Windows 7 UK pre order

Is this 32bit, 64bit or both (Amazon UK doesn't state this)?

I think Paul Thurrot of WinSupersite said that you get both, on two separate discs.

Would be nice to see how much stocks last indicates - japan, pop 127 million, had 30,000 copies. Per capita that'd equate to around 15000 copies for the uk.

That'd suck.

well all i can say is if you can get it cheap then do so and while you are then spare a thought for us poor NZ'ers and OZies who wont be so lucky, I just got confirmation from MS-NZ that it will not be happening here ever and the only way to get it cheap is to buy a new computer with Vista home premium or better installed and use the accompanying voucher, Well F U MS i dont want to by a new computer and i most certainly wont ever be buying vista any version and if it's going to cost me an arm and leg then guess what i'll just be forced to become a pirate, and before anyone jumps on me and says why dont you use linux well it's because i have and it sucked so i wont be going back to it

It comes with both, you install either one.

Thanks.

BTW: I know I can't physically do XP/Vista upgrade with this E version but do you confirm it is still required to have XP/Vista license to be eligible for this offer? I'm confused because some people say only full versions will be sold in EU and from what I've read @MS UK (LINK) I'm judging this really is an upgrade in the sense you need to have XP or Vista.

Amazon UK doesn't say a word this is an upgrade, neither they say you need XP or Vista. Or maybe I'm missing something.

Edited by tom5

I can't think of any companies in the UK that charge you when you preorder. I believe it's different in the US, where you usually put down a deposit to secure your copy (this includes games as well).

They're not selling it cheaper now so they can gain financial interest...they're doing it so that 1) people who would have been reluctant to pay ?80 or ?150 decide to buy it now for ?50 (like me), and 2) it creates a buzz and raises awareness about it...so more people buy it when it actually comes out because of word of mouth.

Don't forget...typically only 5% of Windows users buy a retail copy. The other 95% have Windows included when they buy their PC (OEM).

statement 1(They're not selling it cheaper now so they can gain financial interest...they're doing it so that 1) people who would have been reluctant to pay ?80 or ?150 decide to buy it now for ?50) may have had some truth to it if and only if it had been world wide this not being the case then i highly doubt it has anything to do with that

Would be nice to see how much stocks last indicates - japan, pop 127 million, had 30,000 copies. Per capita that'd equate to around 15000 copies for the uk.

That'd suck.

I doubt that's how they're doing it, customer-base is probably more relevant.

statement 1(They're not selling it cheaper now so they can gain financial interest...they're doing it so that 1) people who would have been reluctant to pay ?80 or ?150 decide to buy it now for ?50) may have had some truth to it if and only if it had been world wide this not being the case then i highly doubt it has anything to do with that

Why does it have to be worldwide?? The US and UK, France and Germany are their largest markets. They don'want/i> to give Windows 7 away for ?50 to the entire global market. They don't need to. Only offering it to a restricted group, and only in "limited supplies", is a marketing ploy to get other people interested...most of whom will pay the higher pricewants them to pay.

And as I've mentioned already...only 5% of Windows users have purchased a retail copy. The other 95% get it bundled with their computer, so this offer is irrelevant to millions of people anyway. MS is just getting its (Windows 7) foot in the door.

Before I pre-order... Can I install Windows 7 E without any operating system installed?

So the computer will boot up from the Windows 7 DVD.

Yes. Sure.

Yes. Sure.

Infact that's the only thing you can :p

You can't upgrade any existing Windows installation, it HAS to be a clean install every time.

Amazon.co.uk are selling pre-orders of Professional for ?89.99:)) I just ordered mine.

?89.97 I too made that mistake.

I decided to try out some apps that used to crash bad in vista, even under compatibility mode and they work a treat.

I am glad I have reserved professional.

Shame it's in a blue box, would look better in green.

Guys, amazon is charging the least:

Windows 7 Home Premium E - ?44.97

Windows 7 Professional E - ?89.97

These E versions dont come with IE8 pre-installed, you have to download it off Windows Update. These versions are RETAIL FULL verisons not crappy upgrade versions that were on offer about 2 weeks ago.

Edited by torrentthief

These E versions dont come with IE8 pre-installed, you have to download it off Windows Update. These versions are RETAIL FULL verisons not crappy upgrade versions that were on offer about 2 weeks ago.

So why do they say @Microsoft UK Webiste:

"How do I know if I am eligible for this offer?

To be eligible for the offer, you need to be running a genuine copy of the Windows XP or Windows Vista operating systems."

http://www.microsoft.com/uk/windows/buy/of...-order-faq.aspx

-This means clearly for me it's a kind of an upgrade, not the full version. The only difference is you can't perform such an upgrade from within XP or Vista. Or is there a mistake at the website? Or maybe I'm getting it wrong...

To be eligible for the offer, you need to be running a genuine copy of the Windows XP or Windows Vista operating systems."

-This means clearly for me it's a kind of an upgrade, not the full version. The only difference is you can't perform such an upgrade from within XP or Vista. Or is there a mistake at the website? Or maybe I'm getting it wrong...

I think that site is from the offer that started 1 week ago where you could buy upgrade versions for this price.

Amazon, play.com and pcworld.co.uk dont mention a requirement of xp or vista anywhere, these are full version discs not upgrade discs like in the previous offer.

Must be a mistake.

The only upgrade versions that exists are the eligible OEM vendors, other than that there's no upgrade because of Windows 7 E, Microsoft eventually caved in to providing a better pricing for europe due to this.

Must be a mistake.

The only upgrade versions that exists are the eligible OEM vendors, other than that there's no upgrade because of Windows 7 E, Microsoft eventually caved in to providing a better pricing for europe due to this.

I hope so but there's also a possibility that it is true and MS wants only people having XP/Vista to engage in this offer. Quite confusing :)

as i said the link you gave was for the previous offer which was for a similar price but they were upgrade versions not full versions like these. Overclockers.co.uk ran the old offer and many other places but after google annoucned the FREE google OS it looks like MS decided to fight back by selling full retail pre-orders for a very cheap price for a limited period.

if they were upgrade copies there would be loads of info on each of those sites i named but there isn't, this is a new offer:)

So aside from the XP Compatibility mode, and the ability to join a doman, there aren't any significant differences between Home Premium, and the Professional version? If so me thinks I'll head over to Amazon and order the Home Premium version.

It won't be of interest to *that* many people but:

Maximum RAM:

64-bit Windows 7 Home Premium: 16GB

64-bit Windows 7 Professional: 192GB

Pre-ordered my copy of Home Premium from Amazon for a measly price of ?44.97. ^^