Windows 7 Build 7057 x64

I have no idea if this was posted already, but when playing a song in wmp with it minimized, hovering your mouse over the icon shows the album art upside down if its in the minimal mode.

haha. that's funny. happens to me, too.

the weather gadget has that black bar under it for me as well.

Feels like the buggiest build so far for me

Upgraded over 7048 (to which I upgraded from 7000), got desktop.ini popping up problem on startup (easily fixed), live messenger couldn't sign in (easily fixed) and bunch of problems with no solutions so far:

- Start menu missing all my pinned programs - if I however try to pin something that should already be there, it gets (2) added behind it so the link obviously are somewhere

- Can't add Media Player Classic Home Cinema (tried both x64 & x86 builds of the program) to "known programs", for example .mkv's are supposed to be opened with it by default, but it just pops up the dialog to select a program to open it with now. There's no MPCHC on the list and browsing for the exe doesn't bring it up in the programs either, it's like it wouldn't exist at all. (just running the MPCHC and opening files from it's own menus work fine, so the program works)

Any suggestions on fixes for these 2 problems that I couldn't solve would be appreciated, I'm kinda worried what other problems there might be since I've only used this build for around 10 mins

Upgraded over 7048 (to which I upgraded from 7000), got desktop.ini popping up problem on startup (easily fixed), live messenger couldn't sign in (easily fixed) and bunch of problems with no solutions so far:

- Start menu missing all my pinned programs - if I however try to pin something that should already be there, it gets (2) added behind it so the link obviously are somewhere

- Can't add Media Player Classic Home Cinema (tried both x64 & x86 builds of the program) to "known programs", for example .mkv's are supposed to be opened with it by default, but it just pops up the dialog to select a program to open it with now. There's no MPCHC on the list and browsing for the exe doesn't bring it up in the programs either, it's like it wouldn't exist at all. (just running the MPCHC and opening files from it's own menus work fine, so the program works)

Any suggestions on fixes for these 2 problems that I couldn't solve would be appreciated, I'm kinda worried what other problems there might be since I've only used this build for around 10 mins

Well I am willing to bet that MS was not expecting 7057 would get leaked, so these bugs just happened to be broken when they were working on something else. The start menu pinning problem was there in 7048, so not sure when they are going to fix it. At this point, there is no fix except to wait for the official RC release in a couple weeks.

Wow, how incredibly exciting! A few more new icons and wallpapers! Wow!

You can get tons of those anywhere on the net, any time, for any OS, for free - so what?

And a UAC "fix"? What windoze user actually cares about that? The vast majority will just totally disable UAC immediately anyway.

When "Vista II" (read: "Windows Me II" ) actually gets some decent driver support, plus an installation routine that doesn't totally trash the bootloaders of every other OS that you might already have installed on your machine, then it might be worth looking at...maybe.

Watching you Windoze fanboys chase every "wallpaper update" is simply hilarious. You're all so chronically deprived that ANY tiny little freebie they throw in there just sends you all into ecstasy. It's just so entertaining!

At least you're getting lots of practice reinstalling your OS repeatedly - and that IS something every windoze user really needs to know how to do, lol.

Welcome to Neowin and go screw yourself. Seriously. If you hate Windows so much, why bother wasting your time writing about it, let alone sign up to a forum where the majority appreciate Windows.

Just 'cuz I like to? Or because you're all so darned hilarious?

Just consider it a "public service announcement".

Now just go back to waiting for your next "Windows 7 Grand Wallpaper/Icon Update", like a good little MS drone, lol...

Do not feed the trolls. Let the trolls go bury themselves, alone. Or for the mod-hammer to come down sweetly on them.

Still waiting for my 7057 to be done. Sigh... it's a long wait. Still interested and waiting for more people's reviews of it!

Did they bring any kind of live to that networking icon in system tray (upload/download indication)?

it is dull boring not active in B7000

Did they bring any kind of live to that networking icon in system tray (upload/download indication)?

it is dull boring not active in B7000

Still the same.

icon.png

That's unfortunate. I would think maybe a small circle overlay on top of both the wired and wireless icon would be good, that flashes green or red or something if someone is downloading or uploading something would be good.

I expect it's a bug with the transfer of settings, but:

1. Re-pin everything

2. Go to C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\StartMenu

3. Remove all the shortcuts without (2), i.e. the old ones

4. Rename the (2) shortcuts to whatever you want (I assume without the (2))

Start menu should now have the pinned items with the proper names.

Upgraded over 7048 (to which I upgraded from 7000), got desktop.ini popping up problem on startup (easily fixed)...

Either im totally dumb or just missing it, but how do you stop it from popping up? I deleted the two hidden desktop.ini files to no avail :(

EDIT: Yup, Im totally dumb. Fixed :p

Edited by bilston

I like this a lot...

WMP12 performance in 7057 is stellar, from being not loaded to "play all music shuffled" from the superbar icon jumplist, it takes 1.5 second, I never used anything remotely as fast.

Mind you, I have a gigantic music collection.

I expect it's a bug with the transfer of settings, but:

1. Re-pin everything

2. Go to C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\StartMenu

3. Remove all the shortcuts without (2), i.e. the old ones

4. Rename the (2) shortcuts to whatever you want (I assume without the (2))

Start menu should now have the pinned items with the proper names.

It's starting to act really strange, I got now all the links I want there, but they still occasionally just disappear, if I take off or put back on the hidden status off the User Pinned folder they re-appear :s

That's solved more or less now anyway, now only thing left is the fact that the OS refuses to recognize that MPCHC exists no matter how many time I try to browse to it's .exe

haha...5 minute photoshop/paint job and theres what ya get...nice try nways :)

Good guess but its called Lightscribe, a blank Lightscribe DVD, an empty DVD case and a cheap computer. No trickery there.

My Aero score dropped from 7.9 to 5.9, while my Gaming Graphics score stayed at 6.1. Wtf XD

Did it ever occur to you that you made it buggy yourself by upgrading 7057 over 7048 over 7000 (which Microsoft strongly recommends against)?

can anybody pm me a fast link to download the x64 build? ive tried for 2 days and the speeds are absolutely horrid, im not waiting 7 hours+ just to download this. i even updated my trackers with no success and i know it's not my net connection either.

My Aero score dropped from 7.9 to 5.9, while my Gaming Graphics score stayed at 6.1. Wtf XD

7.9, wow. yes, mine dropped too on two machines (since 7048). In both cases it is due to a drop in primary hard disk, which doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Maybe a rescaling due to the new solid state hdds with much better performance.

Edited by starless.bible.black

Is it worth running the 64 bit with only 2 gb ram? I have a laptop with a Core 2 Duo processor and only 2 gb with plenty of HD space for either of them.

Thanks

can anybody pm me a fast link to download the x64 build? ive tried for 2 days and the speeds are absolutely horrid, im not waiting 7 hours+ just to download this. i even updated my trackers with no success and i know it's not my net connection either.

bite the bullet and spend just a few bucks and get it from rapidshare or news server if you are desperate.

Is it worth running the 64 bit with only 2 gb ram? I have a laptop with a Core 2 Duo processor and only 2 gb with plenty of HD space for either of them.

Thanks

the only reason for me to use 64 bit is because of >4Gb ram. Drivers are more difficult to obtain for 64bit than for 32, but after Vista this is certainly not as dramatic as it was for Win2k 64bit. If you think you are going to upgrade your RAM anytime soon, I'd say go ahead. it won't hurt in any case (unless you are looking for some strange hardware driver that is not available for 64bit).