• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

[Official] ArmA 2 (PC) , Q2+ 2009

|Rapture|    18

The UK Steam price is now down to ?29.99 which is still a little high but more inline with what I would expect to pay. I hear the price for mainland Europe is still bordering on the extortionate tho...

Sethos    270

Found some nifty tweaks in shape of some shortcut extensions;

-winxp - use it in Vista/W7 to enable multi-GPU support

-nosplash - skip those splash screens

-world=empty - doesn't load as much stuff for menu, starts faster

-maxmem=2048 (if you have 4+ GB) or -maxmem=3072 or -maxmem=4096 if you have 6+ GB - this might help with texture loading problems

-profiles=profiles - will store profile info and missions in main C:\Program Files\Bohemia Interactive\Arma 2\profiles folder

I added -nosplash, -winxp and -maxmem=4096 which gained me over 20fps in some areas, woop (Y)

Dwarden    8

-window , windowed mode

-noCB , turns off multicore drawing, slow down rendering but may resolve visual glitches

use latest AMD.ATI drivers (earlier got issues on 64bit OSes and >4GB),

also on 10.6.2009 should be released new AMD.ATI driver to fix VRAM fragementation issues (helps ArmA 2 too)

... for people claiming how bad ArmA 2 is (e.g. on AI) :

some AI movement

some anims

some scenic stuff (including known bug at end of video)

some A-10 (person using limited viewdistance in case you ask about the tree draw range)

Su-25

(if you change UI sizing and w/p restart game afteward it's edges are out of border which is probably what you see in this vid)

AI surrender logic

improved lights

healing

various firefights quick job in editor, patched game

smoke viewblock

i'm not saying there aren't bugs or that the game is perfect ...

but it's way better than OFP/OFPR/OFPE or A1 while some people keeps claiming otherwise

after 3 patches i hope most of the complains fade away ...

Dwarden    8

-cpuCount=X. This will override our autodetection.

Changing affinity on the fly is definitely not good, because worker threads are spawned on the game initialization,

and by lowering affinity later you cause threads competing for cores.

The best way to simulate dual core on quad core is to use -cpuCount=2 when you run the game

and then change the affinity to 2 cores to make sure additional cores can never be used when some overshedulling happens.

It might be also possible to set the affinity in the OS before you launch the process, that would work as well.

tank climbing, slow/speed ups

ArMaTeC    0

Cant wait 5 more days until the UK version then i can give my friend my German download.

Awesome work, Awesome game keep us posted on updates

LOC    930

It looked like a rocket booster was turned on when the tank went downhill :D

ArMaTeC    0

yer the M1A1 is one heavy bit of kit in in Real Life and on mud i guess it would speed up if uncontrolled like in that video. You can always just hit S to slow you down as this is what i do (slow and steady wins the war)

Sethos    270

That's how the VBS engine handled downhill tanks since day one, supersonic speed :laugh: The engine is solid but does have quite a few quirks as people will learn but many of the annoying quirks have been ironed out.

Here's some news;

Arma 2 demo expected June 15th or 16th

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=5951

And the 3D editor which everyone thought to be excluded is actually in the game yet a bit unfinished, so we can expect a working version patched into the game at some point (Y)

3D-Real time editor - Its there!

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=5918

Dwarden    8

Due to popular demand, some more qualite videos from ArmA 2 (1.01):

night battle

Some F35 HD flight

Quick and Big Air Battle HD

island ambush

some of the anti urban myths videos about ArmA 2 AI

and now some HD video of Sahrrani from ArmA 1 played in Arma 2 (looks better) :

(one more reason to now buy also ArmA 1 to just enjoy content in newer engine )

AI enemy squad pass close to not moving laying player w/o noticing him (dawn time not pitch black night)

some russian copters

some slow motion capture

ArmA 2 @ TripleHead2Go (Matrox):

Storm ingame

Sethos    270

Most of those videos are rubbish, you just can't capture the feel or atmosphere or ArmA 2 in a video, plus they just look crap. The "Black Hawk Down" video aka. slow-mo video is great though (Y)

ArMaTeC    0

Nice collection you got there man

Dwarden    8
Most of those videos are rubbish, you just can't capture the feel or atmosphere or ArmA 2 in a video, plus they just look crap. The "Black Hawk Down" video aka. slow-mo video is great though (Y)

nothing stops You to post better videos :)

some MLRS fun

Sethos    270

Game is released in less than a week and a demo is a few days away, would be a waste of time ;)

LOC    930

I have to say the game looks mighty fine and all. But the voice overs when you issue/recieve orders/hear chatter still sounds horrible like in ArmA 1. Couldn't they improve that, a bit? Or is that what they were shooting for? (no pun intended)

Sethos    270

It would take ages to incorporate a proper working radio system. They tried to improve by recording longer sentences for conversations, to make it sound more natural but you just can't record that many sentences to cover each situation you end up in, would take forever. I do think it has gotten worse because they recorded everything with extra clarity, now you can really hear the tones and the breaks in the commands, sounds awful. I can tell you it's not what they are 'shooting' for because they are getting huge flack for it by the community but there's no real way around it unless they put a staggering amount of time into it.

LOC    930

Yeah I kinda figured as much. But still, it does sound way worse than ArmA 1 now, yukky.

ObiWanToby    35

Maybe by the time it comes to the US, it will have bug fixes?

http://thereticule.com/2009/06/arma-ii-the-verdict/

It looks good. It has real potential. I am sure a patch somewhere down the line will fix the issues. Plus the game wont be 50 bucks.

Sethos    270

Well, the game should starting to ship today in Europe for anyone who actually pre-ordered it :p Can't wait to hear some impressions and opinions tomorrow.

Friendly advice? Stay away from the campaign and focus on the Editor, Scenarios and Multiplayer.

Laertes    0

Patch 1.02 was released on Friday, clicky.

Version 1.02 Highlights

* Improved AI driving skills

* Lowered enemy AI skills for regular and recruit difficulty levels

* Improved Micro AI tactics, attack in pairs, path limiting to avoid passing through walls.

* Fixed multiplayer session NAT negotiation

* Improved game stability (various crash opportunities fixed)

* Multiple save slots supported

* Improved terrain shape beyond map borders

* Various campaign and localization fixes and improvements

* Modules (F7) support added in the Mission Editor

* Added option to disable various post-process effects (bloom, blur etc.)

Andrew    2,860

Absolutely love the game, my computer is aging pretty badly these days for gaming but even still it looks pretty nice. Can only imagine how great it looks on a capable system.

Hopefully with a few more tweaks I can increase FPS and enjoy it more

Yusuf M.    1,362
Game is released in less than a week and a demo is a few days away, would be a waste of time ;)

It's been 10 days since your post and there's still no demo. At least not one that I could find. :(

Sethos    270

Nope, they seem to make a lot of promises constantly, it was supposed to be out Monday this time, then it got pushed back - So it will be here ... eventually.

On another note, Munky loved the game, woop!

Yusuf M.    1,362

I guess it doesn't hurt to wait another day. The CD-key for ?14.99/$19.49 is a great deal. It's a shame it's not compatible with Steam. Since that's the case, it would only benefit people that actually have a physical copy oArmA 2i>.

Sethos    270
it would only benefit people that actually have a physical copy of ArmA 2.

Or dem pirates, yarr!