The SP2 Thread - Reloaded

Techconnects Leak of 1224 has now been confirmed as only Build 1213 (Dated 24th April 2003) :(

News items on Intended Windows Security and Wi-Fi updates have been added

I have also re-designed the first post to make everything easier to find and have cleaned it up a bit to make it shorter.

Leebobs

EDIT: None of the currently leaked builds support Concurrent Sessions.

It seems this week Microsoft have opened up and let the world know about what exactly SP2 will include and when it will be ready. According to Paul Thurrott, "Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2) is still due in the first half of 2004" and will ship with all XP security features enabled including:

Network protection

Memory protection

Safer email

Safer browsing

In real terms this means there will be a new version of ICF (Internet Connection Firewall, which will be enabled by default). This new version will be able to control outgoing data to the internet and not only incoming. Changes to DCOM and the RPC interface will mean a greater restriction on buffer overruns to stop incidents like MS Blaster ever happening again. A new Internet Explorer and Outlook Express will be included to "lock-down" IE in a way that is included in Windows Server 2003.

Not much has been mentioned about the issue of having concurrent sessions under SP2 when operating Fast User Switching (FUS). Which incidently, will allow more than one user to remotely connect to a machine at the same time.

Updated Post With Link to above news

IE 6.05, Pop-Up Ad Blocking will Debut in Windows XP SP2

You won't have to wait for Longhorn in late 2005 to get pop-up ad blocking in Internet Explorer. Instead, Microsoft will release IE 6.05 as part of Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2), due in the first half of 2004. It's unclear whether IE 6.05 will include some of the other new IE features found in the PDC build of Longhorn, like the new download manager, but pop-up ad blocking is definitely among the changes we can expect, as are other new security features, like more locked-down Internet security zones.

You can get XP SP2 build 1224 here ;)

Build 1224 has been confirmed as fake a few times now... the file dates will all be from April 2003 and it will look a lot like 1213!! :D

Encryption NP M8 it is a quality guide worthy of recognition and very helpful indeed

General News, Thread cleaned up new topics will be added to main page with summeries posted as well. Had IE6.05 before the main page but have added further details.

Leebobs

• 2 weeks later...
Please explain your reasoning on how, "Its fake". :)
This was posed in relation to Alpha Build 1224 (not the current BETA invites) just to clear that up

A number of people (me included) downloaded this file and sure enough it said build number 1224. However the build number had been changed and incorrectly reported. The file build was actually 1213, which was released in April 2004.

Hope this Helps

Leebobs

(counting down till Beta)!!! :yes:

This was posed in relation to Alpha Build 1224 (not the current BETA invites) just to clear that up

A number of people (me included) downloaded this file and sure enough it said build number 1224. However the build number had been changed and incorrectly reported. The file build was actually 1213, which was released in April 2004.

Hope this Helps

Leebobs

(counting down till Beta)!!! :yes:

Ah, Yes I remember reading this somewhere, didnt know if this build truly existed or not. Thank you for clarifying :cool:

Has anyone who got the SP2 beta email actually agreed to it, because I can't!

To accept this invitation please visit BetaPlace at <http://www.betaplace.com/>

and then follow the below instructions:

1. Sign In with your Passport ID

2. Click 'Windows XP-SP2'

3. Click 'Yes, I Would Like to Participate!'

4. Fill out the questionnaire and click 'Submit'

I don't see the 'Windows XP-SP2' where is it??

Same problem here! :(

:angry:

Same problem here! :(

:angry:

same here

mailed the guys:

Hi Lammmetak. Thank you for your message.

We apologize that you encountered issues today regarding the Windows XP-SP2 nomination link on www.betaplace.com. We have ascertained the problem and this issue will be resolved within 24 hours. Please log back on to www.betaplace.com in 24 hours with your .NET Passport ID and you should see the Windows XP-SP2 nomination link to fill out the questionnaire. Please do not enter anything in the Guest ID prompt once you are logged on. We appreciate your interest in testing Microsoft Products.

24 hours so:)

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all,

I have a number of requests & well queries... When SP2 BETA arrives in the next few weeks will Neowin be releasing a uxtheme patch for it?

Can all SP2 testers post as much information as possiable about improvements & bugs found whilst at no point breaching the confidentiallity agreement between them and Microsoft.

Does anyone have a final date yet? :happy:

Leebobs

OYEZ Micro$oft - Ok We will Give you another chance with SP-2 - but you guys are really pushing our Patients to the Limits!!!!!

Hey I have an idea after this SP-2 bizness is taken care of - ADOPT OPEN SOURCE!!! Stop being a bunch of ASSWIPES - release the Windows SOURCE CODE to people that deserve to have it - customers that you WANT TO KEEP before they say **** THIS & switch to MAC OSX 10.2!!! We are not just "Idiot Consumer Users" you know - we have CODING abilities too!!! The OS is on our own PERSONAL MACHINES so let us FINE TUNE IT OURSELVES for a change - instead of trying to force the same pre-fabricated Fix/Patch down everyones throught!!! How are we to know that NEW BUGS won't be introduced with SP-2?