• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Things in Win XP but not in Windows 2003 Server

Slacker    6

good idea... I should have done that

devilotX    9

For the drivers for microsft bluetooth and logetich wireless desktop use NTSwitch to turn it into XP, install the drivers and then switch back to server

bid1    0

The NTswitch thing DOES NOT WORK with the Microsoft Bluetooth keyboard and mouse. I tried that.

alien2xx    0

QUOTE (Slacker @ Apr 28 2003, 23:41)

Is there a way to get rid of the required Ctrl - Alt - Del to login without enabling auto-login?

Start/Run

type 'control userpasswords2'

OK

go to the advanced tab.

ALso, you can make apear the 'user accounts' on 2003's control panel windows (classic view), just copy the following text to a text file and reneame it as '.reg', double click on it and that'is it.

-----------------------------------------------------------starts here

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{98641F47-8C25-4936-BEE4-C2CE1298969D}]

@="User Accounts"

"InfoTip"="Starts The Windows 2000 style User Accounts dialog"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{98641F47-8C25-4936-BEE4-C2CE1298969D}\DefaultIcon]

@="%SystemRoot%\System32\netplwiz.dll,0"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{98641F47-8C25-4936-BEE4-C2CE1298969D}\Shell]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{98641F47-8C25-4936-BEE4-C2CE1298969D}\Shell\Open]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{98641F47-8C25-4936-BEE4-C2CE1298969D}\Shell\Open\command]

@="Control Userpasswords2"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\ControlPanel\NameSpace\{98641F47-8C25-4936-BEE4-C2CE1298969D}]

@="Add Userpasswords to Control Panel"

-----------------------------------------------------------ends here

alien2xx

:D

(btw, this info (reg file) was written by another person, it's not mine, so I am not taking credit for it.... but it works nicelly.)

post-77-1051798572.jpg

Slacker    6

OK, I managed to get the "User Accounts" control panel open, however on the advanced page the option for Secure Logon is disabled. I'm not sure what I did to screw that up. I tried making a new user and playing around with the options in the panel, but the option keeps greyed out. What have I done wrong?

alien2xx    0

OK, I found the answer to your question, you need to do the following (and you are right that option is not available by default.

Go to Start/run

type gpedit.msc

browse all the way to:

computer configuration/windows settings/security settings/local polices/security option

on the right side just look for "Interactive logon:Do not require CTL+ALT+DEL"

double click on it and 'Enable" it, this is desable by default.

now when you go to 'User accounts' en control panel and click on the 'user' tab, make sure you have the option "Users must enter a user name and password...." checked.

now, if you go to the 'advanced' tab you will see the option "CtL+Alt+Del' not checked, reboot ot logof and you will se you are not requiered for CTL+ALT+DEL again.

Sorry took this long I had to look for it in there... :-)

post-77-1051883631.jpg

alien2xx    0

Sorry, here are 2 more picks on that...

:-)

post-77-1051883715.jpg

hobsgrg    52

ALso, you can make apear the 'user accounts' on 2003's control panel windows (classic view), just copy the following text to a text file and reneame it as '.reg', double click on it and that'is it.

@="User Accounts"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{98641F47-8C25-4936-BEE4-C2CE1298969D}\Shell\Open\command]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\ControlPanel\NameSpace\{98641F47-8C25-4936-BEE4-C2CE1298969D}]

alien2xx

(btw, this info (reg file) was written by another person, it's not mine, so I am not taking credit for it.... but it works nicelly.)

nice post it annoyed me that user accounts didn't appear by default in control panel but using that makes it appear, nice one :)

OPaul    0

Why didn't they implement System Restore in 2003? Do they have some alternative?

hobsgrg    52
Why didn't they implement System Restore in 2003? Do they have some alternative?

Because it was designed primarily for home users make silly mistakes etc, big corporations and universities will typically use tools like norton ghost if something goes wrong.

John    7

because a server isn't toyed with by people. it is configured and then left alone. there IS volume shadow copying, but that is for documents, not system files.

talib    1
The only other thing that I have found to be missing is WIA support, no problem though, TWAIN is OK, just out of date I think.

Actually, as far as i can see WIA support is available but disabled by default. You can enable it by starting the WIA service in Services.

PF Prophet    0

i have a querk to report using the latest sound blaster live drivers (or defult 2k3 to) the pc speeker boops insted of the speekers hooked to the sound card when trying to ajust the volume

and thanks for the dissable ctrl+alt+del thing ITS GRATE

love 2k3 as a workstation :D that should be added to the workstation guide :D

session    0

Thread title edited! No use??? :blink:

:pinch: Windows Server 2003! Not Windows 2003 Server (but Windows 2000 Server)

McoreD    18
Here are some things that are supported in Windows XP but not in Windows 2003 Server.? If you've read the thread and still want to configure Windows 2003 server as a workstation, I suggest you read the Windows Server 2003 as a Workstation Guide

Feel free to add to the list.

System Restore

Fast User Switching

The Welcome Screen

Support for MS Bluetooth Keyboard + Mouse

MS Intellitype

MS Intellipoint

Universal Plug & Play

Actually bothWelcome Screen> andFast User Switching> are still there "hidden" in Windows Server 2003. I got them unlocked by an easy way.

You need Windows Server 2003 "converted" to Windows XP Professional 2003 by ntswitch

Insall StyleXP and don't worry about it saying: Cannot enable under this build

Go to Logons and simply turn on Welcome Screen and Fast User Switching.

You are done!:))

Please Note: This is useful to you only if you are intended to use Windows Server 2003 as a workstation!>

Edited by ~*McoreD*~

PF Prophet    0

system restore = laim i used it 1 time the whole time i used xp and it didnt fix the problem the hotfix caused (vid drivers wouldnt iniatee thanks to ghay hot fix)

i been using 2k3 as workstation web server is faster then enterprise (had it on desideed to try enterprise insted) enterprise works fine love the uxtheme thing it rox :D

PF Prophet    0

do have a quick question a buddy asked me is there a way to make plus xp install on 2k3?

McoreD    18

i installed plus! DME in windows xp version 2003. the autorun says it cannot install on this operation system but if you try the msi file, then you can!

PF Prophet    0

tryed it didnt work for me :/

darkj2k    0

Is there a way to get rid of the required Ctrl - Alt - Del to login without enabling auto-login?

Start/Run

type 'control userpasswords2'

OK

go to the advanced tab.

@="User Accounts"

alien2xx

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{98641F47-8C25-4936-BEE4-C2CE1298969D}\DefaultIcon]@="%SystemRoot%\System32\netplwiz.dll,0"

Thanks for great tips for user account in Control Panel. I did copy & paste the Reg from this post and merge it into the Reg file. But The "User Accounts" icon show on my Control Panel folder is a plain folder icon not same as your capture. How can I fix that? TIA.

Colin MacLaren    0

The Widcomm Bluetooth software doesn't work. After two days of searching the web and modding drivers, I finally give up :wacko:

PHROZTEDcoolerguy    0

did everyone forget the userpic? :) I miss that because at my office, i can put mini nude pics and i can report them to my manager and they'll get in trouble.

btw: anyone know how to activate it?

Edited by PHROZTEDcoolerguy

Virus    0

Does anyone know why I can't install the same programs like Norton Anti-Virus in XP?

Someone said that you can change server to a real operating system so that it can accept anything

please help me is there anything I can do?

PF Prophet    0

dont try and install norton av pro in 2003 its not ment to run on server based os's and servers are a real os

get f-prot for windows it will run on any version of windows and works grate also uses alot less resorces :)

www.f-prot.com :)

and dont try and ntswich or tweaknt your system into a pro version if you dont know about windows(you clearly dont) becouse you will just endup with a giant cluster fuk :)

f-prot is free to try if ya like it plz buy a copy its well worth the little they want and with full you get auto updates unlike trial where you gotta manuly update

quick thing on how to use manual update really easy download the viral sigs off the front page of f-prot then open the scaner go to update use the network unpate mode and dirrect it to the folder you downloaded the sigs to it will auto update you :) if that dosnt work you can just exit f-stop(realtime protection) and extract the sigs into the f-prot dir then restart f-stop

its quite easy if you cant do it maby ya souldnt be playing with higher level os like server

:) not attacking you just saying if ya dont have some knolage of the workig of the os maby ya should stick with one that will do the work for you

fyi i use it as a workstation but i never tryed to make norton work becouse i dont have norton ce and besides f-prots alot better for this kinda thing

John    7
and dont try and ntswich or tweaknt your system into a pro version if you dont know about windows(you clearly dont) becouse you will just endup with a giant cluster fuk :)

afaik, that's not true. only the corporate versions work like that. normal versions/evaluations should switch. but i haven't done it, just read what people said.