Windows 7 UK pre order

Back in stock on the Microsoft page now, better get it while it lasts :p

I can't get into the store.

Dear Customer,

due to the start of the Microsoft Windows 7 presale offer and the associated higher volume of visitors on our site, it is possible that you are now experiencing difficulties reaching the Microsoft Store site. We kindly ask you to try again at a later time.

Thank you for your understanding.

Your Microsoft Store Team

Just to be 100% sure - On Amazon it currently says you need Windows XP / Vista, as part of the system requirements to buy Home Premium - is that definitely a typo, i.e. am I right in thinking I can back-up my files from my current machine, wipe the hdd, and install Seven from scratch? And that all I'll need, aside from the Seven DVD, is a copy of Firefox on a USB Drive?

I can't get into the store.

Yeah it's pretty overloaded, i guess they may have some kind of invisble queue so those who got in still can access the site.

They don't make it easier by all the "Verified by Vista"-crap they've put in, i apparently used it once and i had to dig pretty deep in my memory to get the password because for some reason i figured "Monkey" was an accurate hint for a password, which had, absolutely, nothing to do with monkeys :p

But i finally got through, so i'm eagerly awaiting the download :D

Just to be 100% sure - On Amazon it currently says you need Windows XP / Vista, as part of the system requirements to buy Home Premium - is that definitely a typo, i.e. am I right in thinking I can back-up my files from my current machine, wipe the hdd, and install Seven from scratch? And that all I'll need, aside from the Seven DVD, is a copy of Firefox on a USB Drive?

Well there is no Upgrade version so i don't see how that should be possible, the only upgrade versions are if you purchase OEM copies of Windows Vista at participating retailers.

Amazon.co.uk have sold out of the Home Premium, and they got 850 of the Professional left.

Just ordered Pro from ebuyer and 3x Home Premium from amazon :-)

Seems most of this Promo offer stock is gonna be gone before the end of the day

Yup, that's correct.

Yeah it's pretty overloaded, i guess they may have some kind of invisble queue so those who got in still can access the site.

They don't make it easier by all the "Verified by Vista"-crap they've put in, i apparently used it once and i had to dig pretty deep in my memory to get the password because for some reason i figured "Monkey" was an accurate hint for a password, which had, absolutely, nothing to do with monkeys :p

But i finally got through, so i'm eagerly awaiting the download :D

Well there is no Upgrade version so i don't see how that should be possible, the only upgrade versions are if you purchase OEM copies of Windows Vista at participating retailers.

That's what I thought, and yet here's what's on the page:

post-50796-1247647028.jpg

Yup, that's correct.

That's cool - although with all the confusion I seem to have missed out on Amazon, I'll have to look somewhere else :)

That's what I thought, and yet here's what's on the page:

post-50796-1247647028.jpg

That's cool - although with all the confusion I seem to have missed out on Amazon, I'll have to look somewhere else :)

Well that's just because Amazon have a stupid way of putting in system requirements, i wouldn't be worried.

Well that's just because Amazon have a stupid way of putting in system requirements, i wouldn't be worried.

lol - that's kinda what I thought - I figured if the fine tech folks on Neowin say I'll be alright, then given y'all know waay more than me, I figured I'd be alright :) Just gotta wait for it to arrive now in the post :)

Will Amazon.co.uk be getting more in stock?

Not sure, I'm guessing that's upto Microsoft. They have probably pre-allocated a number of units to each retailer and once it's gone it's gone.

But I reckon Microsoft will play nice and make more available between now and the 9th August

10:00am UPDATE:

Amazon.co.uk - Home Premium is available again, lol

Edited by hinz

Not sure, I'm guessing that's upto Microsoft. They have probably pre-allocated a number of units to each retailer and once it's gone it's gone.

But I reckon Microsoft will play nice and make more available between now and the 9th August

The fact that it's limited supply really annoys me, i can understand the time-constraints and the per-customer limits, but i can't understand why they have a limited supply, the retail market is fairly limited anyways.

I have contacted Microsoft UK about this. Just waiting to write a story so will let you know how many are available once they get back to me.

Thanks

I somehow expected it to be cheaper than this.. I would have expected about ?99 for Professional to be the RRP?:((

I have contacted Microsoft UK about this. Just waiting to write a story so will let you know how many are available once they get back to me.

Thanks

Can you ask them why they think the Professional MSRP should be higher than the Ultimate one? :p

I hope this special offer increase sales by a lot, maybe it could be viable as an alternative pricing model, Home Premium (A pretty nice OS for home usage) for ?49.99, Professional for ?99.99 and then Ultimate for maybe ?174.99 or ?149.99, but for that pricing they should discontinue upgrades completely.

I think it could be a nice i:pa :p

I ordered 2 off Professional. I guess on the install I have a choice of 32 bit or 64 bit install.

Max amount you can order is 3 I guess at amazon.

I somehow expected it to be cheaper than this.. I would have expected about ?99 for Professional to be the RRP?:((

Amazon.co.uk are selling pre-orders of Professional for ?89.9:):) I just ordered mine.

Er no don't make stuff up.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/d...2989&sr=1-2

Amazon only charge when they are about to dispatch.

Oh, I apologize then :blushing: I would have thought a reason for selling Windows 7 at such a low price was that they (Amazon and Microsoft) could gain interest from that money in the meantime, but that obviously isn't the case. I should have checked. Apologies again.

Edited by lcg

Oh, I apologize then :blushing: I would have thought a reason for selling Windows 7 at such a low price was that they (Amazon and Microsoft) could gain interest from that money in the meantime, but that obviously isn't the case. I should have checked. Apologies again.

I can't think of any companies in the UK that charge you when you preorder. I believe it's different in the US, where you usually put down a deposit to secure your copy (this includes games as well).

They're not selling it cheaper now so they can gain financial interest...they're doing it so that 1) people who would have been reluctant to pay ?80 or ?150 decide to buy it now for ?50 (like me), and 2) it creates a buzz and raises awareness about it...so more people buy it when it actually comes out because of word of mouth.

Don't forget...typically only 5% of Windows users buy a retail copy. The other 95% have Windows included when they buy their PC (OEM).

I can't think of any companies in the UK that charge you when you preorder. I believe it's different in the US, where you usually put down a deposit to secure your copy (this includes games as well).

They're not selling it cheaper now so they can gain financial interest...they're doing it so that 1) people who would have been reluctant to pay ?80 or ?150 decide to buy it now for ?50 (like me), and 2) it creates a buzz and raises awareness about it...so more people buy it when it actually comes out because of word of mouth.

Don't forget...typically only 5% of Windows users buy a retail copy. The other 95% have Windows included when they buy their PC (OEM).

Ah, okay, I understand now. Thanks Bhav.

By the way, can I easily cancel a pre-order? I'm thinking of ordering Professional instead of Home Premium, and I've already ordered Home Premium.

Ah, okay, I understand now. Thanks Bhav.

By the way, can I easily cancel a pre-order? I'm thinking of ordering Professional instead of Home Premium, and I've already ordered Home Premium.

Well if you ordered from Amazon then yep...you can cancel until a few days before release (once it starts the dispatch process you can't cancel it).

If you want to switch to Pro I'd recommend you do that now