Official Macworld thread

You must be joking right? Or you're just a big fan of Windows? Come on, Windows 7 is not a revolution, even if it's the OS that could safe face for Microsoft (with the relative flop of Vista), yes it's better, yes it's slimmer, but it's still Windows. And other than the fact that Mac hardware is fantastic, most Mac users are in it because of OS X. And we will get Snow Leopard, what will "probably" run circle around Win7. In many ways, Apple is always one step ahead of Microsoft.

Mac hardware? You mean the off the shelf parts that can bought anywhere? You do realize that a Mac is, was and has always been a personal computer, right?

OSX isn't revolutionary either. It might have been revolutionary if Apple were the ones that made it. It amazes me that a company can take an OS that they didn't write, add some shiny bits on top of it and people will eat it up just because of the Apple logo that's on it.

Please. Snow Leopard is to Leopard what Windows 7 is to Vista. Mac hardware is the same as PC hardware but i agree the whole point of a Mac is OS X. As for Snow Leopard running rings around 7 spoken like a typical Mac troll, played any good OS X games lately?

Exactly.

Mac hardware? You mean the off the shelf parts that can bought anywhere? You do realize that a Mac is, was and has always been a personal computer, right?

OSX isn't revolutionary either. It might have been revolutionary if Apple were the ones that made it. It amazes me that a company can take an OS that they didn't write, add some shiny bits on top of it and people will eat it up just because of the Apple logo that's on it.

Exactly.

Apple uses Intel parts, but the resulting package is about as similar to a generic PC as night and day. Compare any Macbook to Dell trash.

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/First-Look/Mac...-Unibody/Page-2

And Apple didn't buy OS X. Not that it makes any kind of difference if they did. OS X is still Apple's baby and it sets the bar.

Here's the history. Enjoy, and draw your own conclusions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mac_OS_X

http://www.kernelthread.com/mac/osx/history.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Computer

I watched a bit of the stream here and there. Some of the updates are impressive. It's great to see iTunes finally go DRM-free, and I'm not surprised about the 17-inch Macbook Pro update. I think it should of came out when the other new Macbooks came out though.

So did anyone else think Phil looked a little thinner than usual?

Well, I never saw him before until today, so I'm going with no, he was pleasantly plump!

Trying to change the subject after 39 Thieves post? :laugh:

He's been in the RDF for too long :rofl:

Radish?

Trying to change the subject after 39 Thieves post? :laugh:

I've said all that needed to be said.

There's only so much that can be said around here without the whole topic degrading into a complete flamewar.

He's been in the RDF for too lon:rofl:l:

Radish?

And I like it here. It's nice and warm. And I think, that to some limited degree, it also grants wishes.

It giggles when I touch it.

Weak example. I see a typical laptop internal layout, with an aluminum shell. What's so impressive? Are you easily amazed (which is a rhetorical question, considering your obsession with trivial tech products) or have you never disassembled a laptop before?

As far as OS X goes, more specifically, it's Steve Jobs baby, which he developed after he abandoned Apple and started NeXT. Apple purchased NeXT, and ergo purchased OPENSTEP, and from that, developed Rhapsody, which was renamed to OS X. So, in essence, Apple did in fact buy OS X. And they've spent nearly the last decade refining it...and selling it, point release by point release.

Don't know why I bothered with that, since any sort of rational discourse will be quickly glazed over by the typical fanboy crap you spew. Ah well....

It may go over the typical fanboy's eyes, but not mine. And you're right. Apple computers are more or less exactly the same as any other PC manufacturer's computers. All that's different is the chassis and default operating system.

I've found that high-end Dells and most Sony notebooks are as well-built and as reliable as anything that Apple offers, including the newer unibody models.

It's great to see iTunes finally go DRM-free...

They aren't going DRM free. They will continue to have DRM tracks, they are expanding the current offerings of DRM free tracks.

They've been selling select tracks DRM free since May 2007.

They aren't going DRM free. They will continue to have DRM tracks, they are expanding the current offerings of DRM free tracks.

They've been selling select tracks DRM free since May 2007.

They seemed to say in the keynote that by April 2009, all 10+ million songs on iTunes will be DRM-free.

iWork can be downloaded as a trial, and then unlocked by purchasing the serial.

Is iLife available the same way? It doesn't seem to be . . .

Where is my Mac Mini, iMac and Snow Leopard showcase?

Seriously, it's my first Keynote I watch and care about, and it was soooo disappointing...

I hope Apple is gonna make a personal show just like they did for the Macbook and iPods really soon.

I was really hoping a lot for today :(

Specially after knowing how great the keynote about Macbook where.

Where is my Mac Mini, iMac and Snow Leopard showcase?

Seriously, it's my first Keynote I watch and care about, and it was soooo disappointing...

I hope Apple is gonna make a personal show just like they did for the Macbook and iPods really soon.

I was really hoping a lot for today :(

Specially after knowing how great the keynote about Macbook where.

Don't fret, I'm pretty sure Apple won't let the Mini and imacs go unrefreshed . . . all of a sudden.

There will be some very, very big news, this year, and likely very soon. Apple won't just suddenly run out of ideas. The whole culture at Apple is about ideas. Take the iPhone. It's only been out a short time and look at what that's accomplished, and the ipod Touch hitched a ride as well. Apple is just getting started with these devices. Their potential is insane.

Apple is in an incredibly enviable position right now - loads of cash on hand (rivaling MS' cash reserves - at one point this year they were equal), a whole line of solid products, important software updates, a lock on the smartphone/MP3 player market, virtual ownership of the music entertainment market, OS X, etc. It's never been better. Things aren't going to suddenly change for no reason. Apple right now is one of the very few players that is doing well in this economy, due in large part to the segment of the market it targets - the premium end.

Apple has ignored the low end market for a very good reason. Nobody in that market is making any money. Look at Dell's margins, then look at Apple's. Apple's share is growing, while Dell is struggling. Apple's gross margins average 33%, while Dell struggles to achieve 18%. Garbage in, garbage out. Simply put, Apple's share of the high end market is 70%. This is where computer profits are being made. It is not in volume. That's a loser's game. That's a generic box-maker's game.

The list of firms that have tried to win using price as their main differentiator - and failed, is long. Very long.

No reason to worry at this point. If you watched Schiller's keynote carefully (aside from the very telling and foreshadowing Tony Bennett bit), he all but admitted that Macworld is useless and that Apple would rather not be there (Every Apple Store is its own Macworld, etc.) He basically gave the whole event the finger. Apple was not going to waste everything by revealing everything in a non-Jobs keynote at an event it's already dumped very unceremoniously. So all we got were teasers; Apple got the software news out of the way plus threw everyone a bone with the 17-inch MBP.

No reason to worry at this point. If you watched Schiller's keynote carefully (aside from the very telling and foreshadowing Tony Bennett bit), he all but admitted that Macworld is useless and that Apple would rather not be there (Every Apple Store is its own Macworld, etc.) He basically gave the whole event the finger. Apple was not going to waste everything by revealing everything in a non-Jobs keynote at an event it's already dumped very unceremoniously. So all we got were teasers; Apple got the software news out of the way plus threw everyone a bone with the 17-inch MBP.

Well, this part is true. But I think Apple has made it clear for quite some time now that trade shows aren't all that important anymore. In 2008, all we really saw at Macworld was the MacBook Air. Everything else, whether it be the iPhone, iPod or notebooks, was unveiled at smaller, Apple-controlled events. This trend will continue in 2009, 2010 and so on and so forth. I don't think Apple was intentionally giving Macworld "the finger," it was just being honest in a way. Sure, a new Mac mini is probably coming, but it wasn't ready yet.

What do you think Apple would rather do? Introduce the all-new Mac mini at Macworld, noting that it's "Shipping this June!" Or, would they rather hold an event in June, introduce the all-new Mac mini and proudly proclaim that it's "Shipping today!" In the past, Apple has announced or shown many products at Macworld that clearly weren't ready, most notably the iPhone; it was a full six months before it was actually made available. Remember Macworld 2003, when three new notebooks were released, and yet it took two months before any were available? The real reason Apple isn't interested in Macworld anymore is because they'd much rather be able to tie events into the actual release date of the product. Notice how every iPod event since 2005 has included at least one iPod model that was available that very day, usually the iPod nano.

Well, this part is true. But I think Apple has made it clear for quite some time now that trade shows aren't all that important anymore. In 2008, all we really saw at Macworld was the MacBook Air. Everything else, whether it be the iPhone, iPod or notebooks, was unveiled at smaller, Apple-controlled events. This trend will continue in 2009, 2010 and so on and so forth. I don't think Apple was intentionally giving Macworld "the finger," it was just being honest in a way. Sure, a new Mac mini is probably coming, but it wasn't ready yet.

What do you think Apple would rather do? Introduce the all-new Mac mini at Macworld, noting that it's "Shipping this June!" Or, would they rather hold an event in June, introduce the all-new Mac mini and proudly proclaim that it's "Shipping today!" In the past, Apple has announced or shown many products at Macworld that clearly weren't ready, most notably the iPhone; it was a full six months before it was actually made available. Remember Macworld 2003, when three new notebooks were released, and yet it took two months before any were available? The real reason Apple isn't interested in Macworld anymore is because they'd much rather be able to tie events into the actual release date of the product. Notice how every iPod event since 2005 has included at least one iPod model that was available that very day, usually the iPod nano.

Well said, and I agree with the point that you have made in regards to Apple not needing to be fully involved in trade shows to launch their products. It looks much better to hold their own event, unveil a product when it's ready and be able to say "it's shipping today", instead of having to rush around.

Well, I never saw him before until today, so I'm going with no, he was pleasantly plump!

I'm sure he'd prefer the term festively plump ;)

As good as iPhoto '09 looks, I cannot justify the price tag for that one piece of software. I rarely use anything else in the iLife suite.