What are you reading right now?

I don't usually post mine until the end of the month (when I post the pic of the months worth of reading, alongside a few notes), but I read this last night:

post-50796-12903363422766.jpg

And I gotta say - I totally, totally recommend it. It's the story of the World's Columbian Exposition of 1893 (more commonly known as the Chicago Worlds' Fair) and tells the story of the immense battle to transform effectively a swampland, into the White City, that would host the fair. It tells the story of the architects / designers / construction teams that defied logic to build it in such a quick time, as well as detailing some of the 'first' that occured there.

Running parrallel to those stories, is the story of H.H. Holmes - Americas "First" Serial killer, who used the boom that was occuring in Chicago in the runup to the Worlds Fair, to his advantage.

I'd highly, highly recommend it. It's based 100% on documented evidence - the author includes an index at the back, to show where everyline of 'dialogue' has been quoted from (i.e. letters from people), and it's a fascinating insight into history. I believe it's being adapted into a film recently - I know Leonardo DiCaprio has brought the rights, but I'd still recommend picking up the book.

I decided to check out some Warcraft lore. So far I've read Rise of the Horde and The Last Guardian, and now I am on Tides of Darkness.

Just finished The Well of Ascension by Brandon Sanderson, book 2 in the Mistborn trilogy. And I thought the first book rocked! Now I'm starting the third, The Hero of Ages.

Java for Programmers: Deitel Developer Series

by Paul J. Deitel - Deitel & Associates, Inc.; Harvey M. Deitel - Deitel & Associates, Inc.

Prentice Hall, 2009

Thanks right... some of us still own, & read, hardcopy books!! :D

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I picked up the Wheel of Time Book 13: Towers of Midnight with its 800 odd pages on a 7 day "Best Bets" loan from the local library. Usually you get a book for three weeks (renewable twice) but because it was considered new, I was only able to have it for one non-renewable week. At any rate I did it.

If you haven't read the first 12 books, let me catch you up quickly...

1ff36838ce9302096bbf68b4ff77769911e0e676.gif

I just finished the Traveler 3 book series which I enjoyed a lot. I decided to read the Hobbit again since it has been a while since I last read it. A friend of mine gave me an early chrismas present of the Girl with the dragon tattoo and apparently I have the other two to look forward to with that one next.

Well, it's the end of the year, so here's my list of books I've read in 2010

Disclaimer: I only started noting the books I was reading, in March, so it's more of a March - December list.

• James Ellroy - Blood on the Moon.
  • Ken Grimwood - Replay.
  • Jonathan Trigell - Boy A.
  • Steig Larsson - The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo.
  • Michael Connelly - The Concrete Blonde.
  • Mark Haddon - The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time.
  • Michael Connelly - The Last Coyote.
  • Brian Selznick - The Invention of Hugo Cabret
  • Mark Kermode - It?s Only a Movie.
  • Tim Hanford - The Undercover Economist.
  • Michael Connelly - The Poet.
  • J.K. Rowling - Harry Potter and the Philosophers Stone.
  • Douglas Coupland - Microserfs
  • J.K. Rowling - Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
  • Richard Saxon - Future for Sale.
  • J.K. Rowling - Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban.
  • Guillermo Del Toro & Chuck Hogan - The Stand.
  • J.K. Rowling - Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire.
  • George Orwell - 1984.
  • J.K. Rowling - Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix.
  • Michael Connelly - Blood Work.
  • William Gibson - Pattern Recognition.
  • J.K. Rowling - Harry Potter & The Deathly Hallows.
  • Chuck Palahniuk - Survivor.
  • Michael Connelly - Trunk Music.
  • Bryan Lee O?Malley - Scott Pilgrim Series.
  • William Gibson - Spook Country.
  • Michael Connelly - Angels Flight.
  • John Wray - Lowboy.
  • David Wolstencroft - Good News, Bad News.
  • JG Ballard - Millennium People.
  • Michael Connelly - Void Moon.
  • Stephen Fry - Moab is my Washpot.
  • Michael Connelly - A Darkness More Than Light
  • Dave Gorman - American Unchained.
  • Lee Child - Worth Dying For.
  • James May - How to land an A330 Airbus and other vital skills for the modern man.
  • Ian McEwan - Solar.
  • Michael Connelly -Crime Beat.
  • Derren Brown - Confessions of a Conjuror.
  • Michael Chabon - The Yiddish Policemen?s Union.
  • Richard Montanari - The Rosary Girls.
  • Michael Connelly - City of Bones.
  • Erik Larson - The Devil in the White City.
  • William Gibson - Zero History.
  • Richard Matheson - I am Legend.
  • Pitacus Lore - I am Number Four.
  • Michael Connelly - Chasing The Dime.
  • Raymond Chandler - The Big Sleep.
  • Dennis Lehane - A Drink Before The War.
  • Kevin Dean Anderson - Night of the Living Trekkies.
  • Kazuo Ishiguro - Never Let Me Go.
  • Richard Castle - Heat Wave.
  • H.G. Wells - The Time Machine.
  • Martin Booth - A Quiet Gentleman | The American.

^impressive list

I've just started The Dark Tower V

The problem with the books I've read this year, is that the vast majority of them, I'd already read. I definitely didn't read enough 'new' books, or try out authors I wasn't familiar with. I've knocked up a list of around 40 books that I haven't read yet, that are always being recommended to me - the aim for 2011, is that for every book I re-read (I'm finishing off Michael Connellys' back catalogue), I want to read a 'new book'.

Incidentially, The Dark Tower series is on my 'Must Read' list, but more likely than not, it'll be 2012 before I get to 'em :(

Something I've always wanted to read and am finally finding I have the patience and dedication to do so: The Lord of the Rings. Just nearing the end of Fellowship now.

The problem with the books I've read this year, is that the vast majority of them, I'd already read. I definitely didn't read enough 'new' books, or try out authors I wasn't familiar with. I've knocked up a list of around 40 books that I haven't read yet, that are always being recommended to me - the aim for 2011, is that for every book I re-read (I'm finishing off Michael Connellys' back catalogue), I want to read a 'new book'.

Incidentially, The Dark Tower series is on my 'Must Read' list, but more likely than not, it'll be 2012 before I get to 'em :(

I just got my Nook Color and that's the first book I've got :) I want to finish all the books, before the movies / series start coming out.