Playstation 3 Slim spotted in the wild?

http://www.game.co.uk/lowdown.aspx?lid=706...opnav-_-bundles

GAME are doing crazy insane deals.

80GB w/ CoD4, Fight Night Round 4, Ghostbusters and Infamous - ?349

80GB w/ Ghostbusters, Ghosbusters Blu-Ray Movie and KZ2 - ?310

80GB w/ Infamous and Killzone 2 - ?299

and more...

It's happening, guarante:p :p

Those ?299 bundles are sweet! Save you ?70.

Sony PlayStation 3 80GB Console with Infamous and Little Big Planet

Sony PlayStation 3 80GB Console with Infamous and Killzone 2

Sony PlayStation 3 80GB Console with Infamous and Motorstorm 2

Sony PlayStation 3 80GB Console with Infamous and Ghostbusters

It looks like HMV are also doing similar (albeit not as great) deals

http://hmv.com/hmvweb/navigate.do?ctx=344;...soles#anchorPS3

As are gamestation:

http://www.gamestation.co.uk/PS3/Hardware/HardwareBundle/

As are best buy in the US (although, I'm not sure how long these deals have been around)...

http://www.bestbuy.com/site//olspage.jsp?i...p;type=category

To be honest it doesn't look that much slimmer to me and its ugly as hell, i sure hope that's a prototype or something.

On another note though if they sell it for a decent price i might be convinced to buy one lol.

Does seem like a rush-job, isn't exactly a looker.

Reminds me so much of a cheap knock-off product like the PolyStation, instead of an official Sony product.

Still, PSP Go for $249 or a PS3 Slim for $279. I think the choice is easy...in that case a $299 price tag seems more realistic I guess.

I am betting they wont even do a price cut. Remember their justification for the psp go's stupidly high price tag is just because its new we price it at $249. The slim ps3 (if its real) will phail for 2 reasons. One is its fugly on an epic scale and two they will be dumb and keep it at the same existing price point in an attempt to get some profit out of the system until the old ps3s are totally phased out. Then we will see the price change.

I am betting they wont even do a price cut. Remember their justification for the psp go's stupidly high price tag is just because its new we price it at $249. The slim ps3 (if its real) will phail for 2 reasons. One is its fugly on an epic scale and two they will be dumb and keep it at the same existing price point in an attempt to get some profit out of the system until the old ps3s are totally phased out. Then we will see the price change.

Uhh good luck with that, retailers are already drying up in some places (no 80GB left), and those that aren't are offering 2-3 games with the system at it's current RRP to shift stock.

They aren't supplying a stock of 80GB PS3s to retailers any more (link posted earlier in this topic), and we still have a month until the games convention that the slim is rumoured to be announced at.

Well if that's the case then the slim wont sell and Sony will just be throwing away more money lol, because who's going to buy a slim for the same price as the old ps3 is going for now.

So... here it goes...

I'm not saying there wasn't one in Greenhills. It's possible for it to resurface this week in that store owned by that indian guy who last bought it.

We went to the original store where the slim PS3 was displayed and talked to the guy whom I think owns the stall (he's the same guy in the video).

Here are the things he said:

* unit was bought from some dude who got the unit from the US.

* there are two units but only one unit was for sale (the one he got).

* it was sold to him because it cannot be modded (LOL).

* they tested a PS3 game (Unreal Tournament III) and it worked.

* they tested an unknown (not bootlegged) PS2 game from an unknown region, the PS3 detected the disc, it didn't work. SUCKS!

* hard drive slot is underneath when placed horizontally.

* slim PS3 cannot be placed vertically without some sort of a stand unlike the fat one.

* he got it for 12K PhP.

* PSU is internal.

* there was some sort of packaging but it's not a retail box.

* it came with the necessary cables and a DS3.

* he sold the unit to an indian fellow who has a game store in Bridgeway for 22K PhP.

* he said the indian dude was planning on creating a customized box for it (I guess for it to look like something that is being sold in retail).

* slim PS3 is almost the same size as the fat PS2.

* he's unaware of the firmware installed.

* it's possible for him to get another unit next month.

* when asked about any contact information of the dude that sold the unit to him, he declined giving it.

Okay... I don't believe everything he said but I've got a gut feeling the slim PS3 that he got is real. It's possible he's only covering his tracks.

Then we went to the store of that indian guy but he's nowhere to be found. The slim PS3 is nowhere to be found as well. But I did talk to one of his employees.

* she confirmed her boss got one yesterday.

* it's not in the store.

The employee was hesitant in answering my questions. I don't know why. LOL

Anyway, it's up to you guys if you want to believe the rumor. Sorry for making you guys expect some good news. BTW, the place where the slim PS3 was sold... there were no game console knock offs on sight. I mean even the other stores don't sell knock offs. Some stores are even selling fat PS3s and Xbox 360s. But most of the stores are selling PSPs and mobile phones. We tried checking the other stores for the slim but to no avail.

I'm starting to hate that indian guy for buying the slim PS3 and for not showing the world that it works.

If you guys have questions, feel free to ask.

And yeah... we suck! :rofl:

^

Meh, you only beat me because of typos and me summarising it. ;)

The guys from PinoyPS, jsnepo and doy, who went to investigate the PS3 Slim video posted what they found out.

In summary they couldn't find the PS3, but the person who they spoke to is definitely the guy in the video who sold it. He sold it to the owner of a stall nearby who intends to make fake packaging for it and resell it (as it had none). Apparently it still has a HDD bay, requires a stand in order to sit vertically (like the PS2 slim) and has an internal PSU. It's slightly smaller than the fat PS2 model, was tested with UT3 and works fine, but does not play PS2 games though.

Now they're going to stake out the store that has it and hope it goes on sale repackaged. :p

The more I look at it, the more I like it. It's simple, won't be a fingerprint magnet, and is a hell of a lot smaller (and should be cheaper...eventually). The ONLY thing i'm surprised about is using PS3 instead of PlayStation 3 but then again, when you hear about the console, it's referred to as the 'PS3' so me personally, I'm excited as hell.

The more I look at it, the more I like it. It's simple, won't be a fingerprint magnet, and is a hell of a lot smaller (and should be cheaper...eventually). The ONLY thing i'm surprised about is using PS3 instead of PlayStation 3 but then again, when you hear about the console, it's referred to as the 'PS3' so me personally, I'm excited as hell.

They've been using the PS3 brand for quite a while, and have used PSOne/PS2 in the past. The PS3 brand is on PS3 games in red and black on the side of the case (at least here in the UK).

Going Bundle crazy I see.

What do you speculate is the ETA of the PS3 Slim ?

GDC is September, TGS is October. Too far away or just right ?

Gamescom next month (19th-21st I think), biggest European Games event.

Gamescom next month (19th-21st I think), biggest European Games event.

I'm expecting Gamescom as well. I wouldn't be surprised if they're already talking to developers/publishers at the Develop conference in Brighton (and to tell them to stop bitching! :p), and probably others more privately. I mean, it's nothing new in the PS3, but I'm guessing they need the reassurance it's really coming.

EDIT: Actually, I'm going to call it coming out at GDC Europe, which is also in August, but at 17-19 instead of 19-23. Presumably, they'll also do it on the 17th - in an attempt to undercut anybody else's big news.

EDIT: Okay, I'll take that back - apparently Sony aren't coming to GDC Europe...

Does seem like a rush-job, isn't exactly a looker.

Reminds me so much of a cheap knock-off product like the PolyStation, instead of an official Sony product.

i think that sony is taking the overpricing complaints to heart... they arent going to another nice-looking console because its considered as uncecessary cost, so theyre going for the cheap looks

It looks quite nice I think. Definitely different from the original. The cheap plastic and the actual buttons are to be expected I guess if they want to compete with the 360.

i think that sony is taking the overpricing complaints to heart... they arent going to another nice-looking console because its considered as uncecessary cost, so theyre going for the cheap looks

Cheap looks with a similar price tag, yeah that'll fool the buyers :laugh:

Some detective work...

30u8myu.jpg

That opening marked in red is for the network cable, and those inputs are 1cm high. So you can come up with your own estimate..I came up with anything from 4.9cm to 5.6cm depending on assumptions I made in measuring the height of the input in the picture (which is difficult to do accurately because it's blurry)..add in some uncertainty given the slight rotation of the box, and I'll stick to 5-6cm :p

By comparison a regular PS3 is I think 9.8cm thick, a PS2 7.8cm.

Looks like it isn't taking THAT much off the length of the PS3, this was an old estimate hacked up from the leaked box art...

thinps3.jpg

However it seems to be pretty thin.

2vs3o1h.jpg

Would look pretty sweet, but matte black is always going to look cheap... As long as Sony make it JET black though, not the charcoal black the 360 is.

About the same size as a PS2 fat?? Wtf thats not exactly small! Sorry but what is the point of a *slighty* smaller version?

15q25pw.jpg

PS2 is slightly smaller in height than a 360.

But you're forgetting what I just posted above, the width

I came up with anything from 4.9cm to 5.6cm (PS3 Slim)

By comparison a regular PS3 is I think 9.8cm thick, a PS2 7.8cm.

You can see in the video if the video is the real thing that it's thin

30u8myu.jpg

And if you're still complaining what's the point, the price is the point. It's the easiest way for Sony to slash prices, redesign the whole console with new internals.

edit: Here's a rough sense of scale

23vmah1.jpg

(obviously height only considered, not width)

Edited by Audioboxer

I think it looks quite cool in that picture. Most of the PS3 bulk is the massive cooling solution and getting the Cell down to 45nm must of given them the option to redesign the whole thing and shrink it otherwise they would be wasting money going overboard with the case size, cooling and components.

Would look pretty sweet, but matte black is always going to look cheap... As long as Sony make it JET black though, not the charcoal black the 360 is.

Says you :p

I think matte black looks loads better than shiny black. The color is just about the ONLY reason I bought the 360 Elite as my Premium was working fine :laugh: