Playstation 3 Slim spotted in the wild?

I just realised what nobody's mentioned yet (I think); this is Sony's chance to include the HDMI port that could handle bitstreaming the HD audio formats. They've always said it was a hardware constraint, so now they should address that.

I just realised what nobody's mentioned yet (I think); this is Sony's chance to include the HDMI port that could handle bitstreaming the HD audio formats. They've always said it was a hardware constraint, so now they should address that.

I can't see it costing much more than the current HDMI port used on PS3's so I'm hoping so.

They would need to change the chip, most likely won't happen as they've enabled it to decode to PCM and will probably deem that suitable enough...

Apparently the Si9132 chip in the PS3 cannot transmit TrueHD/DTS-HDMA bitstream and its pair released at the same time - the Si9133 chip - cannot receive it. Note that PS3 may at some point be able to decode DTS-HDMA to PCM, but there are no plans for this announced at this time.

Silicon Image has released two new chips that support passing of nextgen audio codecs bitstream via HDMI 1.3 - the Si9134 (for players) and Si9135 (for receivers).

Ah, it's the chip. I don't remember if I knew that, but I obviously forgot if I did. Still, change the chip already. ;)

And the PS3 can already decode DTS-MA, can't it? When is that blurb from?

Walmart starting to have sales on current stock of PS3's:

$499 PlayStation 3 160GB Bonus with..

-Killzone 2

-Uncharted: Drakes Fortune

-LittleBIGPlanet

-Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles Season 1 Blu-Ray

PS3160bundle.jpg

IGN On PS3 Slim: ?We Have One For Real?

It?s hard to tell whether IGN were either just trying to be funny or are actually really daft, because they might have just put months of speculation to rest by revealing that not only is the PS3 Slim real, but they actually have one in the office. IGN might well be hurrying to re-publish their latest edition of their podcast, but VG247?s Patrick Garratt might have already spoiled the party. The transcript of the bit we?re interested in happens just after 45 minutes into the podcast:

?Because we have one for real.?

?Yeah, but that?s??

?Yeah, but that?s under wraps.?

?Sorry, I wasn?t supposed to say that, was I??

?We can edit that out. David can edit that out.?

?45 minutes. OK.?

It?s not immediately obvious whether it?s meant to be funny or not, because if this is IGN having a laugh then they?re toying with millions of hardcore PlayStation fans desperate for another bullet point ? the rest of us might find the comment rather more disposable but it?s still irresponsible given the timing. Still, it could of course be a genuine mistake and if so, this is the first actually committed confirmation that Sony are about to announce the PS3 Slim. Wouldn?t be the first time such a thing was leaked, eh?

Source: http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2009/07/18/ign...e-one-for-real/

Most likely a joke, but I'll post it anyway.

I think this is the worst kept secret since the ... uhm, moon.

It was never really a secret to begin with. Sony have followed roughly the same plan for the PlayStation 1 and 2 so it's reasonable to expect them to continue with the PlayStation 3. It's been more a question of when rather than if.

It was never really a secret to begin with. Sony have followed roughly the same plan for the PlayStation 1 and 2 so it's reasonable to expect them to continue with the PlayStation 3. It's been more a question of when rather than if.

Well, it is a "secret" because they are obviously trying to keep it under wraps and announce it at the right time for maximum impact and attention - PR 101.

I think this is the worst kept secret since the ... uhm, moon.

I think you are forgetting that other Sony secret, PSPGo :D

Some guy on Kotaku said his mother works for Sony and he's actually seen the PS3 Slim. Not much proof I know, but it sounds like he was being genuine.

PlayStation 3 Slim Madden Bundle Coming in August?

In the latest Listen UP (1UP.com's weekly podcast) episode, David Ellis revealed a new rumor saying that the PS3 Slim is coming in August and that it will bundled with Madden NFL 10. The transcript below can be heard at the 01:26:14 mark

"It's gonna be in August. Everything I've heard says it's coming in August, it's tied with Madden."

Sony already confirmed a three hours long press conference for GamesCom on August 18 and Madden's release date is August 14.

According to Ellis that's one of the reasons for Activision's CEO "threat" against Sony ? because they are tieing the release of the PS3 Slim with an EA game and not an Activision title.

Source: http://www.nextgn.com/2009/07/20/playstati...ming-in-august/

That'll move some units. Interesting remark on the Activision commentmighti> hold some truth.

I've heard from retail sources, which have been absolutely reliable in the past that PS3 Slim will launch throughout Europe on September 2 at 299€, official announcement at the GamesCon. We'll see but considering the same sources have been spot on for two years in a row (40GB+price cut and 80GB) I personally don't doubt them ;)

Which would make it around ?250...

You definitely won't be getting it for ?199, I thought ?224.99 might of been on the cards. We shall see.

Anyone know what the current Euro RRP isedit:/b> Seems it's 399€, http://www.game.fr/acatalog/CONSOLES_PLAYSTATION_3.html If so 100 euros off is sure to help in the EU.

Edited by Audioboxer

I'm hoping for the standalone console being ?224.99/229.99 in some retail stores with a R.R.P of ?250, and then it being ?250/260 with a game or two. This is considering I can currently purchase a 40gb/80gb console with Killzone 2, LBP and Uncharted for ?280 from GameStation here in Ipswich.

Sort of indirect musings here, but saw this on digitimes:

Sony PS3 components demand growing significantly

Taiwan OEMs recently have placed significant orders for key Sony PS3 components from IC distributors, with average monthly volume enough for making one million units of the games console in the third quarter, double the average in the second quarter, according to sources with IC distributors.

The sources estimated the growth momentum will remain strong through October thanks to the year-end holiday demand.

PS3's chipset is provided by Renesas Technology, and supply is falling short of the strong demand currently, the sources noted.

Sales of time division synchronizers used in PS3 have also increased, and shipments are expected to top four million units per month in the third quarter, added the sources.

I think it's also interesting to note that both Foxconn and Pegatron have recently reported big jumps in revenue or projected revenue, citing 'PS3 orders' among other things.. Digitimes had earlier reported those two as having won PS3 slim contracts.

Not that we needed more proof, but here you go anyway...

And some more 'useless' confirmation...

But this time, it seems to be confirmed by our contacts, certain wholesalers affirm that there will be a price-drop! And it gets better, because we can announce that there is a new version of the console that will come out!

The official anouncement of this new, less expensive version of the PS3 will be done during the press conference that the Japanese Giant will hold at Cologne on the occasion of gamescom on Tuesday, August 18th, at 18h French [4pm French time]!

Source [translated]: http://www.jeuxvideo.com/news/2009/0003600...se-confirme.htm