• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Things in Win XP but not in Windows 2003 Server

Xeron    14

Here are some things that are supported in Windows XP but not in Windows 2003 Server. If you've read the thread and still want to configure Windows 2003 server as a workstation, I suggest you read the Windows Server 2003 as a Workstation Guide

Feel free to add to the list.

System Restore

Fast User Switching

The Welcome Screen

Support for MS Bluetooth Keyboard + Mouse

MS Intellitype

MS Intellipoint

Universal Plug & Play

Edited by Xeron

RadishTM    312

Keep them coming guys :yes:, will help to keep down the threads for newer members (Y) ....

Thread Sticked

Radish.

RadishTM    312

Also post 'workarounds' for things that are available in XP but not Windows 2003 Server, all other posts will be deleted - this thread is not for discussion = post a thread in this section of the forum reguarding your specific problem ....

Radish.

digital_cntax    0
Here are some things that are supported in Windows XP but not in Windows 2003 Server. If you've read the thread and still want to configure Windows 2003 server as a workstation, I suggest you read the Windows Server 2003 as a Workstation Guide

System Restore

Fast User Switching

The Welcome Screen

MS Intellitype

MS Intellipoint

You sure the Microsoft Bluetooth set doesn't work with win2k3?? Is it just an issue with drivers or what's the deal?

owensd    0
Here are some things that are supported in Windows XP but not in Windows 2003 Server.  If you've read the thread and still want to configure Windows 2003 server as a workstation, I suggest you read the Windows Server 2003 as a Workstation Guide

System Restore

Fast User Switching

The Welcome Screen

MS Intellitype

MS Intellipoint

You sure the Microsoft Bluetooth set doesn't work with win2k3?? Is it just an issue with drivers or what's the deal?

That is correct. The Intellipoint software that is required to install the bluetooth mouse/keyboard cannot be installed in Windows Server 2003. I was hoping that this was just a limitation in the Beta and RC of Win Server, but unfortunately, it is not.

I've also tried emailing the support people and they confirmed that they are not supported at this time. :angry:

drshdw    0

plug and play works, atleast for me

JiGGax717    0

Yeah, if anyone can help with getting intellipoint/intellimouse drivers to work, it'd be much appreciated. I too have heard stories that people have got them to work, and other could not.

death_ang    0

Logitech Itouch doesn't work :( i'm using cordless optical freedom keyboard :(

Sierra    0

2003 doesn't have sp1 ;)

Glowstick    3
That is correct. The Intellipoint software that is required to install the bluetooth mouse/keyboard cannot be installed in Windows Server 2003. I was hoping that this was just a limitation in the Beta and RC of Win Server, but unfortunately, it is not.

It actually can by theory. The installer is preventing it.

Joel    26
2003 doesn't have sp1 ;)

Sorry, but this makes no sense. All of the stable fixes are already incorporated into 2003. There will be a SP1, just you wait.

Sierra    0
Sorry, but this makes no sense. All of the stable fixes are already incorporated into 2003. There will be a SP1, just you wait.

my post was kind of dumb anyway :blush:

JiGGax717    0

So I tried editing the MSI file through InstallShield Developer... I changed the launch conditions and other conditions... And I got the installer to get to the copy files dialog. But when I get there I hit a wall right away with an internal error. (see attached pic) I only use InstallShield Developer for simple installs and I do not know how to sidestep this landmine. Any suggestions? The error code itself doesn't help me in finding what's wrong...

post-77-1051300538.jpg

Twink    0
Logitech Itouch doesn't work :( i'm using cordless optical freedom keyboard :(

actually that's just because it checks the os before you can install, if you enabled XP compatiblity mode on the installer it will install and work. However the 'first use' screens don't seem to go away

budwizer    0
plug and play works, atleast for me

Plug and Play works, UPnP is not supported in Windows Server 2003. They are two different technologies.

Slacker    6

I read the guide and have looked through X-Setup; maybe I'm stupid, but there are a few settins that I can't find, is there another way to change these?

1. thumbnail size and quality for images and video in folders

2. folder locations of "My Music/Pictures/Movies"

I did manage to find the locations of Desktop/Startmenu and Documents

Is there a way to get rid of the required Ctrl - Alt - Del to login without enabling auto-login? I know it's superficial, but a bit annoying for me.

Personally I'm finding 2003 to be a better workstation than XP, it seems quicker to me. This may be because XP keeps giving me registry errors all the time (that's right, I zero the data on the drive, install XP and recieve a BSOD in the morning because "The Registry core is missing or inaccessable").

The only other thing that I have found to be missing is WIA support, no problem though, TWAIN is OK, just out of date I think.

Oh ya, MS Movie Maker 2 won't install, but that's no big deal... no really it isn't...

John    7
Is there a way to get rid of the required Ctrl - Alt - Del to login without enabling auto-login?

change the "DisableCAD" dword in "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon" to 1.

edit: what stop error do you receive on the BSOD? ie. "Stop 0x0000007B" or something

Slacker    6

the error flashes off so fast it's hard to read, but it goes something like this "The Registry Hive File is missing or inaccessable" then the computer restarts and then the computer works just fine till it sits off for 6 hours again.

SP1 really makes this error apparent, with SP1 installed I get an error about a damaged error and that it could not be repaired, then the OS has really really usability problems, applications appear to be unloaded from registry, file associations gone etc.

I've replaced all components in the computer except for the processor and motherboard, I'm suspecting that I may need to save up for a new Motherboard

Slacker    6

Oh ya, DisableCAD is set to 1, I set it earlier, but It had no effect... I may just live with it

dpanda    0

system restore is quite useful....too bad window 2003 server doesn't have it...well..as for the fast user switching...if only you use it then its quite useless...

hobsgrg    52

Everyone is forgetting the most loved feature in Windows is missing in Windows 2003 Server, Solitaire and Freecell!!!!!!

NeoMayhem    0
the error flashes off so fast it's hard to read, but it goes something like this "The Registry Hive File is missing or inaccessable" then the computer restarts and then the computer works just fine till it sits off for 6 hours again.

SP1 really makes this error apparent, with SP1 installed I get an error about a damaged error and that it could not be repaired, then the OS has really really usability problems, applications appear to be unloaded from registry, file associations gone etc.

I've replaced all components in the computer except for the processor and motherboard, I'm suspecting that I may need to save up for a new Motherboard

Disable auto reboot on system failular ;)

Slacker    6

I'd have to wipe the drive again to re-produce the error... why does error "Stop 0x0000007B" mean?

John    7
I'd have to wipe the drive again to re-produce the error... why does error "Stop 0x0000007B" mean?

it's a stop code. u can look up the code it gives you and find out more details of why it crashed.