Michael Phelps caught with cannabis pipe

I always wonder what must be lacking in peoples lives that means they must rely on drugs to be happy.

I always wonder why people assume that when others use drugs, it means they rely on them. I seriously doubt Phelps needs drugs to be happy. It's fun.

When I was in HS I knew of nobody for sure that smoked pot. I didn't (and have rarely done since). I didn't think I would ever know of many people, especially going into UW-Madison, a school that is reknowned for it's top notch academics. I'm a senior now at Madison and I now know how wrong I was. I know an inordinate amount of people who do pot casually. That's among probably the 90% of students who drink regularly. And being in Wisconsin, when we drink, it's usually far past the point that's technically considered binge drinking. You know what's funny? The vast majority of the students who partake in all that will still go on to be successful. You know why? We're smart enough to be able to split up our social time with our school time and be able to do both. We're responsible. Doing that stuff isn't necessary for us to be happy - we just have fun doing it. It's fun. We also have fun when we're not doing that stuff. I myself drink. A lot. In fact, last semester I was seriously considering that I might have a problem because of how often I went out (even though I still only drank socially). I've had two perfect semesters including the last one, and my GPA isn't far off from perfect. It's because I am responsible when I drink. Why do I drink? It's fun. Do I need to drink to have fun or be happy? Hell no.

The point here is that, while drugs may not be good for you, they don't have to be a bad thing either. If you're responsible when doing them, you can have a lot of fun without ruining your life and that's the case for the vast majority of people who do these things.

I don't pretend that I'm going to convince any of you to change your views, but I figured I'd just put my perspective out there.

-Spenser

I always wonder why people assume that when others use drugs, it means they rely on them. I seriously doubt Phelps needs drugs to be happy. It's fun.

When I was in HS I knew of nobody for sure that smoked pot. I didn't (and have rarely done since). I didn't think I would ever know of many people, especially going into UW-Madison, a school that is reknowned for it's top notch academics. I'm a senior now at Madison and I now know how wrong I was. I know an inordinate amount of people who do pot casually. That's among probably the 90% of students who drink regularly. And being in Wisconsin, when we drink, it's usually far past the point that's technically considered binge drinking. You know what's funny? The vast majority of the students who partake in all that will still go on to be successful. You know why? We're smart enough to be able to split up our social time with our school time and be able to do both. We're responsible. Doing that stuff isn't necessary for us to be happy - we just have fun doing it. It's fun. We also have fun when we're not doing that stuff. I myself drink. A lot. In fact, last semester I was seriously considering that I might have a problem because of how often I went out (even though I still only drank socially). I've had two perfect semesters including the last one, and my GPA isn't far off from perfect. It's because I am responsible when I drink. Why do I drink? It's fun. Do I need to drink to have fun or be happy? Hell no.

The point here is that, while drugs may not be good for you, they don't have to be a bad thing either. If you're responsible when doing them, you can have a lot of fun without ruining your life and that's the case for the vast majority of people who do these things.

I don't pretend that I'm going to convince any of you to change your views, but I figured I'd just put my perspective out there.

-Spenser

I can see what you mean, I guess it's just because the only friends of mine that do smoke, do it constantly (as in, whenever they are in private they are smoking), and so I've never known anyone who does it casually.

-Spenser

I understand what you are saying; I like to have a drink as well. I am raising three kids from my wifes sister and two from my brother, they were all addicted to Meth and Prescription drugs....I remember reading somewhere that more family members (a percentage of grand parents) are raising their childrens kids...mainly due to drugs.

Balance with legal products only. Responsible Illegal drug use :huh: What is a good word for that? You are not being very responsible if you are using illegal drugs. Get busted you could lose your job....yadda yadda :)

I see nothing wrong with him smoking weed. I don't believe in drugs, but he's old enough to decide. The parents will just have to be more careful who their children's rolemodels are and filter out the good from the crap.

Besides, it's not like weed makes you swim faster, what advantage does it give against other competitors in his league :p :rofl:

Who else here thinks they could totally outswim Michael Phelps when he's stoned out of his mind?

That's when you've got him right where you want him. Done.

:cool:

He's a role model for children. Doing something illegal is a big deal when you are in that position. :rolleyes:

Kids should have their parents as a role model first. Phelps didn't choose to be a role model, people just chose him to be so without his "consent"

Kids should have their parents as a role model first. Phelps didn't choose to be a role model, people just chose him to be so without his "consent"

http://www.rpspecialt.com/michaelphelpscereal.jpg

http://www.etonline.com/news/2008/08/64551/index.html

http://www.looktothestars.org/charity/1165...elps-foundation

Phelps is all about kids. There's your consent.

First two links are subjective, they're not directly targeting children ( most kids eat sugary cereals, cocoa puffs, trix, etc) the last link i can see where i might be wrong.

Chemical imbalance.

No serotonin/dopamine = no happy.

;)

You have a limited amount of dopamine. If you smoke weed to often you can use it all up and then become depressed.

Lets face it. Most teens hate their parents, because the parents try to be role models and lay down boundaries, that the teens think are not needed. They then turn to singers and other celebrities for guidance. This is not the correct kind of guidance needed, but then neither is most "gangsta rap" now days either...

First two links are subjective, they're not directly targeting children ( most kids eat sugary cereals, cocoa puffs, trix, etc) the last link i can see where i might be wrong.

Unless Phelps was BS'ing everyone with the obligatory charity-for-kids startup. A great way to gloss your image. Until it comes time to actually play the part you've chosen for yourself.

Phelps might be a fantastic swimmer, but it looks like all in all, he might be just another dumb jock.

I don't see the huge deal, I just feel like this is blown wayyyyyy out of proportion. When it's somebody else nobody cares, but when one picture surfaces of somebody famous, they plaster it as if he's a coke head.

You have a limited amount of dopamine. If you smoke weed to often you can use it all up and then become depressed.

My post doesn't only apply to "weed". The person I quoted said "rely on drugs to be happy." I was talking about any type of drug, mainly prescription drugs. The word drugs is a very diverse word these days & refuse to associate the word dope with marijuana.

I don't see the huge deal, I just feel like this is blown wayyyyyy out of proportion. When it's somebody else nobody cares, but when one picture surfaces of somebody famous, they plaster it as if he's a coke head.

Something as bias as the mainstream American news -- are you really surprised? :rolleyes:

Obama openly stated in the biography "Promise to Power" that...

"The teenage years mark a period of rebellion for males, and Obama’s racial turmoil only exacerbated those natural feelings. He was always a solid B student, but by his senior year, he was slacking off in his schoolwork in favor of basketball, beach time parties. He also, as he described it later, “dabbled in drugs and alcohol.” He would buy a six-pack of Heineken after school and polish off the bottles while shooting baskets. He also smoked marijuana and experimented with snorting cocaine but demurred from heroin when he said a drug supplier seemed far too eager to have him experience it. Later, Obama noted that white kids, Hawaiian kids and wealthy kids also turn to him for drugs to soothe whatever causes them pain."

So, either he was the middle man in drug dealing or the dealer himself. There is no difference. I can't believe people deny this after he specifically told the bibliographer this. Don't believe it? Get the book and read it....

http://www.amazon.com/Obama-Promise-Power-...2405&sr=8-1

I know Obama admitted (a long time ago, and he admitted it himself without any 3rd party involved) to smoking weed and cocaine, but I've not seen a single report of him ever saying he SOLD drugs. Even if he did, he admitted to it many years ago, admitted it was a mistake and said he learned from the mistakes and is the man he is today because of it.

I quite agree. Why should anyone care anyway? Now we know he's human like the rest of us.

What about the AIDS?

/Smokes weed

//SMOKE WEED

In all my time here, I've never seen such blatant stupidity like your post, Raid 0.

Anyone who has unprotected sex with an infected partner can get it. Science has proven this many times.

My post doesn't only apply to "weed". The person I quoted said "rely on drugs to be happy." I was talking about any type of drug, mainly prescription drugs. The word drugs is a very diverse word these days & refuse to associate the word dope with marijuana.

Touche. I was just saying literally. I was using weed as a descriptor, however yes it applies to all drugs as you say.

What is up with people being so touche lately on Neowin? Lighten up people!

I can see what you mean, I guess it's just because the only friends of mine that do smoke, do it constantly (as in, whenever they are in private they are smoking), and so I've never known anyone who does it casually.

Yeah I get that. I don't mean to say I condone Phelps or anything. He is a role model and if he was going to go party like this he should've been more careful. It's just that he's kind of an example of what I'm saying - he smoked pot, but it's not in control of his life. I daresay that he wouldn't have 8 gold medals if he were high at the time or did it often, if at all, before then :p

I just think there's a rather unfair stigma placed against something like pot in comparison to other things that are legal and that people don't seem to have problems with as much (cigarettes/alcohol). None are good, but I think people, especially at Phelps' age, can choose wisely for themselves if/when/how often they do this stuff and that it can be done in such a way that it doesn't really ruin your life (outside your health, of course).

-Spenser

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/29020254/

Phelps says he's unsure about 2012 Olympics

8-time Olympic gold medalist coping with fallout from marijuana incident

200902041551570978252-pf.widec.jpg

Michael Phelps is feeling the pressure following a photo that showed him smoking from a marijuana bong, and all the stress has him questioning whether he should participate in the 2012 Olympics.

In an exclusive interview with the Baltimore Sun Wednesday, Phelps said he "clearly made a mistake" and that he's going to have to discuss his future with his family and his coach, Bob Bowman.

"Yeah, there are still goals that I have in the pool, 100 percent. But I'm not going to let anything stand in my way. If I decide to walk away, I'll decide to walk away on my own terms. If it's now, if it's four years, who knows. But it is something I need to think about and decide what I want to do," Phelps told the newspaper.

Dude is overreacting a little bit...

Later, Obama noted that white kids, Hawaiian kids and wealthy kids also turn to him for drugs to soothe whatever causes them pain."

You changed what he actually put. He actually said:

Obama noted that white kids, Hawaiian kids and wealthy kids also turn to him for drugs to soothe whatever causes them pain.

Here are some sources you can actually read as opposed to say "go by the book":

http://www.ontheissues.org/2008/Barack_Obama_Drugs.htm

http://sexdrugsmoney.wordpress.com/2009/01/27/just-say-no/

Can someone please ban KreepLX360 please. He talks out of his backside in pretty much every thread he makes or comments in.

I can't believe people deny this after he specifically told the bibliographer this. Don't believe it? Get the book and read it....

http://www.amazon.com/Obama-Promise-Power-...2405&sr=8-1

I cant believe you are think we cannot do a simple google search to check for ourselves weather you are lying to make yourself look better or not.

Dude is overreacting a little bit...

The whole world is overreacting for what appears to be a dude having fun in his personal life. I'm not pro marijuana/drugs, but it's just weed, he's not doing speedball or cheating his way of getting performance with roids. He has a personal life next to his professional life.

Eight arrested in Michael Phelps case

New details have emerged about a party where Olympic champion Michael Phelps was spotted.

On Feb. 2, a British tabloid published a picture of the 14-time Olympic gold medalist using a water pipe to smoke marijuana. The picture was taken at a party in Columbia back in November when Phelps was here for a visit.

The Richland County Sheriff's Department has been taking a lot of heat from people in this country and all over the world.

They want to know why Sheriff Leon Lott is going after Michael Phelps.

Many are saying the sheriff should concentrate on more serious crimes, or at the very least, not focus solely on the Olympic champion when there were others at the party who were also breaking the law.

Now it appears the case has expanded beyond Phelps' activities.

The party took place in November at a house on Blossom Street near Five Points.

It was at that house where someone snapped the photo of Phelps taking a hit on a marijuana pipe called a bong.

Lott says the picture indicated a law was being broken in his jurisdiction. He said he couldn't ignore the violation just because Phelps is rich and famous.

We've now learned that since investigators began trying to build a case, they've made eight arrests: seven for drug possession and one for distribution. These are arrests that resulted as the sheriff's department served search warrants.

We've also learned that the department has located and confiscated that bong.

Sources say the owner of the bong was trying to sell it on eBay for as much as $100,000.

The owner, who wasn't even at the party, is one of the eight now charged.

Phelps is not one of those charged at this point, but the sheriff's department has strong evidence that matches the photo to the house on Blossom Street.

That house is in the city, but the Columbia Police Department decided not to initiate or take an active role in the investigation.

Governor Mark Sanford is also weighing in on the sheriff's actions.

On the FOX News Channel Sunday night, Geraldo Rivera asked Sanford whether Phelps should be prosecuted.

"I don't see what it gets at this point," said Sanford.

His spokesman told us Monday night Sanford is letting that quote stand.

Source