick in the teeth. It's the high-end Pro model, it should have a removable battery.

iLife '09

iPhoto is a solid upgrade. Flickr exporting has to be the best feature IMO. iMovie '09 still isn't what people are looking for. The instrument lessons in GarageBand is a great idea. The new widgets in iWeb look nice. iDVD didnt get an upgrade, they should just bundle iDVD into iMovie.

iWork '09

Nice updates to all the apps. Keynote Remote is a great idea. iwork.com should be useful.

DRM-Free iTunes

About time. Variable pricing is a tad annoying when it comes to new releases.

Edited by osirisX

Isn't Snow Leopard all about what's under the hood? so feature-wise, it's all to do with programming and APIs rather than a shiny new look?

So comparing that to Win7, isn't that all about the new looks and also what's under the hood. That means Snow Leopard and Win7 aren't worth comparing as they are two different strategies.

Most disappointing Macworld ever. Good thing they're going to end it if that's the type of stuff they're going to announce. You don't need a show to announce that kind of stuff -- it just wastes the journalists' time that are there.

Most disappointing Macworld ever.

I agree. The 17-inch MacBook Pro update was overdue and the iLife and iWork updates were to be expected.

Unbelievable the Mac mini is still being sold at a price where you would expect the latest hardware. For crying out loud it still features a Merom chip and a chipset that predates Santa Rosa. Not to mention the other parts.

I agree. The 17-inch MacBook Pro update was overdue and the iLife and iWork updates were to be expected.

Unbelievable the Mac mini is still being sold at a price where you would expect the latest hardware. For crying out loud it still features a Merom chip and a chipset that predates Santa Rosa. Not to mention the other parts.

Perhaps at a random point this year?

Update on my iTunes library upgrade: It went exactly as planned.

If you ignore the charge on the credit card you'd never notice I had DRM versions of those albums/songs.

It preserved things like changes to the album title (removing "Deluxe Edition" from Weezer's red album),

ratings, play counts, etc. changes to album covers.

This is the smoothest feature roll-out I've seen for iTunes to date. I wonder how much of that is learning

from the failed MobileMe bit, and how much is just people seeing a huge bill for music they already own

and deciding that DRM-free just isn't worth it.

No iPhone news? With a ?320+ price tag (PAYG UK), you'd think they'd try to draw new customers in with a bit more of an incentive especially with the opportunity they HAD at Macworld.

Ah well

I think something has gone wrong an apples part. This is prob because the page was found before it should of been seen hehe

Didn't work on my media center. Then I tried another PC in the house and it loaded the correct keynote. Then I ran to the media center and it showed the wrong one. So I went back to the other pc that just worked a few seconds a go and that loaded the wrong one too.

For me iLife '09 and iWork '09 is great news and I will be buying both.

As for Mac Mini, new iMac's / Mac Pro's / iPhone Nano.. / Snow Leopard..

I'm actually really happy that none of those got announced today, actually I expected nothing less.

Now the reason why I'm happy that no new iMac was announced?

Core i7, by late Q1 or perhaps Q2 this year there will likely be new revisions that run cooler and use less power than current 1st gen i7's.

At that stage, I bet, Apple will jump in and announce iMac's utilizing the new i7 CPU's and we will be all 'oooh' and 'aaah' ;)

Apple Inc, is pulling away from the idea of announcing huge products at Macworld and making those announcements at the Apple HQ - where they have total control over their environment.

I'm sure that major new products will be announced by late Q1 or Q2, 2009.

I watched about 4 minutes of Schiller stumbling through his speech and gave up. I guess you just get spoiled by experienced public speakers like Steve Jobs - he makes it seem so natural!

@evn:

I feel the pain... Just under $80 for 361 songs.

post-113046-1231280935_thumb.png

But don't let it fool ya... I upgraded a smaller portion of my library on 11/27/08 for $23.40. Forget how many tracks that was at the time.

^

I'm not. Just enforces the idea that Apple is done with Macworld.

Next year if Macworld goes ahead, it will die and that will be the end of that.

So you're implying they wanted to ruin it?

Mission accomplished.