[Official] ArmA 2 (PC) , Q2+ 2009

Viper if you are playing Demo only you are missing out big time. Demo is really super toned down version of what's in this game. Full version is insanely more in-depth and Singleplayer is pretty damn good too.

The Arma II demo reminded me of America's Army 3's tutorials. I enjoyed Battlefield 2 but the overall feel of this game is not my cup of tea unless I'm in a sim mood (which I would then play Flight Simulator X).

So far, the game has gotten positive reviews in general. This certainly looks like a realistic twist to Battlefield 2 (never played Flashpoint since the graphics looked dated) so multiplayer must be the main component.

Edited by maskedforever

Lots of games have that. They usually have a single "change stance" key too, but by the time you go through all the stances you will most likely be shot in the head. That's why it's better to have separate keys.

I like how it works on some XBox shooters. press to crouch hold to go prone, press again or press jump to get up again.

I like how it works on some XBox shooters. press to crouch hold to go prone, press again or press jump to get up again.

That would be annoying and retarded for this game, plus this is not a console game so you don't need this "one key for everything" malarkey.

I agree completely with Sethos. The game is a bit buggy, has it's own share of problems but this game is the most realistic experience I've had with a game bar none. The attention to physics, details and overall gameplay is by far something that blows minds.

This game is no Battlefield 2 or COD4. It is a complex military simulation of real life with chain of command, teamwork that goes beyond traditional war games but boy does it feel and look good. Graphics are not Killzone 2 or Gears of War but they are realistic enough. The physics on tanks, environmental particles, smoke, explosions feel real and the sound is absolutely amazing.

I actually bought the game when it came out on Steam and it has a steep learning curve but if you have patience and dedication you will get everything. It helps if you finish bootcamp first, then read the manual in PDF through Steam.

You really need to at least get a grasp of how things work. I've been playing for days and I still have things to figure out but it's getting better and better as I figure more things out.

What's funny is that a lot of impatient people jumped onto ARMA 2 based on reviews and first day or two release started ruining servers because they just jump in and they start getting frustrated that they are in the base and can't figure out how to work with a team or teleport or parajump or just simply wait patiently for the blackhawks to come pick up the next squad so they start killing people around them and trying to destroy choppers. It started getting better though cause these folks are clearing out now and quitting so only the good and dedicated players stay and play is awesome.

I've never had more cinematic and real feel in a game before.

For example, the excitement where I destroyed a Radio Tower for enemy can't call in reinforcment just to be pinned down by an approaching tank and can't move and when I thought I was toast my squad runs out of the woods and rocket launcher destroys the tank, while they help me out in a street fight picking off hostiles.

After successful clear of the town, we radio in Blackhawk that was not too far away, I pop the green smoke and chopper comes to pick us up and while it's slowly coming down to the ground, the dust and grass is blowing all around it in a totally real way while we are all running towards it.

Wow, what a feeling. I can't say i had that feeling in other games, which actually happens quite often in ARMA 2. That's how good everything is.

I'm glad that a lot of people will not play this game because it is very unlikely that this game will have cheats or hacks because there are no points as much as it is a real life simulation which most cheating brats don't even want to play cause they suck unless they cheat.

I just wish they patch some of these bugs and optimize it a bit more but other than that it's a fantastic game and I completely agree that it is probably the most ambitious game ever made. The amount of details that went to this game is simply astonishing.

If you never played Joint Operations or Americas Army or even Battlefield 2 Project Reality, or even if you played them and disliked them, you definitely won't like ARMA 2. But for the rest of us, this is pure bliss.

Couldnt agree more. Im just waiting for the Black Hawk mods to come in. If this game gets the addon support like OFP and Arma did before it then this is exactly bliss. Ive had so much fun learning some of the mission editor. Tho my single player campaign is bugging and I cant kill enemys bullets pass thru them.

Took one of the planes for a spin and its no Flight Sim but its bloody good fun. I suggest you look about for "Littlebird" addons, there poss one of the most fun choppers to fly out here once you mster pilot and landing etc :)

Such a well polished OFP, and yeh its buggy. Original OFP was insanely buggy at launch and needed a monster system.

Tho my single player campaign is bugging and I cant kill enemys bullets pass thru them.

That sounds like FADE kicking in, Anti-piracy protection. Can cause bullets to become useless, go off in whichever direction, turn you into wildlife etc.

Just a quick note. This is available for 17.99? from game. With 45p worth of GAME points and 1.62 worth of quidco, its a damn good deal for only ?16ish I might bite the bullet and go for it, and hope the patches fix what needs fixing, because I don't think we'll see a much lower price for a while.

**** it. I've ordered it. To many games nowadays I order then cancel. Hopefully they will take my money before I can do so.

http://www.game.co.uk/PC/Strategy/~r340775/ArmA-II/

That sounds like FADE kicking in, Anti-piracy protection. Can cause bullets to become useless, go off in whichever direction, turn you into wildlife etc.

Yeh cept its the retail version being played off of a physical disc in the drive :(

Yeh cept its the retail version being played off of a physical disc in the drive :(

FADE can also kick in when replacing game files or installing addons by simply throwing them into the addon folder. Creating a dedicated "mod" folder and applying the mod extension to the shortcut is recommended.

FADE can also kick in when replacing game files or installing addons by simply throwing them into the addon folder. Creating a dedicated "mod" folder and applying the mod extension to the shortcut is recommended.

Fixed it by patching the game to latest :)

I really want to buy this game since I love it and it runs great, however the audio failed to work in the demo for some reason.

First part in a series of developer diaries, this one focusing on basic controls.

As part of a continuous commitment to ARMA II's dedicated fan community, Bohemia Interactive has created a series of developer diaries to be published online, starting July 1st. Jan Prazak, Bohemias PR manager, explains the basic controls of ARMA II, shown using comprehensive video footage captured ingame. The main goal of these videos is to reveal the depth of the game and describe in an easy-to-understand way how fun it really is to play ARMA II and enjoy one of the most sophisticated military simulator on market.

My copy arrived today, will be installing shortly.

Edit: Wow. It actually has a proper manual like the good old days.

Any way to reduce the headbobbing?

Im 3ft away from a 24" screen and im getting dizzy as **** :p

Did you bother looking in the options menu :p ?

Options > Game Options > Head Bob Slider

Did you bother looking in the options menu :p ?

Options > Game Options > Head Bob Slider

Sweet! :D

Always took that for the freeaim slider :p

thanks

For the Aussies;

"ArmA 2 gets dated down under

Hardcore military sim shooter ArmA II will be out in the land of the upside-down (Australia, that is) on July 16, 505 Games has confirmed.

Why's it good? 505 explains: "The game engine that powers ArmA II (Real Virtuality) is so realistic that armies across the globe use it as a framework for their virtual simulations and it's been constantly refined and improved during 10 years of development."

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=218720

Has patch 1.2 improved the bugs in this game?

If so I might pick it up. I'm unsure of trying the demo out as I heard the game was quite buggy for launch. Is the demo a good representation of how the game is now standing with 1.2 or not?

It has been perfectly playable since 1.0, it's just people who aren't used to certain quirks of the Real Virtuality which have been present for a long time. Yes it does suffer from a few odd moments, some botched waypoints here and there but overall, considering the scope of the game, the endless possibilities of the game and the modding potential ( which the community is already tapping into, yet again ) any bugs found in the game can't be considered a game-breaker. Plus, BI are constantly pumping out patches like they did with their previous games and they will continue to do so for years to come.

The people who claim to have found all these so called "bugs" should be forced to play vanilla Operation Flashpoint and then they will shut up, big time :p This is the most polished BI game to date.

It has been perfectly playable since 1.0, it's just people who aren't used to certain quirks of the Real Virtuality which have been present for a long time. Yes it does suffer from a few odd moments, some botched waypoints here and there but overall, considering the scope of the game, the endless possibilities of the game and the modding potential ( which the community is already tapping into, yet again ) any bugs found in the game can't be considered a game-breaker. Plus, BI are constantly pumping out patches like they did with their previous games and they will continue to do so for years to come.

The people who claim to have found all these so called "bugs" should be forced to play vanilla Operation Flashpoint and then they will shut up, big time :p This is the most polished BI game to date.

Okay I'll get the demo then.

I watched the developer controls walkthrough and I was immediately reminded of how much I loved Operation Flashpoint. I never really got going with AmrA for some reason, I think the biggest issue though was how it absolutely slaughtered my PC, just wasn't playable enough on my hardware back then.

Well if you loved Operation Flashpoint you will feel right at home in this game and you will even nod in acknowledgement when you see how little the actual core of the game has changed since then, yet manages to feel completely new, look brilliant and play completely different. Armed Assault was a bit of a beast, it lacked proper optimization to new-ish hardware ( SLI/XF and multiple cores ) and suffered from it. This game is highly optimized but it's a bit of a gamble like most PC games these days as you know, some people just have a lot of FPS problems despite meeting the required specifications.

Let me know what you think of the demo (Y)

The graphics in this game are incredibly overrated, they are touted as being so realistic but I think they are pretty 'meh'.

Arma will never look as good as the latest gen FPS simply because no other game goes into the level of detail, physics and simulation allowing you so many options and realism. Considering that COD MW2 (which i can't wait for) or even COD4 or KZ2 look stunningly great, they are still arcade shooters. They are there to provide you with mindless fun. Simple in and out and since it's all linear and pre-scripted they can afford doing some super special effects and high quality graphics.

With this being said, ARMA 2 is not KZ2 but it certainly doesn't look bad. It look great, the explosions and everything in that world is realistic. ARMA 3 will probably look completely like real life if ARMA 2 looks as good as it does.

I'm really impressed with graphics nonetheless. The mapping, the textures, smoke, explosions, physics look and feel great or at least great enough to be completely immersed into the game.

Tell me a game today that can do this in a completely unscripted way and look this real:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khG8pVEmzO4.swf

Or an engine that can simulate war with 1500 AI units:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KK6Fo3Y0AU.swf

Or capture city/town combat:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vy_osU-eA8s.swf

I can tell you. Not a single one that I know of.

Edited by Boz