[Official] ArmA 2 (PC) , Q2+ 2009

ArmA II, here I come (in 8 hours). See you on the battlefield, Sethos.

I ordered my copy from play.com last thursday, 33euros

Yesterday I got a letter saying the postal service had a package for me and that the customs want 215kr(29euros) to hand it over

Can you spell fail? F A I L

Why from Play.com? Had you ordered from a site like ShopTo ( or some other UK site for that matter ) you could have gotten it cheaper, faster and not have to worry about the import tax.

Always ordered from play.com back in the days so :/

Wondering if I should refuse the package and have my money refunded then buy it again from ShopTo or others :p

Looks like there may be a good game hidden in there somewhere.

but they seriously overcomplicate things. heli control is beyond abysmal. might be acceptable with a stick or pad but at least default m/k controls are unusable.

And basic infantry is pretty much the same. They seriously over complicate matters. having keys for things you shouldn't need to have keys for. I mean what the hell hitting 0 to get scope. who thought that was a good idea... I also don't see the reason for the v key to "go over" objects instead of having a jump key that also does the same.

Might be a good game if you spend an hour customizing the key layout into something sensible. but... I'm normally all for realistic shooters, but I'm kind of amazed they don't have a special key you don't have to hold to breathe in and release to breathe out...

There is a hold-breath key, of course there isn't jumping in a game like this, this isn't a counter-strike twitch shooter, you can become an ace pilot with a keyboard if you care to learn it and hitting 0 for scope, what? just press the right mouse pad once instead of holding?

Sounds like you haven't bothered to look at the controls AT ALL.

There is a hold-breath key, of course there isn't jumping in a game like this, this isn't a counter-strike twitch shooter, you can become an ace pilot with a keyboard if you care to learn it and hitting 0 for scope, what? just press the right mouse pad once instead of holding?

Sounds like you haven't bothered to look at the controls AT ALL.

I did look at the controls, and I know there's a "hold" breath key, but you missed the entire point of that...

and I know it's not Cs, I don't care for CS. but there's a realistic difference in making a game simulate things wich are automatic and you shouldn't need keys for.

The control layout is horrible, combined with an overcomplex control system. by default it doesn't even use the mouse wheel for anything, and while I understand and appreciate the ability to both have the right button aim and a separate scope key, you do NOT place the scope at effing key 0. That may have made sense for the two people in the world who play with the numpad or the arrow keys. and yeah, hitting right mouse once didn't do anything else then holding it.

Also for the heli, they double up control by default so the WASD keys does the same as the mouse... wich make about as much sense as making both the right and left mouse button the primary trigger for a gun. The actual flight simulation of the helicopter beyond that is just plain bad though. A cobra is no apache no, but it doesn' t handle like a chinook on a tether either.

There may, as I said, be a good game hidden under there. but first I would have to spend a long time remapping the controls, and stay far away from the aggravation that is unrealistic helicopter flight, which is made harder than it should be only to make them less overpowered.

At least they let you customize controls, if you couldn't, you'd have something to complain about ;) As for the mouse wheel, it's used to navigate the command menu and clicking the mouse wheel activates it. Considering the amount of options and stuff that can be controlled in the game, they did an excellent job of putting it all together and if you're clicking the keyboard to zoom instead of the mouse, who's to blame?

As for realistic handling of helicopters, I do agree with you but after so many years of the VBS engine I've learned to live with it, since it has remain unchanged for so long. Plus, the modding scene usually does an excellent job of releasing addons that come close to real-life handling and even release addons that change the handling of current vehicles, airplanes and helicopters in the game.

By the way, airplane controls are based on either left hand on WSAD and right hand on arrow keys or left hand on arrow keys and right on the mouse, that's why mouse and WSAD isn't doing it for you - That is not complex, that is just a design choice that happens to not coincide with your regular way of playing but it still makes sense. Plus Numpad 0 as a zoom key AS WELL as the mouse is perfect, for arrow key users in both infantry and airplane mode, you can hit it with your pinky and still reach everything else.

As for ...

I did look at the controls, and I know there's a "hold" breath key, but you missed the entire point of that...

What did I miss, you asked for such a key, I'm telling you there is such a key and then I'm missing the point? Sounds like you were just proven wrong and had nothing else to say.

Edited by Sethos

Played some of the demo, It's certainly an ambitious game. But I'd agree the controls are really quite complex to get to grips with.

I don't understand why there is one button for crouch, one for prone, and then one to stand up. surely they could have made it a bit simpler.

Turns out my dad's credit card is no good. I'll have to wait for him to sort it out with his bank. Anyway, I guess I'll just transfer funds from my bank account to PayPal. It's going to get at least 8 days. Ugh! :(

Turns out my dad's credit card is no good. I'll have to wait for him to sort it out with his bank. Anyway, I guess I'll just transfer funds from my bank account to PayPal. It's going to get at least 8 days. Ugh! :(

You're like 8 different layers of suck man, go steal it or something :(

just got it off steam. I am not impressed at all. a lot of input lag, single player campaign is glitchy. often I've seen ai spawn in mid air in front of me, the player models and animations are pure horrible and ruin what would be good graphics (the way their mouths move when they talk looks like its from the 90s)

And the controls are terrible.

Edited by ViperAFK

You're like 8 different layers of suck man, go steal it or something :(

:cry:

I agree with most.

Tested the demo and its awkward.

Bad video optimization, controls are really hard to get used to it.

Im disappointed with Arma 2.

Everyone complaining needs to go back to CS Source or similiar :p

Sethos, cant pickup my ArmA before monday :/ how fast is ShopTo?

Might aswell order from there if I can have it tuesday or wednesday

My overall impression after playing ArmA2 demo was of major disappointment and thinking I'm glad I did NOT buy it since it would've have been a waste of my hard earned money (deja vu from ArmA 1, anyone?).

I mean, there is an amazing open feel throughout the maps however overcomplicated controls make me cringe every time I boot it up. I've tried to get acclimated with the controls but I end up just getting frustrated.

Just as someone said, to use a V key to "Jump over obstacles" instead of using the space bar like 99% of other FPS games is just weird, and don't even get me started on the Helo controls. I for one like to have my mouse axis inverted for flight (be it helicopters or jets) however I can only make it all or nothing. Meaning all the functions of the mouse inverted including for helos, infantry (try walking inverted :wacko: ) and armor. You should be able to invert mouse for flight/infantry/armor independently.

Then there is the overall lag/sluggish feel not only playing online but in campaign. I always join a server with a green ping designation yet I see people jumping around left and right (ex: they are there, now they are not).

Most of the time while in an online game it goes as:

• 90% don't know what to do
  • 90% are lost
  • Teamkilling (maybe because they can't find the enemy)
  • Join/Leave Spaming

(N) (N) from me.

/bitch*n :shiftyninja:

Just as someone said, to use a V key to "Jump over obstacles" instead of using the space bar like 99% of other FPS games is just weird, and don't even get me started on the Helo controls. I for one like to have my mouse axis inverted for flight (be it helicopters or jets) however I can only make it all or nothing. Meaning all the functions of the mouse inverted including for helos, infantry (try walking inverted :wacko: ) and armor. You should be able to invert mouse for flight/infantry/armor independently.

You realise that keymapping (i.e jumping) is almost entirely open, if the space bar bothers you that much, just change it. Tbh, the default keymap is terrible, they really should offer better instructions for the n00bs.

Anyway ArmA 2 > *

My overall impression after playing ArmA2 demo was of major disappointment and thinking I'm glad I did NOT buy it since it would've have been a waste of my hard earned money (deja vu from ArmA 1, anyone?).

I mean, there is an amazing open feel throughout the maps however overcomplicated controls make me cringe every time I boot it up. I've tried to get acclimated with the controls but I end up just getting frustrated.

Then there is the overall lag/sluggish feel not only playing online but in campaign. I always join a server with a green ping designation yet I see people jumping around left and right (ex: they are there, now they are not).

Most of the time while in an online game it goes as:

• 90% don't know what to do
  • 90% are lost
  • Teamkilling (maybe because they can't find the enemy)
  • Join/Leave Spaming

(N) (N) from me.

/bitch*n :shiftyninja:

I agree with everything but the V key issue. The game does not feel right. Oh well, no buy.

Everyone complaining needs to go back to CS Source or similiar :p

Sethos, cant pickup my ArmA before monday :/ how fast is ShopTo?

Might aswell order from there if I can have it tuesday or wednesday

UK orders always arrive within 2 days, no matter where I order from.

Just had an awesome game tonight with a Danish community. Played for almost 4 hours and went through various maps made by us ( including me ) and some random maps picked up from various community sites and to sum it up -- Epic!

When you combine a game as awesome as this with proper teamwork, a proper command structure and an attention to the realism, you really reach the peak of gaming. Some 'moments' just gets printed on to your memory, like a few of you gets dropped off by one of the boys in a Huey, you see the dust everywhere and the rest of your team securing the area, the pilot then proceeds to do a missile-run in the nearby hostile town to clear it out of an enemy APC and some infantry. The atmosphere and feel of this game is like no other, this is really a case of "gaming tailored for me". I just have a hard time understanding the complaints with the game, the controls aren't complex, they make a ton of sense when you actually play the game as it's meant to be played - Then you will appreciate the key placement and the fact that simple things as crouching / prone / standing is mapped to individual keys instead of some toggle action crap.

There are a few issues with inversion etc. I can concede that but bloody hell, moaning about controls you are able to remap goes beyond my understanding. I guess when you have a game that requires you to set up a few options before you start isn't going down well with the "CS crowd", then again, it's a perfect way of getting rid of the CS tards :laugh: I did have initial problems with lag but disabling UPnP on Windows 7 and opening the appropriate port totally removed that, mainly because UPnP on Windows 7 is knackered. Most people will play this as another twitch shooter and most servers are set up as a twitch-server, for lack of a better word and that is so not how this game is meant to be played. This is a slow, tactical game focusing on the military aspect and not constant heart-pounding action. The game is meant to feel slow and the controls allow a lot of headroom. For the people moaning about keyboard controls in planes and helicopters, get a flight-stick or a controller ( 360 controller, as an example ) and stop thinking this is Battlefield 2. Not the handling isn't modelled realistically but it's fun, effective and does the job while rooting out all the tard pilots crashing the bird every other second.

The game has issues, certainly but for an old "Bohemia Interactive Games" vet, this is the most polished and world-class looking game so far and they really gave proper Operation Flashpoint / Armed Assault fans all their money's worth! Now for the crowd that doesn't "understand" the Bohemia mentality and game design, too bad, this will never be the twitch shooter you are longing for, this game is perfect for the sim buffs playing it in clans / groups.

Oh and Huleboeren, when you do get the game I suggest you stop by arma2.dk, that's the community I'm referring to - Loads of nice and mature people, having a fair bit of fun and you will certainly get your dosage of ArmA II fun (Y) ( Still a fairly new community as far as I understand but they have their own server, TS and a dedicated play base. )

My desire for this game knows no bounds. I shall acquire it. No, I will acquire it. :devil:

I don't understand why there is one button for crouch, one for prone, and then one to stand up. surely they could have made it a bit simpler.

Lots of games have that. They usually have a single "change stance" key too, but by the time you go through all the stances you will most likely be shot in the head. That's why it's better to have separate keys.

I agree completely with Sethos. The game is a bit buggy, has it's own share of problems but this game is the most realistic experience I've had with a game bar none. The attention to physics, details and overall gameplay is by far something that blows minds.

This game is no Battlefield 2 or COD4. It is a complex military simulation of real life with chain of command, teamwork that goes beyond traditional war games but boy does it feel and look good. Graphics are not Killzone 2 or Gears of War but they are realistic enough. The physics on tanks, environmental particles, smoke, explosions feel real and the sound is absolutely amazing.

I actually bought the game when it came out on Steam and it has a steep learning curve but if you have patience and dedication you will get everything. It helps if you finish bootcamp first, then read the manual in PDF through Steam.

You really need to at least get a grasp of how things work. I've been playing for days and I still have things to figure out but it's getting better and better as I figure more things out.

What's funny is that a lot of impatient people jumped onto ARMA 2 based on reviews and first day or two release started ruining servers because they just jump in and they start getting frustrated that they are in the base and can't figure out how to work with a team or teleport or parajump or just simply wait patiently for the blackhawks to come pick up the next squad so they start killing people around them and trying to destroy choppers. It started getting better though cause these folks are clearing out now and quitting so only the good and dedicated players stay and play is awesome.

I've never had more cinematic and real feel in a game before.

For example, the excitement where I destroyed a Radio Tower for enemy can't call in reinforcment just to be pinned down by an approaching tank and can't move and when I thought I was toast my squad runs out of the woods and rocket launcher destroys the tank, while they help me out in a street fight picking off hostiles.

After successful clear of the town, we radio in Blackhawk that was not too far away, I pop the green smoke and chopper comes to pick us up and while it's slowly coming down to the ground, the dust and grass is blowing all around it in a totally real way while we are all running towards it.

Wow, what a feeling. I can't say i had that feeling in other games, which actually happens quite often in ARMA 2. That's how good everything is.

I'm glad that a lot of people will not play this game because it is very unlikely that this game will have cheats or hacks because there are no points as much as it is a real life simulation which most cheating brats don't even want to play cause they suck unless they cheat.

I just wish they patch some of these bugs and optimize it a bit more but other than that it's a fantastic game and I completely agree that it is probably the most ambitious game ever made. The amount of details that went to this game is simply astonishing.

If you never played Joint Operations or Americas Army or even Battlefield 2 Project Reality, or even if you played them and disliked them, you definitely won't like ARMA 2. But for the rest of us, this is pure bliss.

I'd have to agree the game definitely is slower paced and tactical. they did a great job on realism and the attention to detail as others said is spot-on. if i had to bullet point a few things that i wish they would improve it would go like this:

-adjustable sniper scope, I want to be able to adjust a little on the magnification, something like a 8x-24x spread would be great.

-improve the AI, very difficult I know but they are terrible drivers and their sense of self-preservation is non-existant, except when you dont it them to be. was playing earlier today and had myself and 2 npcs in my squad in a insurgent apc, i was just riding along giving orders via map/whatnot when we get nicked a bit from a jeep w/ a .50 on it, taking about a bar of damage off the apc. my buddies decided to bail out and stand alongside the apc, refusing to get back inside and getting lit up while i swapped to gun and destroyed the jeep. things like that make it really hard to manage a squad successfully.

-clearer tutorials, if you miss the tooltip telling you the key you need to push its gone unless you restart training, so i was left to flounder about the keybindings looking for the 1 thing i needed to know. yes you can learn and will learn most of how to play thru practice but a little more wouldnt hurt right off.

other than those I am pretty pumped to keep at it, though wont buy full game until a steam price deal or something.