Things in Win XP but not in Windows 2003 Server

nOOB, here, Hi all, love the arguments and what not in this thread. Here are some interesting things that I found out after switching to Windows Server 2003 Workstation:

1: Intellimouse software is available, Version 5 is downloadable from Microsofts web site

2: Who cares about Messenger it's a waste of space, IMO.

3: Ctrl-Alt-Del is a great way to keep little hands from stuffing up your system

4: Fast user switch: Who cares, there is only one user on this system and it's me!

5: Intellitype software is unneeded, My MS Keyboard is fully functional without it.

6: 3DMark 2001 SE scores remained the same between XP and 2k3.

7: Never played Solitare or Freecell so ain't worried about them, but Tron2, Half-Life, etc work a dream, higher FPS too.

8: Give companies time to get their drivers set up for 2k3, as it is still a relatively new OS

9: It is a server OS and wasn't really designed to be used as a workstation, and if it is only people who are either daring or know a bit about computers should try it.

10: Relax and enjoy the ride it's a good OS.

Cheers,

Bonez

• 2 months later...

Guys, please help!

I tries TweakNT, NTSwtich, and Style XP on my win2k3-se.. I got the XP bitmaps everywhere and the XP-style logon and MU-switiching. BUT!! I can't login because windows says: "can't acquire license for this product" or something. It only boots to Safe Mode (w/o networking).

What have I done wrong? Please help me out.

you used it on the corp version(warez) this dosnt work becouse theres some licence and acctovation issues with 2k3 corp

it will work fine with retail AND trial but NOT corp

u gotta go into safe mode and revert back to server to beable to use uf system agin :)

Thanx for your answer Prophet!

A couple of questions.. How can I tell if its a corp version? It doesn't say so anywhere. BTW, this copy I got from a friend who works for Microsoft.. So it ain't warez (if I understand, this term means pirated).

Anyway, what do I do if it IS a corp version.. anyway to enable Fast User Switching?

if corp not really theres a way to fix it but u will have to spend hours google'ing it (i ran across it accdently)

duno how u gonna tell if its corp

for one thing can u access the windows update site ?

• 2 months later...

i have ran across a really strange problem..

i have bought a new comp and build and so on, but when i tried to install xp it just rebooted itself

the same happened with w98 w98se wme.. the strange thing was that it could install without problem with 2003 server

does anyone know what the differences are between xp and 2003 when it comes to memmanagment and graphics

• 1 month later...

I have installed on my Laptop and the Windows cannot detect my irDA, but on Windows XP, it be detectable :blink:

I think the Windows 2003 doesn't have support for Infrared :whistle:

But who can use irDA on Windows 2003, please tell me... :unsure:

• 2 weeks later...
if corp not really theres a way to fix it but u will have to spend hours google'ing it (i ran across it accdently)

duno how u gonna tell if its corp

for one thing can u access the windows update site ?

heya.

could you post the link you accidently found? i would really like to have the cute fast user switching and xp-like logon screen while i work at console and in the same time to be able to work from a remote place on a virtual session without disturbing my girlfriend working on console.

also yes i am able to access windows update

i think i have the corp version - after ntswitch i get the same error mentioned somewhere here , the one that complains about the licence (something like "there was a problem checking license on this computer")

thank you

man i can rember this post from ages ago but any way why would you wnat the welcome screen i hate it i switch my xp home to have almost all the login features taht 2003 but if people want 2003 keep it how it is for the last time"IT IS A SERVER OS" but yet again it can be used a a workstation but leave it how it is

there is no reason its a waste of money unless you wnat better system maagment and all those other things other wise save your 1000 bucks

I made Longhorn Slate theme for w2k3 if anyone is interested, there was couple of those in themexp but those had so many errors I desided to make this.

Screenshot

1.jpg

Download

Slate

Fast user switching - that gets disabled on XP when you join a domain, so why it would work on a server I have no idea!!!

I agree, 2003 is not meant to be used as a workstation, but hey, you paid for it, you use it how you want :p

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys, well i have been using Server 2003 "180 Day Free Trial" for about a week now and I must say that i find it 100% better than XP, take Defragging for instance, you used to have to do that every day but server 2003 seems to do it dynamically. Sure there are a few problems with compatibilty atm but that will get fixed sooner or later. So I think that my final verdict for this OS is " :woot: (Y) Well done Billy boy, this is the best OS yet (Y) :woot:"

i know there is a uxtheme patch

but can u run the visual styles on 2003 that have been made for xp ?

coz i saw the post by Joni_78 and he said that he made a Slate theme for win2003...

I still seem to have a problem trying to get my display drivers to work properly. Someone mentioned "Make sure that all of the DirectX features are set to Enabled." I can not set my features to enabled they are greyed out 2k3 has DX 8.1 and thats it. I have an ATI Radeon 9200 and half my things don't want to work with the catalist driver and W2k3. W2k3 is just not as compatible with most products - even tough it is fast - the reason is # of processes that can be run and that haf the stuff is left out...drivers, restore point...etc.

As someone said it is not a workstation and is not intended to be one.

Any thoughts!!!

Ok finally found the prob.

Right click on the desktop, go to display properties and click on advanced.

Click on the troubleshooting tab and move the hard ware acceleration to full.

disabled by default on w2k3

• 2 months later...

nOOb!!! complaining about stuff that is EASLY fixed if you can READ the guide :/

the convarsion takes no time at all if you read how or use the optomizer tool from salsa

• 2 weeks later...
As someone said it is not a workstation and is not intended to be one.

That is :no: i never had such a stable workstation (on wich i load EVERYTHING as i did in Windows XP) and still that fast, my 2k3 runs like a newly wed! :/ or something like that :rofl: