Longhorn sucks, sorry...

but that's just my opinnion. i know that the final release in 2005 is still a long way ahead and 4015 is supposed to be an early beta but it truly and uterly sucked.

i have a very good machine by all standards and it's damn slow. i liked the xp interface back when win xp was released but this new type of eye candy is so over the top it's disgusting, this is no more an operating system but some sort of port folio of the capabilities of the chaps over at redmond. i hate it, all this stuff is totally unneeded and i see no good reason why it's there. it will most likely appeal to 13 year olds but i don't think it's good for some serious work.

funny thing is, this friend of mine used to complain about the unneeded eye candy in windows xp and i said it was good because it was something new and good looking, and now i am in his position with longhorn.

oh, well, just my 2 cents:)

Perhaps Microsoft will make more of a distinction between Longhorn Pro and Longhorn Home? And because of Longhorns modular approach to things you can easily remove all traces of the new UI and the bloatware, or so sources say.

EDIT: I would just like to point out that the version of Longhorn you were running is an Alpha build, so you can't expect much.

Edited by Knight'

yeah neither do i like the UI... but hey, i didnt like XP either, and here i am using winXP with default luna... and now cant even stare at other win OSes as being ugly... Things change, one day you will be running Longhorn and saying "Wow! I hated this!??"

/Raptor

but that's just my opinnion. i know that the final release in 2005 is still a long way ahead and 4015 is supposed to be an early beta but it truly and uterly sucked.

i have a very good machine by all standards and it's damn slow. i liked the xp interface back when win xp was released but this new type of eye candy is so over the top it's disgusting, this is no more an operating system but some sort of port folio of the capabilities of the chaps over at redmond. i hate it, all this stuff is totally unneeded and i see no good reason why it's there. it will most likely appeal to 13 year olds but i don't think it's good for some serious work.

funny thing is, this friend of mine used to complain about the unneeded eye candy in windows xp and i said it was good because it was something new and good looking, and now i am in his position with longhorn.

well surprsing that, as it has like 1 and half years left till final.. so well done Genuis for thinking it sucks. *tut* *tut* :rolleyes: hehe :p

OMFG you are judging something thats in a Alpha development stage?

Judging something that is not gonna be released for another 2 years?

I and anyone with a brain knows that a Alpha release of an operating system is gonna be buggy, not be the same as it will be when finalised and not even have the same performance nor visual styling as it would have when finally released.

You amaze me with your opinions. Stupid opinions they are brainiac.

*shakes head*

I really want to know what the final name will be, has MS released any hints? :ninja:

It's gonna be called Windows2005 - Silent Ninja Home/Pro :ninja: :ninja:

well.... lol

It's gonna be called Windows2005 - Silent Ninja Home/Pro :ninja: :ninja:

well.... lol

LOL, that would truely suck :cry: I thought the next version of the MS OS couldn't carry the Windows name after a court ruling.

It's gonna be called Windows2005 - Silent Ninja Home/Pro  :ninja:  :ninja:

well.... lol

LOL, that would truely suck :cry: I thought the next version of the MS OS couldn't carry the Windows name after a court ruling.

Is that true?

i very well know that this is an early beta and is supposed to be buggy, i didn't go after the bugs here but the interface which will stay essentaially the same, and it's the one that sucks, no matter beta or final.

i very well know that this is an early beta and is supposed to be buggy, i didn't go after the bugs here but the interface which will stay essentaially the same, and it's the one that sucks, no matter beta or final.

It isn't even beta yet it is Alpha. The Interface will be changed like the Watercolour interface in Whistler.

It's gonna be called Windows2005 - Silent Ninja Home/Pro?:ninja::?:ninja:a:

well.... lol

LOL, that would truely suck:cry:y: I thought the next version of the MS OS couldn't carry the Windows name after a court ruling.

Is that true?

Yeah, as far as I'm aware. I believe it's because Windows is a generic name like stone or door etc.

Whistler was different to how XP is now.

Visually and also features.

:ninja:

EDIT

Pics removed.

Edited by Davey

Davy, AFAIK the theme used in beta two was "whistler", and the thing you are showing is just the unthemed GUI with some strange colours and a ugly Wallpaper. If it is slow, that's probably no wonder, if the GUI is to be rendered with 3D effects that would need some clever programming not to cause problems with Direct3D and OpenGL. And it is most likely done in software, it will surely use DirectX 10 or later for this; which is unwritten. Also, just like with WindowsXP there is most likely the option to turn it off.

Not to mention that average GFX-cards speeds will have doubled/tripled when Longhorn arrives.

lol thats the most uneducated view about longhorn in history.

The theme is just a placeholder... they dont want to give everything away

The alpha is like 1 percent of the true final. I mean cmon.. WinFs isnt even implented.

And remember there is going to be modes where you can turn off all the flashy stuff. Im sure once it progresses you will start to like it.

To me, Windows 2000 is still Microsoft's best operating system. Most professional, and doesn't give you constant problems. Yea, I'm sure Longhorn's gonna be great effect's wise, but where has the professionality gone again? It's probably gonna be like Windows XP Pro. Same thing, but with a little more control over your system. :rolleyes:

And don't call me one of those Mac addicts. I've been using for Windows for a long time (actually since DOS) and I used to love Windows, but lately Microsoft has been screwing around.

Heh. The approach to making WindowsXP was creating something that would make Joe User move away from the Win9x platform. It is basically the same as Windows 2000, with some tweaks here and there plus the fresh looks.

A long time a go, someone on the Microsoft newsgroups told me to switch from Windows 98(which I was using at the time) and go to Windows 2000, he said it would be the last "real" operating system Microsoft would produce. And in a way, he is right. Without the WindowsXP activation servers, all I've got is a CD with gibberish on it.

Longhorn is in the Alpha stages of development -- of course it's gonna suck... What the hell did you expect?! Yet another "useless" thread. :rolleyes:

This thread is one of the reasons why MS doesn't want you to know how Longhorn looks like. And no, the leaks arent intentional.