Deadly new flu strain erupts in Mexico, U.S.

IMO this thing has to be man made... I mean seriously "The virus is an influenza A virus, carrying the designation H1N1. It contains DNA from avian, swine and human viruses" !!!

:tinfoil:

Doesnt this flu thing happen every single year? I'm pretty sure i've heard it on the news as a mjor outbreak for the past 4.

I think its only really deadly to elderly, already ill, and children.

so i dunno

i haven't had the flu for probably 10+ years now. hope i never get it again. ha it sucks.

This is a new strain of flu. Not the normal winter flu.

From what I've heard from the media, it affects younger healthy people worse :huh:

ok, why is this "killer" infection such a big deal when the 8 people who got it in the US all recovered and only one of them actually needed to be hospitalized...

The fact that they are saying 60+ people died in mexico points to something wrong with their treatment protocols, or a much larger portion of Mexico has been infected and most people did not have an adverse reaction. Until there is some real statistical data on this flu, this is nothing but a media frenzy and the mexican government overreacting because they are already in pretty bad shape with everything else going on.

Also the fact that only one of the US patients required hospitalization shows that whatever the treatment protocol is, its not intensive making this even less likely to be some major killer flu...

No, that's just ridiculous :p BUT I mean.. C'mon! Bird, Pork and HUMAN dna :s?! That doesn't sound weird to you...

Do you have any idea what a virus is or how it works? If you did you would realize how stupid your statement is. Don't you remember learning in school that for quite some time it was hard for scientists to even consider a virus to be a living organism? How do you think viruses are able to infect all forms of cellular life? Does the term Antigenic Shift mean anything to you?

ok, why is this "killer" infection such a big deal when the 8 people who got it in the US all recovered and only one of them actually needed to be hospitalized...

The fact that they are saying 60+ people died in mexico points to something wrong with their treatment protocols, or a much larger portion of Mexico has been infected and most people did not have an adverse reaction. Until there is some real statistical data on this flu, this is nothing but a media frenzy and the mexican government overreacting because they are already in pretty bad shape with everything else going on.

Also the fact that only one of the US patients required hospitalization shows that whatever the treatment protocol is, its not intensive making this even less likely to be some major killer flu...

Very good points and I agree - except that the strain could still very well be deadly. I realize that everyone who was infected in the US recovered, but 8 is nowhere near a decent sample size to start declaring it (relatively) harmless.

And the media will always blow things out of proportion. Public panic/anxiety turns to a need for knowledge, and people turn to their favorite news station(s) for this information, who in turn attempt to feed them as much as crap as possible to keep them coming back without making it blatantly obvious they're exaggerating.

First it was Cows who got in with Mad Cow, then the poultry with Avian Flu and now even the pigs have found a away. Now all we need is fish to unleash their cross genetic virii.

Revenge is whats for dinner. :p

First it was Cows who got in with Mad Cow, then the poultry with Avian Flu and now even the pigs have found a away. Now all we need is fish to unleash their cross genetic virii.

Revenge is whats for dinner. :p

Animals in "living things get ill" shocker.

also, the plural of virus is viruses.

I'll start working on my Zombie survival plan, where to get a good shotgun in the UK?

Just find a chav, ideally a baby mamma chavette, clad head-to-toe in "sports clothes", bling and with a ciggy in the mouth. Track said chavette back to council estate, then find the house on said estate that doesn't look like a complete wreck - there you'll find what you're looking for :)

this isn't an immigration issue, so hope the above post was in jest. if the CDC deems it necessary to enforce border restrictions, they'll say so to the government. And it shouldn't be an excuse to diss Mexico like it's some cess pool. Beceause perochan is probably aware of SARS and where it came from? Was that reason to start bashing Asia?

At any rate, SARS is a good analog. This one will also blow over soon enough.