Longhorn sucks, sorry...

Wasn't going to reply to this silly thread, but... "RACIST!!!"? :blink:

LMAO. :rofl:

I'm personally not going to comment on Longhorn vs. XP, etc. until it's officially released, which is not for a pretty long while.

As I have mentioned in previous posts here, get DCE working or hardware mode and get WinFS functioning correctly just like thedarkavenger has and it shall run v.well.

Check out the Longhorn article at http://www.winsupersite.com first.

Yes Longhorn appears to be slow. I haven't actually tried it myself, as I don't see the point in installing an Alpha OS on any of my machines at the moment. However, take into consideration that Longhorn isn't designed to run on your AthlonXP 1700, or your Pentium 4 2.2GHz. While they're both very good processors, two years from now, with the release of Longhorn, they will be obsolete, and Longhorn will be designed to run on then processors of the era.

Secondly, Longhorn has yet to be optimised. The early builds of XP were also very very slow and were speeded up a fair bit by RTM (although not enough in my opinion.)

And lastly, the builds of Longhorn released are not from Lab6. Lab6 builds are the only builds which include the advanced video rendering effects which will be in the final version of Longhorn. Basically a huge part of the way Longhorn renders video is torn out in the leaked builds, and is therefore still using GDI/GDI+, which the new technology (the name escapes me at the moment) will make obsolete.

Its just like people complaining that winxp wont run full on with a 486 and 8 megs of ram.

We can't start judging longhorn at least until beta 1, with XP there was still quite a few changes between beta 1 and beta 2 so we probably wont have an accurate picture of longhorn until beta 2.

but that's just my opinnion. i know that the final release in 2005 is still a long way ahead and 4015 is supposed to be an early beta but it truly and uterly sucked.

i have a very good machine by all standards and it's damn slow. i liked the xp interface back when win xp was released but this new type of eye candy is so over the top it's disgusting, this is no more an operating system but some sort of port folio of the capabilities of the chaps over at redmond. i hate it, all this stuff is totally unneeded and i see no good reason why it's there. it will most likely appeal to 13 year olds but i don't think it's good for some serious work.

funny thing is, this friend of mine used to complain about the unneeded eye candy in windows xp and i said it was good because it was something new and good looking, and now i am in his position with longhorn.

oh, well, just my 2 cents:)

Um, lets see....

ALPHA! - the things not even in beta yet. Do you expect them to have the entire feature set built and programed into the first alpha. Don't think so.

4015 is supposed to be an early beta but it truly and uterly sucked.
Correction: Early Alpha
i have a very good machine by all standards and it's damn slow
Why are you even running it. Its for testing and building. Nothing more.

Your putting to much hope into a alpha build.

oh, man, the windows bigots.....

an OS is for using not for fanatical defence!!! as if someone threatens it, jeez....

ok, it's an alpha, i don't like it in it's CURRENT(!!!) stage, nevermind running slow. the GUI is over-the-top and i'm sticking to my opinion, and if it's going to change it will be most likely for the worse because MS will only implement more sh1ts into it, imo. and that's unneeded.

i, like all of you, hope that the final version will rock, but what i saw in 4015 i didn't like, okay? get it?

fine.

I am tired of spending resources on eye candy. I wrote a book with a 386 25mhz with DOS, and never had "speed problems" those started with win 3.1 and then continued. The same document that would open instantly in my 386 DOS would take 20 mins in a 386 with win 3.1 and 10 in a 486 with W95. I just had to upgrade hardware in order to keep up with software demands. Guess will go back to my old 386, reinstall dos 6, and start using wordperfect again. Now I am with w2k and looking for ways to remove all that crap that clutters it (i hate the wizards in xp!)

oh, man, the windows bigots.....

an OS is for using not for fanatical defence!!! as if someone threatens it, jeez....

ok, it's an alpha, i don't like it in it's CURRENT(!!!) stage, nevermind running slow. the GUI is over-the-top and i'm sticking to my opinion, and if it's going to change it will be most likely for the worse because MS will only implement more sh1ts into it, imo. and that's unneeded.

i, like all of you, hope that the final version will rock, but what i saw in 4015 i didn't like, okay? get it?

fine.

what would you rather have??

A. the ugliest GUI and operating system, yet the most stable able to run all your programs without crashing or

B. the prettiest GUI and operating system with all the eye candy turned on, but crashes everytime you try to run something???

what's really more important?? i really don't care if it's ugly, as long as it's stable that's all that matters. linux ain't the prettiest thing around but it's stable. windows xp may not be the most "adult" looking os around, but it's stable. when it all comes down to it, it's the stability of the operating system that is the most important. so when 05 rolls around, and longhorn is out and it might look ugly, but be stable as hell and you don't pick it up, i'd say that would be a pretty stupid decision.

There should be several things pointed out from these "assesments" of LH at build 4015.

1.)about 80% of the Graphics are holders including the entire Plex shell, (which basically is a xp shell with some extentions to allow for some of the other place holder graphics to be implemented)

2.) as it is in alpha state, debugging is turned on. So there is the overhead of debugging code

3.) Avalon isn't running in its final state. (actually just barely running at all in the main build of 4015)

4.) LH will be a OS that takes advantage of the hardware it is ran on. Streaming technologies, will be very important in LH even at the shell level.

5.) at least if you are going to judge the state of any system. At least wait until it is in a polished enough state to go to public beta. (even tech beta's sometimes are at a fairly rough state) At least at that point most of the features are implemented in some form or fashion

BTW most people that have seen LH since the beginning have agreed that Plex sucks.

El

macrosslover, i do not need a pretty system or an unpretty stable system, i need an OS to get on with my work and some fun = combo of these two, and win xp is the best for that, i love it. but longhorn is a total sh1t as of now, i don;t care if it will be more stable than XP, which i highly doubt (with all the eye-candy i think that will be impossible). i hope it gets redesigned, this 4015 is not good, maybe i should indeed wait for a public beta to make any comments but i trully hope that Plex sh1t gets overboard, that's it.

Goddamnit!

I hate you idiots!

It's like I'd go to a construction site of a house and tell the architect how sucky it is because the roof and brickwall ain't done!

Get a freakin' life!

bla bla bla bla

Any other programs that are still in very early development and wont be released for over a year that you would like to give us your final opinion on while you are at it? Because I know I would sure be interested!

Oh and I dont know about your version of Windows, but with mine I can turn off all the "eye candy" I want with only a few clicks. Microsoft has made no move to make me think that Longhorn will be any different.

How many times does the word placeholder have to be mentioned?

Probably till someone explains to all the people what a placeholder is.

You have to remember alot of people downloading LH have no idea that it's Alpha...hell I know people who think it's practically final

Goddamnit!

I hate you idiots!

It's like I'd go to a construction site of a house and tell the architect how sucky it is because the roof and brickwall ain't done!

Get a freakin' life!

roflmao

i've never tried LH :)

freeza

running LH4015 is a nightmare I think (<- in fact that's what most expected)

heavy memory leaks and useless eye-candies make your system runs like snail

I'm on Athlon 650 @ VIA KX133 512MB PC133

Redhat 9 runs (lim n-> ??) n times better than this sh1t:)::)::):)

freeza

Redhat 9 runs (lim n-> ??) n times better than this sh1t:)::)::):)

I love all the b'itching about an alpha. Acting as-if was released software:angry:y:

freeza

Redhat 9 runs (lim n-> ??) n times better than this sh1t&nbsp:)::)::):)

.........you were running longhorn on a Athlon 650mhz.....uh........righ:rolleyes:s:

wont dont you run it on a 386 and complain about it not working while you're at it?

LMFAO @ all the kiddies here busting caps over a little opinion on the next garbage that Billy Bob will be using to take control your pc's even more. Ive even heard that when final it wont even be able to run on any previous machines. Instead of whinning and bitching, you kiddies better be learning how to use a REAL operating system like Linux, because if you think XP was bad about spying and updating digital restrictions you havent seen anything yet. Maybe by then you will have outgrown the need for Windows to play with your crayons and games .

LMFAO @ all the kiddies here busting caps over a little opinion on the next garbage that Billy Bob will be using to take control your pc's even more. Ive even heard that when final it wont even be able to run on any previous machines. Instead of whinning and bitching, you kiddies better be learning how to use a REAL operating system like Linux, because if you think XP was bad about spying and updating digital restrictions you havent seen anything yet.? Maybe by then you will have outgrown the need for Windows to play with your crayons and games .

The thing that makes it soo much funnier is some Linux troll coming on here and saying that Linux is a true operating system.

You're more amusing then the kiddies.

PMSL

Edited by Davey