The SP2 Thread - Reloaded

OYEZ Micro$oft - Ok We will Give you another chance with SP-2 - but you guys are really pushing our Patients to the Limits!!!!!

Hey I have an idea after this SP-2 bizness is taken care of - ADOPT OPEN SOURCE!!! Stop being a bunch of ASSWIPES - release the Windows SOURCE CODE to people that deserve to have it - customers that you WANT TO KEEP before they say **** THIS & switch to MAC OSX 10.2!!! We are not just "Idiot Consumer Users" you know - we have CODING abilities too!!! The OS is on our own PERSONAL MACHINES so let us FINE TUNE IT OURSELVES for a change - instead of trying to force the same pre-fabricated Fix/Patch down everyones throught!!! How are we to know that NEW BUGS won't be introduced with SP-2?

OK :whistle:

Microsoft is prepping Windows XP Service Pack 2 to be released into beta testing within a week, sources said.

Service Pack 2, or SP2, expected to be delivered in finished form during the first half of 2004, is considered a significant Windows update because it offers enhanced security features and rolls up all the security patches and updates that have been released since the last service pack shipped in September 2002.

Sources familiar with the Service Pack 2 beta said the update offers Internet Connection Firewall (ICF) turned on by default, better patch detection and management features, changes in the way e-mail attachments are handled and support for the Security Configuration Wizard, planned for the first Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1 due in the second half of next year, partners said.

Microsoft has, for instance, made it possible for users to configure and manage the firewall using the Group Policy features of Active Directory, so that, for instance, an administrator can turn on the ICF for laptops used remotely and turn it off when they used within the office, sources said.

That way, a company can have multiple configurations for different user scenarios and manage it from one location.

In addition, the update includes changes to the remote procedure call (RPC) to limit the amount of damage that can be done by a hacker. By narrowing the set of permissions and privileges to the user level, virus and worm writers would be restricted.

:D :D :D All of which we have known for ages... but now at least it is all Semi Official thanks to CRN.com

It'll be next tues for all those interested, monday at the earliest and thurs at the latest if something goes wrong internally :)

Yeah! :D Thanks for the update Creamhackered

A good selection of changes that should have initially been in XP! Woo.

Of course, the /one/ thing I cared about with SP2 (Well, aside from the further restrictions to RPC and DCOM,) for my own systems at least, is the feature that won't be in it. Bah. I want my concurrent sessions! I'd actually /use/ remote desktop if they included that.

from crn.com:

"Partners say it will take a long time to test this beta code due to the variety of new security features and other new instant messaging, peer-to-peer (P2P) and video features introduced in SP2 beta. "This is big," one partner said of the update.

SP2, for instance, also features new support for Microsoft's P2P technologies, Microsoft Live Communications Server for corporate instant messaging and improves upon compression/decompression performance for video, said sources familiar with the beta.

One provider in the licensing arena said some service packs can be overlooked but probably not this one.

The SP2 beta is being prepped just as Symantec and others warn about potential exploits in the Windows Messenger Service instant messaging system. It's not clear how Microsoft plans to respond to the latest threats. SP2 does incorporate support for new P2P and instant messaging technologies developed by Microsoft."

What does this mean for the future of Windows/MSN mesenger?

What is the difference between concurrent sessions and the way that it's set up now with fast user switching and remote desktop?

Win2k3 includes ICF as well as a 'basic firewall' component of RRAS (which, for all I can tell, is the same thing as ICF) Anyone know if they are going to update 2k3 via SP1 to include the same firewall technology that XP SP2 will have?

-inc

from crn.com:

The SP2 beta is being prepped just as Symantec and others warn about potential exploits in the Windows Messenger Service instant messaging system.

What does this mean for the future of Windows/MSN mesenger?

CRN is just being stupid like everyone else. Windows Messenger is an IM client. The Messenger Service is the service that allows alerter messages to be sent across a network!

There is no such thing as Windows Messenger Service! :angry:

Windows Messnger (the IM) is being updated to link with MS's new server based communications software. MSN is becoming a cartoon and marketed toward the home user. Neither is going away.

The messenger service is unused by 99% of windows users, so MS is disabling it in SP2.

Dear Microsoft Customer,

Soon, Microsoft will make available to beta testers a pre-release copy of Service Pack 2 for Windows XP.

As one of our valued customers, we'd like to invite you to participate in the Windows XP SP2 Beta Program. Your participation is completely voluntary. Service Pack 2 Beta Program participants will preview Service Pack 2 software and have the opportunity to provide Microsoft with invaluable feedback as we continue work on this important release.

What is Windows XP SP2?

Windows XP SP2 will include many security and performance enhancements developed since the October, 2001 release of Windows XP. In addition, Windows XP SP2 will contain new "security technologies" specifically designed to help you protect your computer from malicious attacks, including port-based and e-mail attacks, malicious Web content and buffer overrun based attacks.

Other planned changes for Service Pack 2 include:

O An enhanced personal firewall with improved features designed to better secure your personal computer.

O Security Enhancements to Internet Explorer and Outlook Express

O Support for new processor technology to further protect your machine from potential exploits.

O Improved Windows Update support designed to make it easier than ever to help keep your system secure and up to date.

What you can expect if you participate?

When the pre-release Windows XP SP2 Beta becomes available in a few weeks, we'll notify you by email. It is your choice whether to participate. The beta software will be available either via download or if you elect, Microsoft will mail a CD containing Service Pack 2 beta to you. If you choose to participate, Microsoft asks that you install the beta software once it is received. We would like to hear from you regarding your overall experience with the beta software. If you encounter any issues or problems please feel free to file a problem report. You will also have the opportunity to communicate with other beta participants if you so choose. You will receive limited support through Microsoft's private newsgroups.

To accept this invitation please visit BetaPlace at <http://www.betaplace.com/> and then follow the below instructions:

*** Please Note: Access to BetaPlace requires a 24 hour processing period. Please wait 24 hours from the receipt of this email to access BetaPlace***

{blah blah blah}

Thank you in advance. We appreciate your willingness to consider participating in the Windows XP SP2 Beta software program!

The Windows Development Team

-HaXeD-

Quick update: SP2 BETA1 is rumored to have today Tuesday 16th December as its release date... I would expect news to appear very quickly if that is the case... But it is currently 4 in the Morning in the USA so don't expect anything for at least another 8-12 hours.

That is of course if Microsoft choose to release the patch today :no:

By reading this thread, I wonder if these sp2 security enhancements are simply just not already available by using nonMS software? I mostly use Opera and Foxmail, and some MYIE2 with ActiveX disabled - So my question is: Does sp2 bring any real improvements to a user like me? Thanks.

One more question: Is sp2?s intent to try to "sandbox" activex in some effective way? (Id rather do without it altogether)

(note: couldnt figure out how to edit my previous post, so had to add a new one here)

By reading this thread, I wonder if these sp2 security enhancements are simply just not already available by using nonMS software? I mostly use Opera and Foxmail, and some MYIE2 with ActiveX disabled - So my question is: Does sp2 bring any real improvements to a user like me? Thanks.

Ok, a lot of the security related tweaks to IE would be irrelevant to users of other internet browers, thats I give you, but there are a huge array of updates that benefit everyone.

Firstly all Critical and Recommended updates are included in SP2, plus a huge amount of fixes for bugs which no public patch was made available: This Link to The Microsoft website shows you just how many minor bugs they are addressing.

Microsoft are including new memory technologies to reduce buffer overrun exploits.

There is a new Internet Connection Firewall.

The Messenger Service will be dissabled and there will be an IE intergrated Pop-up blocker - Bang Adverts gone! :)

Any real improvements?

Well If you regard overall system stability and security as good things then yes, SP2 does benefit a user such as yourself.

Leebobs

BREAKING NEWS: ON THE MICROSOFT SECURITY UPDATE TODAY (ON NOW) THE MICROSOFT VP FOR SECURITY HAS ANNOUNCED AND EMPHASISED THAT WHEN SP2 RELEASES IE 6.05 WILL CONTAIN NO KNOWN SECURITY HOLES THAT INCLUDES WEB PAGE SPOOFING FOUND A FEW WEEKS AGO.

View webcast HERE

OK due to all the betaplace changes etc SP2 won't be released today (that's a certain no) but it's on for tomorrow. So look for SP2 tomorrow and with some luck there will be no last minute delays delaying it to thurs :)

so, in the sp-2 change document on ms website, regarding the popup blocker, it says that it will allow popup's when you click links...

does that mean its going to be smart and allow the ones it should, or if you click something, anything that pops up is fiar game, including 50 pop-unders?

anyone know what that was supposed to mean?

Got my SP2 invitation today, but the stupid thing says that the pre-release betas wont ship for a few more weeks!!!

Look

**Do not reply as this email is being sent to you from an un-monitored account. **

Dear Microsoft Customer,

Soon, Microsoft will make available to beta testers a pre-release copy of Service Pack 2 for Windows XP.

As one of our valued customers, we'd like to invite you to participate in the Windows XP SP2 Beta Program. Your participation is completely voluntary. Service Pack 2 Beta Program participants will preview Service Pack 2 software and have the opportunity to provide Microsoft with invaluable feedback as we continue work on this important release.

What is Windows XP SP2?

Windows XP SP2 will include many security and performance enhancements developed since the October, 2001 release of Windows XP. In addition, Windows XP SP2 will contain new "security technologies" specifically designed to help you protect your computer from malicious attacks, including port-based and e-mail attacks, malicious Web content and buffer overrun based attacks.

O An enhanced personal firewall with improved features designed to better secure your personal computer.

O Support for new processor technology to further protect your machine from potential exploits.

O Improved Windows Update support designed to make it easier than ever to help keep your system secure and up to date.

When the pre-release Windows XP SP2 Beta becomes available in a few weeks, we'll notify you by email. It is your choice whether to participate. The beta software will be available either via download or if you elect, Microsoft will mail a CD containing Service Pack 2 beta to you. If you choose to participate, Microsoft asks that you install the beta software once it is received. We would like to hear from you regarding your overall experience with the beta software. If you encounter any issues or problems please feel free to file a problem report. You will also have the opportunity to communicate with other beta participants if you so choose. You will receive limited support through Microsoft's private newsgroups.

.blah

.blah

.blah

.blah

Got my SP2 invitation today, but the stupid thing says that the pre-release betas wont ship for a few more weeks!!!

Look

**Do not reply as this email is being sent to you from an un-monitored account. **

Dear Microsoft Customer,

What is Windows XP SP2?

.blah

.blah

.blah

.blah

I got that e-mail about a month ago.

I got that e-mail about a month ago.

Oh, ok but still if I just got that email today and it says a few more weeks then whats up. Is it just an old email that they sent to me?