Aion Online

Let's face it... It's going to happen eventually. Wow can't go forever.

Of course. Star Wars, Star Trek and Blizzards own new MMO may top it but this won't.

They did Lineage 2 which did alright here and amazing in Korea

Which is exactly how this will do.

Which is exactly how this will do.

And why do you say that?

I'm just curious why the WoW addicts think every single game around it will fail. There are dozens of successful MMO's out there however, you ask a WoW addict and they'll say "WoW is the only successful MMO'

I'm just curious why the WoW addicts think every single game around it will fail. There are dozens of successful MMO's out there however, you ask a WoW addict and they'll say "WoW is the only successful MMO'

Ok Captain Assumption.

Game looks cool and all, but it's definately no wow killer.. There are only 2 games coming out in the distant future that have potential of killing WoW and thats:

APB and ToR.

APR and ToR? I'm not sure what they are.

APR and ToR? I'm not sure what they are. I'm sure you can just type it out for us guys who don't know better.

Game looks cool and all, but it's definately no wow killer.. There are only 2 games coming out in the distant future that have potential of killing WoW and thats:

APB and ToR.

I expect Global Agenda to have quite the market share. I think the WoW-killer will be a collection of games rather than just one. A game is old as WoW will die just like Ultima and Everquest and all the other giant mmos did before it.

APR and ToR? I'm not sure what they are.

APR and ToR? I'm not sure what they are. I'm sure you can just type it out for us guys who don't know better.

APB - All Points Bulletin

ToR - Star Wars: The Old Republic

I can't see APB stealing WoW's players they are so far apart from each other both terms of gameplay but also setting it's unreal. It certainly looks nice but I'm not holding my breath.

SW:ToR I'm hesitant to get hyped about. I know it's Bioware but it's their first MMO and some of the details make me scratch my head.

I guess since I've been playing MMOs for 11 years now I'm getting skeptical. :p

dpnaihzsrq.jpg

This is better than WoW's graphics, in your opinion ?

Thats a really old screenshot, and doesn't do the game justice unless it is at max settings at a high res.

FFXI is actually quite nice with everything on highest, granted it is still not that great, but a lot better then what that blurry SS makes it out to be.

I agree that screenshot looks HORRENDOUS!! My Final Fantasy looked MUCH better than that.. And I bought it the first day it came out.

But again, I really don't see Aion doing anything big in the US, but they may do great in Korea. The biggest problem I see right now is, EVERYONE wants to get in on Blizzard's billion dollar success, the market is getting so saturated with mmo's now, with most being free, that no one will be a clear "WoW killer". Instead it's going to be a bunch of different games taking some people here and there, and wow's numbers will finally die out, and I forsee a bunch of mmo's kinda being on par together. With the clear "TOP" MMO being only ahead of the others by 1-2 million people max.

World of Warcraft

Star Wars: The Old Republic

Unannounced Blizz MMO

Star Trek

some new mmo

some new mmo

etc.etc.

All Korean MMOs are the same. All have a lack of depth, all use the same graphics and style, and all have the same interface.

I'm just curious if you've been following Aion and seen some of their late game dungeons and pvp? I don't want to come off as an Aion fanboy but it definitely does not play or look like any other generic korean mmo.

Just for him to say 'all Korean MMOs are the same' goes to show the type of guy this is.

Since it is a Korean game it could be the same, but being a major release might mean that they've taken steps to avoid making this 'another Korean MMO'.

To be fair I just googled FF online and looked for the first recognizeable image of the game, so it may not do it justice, but point stands - the graphics look practically the same (not quality wise, just... the same type), like WoW.

I also have FF and I have played it for a while, after 2 hours of "playing" it, my idea of fun was slashing my wrists and run around town screaming I have AIDS... oh well.

Well, it's just my opinion, I'm not saying that I'm right or you're wrong, just that WoW is better than the rest of them and always will be - proof would be the money they're swimming in.

WoW is swimming in a ton of money STILL though, because we have no alternative. I mean look at my post above, we have a TON of MMO's that are about to flood the market, which will finally chop WOW down a couple of Million or so.

Blizzard did it right, they made an OUTSTANDING MMO. Hands down I applaud them, but they have gotten to big for their britches now, and the expansions have been horrible because of it. No one wants to leave yet because of time invested and there is no real alternative yet.

WoW is swimming in a ton of money STILL though, because we have no alternative. I mean look at my post above, we have a TON of MMO's that are about to flood the market, which will finally chop WOW down a couple of Million or so.

Blizzard did it right, they made an OUTSTANDING MMO. Hands down I applaud them, but they have gotten to big for their britches now, and the expansions have been horrible because of it. No one wants to leave yet because of time invested and there is no real alternative yet.

A tonne of MMOs? Most likely, but only 1 or 2 with the budget and the skills to take on Blizzard. A MMO is a constantly evolving creature. Blizzard might even pinch their ideas the way they did with WAR.

WoTLK was a brilliant expansion, TBC was awful though. I agree that most won't leave because of time invested and the lack of polish on other mmos.

Bingo. WoW should retire while their ahead.

Wow, I almost choked on my drink reading that. They are a company. A gaming company, but a company no less with the interest of making money. They've done a marvelous job with WotLK and are by far not finished with WoW. I'd quite possibly predict another 2 expansions before they finally move on if you ask me. They simply have too much time invested in their own game to just give it up now. WotLK also proved though that the graphics of the game can surely be enhanced further than we imagined. Updating certain models and textures could surely give the game quite a fresher look in the future.

Still, the game pushes our computers pretty hard already, especially when we get into portions of the game where you have a massive amount of people surrounding each other, casting spells, with all their glowy unique weapons and armor...

As for Aion Online though, I'm really looking forward to it. Been a while since a decent MMO has come out. Many of the MMOs out today run the stupid Lineage II engine or whatever. I mean, it's easy to spot too with the flashy spells, similar looking brown UI, red and blue health/mana, the nameplates, and so forth. It'd be nice to see more unique spells as well as a unique looking UI. Overall, that's what has me playing WoW. WAR too had some nice spell features and, even though they copied WoW in many aspects of the UI, it has some very very nice features along with it and didn't really require modding at all compared to WoW...

Blah, said more than I wanted. I just hope Aion Online has something new and unique to bring to the table is all. :)

You seem to think that WoW is a "has been", it's still alive and kickin'. The money is still coming in and they have plenty of users that will keep a steady income to Blizzard's deep pockets.

WoW isn't going anywhere.

By the way, there are plenty alternatives to WoW; GW, FF, EQ (1 & 2), AoC, Warhammer and others.. of course you could say that you don't like them, but they are alternatives.

MMO's come out all the time, they don't have a particular season that they pop out like mushrooms after rain, it's nothing that WoW should worry about - they'll come.. they'll go.

It's because WoW has everything a player needs, you'd need something really special to take a good chuck of users from WoW to your game.

You seem to think that WoW is a "has been", it's still alive and kickin'. The money is still coming in and they have plenty of users that will keep a steady income to Blizzard's deep pockets.

WoW isn't going anywhere.

By the way, there are plenty alternatives to WoW; GW, FF, EQ (1 & 2), AoC, Warhammer and others.. of course you could say that you don't like them, but they are alternatives.

MMO's come out all the time, they don't have a particular season that they pop out like mushrooms after rain, it's nothing that WoW should worry about - they'll come.. they'll go.

It's because WoW has everything a player needs, you'd need something really special to take a good chuck of users from WoW to your game.

the problem is that funding for these games runs out, and hte release gets rushed

you only get 1 first impression and when ppl see they get less with a new game rather than WoW, then they switch back

Okay, I couldn't even be bothered to screw with Final Fantasy XI and I really did try. Feel like I wasted my money though. Guild Wars is still alive and kicking, but I wish I could alternate mouse keybindings. Still nice though. EQ I won't comment on as I don't know enough about it (or care). AoC is practically dead. Warhammer is pretty damn awesome, but could still use quite a bit of work...

the problem is that funding for these games runs out, and hte release gets rushed

you only get 1 first impression and when ppl see they get less with a new game rather than WoW, then they switch back

Aion is using the same (but heavily modified) engine that was made for Far Cry. In the first "beta" we had two weeks ago it ran absolutely flawless. We're talking several thousand players in the starter area and 0 lag. No other mmo I've played can boast to do that. I think that's a pretty darn good first impression and a lot of other people will tell you the same.

Sure the localization wasn't done yet, but it is after all still a beta.

So isn't this weekend beta weekend again fro Aion Online?

If so where can I sign up for the beta and/or download the game?

It is smeltn. I thunk it started about 15 minutes ago but I'm stuck at work. If you preordered then you can play the beta, otherwise you can't.