Ridley Scotts "Prometheus" (2012)

Ridley Scott has wanted to "return to where the alien creatures were first found and explain how they were created"

=

Midichlorians :unsure:

Gemma Arterton for Alien Prequel?

.....and my interest in this plummets even further :(

(IMO she's the same as Sam Worthington - no discernible talent and inexplicably popular)

One of the bits of news buzzing this week concerns "The Disappearance of Alice Creed" star Gemma Arterton. UK outlet The Sunday Times reported yesterday (via Blastr) that she is scheduled to meet with "Alien" prequel director Ridley Scott about possibly taking a starring role in the two films.

I hate to be that guy who ruins the party, but it turns out that this isn't the case. MTV put in a call to Arterton's publicist, who quickly confirmed: "There's no truth to that." It would have actually been an inspired bit of casting; Arterton proved in "Creed" and "Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time" that she's a tough cookie. I would definitely buy her taking on -- and kicking the asses of -- Xenomorphs.

Source

I'm highly skeptical of this. Alien is one of the best horror/sci-fi films out there, but Ridley's recent output displays such a deterioration in artistic merit that it's hard to imagine this living up to the best of the series. All this talk about it being much faster-paced and shot in 3D only fuels the pessimism.

I agree to a point. I think Ridley Scott still makes great, entertaining films. Though certainly he hasn't made any that compete with some of his earlier stuff.

I don't need to see the origins of the Alien. I don't need to see what happened to the space jockey. Don't you get it, Ridley? Not knowing was part of why the first is so great. Oh well, I'll still watch it when it comes out.

I do feel the same; I enjoy the mystery. Having said that, I still think there's plenty of room for exciting story telling in opening up some of the mystery while still leaving it ambiguous. Hopefully he doesn't kill the mystery altogether.

He damn well better make it closer to the first film than Aliens, which, as entertaining as it is, is inferior to the first, and looks dated.

While I'd like to see some of the same pace of the first film, I disagree that Aliens is inferior. And, certainly, the first film looks a lot more dated to me. All too often the alien looks like a man in a suit, and some effects just look too goofy rather than horrifying. I find Aliens has held up a lot more.

The only things that date Alien are the computers (unavoidable) and the human-in-suit Alien (the film avoids it as much as it is possible). Aliens, while arguably having better looking Aliens in terms of movement, showed too much of them (unavoidable when you are making an action movie), showed how easy it was to kill one of them with guns, and had action-type dialogue and characters. Certainly not a bad thing when viewed as an action movie, but the first was something more. Aliens look dated now because we saw too much of the Aliens, and because the sets used were pretty awful (Alien had brilliant sets). I still think it's a terrific action movie, and I'm very happy that it was made, but there's no doubt in my mind that Alien is the superior movie, and a better Alien movie, as in a movie about the xenomorphs, than its sequel.

• 1 month later...

531394378.jpg&thumb_height=650

Noomi Rapace In Hunt For Ridley Scott's 3D 'Alien' Prequel

Now that Rooney Mara got the Lisbeth Salander role in The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, Emma Stone got the Gwen Stacy role in Spider-Man and Sandra Bullock is in talks for Alfonso Cuaron's Gravity, the next juicy female role is the lead in the Ridley Scott-directed 3D Alien prequel at 20th Century Fox. I'm told that the studio and Scott have had general meetings with a number of actresses. I've heard that list includes the studio's Wall Street 2 star Carey Mulligan and Abbie Cornish (Scott directed her in A Good Year). But another intriguing possibility I've heard more than once today is that Noomi Rapace also met and left a strong impression.

The actress, who played Lisbeth Salander in the original Swedish adaptation, met Scott and Fox before she signed on to co-star in the Sherlock Holmes sequel. I'm told that meetings are ongoing with cast and no decisions have been made, but I could see Rapace taking a Ripley-esque turn in space.

Damon Lindelof frigging rules. Reports are coming in that the co-creator of Lost has just turned in his script for the Untitled Alien Prequel for director Ridley Scott and the executives at 20th Century Fox love it. Why do they love it? Well, because Scott originally budgeted the film around $150 million and Lindelof?s script has a distinct lack of large action set pieces, thereby bringing that number down. Plus the script reportedly has a more PG-13 edge in terms of language and off camera violence - much like the original 1979 film. And finally, Natalie Portman has met with Scott?s team and is at the top of their list for the lead female role of ?a female Colonial Marine general.? Hit the jump for more on the upcoming project and why PG-13 isn?t necessarily a bad thing.

Vulture, once again, got the exclusive insider report on Fox?s reaction to Lindelof?s script. In addition to everything said above the jump, they talked to an insider who made it clear that a PG-13 Alien movie isn?t necessarily a bad thing:

The thinking is that if the original Alien were released today, minus the F-bombs, you could still get a PG-13. Alien is a very Jaws-ian movie: There?s no sex, and while there?s lots of violence, most of it is off-camera. Maybe you?d have to cut away from certain scenes two seconds earlier, but it could be done.

That?s certainly a good point. We already know that this film will be set about 35 years before Ripley and the Nostromo ever land on LV-426 and will explain the Space Jockey that the crew comes upon before John Hurt?s character Kane is implanted by the Face Hugger. But what we don?t know is exactly how many Aliens that will entail vs. how many humans and how many of each die. So if those numbers are lower, PG-13 could work right in line with the story.

Source

Natalie Portman could be a good cast.

PG-13.. not sure.. :\.

yea, I was thinking that too. I just hope Ridley doesn't fold and sacrifice stuff like language and violence to keep the money men happy. Unless the script is so good that one would forget about the toned down elements.

They should make it PG-17, i know Sigourney Weaver has expressed interest in another Aliens movie. This would be great if Ridley directed it

To be honest I don't want to see Ripley again. I feel her story has been told. And Ridley is directing both prequels.

Since we're playing the "who's in talks" game, Bloody Disgusting has exclusively learned of two more names interested in joining Ridley Scott's deep space horror Alien.

Both Anne Hathaway (Passengers) and James Franco (Rise of the Apes) could be suiting up for the prequel penned by "Lost" scripter Damon Lindelof.
Neither are signed on at this point, but you can add them to the long list of potential suiters including Natalie Portman, Noomi Rapace and Carey Mulligan, Twentieth Century Fox is working fast, so expect some official announcements in the coming weeks.

What's Playing website got their hands on the script for Ridley Scott's upcoming "Alien" prequel and has posted lots of spoiler-filled details about the movie. The article has since been taken down at the request of 20th Century Fox.

* The script tells of the space jockeys traveling from planet to planet and terraforming them. The process is essentially transforming a planet where living beings can exist.

* The aliens are used by the space jockeys (known as "Growers" in the script) in their terraforming process as some sort of biological tools. They usually don't develop into the creatures that we know, but do so during the latest effort.

* The space jockeys are holding two human slave farmers captive. They are named Fin and Karik and are forced (via mind control) to engage in sexual activity. (The twist: they're both male).

* The idea behind the man-on-man action is apparently that the growers want their human slaves to breed. They have no idea about human genders as they are a single sex race and so things get a little confused.

* The signature alien won't appear until the latter half of the film when it fully develops.

* There will be a spaceship crew, consisting of a black female named Oliver, similar to Vasquez (Jenette Goldstein) from "Aliens." And another female crew member named Truks, who Gemma Arterton (Clash of the Titans) is rumored to play.

* Ridley Scott has met with Lance Henriksen to appear in the film.

* The editor calls the film a hard science fiction, part psychological drama.

Source: worstpreviews

• 3 weeks later...
We have learned, via tweet from Henry South, a visual FX designer working on the Alien prequel, that production has officially begun!

Here is Henry's tweet:

Started work on alien prequel today!! Absolutely stunning. Worth waiting till late 2011 for peeps!

It has been reported that Ridley Scott will be returning to the franchise he began with the original film. The search continues to find the perfect leading lady after it was announced that the prequel would feature a new lead character, rather than the iconic Ripley, played by Sigourney Weaver.

* Ridley Scott has met with Lance Henriksen to appear in the film.

It's a Prequel hey? Unless he's gonna play somebody else than Bishop, this could be a discontinuity problem, since Bishop is supposed to be a newer model android than Ash in Alien.

And for a Prequel, he would be a much older Bishop!!! :)

• 2 weeks later...

It's a Prequel hey? Unless he's gonna play somebody else than Bishop, this could be a discontinuity problem, since Bishop is supposed to be a newer model android than Ash in Alien.

And for a Prequel, he would be a much older Bishop!!! :)

It could be something to do with the origin of the androids. The actor has played a human Bishop in AvP.

ummm.. wtf^? I don't think it fits at all. :\

haha. Well come on, if they are real, they are very early rough concepts. It's not like that's final CGI or anything.

Damon Lindelof frigging rules. Reports are coming in that the co-creator of Lost has just turned in his script for the Untitled Alien Prequel for director Ridley Scott and the executives at 20th Century Fox love it. Why do they love it? Well, because Scott originally budgeted the film around $150 million and Lindelof’s script has a distinct lack of large action set pieces, thereby bringing that number down. Plus the script reportedly has a more PG-13 edge in terms of language and off camera violence - much like the original 1979 film. And finally, Natalie Portman has met with Scott’s team and is at the top of their list for the lead female role of “a female Colonial Marine general.” Hit the jump for more on the upcoming project and why PG-13 isn’t necessarily a bad thing.

Vulture, once again, got the exclusive insider report on Fox’s reaction to Lindelof’s script. In addition to everything said above the jump, they talked to an insider who made it clear that a PG-13 Alien movie isn’t necessarily a bad thing:

The thinking is that if the original Alien were released today, minus the F-bombs, you could still get a PG-13. Alien is a very Jaws-ian movie: There’s no sex, and while there’s lots of violence, most of it is off-camera. Maybe you’d have to cut away from certain scenes two seconds earlier, but it could be done.

This above is EXACTLY why this film is going to stink, its being made with a cheaper budget in mind for under 18's.

Look that this quote "Maybe you’d have to cut away from certain scenes two seconds earlier" - i mean WTF.

Imagine if in the original you cut away 2 seconds earlier when the alien leaps out the pod and attaches itself to John Hurts face, only to be replaced by a muffled scream. I sure as hell wouldn't find that anywhere near as scary or memorable.

Or what about cutting away when it bursts out of his stomach to a bunch of shocked looking astronauts only to cut back to a dead man and a slightly fake looking alien atop a table slithering off into the corner.

Sorry - it just wouldn't work and one of the greatest scenes in Cinema would be on the cutting room floor!

It wouldn't be as scary and it sure as hell wouldn't be as memorable.

I can still see that image in my head, as clear as the day i first saw it and its all the better for it.

Give it to the studio that made moon - i guarantee they'd do a better job than this lot by the sound of it.

Although i do like the idea of the swedish lady from The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo as the lead, she's feisty all right.

• 2 weeks later...
There?s some big news on Ridley Scott?s two-part prequel to his 1979 film Alien. First up, time to kill off the rumor that the project has been delayed: Fox says that there is no delay. (The interesting reason for the rumor is after the break.)

But more important, a report says that the first film is called Paradise, and that cast sought by Ridley Scott includes Michael Fassbender and Michelle Yeoh. More info on the character details and plot of the film are also after the break. And note that there are possible spoilers in the info that follows.

First up: the title. Vulture does not explain any context for the title, but doesn?t refer to the film as Alien: Paradise or anything like that. Just Paradise. But the report does say,

We?re told that Paradise reboots the original Alien franchise, in that the story follows a group of space travelers who encounter a monstrous alien creature that picks them off, one-by-one

• 1 month later...
Deadline reports that the film once meant to be an Alien prequel has become something ?more original,? and that the Jon Spaihts draft that kicked things off has been reworked by Damon Lindelof and Ridley Scott into Prometheus. In addition to the part being played by Noomi Rapace (The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo) there is another big female role in the film, which is being circled by Charlize Theron and Angelina Jolie. Three major male roles have to be cast, too.

Here?s what Ridley scott has to say about the film:

While Alien was indeed the jumping off point for this project, out of the creative process evolved a new, grand mythology and universe in which this original story takes place. The keen fan will recognize strands of Alien?s DNA, so to speak, but the ideas tackled in this film are unique, large and provocative. I couldn?t be more pleased to have found the singular tale I?d been searching for, and finally return to this genre that?s so close to my heart.

http://www.slashfilm.com/ridley-scotts-alien-prequel-longer-alien-prequel-prometheus-starring-noomi-rapace/

Well that sucks, I was looking forward to them expanding on the Alien mythology. Looks like it has nothing to do with Alien now. :crazy:

We'll see when it arrives, but maybe it is a good thing to not do another Alien and instead do something else but with similar themes. Something like Pitch Black for example, which I though was really good. Because I feel Alien has been done, or rather overdone with the last 2+2 movies. But maybe we'll get surprised and get a good new Alien movie.

(And I hope we get another Riddick movie too sometime. I really like those two, but as the last one sort of bombed it's not likely)

(And I hope we get another Riddick movie too sometime. I really like those two, but as the last one sort of bombed it's not likely)

I believe its in development Vin Diseal posted loads of concept stuff on Facebook last year