Michael Phelps caught with cannabis pipe

Even if that is Phelps, big deal, its not like he is shooting heroin. Pot is no worse than beer, in fact its probably to get a little stoned than drunk.

Omg tis r gateway drugz!1

He shouldn't have admitted to it, he EASILY could have had his army of lawyers swoop in and clean everything up.

But maybe he just wanted to come clean and own up to what he did, which i respect him even more(not that he shoudl have done it in the first place)

Hardly controversial, and no big deal. Who cares?

depends who you ask.

At least here in the UK, if your found to have been taking drugs, even if its for recreational use, then your gonna get banned. Matt Stevens (Bath Rugby captain) has admitted taking drugs (thought to be cocaine), and he's been banned by the Club, and no doubt will be banned by the RFU / IRB.

And after sporting chiefs announced laws which mean four-year bans for drug-taking, Phelps’ dreams of adding to his overall 14 gold medal tally at the 2012 games in London could already be OVER.

Does this mean he won't be able to compete in the next games?

Doesn't surprise me in the least he knows how to smoke pot from a bong. It seems most kids these days do it, and defend it like the plague. Heaven forbid you oppose drugs, you get nasty responses from slightly high munchy eating college freaks :(

Doesn't surprise me in the least he knows how to smoke pot from a bong. It seems most kids these days do it, and defend it like the plague. Heaven forbid you oppose drugs, you get nasty responses from slightly high munchy eating college freaks :(

Someone who understands! :D I'm not alone.

Not a good idea for someone in his position to be engaging in that kind of activity with other people around. Want to be famous and loved? These are the breaks.

It's pot, who cares?

I am sure sitting there chugging back all the mix drinks you can make are worse then that bit of pot...Although I've never did pot, I still think its safe to say drinking is worse.

we have to defend it because attitudes like that ensures money flows into the hands of criminals and puts good people in jail and at risk because they are labeled and have to deal with said criminals.

and freaks don't smoke pot, they don't have friends to offer it to them ;)

So he smokes pot -- big deal.

I couldn't agree more. Its about time we review and do away with the draconian marijuana laws. Im glad to see here in the states it getting more and more accepted into society. The lies surrounding pot are being seen for what they are and people are judging for themselves. Just needs to be regulated like alcohol, since it can be abused as such. I wouldn't be surprised if its legalized in the next 10 years or so.

It isnt a drug.

I say it isnt a drug because you accept beer as not being a drug right? Then it isnt a drug :)

If you do, then yes. It is a drug.

It isnt a drug.

I say it isnt a drug because you accept beer as not being a drug right? Then it isnt a drug :)

Beer is a drug, it has alcohol in it. Just like caffiene in coffee - the most widely used drug on earth.

Therefore, yes pot is a drug, obviously.

Phelps admitted that he smoked and that was him in the picture, instead of saying "Ah man ya I made a bad choice and I will never do it again blah blah blah." Here's the conversation I had at work today: It's Michael Phelps! He was this amazing guy who did the impossible and made America proud. Now he's caught doing this after everything he has done, and all of a sudden people's perception of him changes because he smokes? No he's still a good guy, just like millions of other people in the world smoking it. They are not bad people, or criminals (not everyone who smokes is, and if it was legal then many less would be).

The laws in regards to marijuana need to change because there are much worse things that do need more attention, then wasted time on a relatively harmless drug.

depends who you ask.

At least here in the UK, if your found to have been taking drugs, even if its for recreational use, then your gonna get banned. Matt Stevens (Bath Rugby captain) has admitted taking drugs (thought to be cocaine), and he's been banned by the Club, and no doubt will be banned by the RFU / IRB.

I remember Ricky Williams being suspended on two separate occasions for entire seasons in the American football professional league, for the use of marijuana.

Yeah, I disagree with using it, and I do not myself, but to suspend or ban athletes for its use is ridiculous.

You never read about pot heads running people over

I do, a girl in my hometown died because of that.

or coming home and beating their family.

I do, my father did that to us.

It isnt a drug.

It IS a drug. Just because you say it isnt, does not mean it is not.

The law states its a drug in most countries. If it is the law that its an illegal stubstance/drug in your country, then im affraid it IS a drug. Regardless of what smokers of the stuff say.

I do, a girl in my hometown died because of that.

I do, my father did that to us.

Carefull mate. What you actually know and see compaired to "statistics" will be used against you by all the pot heads on Neowin. I tried telling people what my experience is and of that of the people around me, but people just went on about how statistics say its not possible, so my experience is either untrue or a one off...

When i was a smoker, i stood up for the drug too though.

It IS a drug. Just because you say it isnt, does not mean it is not.

The law states its a drug in most countries. If it is the law that its an illegal stubstance/drug in your country, then im affraid it IS a drug. Regardless of what smokers of the stuff say.

Carefull mate. What you actually know and see compaired to "statistics" will be used against you by all the pot heads on Neowin. I tried telling people what my experience is and of that of the people around me, but people just went on about how statistics say its not possible, so my experience is either untrue or a one off...

When i was a smoker, i stood up for the drug too though.

It's not always the drug that causes the behavior, but the persons actual behavior can be exposed. Its not the drug that needs to be taken away or banned, its the person. They need to seek help, stay away from what may cause them to do that, and figure out how to be a functioning person in society. There are plenty of people who can smoke and not beat people or run over people, just like there are plenty of people who can drink 5 beers and not really feel a thing. EVERYTHING AFFECTS EVERYONE DIFFERENTLY , AND NOT EVERYTHING IS FOR EVERYONE! so because of that, stop saying stuff is bad. Its not always the stuff, but the person using it, that can be the actual problem. Not everyone should drive, not everyone should own a gun, not everyone should be in the Olympics. Doesn't mean we ban everyone from them, NO, you find out what you can and cant do, and then follow it!

its bad that someone beat you as a kid, but maybe they had bigger issues and maybe yes, they shouldn't have smoked. But just because it may have been bad for that 1 person, doesn't dictate crap for how it will go for me. Its about self control and awareness.

End the end, Phelps achieves more than anyone here could really say as far as showing what the human body and mind can really achieve. Smoking is too hyped as the death to society. Its nothing, this is nothing, and go smoke a fatty to anyone who thinks it should be a big deal.

Oh my god! An athlete doing drugs... Someone call the Whaaaaambulance.

So he smokes pot, big deal. Steroids on the other hand, would really be bad, but harmless weed, is not.

To those who say weed ruined their life and blah blah, "IT IS NOT" the drugs fault, but the Retard that didnt know self control. To blame every intelligent individual because of other IDIOTS is retarded.