Windows 7 Build 7057 x64

Running it for the last day and it seems pretty good overall. My AIO printer wont work though, falls over at each point i try to print. Also i find it strange i cant pin windows updates to the start menu.

The WinSAT/WEI stuff is useless, I really can't comprehend why people even bother running it anymore. Case in point:

I have two 80GB Velociraptors in RAID 0 and I get the performance you can see in the attached image. Windows 7 x64 7057 (and the other builds too, actually, x86 and x64 both) basically put on the brakes and tell me the hard drive score is 5.9 which is absolutely absurd. These are the fastest hard drives you can buy aside from 15K rpm SCSI or Fiber Channel hardware, and even though they're not SSDs, they are - when tied together - most certainly well above that 5.9 rating.

So again, as it always has been, the WinSAT/WEI is useless as a performance comparison - it was never meant to be a benchmarking tool anyway, but a way for an owner to have a simplified method of knowing if a given piece of entertainment software would run "adequately" on a given machine based on that score.

5.9... yeah, right... under Vista maybe since it can't go higher... but Windows 7... I don't see why they come up with these stupid arbitrary ratings anyway. 1 to 5.9? What is this, an OS or a figure skating competition? And 1 to 7.9? Use something everyone on the planet understands: 1 to 10, period, done, kaput, finito, end of story.

Bleh.

post-12693-1237051741_thumb.png

After using build 7057 x86 (clean install) for a few days now, I must say I am very impressed. Microsoft is SO close to having a product ready for RC. I have completed testing on my previously reported bugs on Connect and my results indicate they are either fixed in this build or have been adequately addressed. Overall, a nice user experience.

I have also installed build 7057 x64 version and my findings are basically the same. Performance is a little better over the x86 flavor and it makes better use of my 4GB RAM. I still have 64bit driver issues with the Intel chipset. I hope MS and Intel get that straightened out soon.

The addition of new icons, wallpapers, features, etc. are very nice but I prefer stability, performance and reliability most of all in evaluating and testing a beta product. This build comes very close to meeting my expectations. However (I like to use that word :) ), there remains a number of bugs in this build. I have seen many users post their bugs on the various forums on the internet, some are true errors in the code, but many are simply unique to their configuration or driver set. I m still experiencing some quirky network behavior which occurred in build 7048. It's probably related to the driver for my NIC card.

If I had to give a grade for build 7057, I would give the Windows Development Team a B+ at this point. :) Keep up the great work you folks are doing!

I still have 64bit driver issues with the Intel chipset. I hope MS and Intel get that straightened out soon.

Not sure which drivers you're speaking of, but Intel released "new" Storage Matrix drivers yesterday, March 13th so, they're worth checking out. Slightly faster response times on my Velociraptors, and a few more megs per second on sustained reads and writes that I've noted since installing them.

Not sure which drivers you're speaking of, but Intel released "new" Storage Matrix drivers yesterday, March 13th so, they're worth checking out. Slightly faster response times on my Velociraptors, and a few more megs per second on sustained reads and writes that I've noted since installing them.

Thanks for the heads up! I will check it out. ;)

Either im totally dumb or just missing it, but how do you stop it from popping up? I deleted the two hidden desktop.ini files to no avail :(

EDIT: Yup, Im totally dumb. Fixed :p

Here's How:

1) Click the Start Orb>>Type folder options and hit enter.

2) Once Folder Options pops up, click the View Tab

3) Check the box that reads, "Show hidden files, folders and drives" and un-check the box "Hide protected operating system files" so that you can see the hidden desktop.ini files.

4) Click Apply then OK.

5) Click the Start Orb>>Type shell:startup and press Enter. The start menu startup folder will open, where you will find a desktop.ini file. Delete it.

6) Again, Click the Start Orb>>Type shell:common startup and press Enter. The "all users" start menu startup folder will open, where you will find a desktop.ini file. Delete it too.

7) Done. Reboot and the desktop.ini will not appear again.

In case someone else needs it.

Running it for the last day and it seems pretty good overall. My AIO printer wont work though, falls over at each point i try to print. Also i find it strange i cant pin windows updates to the start menu.

Locate Windows Update under All Programs and then drag it to the Start logo, let go and it will be pinned!

can anybody pm me a fast link to download the x64 build? ive tried for 2 days and the speeds are absolutely horrid, im not waiting 7 hours+ just to download this. i even updated my trackers with no success and i know it's not my net connection either.
im not paying for a torrent. ;)

You're just going to have to wait. There is no magical link out there that is going to give you 2MB/sec downloads.

Has anyone else noticed a (seemingly) random 3 second delay in starting applications? 7048 didn't have this.

7.9, wow. yes, mine dropped too on two machines (since 7048). In both cases it is due to a drop in primary hard disk, which doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Maybe a rescaling due to the new solid state hdds with much better performance.

my WEI dropped from 6.0 to 5.9. my hard drive and aero exeperience are now at 5.9 both. i'm chalking it up to beta OS and drivers. i should be at well over 6.0 easily and possibly 7 with my system.

My Aero score dropped from 7.9 to 5.9, while my Gaming Graphics score stayed at 6.1. Wtf XD

That's curious. In 7048, my Aero score stayed the same, but my Gaming Graphics score took a real nose dive (inpite of same vga driver).

Perhaps they fixed Gaming Graphics now and broke the Aero score in the process...

can anybody pm me a fast link to download the x64 build? ive tried for 2 days and the speeds are absolutely horrid, im not waiting 7 hours+ just to download this. i even updated my trackers with no success and i know it's not my net connection either.

I don't have anything faster either :(

Already five hours elapsed here, with another hour to go. It's simply not going any faster.

There is a problem with those hidden desktop.ini files. I moved some of my personal folders 'Pictures' 'My Documents' etc ... and it screwed up creating two instances of the folder.

Mine took awhile to upgrade from 7048, a good hour and a half at least.

When it first started up I thought the networking was dead but it turned out my cable modem crapped out during the install so was just me hehe.

Just took care of the missing start menu items and the Desktop.ini files..

Heres to hoping the rest goes as smooth as the other 2 builds have..

My WEI scores dropped as well. They were 4. something last build now its 3.4 and that happens to be my graphics score.

Laptops got a Quadro NVS140M in it.

Has anyone else noticed a (seemingly) random 3 second delay in starting applications? 7048 didn't have this.

yep! And now, with 7057 x64, I've a very looooong boot time.

Build 7000 and 7048 boot in about 40 seconds...7057 boot in more than 1 minute.

Besides I've same bug as x86 7057 in taskmanager....

:(

yep! And now, with 7057 x64, I've a very looooong boot time.

Build 7000 and 7048 boot in about 40 seconds...7054 boot in more than 1 minute.

Besides I've same bug as x86 7057 in taskmanager....

:(

I think its safe to say that some of the changes they made since 7048 have resulted in a performance hit. Just another reason why this is obviously not the official RC1 since they are probably still compiling more builds to optimize the code again and ge ###### back up to speed.

To me, it is not a big deal considering I am not one of those people who shuts down their computer ten times a day. The difference is not that noticeable.

My WEI scores dropped as well. They were 4. something last build now its 3.4 and that happens to be my graphics score.

Laptops got a Quadro NVS140M in it.

Me too. My aero score were 7.9 in 7000 and 7048. Now I've a 5.9 in 7057.

:huh:

I'm super impressed with this build aside for the desktop.ini issue which is very easy to fix everything works like a charm, so fast and stable, it seems to be consuming slightly a little bit more RAM than previous builds but all of my software and hardware worked fine out of the box, it even found drivers automatically for my chipset, modem and specially my RAID controller which I was having issues with in 7048 and had me worried.

I have found vast improvements across the board in comparison with previous builds:

.Aero seems to look better and all animations and effects look smoother for me.

.Remote Desktop has been updated.

.Magnifier works really nice and they changed how it works, not that I need that but some people do, specially those with visual disabilities.

.Lots of sweet new wallpapers.

.New sounds

.Superbar has a new effect which lets you see unpinned programs without needing to scroll to the next row when the superbar is full, and it lets you pin more programs than before, it automatically expands or contracts as you close or open programs.

.There was a bug where you could not add new ftp network locations in the "Computer" area, it's fixed in this build.

.There's a new permanent "New Folder" option in explorer whenever it can actually be used.

.Some of my Gadgets that had visual glitches in previous builds now don't, with the exception of the Weather Gadget that has that bug others have mentioned when not expanded, since I always expand it it doesn't bother me.

.My WEI score went up in all fronts and now it scores even better than it did with Vista.

Over all it feels rock solid and beautiful, of course I still hope Microsoft does something with the Orb I really dislike how it looks just another application in the superbar, they need to make it stand out more, like curving the superbar where the StartMenu Orb is or something around those lines, the new orb animation looks better than the old one, of course this is still not final and I'm sure they will tweak the GUI even more and add new icons before release.

get it from rapidshare or news server if you are desperate.

Thank you. I completely forgot I had access to rapidshare. I got 7057 dl now and will have in 25 min (x86 ;))

Over all it feels rock solid and beautiful, of course I still hope Microsoft does something with the Orb I really dislike how it looks just another application in the superbar, they need to make it stand out more, like curving the superbar where the StartMenu Orb is or something around those lines, the new orb animation looks better than the old one, of course this is still not final and I'm sure they will tweak the GUI even more and add new icons before release.

If you turn the icons to small on the start menu/taskbar, it will curve out over the top/side for you. ;)

Replying to myself because I think I've figured out why this bug exists:

In previous versions (7048 and lower), getting a 32bit application (like ?Torrent) to open an instance of Windows Explorer opened a 32bit instance.

This is no longer the case.

I think this change is what introduced the described behaviour, which means MS is undoubtedly aware of it and will have it fixed in the RC:))

my WEI dropped from 6.0 to 5.9. my hard drive and aero exeperience are now at 5.9 both. i'm chalking it up to beta OS and drivers. i should be at well over 6.0 easily and possibly 7 with my system.

For those of you having WEI issues with your HDD score dropping, try turning off Write caching and re-run the assessment.

Mine went from a 1.0 (limited by the HDD) to a 5.4 (limited by my Aero score). HDD is a 5.9 now.

Seems like its mostly a problem on drives with large caches. Mine is a 7200 rpm with 32mb cache.

David

Build 7057 is RC0.9. Build 7048 was RC0.1. (Look in WEI WinSAT XML headings.)

For those of you having WEI issues with your HDD score dropping, try turning off Write caching and re-run the assessment.

Mine went from a 1.0 (limited by the HDD) to a 5.4 (limited by my Aero score). HDD is a 5.9 now.

Seems like its mostly a problem on drives with large caches. Mine is a 7200 rpm with 32mb cache.

David

No longer in 7048/57 - if you turn off Write caching, WEI/WinSAT will fail. 7057 should give you your expected score without any trick or disabling anything. Some users might need this: http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Des...ullName=Windows Vista* 64〈=eng://http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Det...64〈=eng

FFS I just got the x86 installed and I find out there is a x64 build -_-. WHY!!!!!!!!

post-280528-1237067844.png

@Belazor I'm not having having any delay in opening programs.